HPX78 brass... some rims too wide?

PDA

1KPerDay
March 2, 2013, 02:34 PM
I've been decapping a bunch of HXP and misc GI M2 brass and about 3 out of 200 cases of HXP won't fit in the shellholder. it appears the rims are too wide... I've rotated them around to see if they'll go in another way but they won't go. I suppose they go in the recycle bucket? Obviously they worked at least once in my garand...

If you enjoyed reading about "HPX78 brass... some rims too wide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
March 2, 2013, 02:57 PM
i'd try a different manufacturer's shellholder

45lcshooter
March 2, 2013, 04:45 PM
+1^^^^ I have handfulls of different shell holders, a lot are duplicates and some with same maker some cases don't fit but then they fit in the next one.

chris in va
March 2, 2013, 05:04 PM
I've found there are nicks and bends on some case rims from when they are ejected and hitting the floor. A little file work gets them in the shell holder.

1KPerDay
March 2, 2013, 11:47 PM
Okay, I'll try another one.

Hacker15E
March 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
I agree with the nicks and bends comment. I shoot HXP through a Garand, and it is usually quite hard on the brass, both at the neck and at the rim.

Orlando
March 3, 2013, 03:22 PM
The Garand is very hard on brass, the extractor will bend the rims

1KPerDay
March 4, 2013, 01:45 PM
Yes, a few are obviously bent. However, on those, you can rotate the bend so it's not in the shellholder and it will enter. The ones that won't enter have no obvious dings/bends and won't enter no matter which way you rotate them.

Certaindeaf
March 4, 2013, 01:53 PM
Do the primers fall out/are they loose? Are they protruding?

1KPerDay
March 6, 2013, 05:10 PM
No.

Hacker15E
March 7, 2013, 07:26 AM
Have you measured the "too wide" rims with a micrometer and compared them with the ones that aren't too wide to fit? How do they compare to other .30-06 brass?

I've reloaded a good bit of HXP 78 brass and never noticed any inconsistency with the rim size. I have had some that were tough to get in and out of the shellholder, but that is not unique to HXP 78 -- I've had it with many military and civilian headstamp brass, and always have attributed it to the Garand's particular knack to twist and deform its brass.

1KPerDay
March 7, 2013, 12:06 PM
Have you measured the "too wide" rims with a micrometer and compared them with the ones that aren't too wide to fit?
duh... no, I actually haven't! I'll do that. Thanks! :cool:

1KPerDay
March 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
While we're on the subject: I shot 2 clips through my Fed Ord "tanker" this morning... what a kick that rifle is (when it's working). second clip ejected after 7th round, but anyway:

it really mangles the rims. dented, chewed up, etc. Can I try to bend them back into shape, or maybe sand out the chewed up bits, or should I just scrap them? I'm sure the timing's off or something. I need to send it to Shuff's or someone who knows what he's doing.

gamestalker
March 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
I run into that quite frequently with AL brass. It seems to be the nature of the beast. And about the worst shell holders I have that will cause issues with nicks and scrapes, is my Hornady shell holders. Hornady SH's are really tight, even on new brass.

GS

If you enjoyed reading about "HPX78 brass... some rims too wide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!