Lube Pills

PDA

PAMuzzleshooter
March 2, 2013, 06:27 PM
I've read a lot of posts about making lube pills for over the powder wads for cap and ball revolvers.

50/50 beeswax to crisco or 1 part to 1 part

My question is 50/50 by weight or volume?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lube Pills" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Doak
March 2, 2013, 07:37 PM
Volume: Measure 'em out in the hot, liquid state.

PAMuzzleshooter
March 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Doak

Driftwood Johnson
March 2, 2013, 11:48 PM
Howdy

It doesn't much matter. Just a chunk of beeswax and a glob of Crisco about the same size. It ain't rocket science and the ratio does not have to be perfect. Melt them in a double boiler so it doesn't catch fire.

PAMuzzleshooter
March 3, 2013, 04:52 AM
Thanks Driftwood. I made some lube before (using weight, as directed), and it seemed too soft for the lube pills. I'm going to use a bit of that and just add more beeswax to stiffen it up a bit.

pohill
March 3, 2013, 08:21 AM
I use beeswax and paraffin. I mix up the brew on a double boiler, and when it's done, I pour it down the barrel of a cap and ball revolver (remove barrel from frame, plug end of barrel with ear plug). When the lube mixture cools, I push it out of the barrel with a dowel and let it harden. Now I have lube sticks that are the perfect size for that particular caliber from which I can cut lube pills as needed to whatever thickness.
As far as the ingredients - I use about 50-50 beeswax and paraffin but you can experiement for hot/cold temps, etc.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/S4020206_zpse5420616.jpg

Pete D.
March 3, 2013, 08:35 AM
^^^^^^neat idea.

PAMuzzleshooter
March 3, 2013, 09:33 AM
Beats cutting them from a sheet of wax. Great idea!

If you enjoyed reading about "Lube Pills" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!