.460 Rowland

PDA

el Godfather
March 2, 2013, 07:32 AM
Dear THR:
I would to know more about 460 Rowland from those who have used it here. I am planning on buying a pistol in it, but I do not if anyone other than Wilson makes it.
Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about ".460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dan-O
March 2, 2013, 09:55 AM
Clark's Customs and of course Johnny Rowland offers conversion kits.

I'm tempted to buy a kit for a Glock 21.

SDGlock23
March 2, 2013, 11:39 AM
Interesting cartridge for sure. To me it would only be a good option for something to carry hunting and using heavy 250gr+ bullets. What you have to look at is that in the 185-230gr range you're going to end up shooting .45 ACP designed bullets way faster than they're meant to.

I load for the .45 Super, which suffers from the same thing, and the 460 is about 100-150 fps faster than even the Super. With a 5" ported KKM barrel in my G21 I'm getting 1300-1350 from a 200gr JHP. Nice in theory, but too fast. Penetration is poor, although it is destructive. 230gr at 1200 fps aren't that bad, but even the 230gr Gold Dot will blow apart at those speeds while the 230gr XTP holds up a little better but still sheds weight. I'm pretty sure the 460 Rowland claims a 185gr at over 1550 fps. What's the point? Even at 1100 fps it's on the verge of holding together, so add another 400 fps and you've got trouble.

I think that if you reload it's a good option, either the 460 Rowland or .45 Super and even then when using heavier bullets. In the Super I can get 255gr hardcast bullets close to 1200 fps, and 250gr JHP bullets over 1100. That's not fast enough to cause bullet failure, but still well short of a Ruger level .45 Colt.

ku4hx
March 2, 2013, 02:40 PM
The 460 Rowland is an interesting cartridge especially for us longtime bullet casters and hand loaders.

But I have little use for such power in a semi auto. If I want more power than a 10mm Auto can provide I move up to one of my 44 Magnum loads. If that seems to fall short I move a little higher in power to my 454 Casull. If I need still greater power, I grab a suitable rifle which lately has been a Henry in 45-70.

Elkins45
March 3, 2013, 07:53 AM
I just bought the Clark kit for the 1911. My interest is in shooting hard cast bullets. I've only begun trying it out, so I don't have much to add other than to say that the published velocities look easily obtainable.

captain awesome
March 3, 2013, 01:51 PM
I have one I converted from a Kimber custom 2. It has not fed as reliably as my other 1911's, though that may be because of the Kimber mags which I have heard from others they are terrible. I never even shot 45 acp through the Kimber, which I bought new for the purpose if the conversion. So I can't say as to whether the feeding issues are from the lack of breaking in, the 460 cartridge, or the mags, or if its just the gun. I need to shoot it more to find out. The recoil is not bad at all, the compensator works very well, and the cartridge hits hard just like Johny Rowland claims.

2zulu1
March 5, 2013, 03:13 AM
I've thought about getting a 1911 conversion a number of times, but as previously mentioned, JHPs and the Rowland don't mix. I can't see beating up a nice 1911 when I can carry a M29 Mountain that weighs in at 39oz, same weight as a Government model. The M29 will push a 300gr WFN 1050-1100fps and still be very controllable double action rapid fire.

If you are seriously interested in the Rowland, Fusion Firearms will make one up for you to your specifications at a very reasonable price.

Elkins45
March 5, 2013, 09:51 PM
I took mine out and tested some loads with it today. Function was good but accuracy with the loads I tested was terrible...don't know if the problem was me, the gun or the bullets.

Lotsa power, though!

Clark
March 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
I worked up 460 Rowland loads in May 2000 in a Republic Arms Patriot Pistol that was designed by Nehemia Sirkis and weighs 20 ounces. The two guys were were Republic Arms had a manual for the pistol that said "no +P". But the supported the idea of my project and sent me a number of free parts.

I posted in a similar thread
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=671121&highlight=patriot

If you enjoyed reading about ".460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!