Whats the most weird thing you seem out of stock during this shortage

PDA

bugsbunny45
March 2, 2013, 11:21 PM
I have been really shocked by some of the things sold out at the gun stores.
1) 22lr who would have ever thought you could not get this
2) Plastic boxes to hold ammo. The local Academy was totally out and all the major places were out online. Who hoards boxes
3) 45 long colt how many of us actually shoot this..

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the most weird thing you seem out of stock during this shortage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fatelvis
March 2, 2013, 11:39 PM
The shortage of 22lr really blows me away. I never thought I would see the day......

Jason75979
March 2, 2013, 11:42 PM
Another 2Cool member here?;)

wally247
March 2, 2013, 11:42 PM
Not reloading supplies but a few weeks ago there were quite a few Ruger Blackhawks floating around here. Last week I decided to get one and of course I can't find one anywhere! Who would have thought there would be a single action shortage?

rcmodel
March 2, 2013, 11:43 PM
AR-15 gas rings out of stock at Brownell's & Midway was a real surprise.

I mean, how many gas rings can you use in a lifetime anyway??

So was .22 RF ammo.

rc

JRWhit
March 2, 2013, 11:45 PM
Cleaning patches. Really! Never thought I'd live to see the day we had a cleaning patch drought.

oldreloader
March 3, 2013, 12:48 AM
The shortage of rimfire really suprises me and I got caught with 2 boxes of 50 left!!

greyling22
March 3, 2013, 12:54 AM
22 vanished last panic so that doesn't surprise me. All the AR and "scary" stuff going poof!, that's to be expected. What does surprise is that EVERYTHING else is gone. 30/30 dies? ammo boxes? reloading presses? really? It's like everybody who is a shooter, or just became a shooter decided to start reloading. It's not just hoarders and scalpers grabbing components, it a whole wave of new people who don't know that they need to leave me some because the world revolves around me.

maybe in 2 years there will be some sweet deals on barely used presses.

bugsbunny45
March 3, 2013, 01:14 AM
Think about it you will be able to tell the grand kids how you lived through the Great Cleaning Patch Shortage of 2013.

ID-shooting
March 3, 2013, 01:14 AM
I guess the one that baffles me are the big empty spaces where 10-rd and less are supposed to be. I can see the 20 and 30 rd stuff but 7 rd 1911 mags and 6 rd LCP mags? Can't even find 5 rd mini 30/14 mags. No thought to even considering banning those.

greyling22
March 3, 2013, 01:24 AM
yeah! where are my cz 452 5 and 10 round mags? who's stocking up on these things. I just want a 2nd one.

280shooter
March 3, 2013, 02:04 AM
you want to see whats missing,,, go into midwayusa.com.. look around.. I went in there web site... All 223 anything....gone,, no back orders,, reloading presses.. not in stock.no back orders,,even parts for reloading presses, Dies.. are yo kidding me..forget about any kind of loaded ammo..I thought about running over to basspro to look for 22 ammo. I guess i wont waist my Gas,

rikman
March 3, 2013, 02:06 AM
22LR ammo....who woulda thunk it? My LGS found some old match stuff in the back, wolf match,aguila match eley prime....so I bought a few boxes to try...

greyling22
March 3, 2013, 02:17 AM
wolf match is awesome. super accurate in my guns. you will be pleased with everything but the price. (as compared to the now non-existant bulk stuff)

rikman
March 3, 2013, 02:21 AM
Cool, I'm looking forward to shooting it. I don't own a high end 22 like a S&W 41...I'll be using my workhorse 22's ...
S&W 617, Ruger Single Six180686

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

tooltech
March 3, 2013, 02:50 AM
Hoppes 9. Took 4 stops to find it.

blarby
March 3, 2013, 05:33 AM
LPP's

Mainly cuz I'm never out of them, and all of a sudden- POOF, no large pistol primers.

Catpop
March 3, 2013, 07:06 AM
I was OOT doing a dive job in southern NC this week! One of my quest is to call all the local gun shops to see if they have any 45 ACP pistol powders or LPP. Nice little store in Wilmington had a wide selection of powders- RD, 2400, Unique, etc (plus many others for rifles), but no BE which I am presently searching for.They did have 5 boxes of Remington LLP which I bought, I was also surprized to see many high capacity mags as well as all types of cool stuff including 2 ARs. Only 9mm was HP at $45/50.:)

Bullets at this shop: some 41 cal, big boxews of 38-55, some 6mm and some 25 cal

FROGO207
March 3, 2013, 08:42 AM
Revolvers in general.:what: Almost all the revolvers of any type/caliber as well as any 9MM pistols seem to have evaporated from the LGS shelves around here. The high end/oddball pistols and all those in 40 and 45 ACP are still all in stock. There was some .22 LR but at insane prices at one LGS, but that is their normal price for the uncommon variety ammo (Match, Sub Sonic, etc.).

tightgroup tiger
March 3, 2013, 09:01 AM
I can't get over the shortage of bullets. I always keep a large stash of primers around since they always seem to be the first thing to disapeer.
I've never had problems finding some kind of bullet to shoot, like now. I guess I'll have to go back to casting them again.

I couldn't figure out where all the .22lr went either but at the indoor range I shoot at 've seen an influx of new faces, older people like husband and wives, and alot of females and most all of them are shooting 22s. Guess they don't like recoil, or they thought there was a never ending supply of it.

I'm guessing that people that have never owned a gun before are starting out with 22s. It makes sense I suppose, most of us learned to shoot with one when we were kids and there are a herendous amount of new gun owners around now.

I also noticed that all the cheap bullet molds are gone also.

rikman
March 3, 2013, 09:37 AM
Frogo

Me too. I was saving for a S&W 586 and the LGS cabinets are empty. I thought all everyone wanted was black guns.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OilyPablo
March 3, 2013, 09:38 AM
9X18 (aka 9mm Makarov) It's just gone now.

Not really answering your question but the most amazing thing to me:

The complete and utter inability of the US/world ammunition manufacturing and distribution scheme to keep up with demand. It's not even close.

Roger123
March 3, 2013, 09:41 AM
I just ordered stuff to start casting and the Lee lead ladle/dipper thing was out of stock, I thought that was odd! Guess I really didn't need it as a SS spoon will work the same but It's on the way now though. Along with bullet sizing dies, a lead melting pot and 38/357 and 45 ACP molds, can't wait to get started!

Constrictor
March 3, 2013, 09:49 AM
I dont get all these threads. Its been well reported that there is a run on all guns, ammo and everything to do with guns. I would assume this to mean everything for shooting, primers, powder, bullets, raw lead to mold bullets, molds, 22lr ammo, cleaning kits, patches, solvents, brushes, gun safes, gun pouches, gun cases both plastic and metal, bullet boxes, reloading equipment, scales, powder measures, dies, presses, bolts to mount presses, wrenches to tighten bolts on presses, gloves to hold wrenches to tighten bolts on presses, and so on and so forth. everything to do with our hobby is in short supply.

FROGO207
March 3, 2013, 10:01 AM
^^^^ Yeah the above post is an obvious answer but it IS interesting to see what different things are missing or yet still there in different areas however. Seems there is no rhyme nor reason for this localized difference and if one was to say they had it figured out---------Yeah riiiight.:rolleyes::D To me the BIG thing is that due to the political climate with respect to the 2nd A there a LOT of new firearms owners and that is a good thing for our side of things.:)

mott
March 3, 2013, 10:22 AM
small spare parts for my pistols. Been waiting months from midway for buffer
and springs for buckmark, weeks waiting on mark ruger parts from shop ruger
dot com. Midway shows out of stock, Ruger shows in stock but must be
bottle necked on shipping. that seens to be the weak point at Ruger.

HOWARD J
March 3, 2013, 10:43 AM
All the gun shops around here out of impact bullet pullers

JRWhit
March 3, 2013, 02:23 PM
9X18 (aka 9mm Makarov) It's just gone now.
Makes you wonder how many 9x19s are getting Makarovs stuffed into them.
:confused:
Wouldn't think they'd fit but I've never tried it.

Huskerguy
March 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
I happened to be in my local Walmart yesterday talking to the guy behind the counter who is a member of the same range I belong to. He said he hasn't seen 22LR for over two weeks. In the 10 minutes we stood there talking, at least half a dozen people came by looking/asking for 22LR ammo and other ammo. Locally a guy is selling it for $65 a brick. Some people were talking about looking all over to find stuff almost sound desperate. As I walked away I just shook my head and said "when" the time comes for this country, these ammo shortages will be minor, throw in food, medicine, and other stuff and what a bartering system will be going on with ammo. It all seems a bit surreal to think that just a few shocks going out from some politicians can cause this.

megaton
March 3, 2013, 02:36 PM
I was caught off guard by the shortage of reloading presses, dies, ect. I purchased a Hornady LNL progressive in October but (stupidly) only purchased 1 shell plate, the one for 9mm as that was the only cartridge I had a large supply of bullets for. Several times while at the LGS my wife suggested that I buy ALL the shell plates that I needed but I (STUPIDLY) declined. I figured I would just buy them as needed. Fast forward a few months and now the shell plates for all the major calibers are unavailable. Im just happy that I have the 9mm shell plate and plenty of components to load.

I can still load match rounds on the single stage for my rifles as well so its not all bad.

bugsbunny45
March 3, 2013, 04:11 PM
My point in this post was how things we never ever thought would be in short supply are.
Yes I could see certain types of guns and ammo. But cleaning patches gone..
paper boxes to hold ammo, The local Academy Sporting goods was out of most types of hearing protection ysterday 03-02. .

jinxer3006
March 3, 2013, 07:32 PM
+1 on 22 ammo.

I'm also surprised by the shortage reloading equipment (presses, dies, etc.).

bogon48
March 3, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ammunition is sells out fast, even in unpopular calibers. But in 30 years, I've never seen reloading supplies sell out around here. Bullets, primers, powders - now even these go fast.

mayassa
March 3, 2013, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised .17 HMR is now out of stock everywhere.

JRWhit
March 3, 2013, 09:56 PM
I think here in about a year or two our best dreams will come true. Armslist and gun shows everywhere will be completely saturated with never opened presses and dies, bullets and primers, guns too, from people begging to get rid of it. I think after all blows over we are going to have some really good bargains as the market will be overwhelmingly riddled with once bought never used goods.Or even slightly used goods. ;)
After 2008 blew over prices took a decent dive, I think this time it'll dive even further.

Jesse Heywood
March 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
3) 45 long colt how many of us actually shoot this..

During the Great Panic of 2008 45 Colt was one of the first items to be depleted. There is a lot of money in the single action shooting community. It was over a year before I was able to buy Starline brass.

Of course I remember the great toilet paper shortage of 73....

Still Shooting
March 3, 2013, 10:43 PM
Night before last I went onto Midway, Graf's, to look at bullets. Not only was the expected stuff (5.56, 7.62, 9mm, .357) gone, but just about everything!

-And powders! Specialized powders that very few can utilize well, as well as all of the usual stuff, and in big containers, too! I'm wondering how many of the newbie reloaders went out and bought bulk powder because it was all that was left, and now will find out it's not good for reloading the caliber(s) they plan to reload.

Yesterday I went up to the local feed, grain, fishing and LGS place in the small town near me, and thought I'd pick up a box of .22 Hornet - he usually has a good supply, but now? -None! Who uses .22 Hornet for a SHTF HD round??? And how many Hornet rifles are there in the area?

Of course, what is happening with the manufacturers is that they have no doubt scrambled to fill the production lines with the high volume calibers, and the unusual ones aren't getting produced at all. When the dealers and wholesalers run out, that's the end of those rounds for the duration.

greyling22
March 3, 2013, 10:48 PM
jrwhit, a mak case will not fit in a 9mm luger gun. they go in the mag fine, but will not chamber. The bullet is fatter. I know because a gal next to me at the range jammed her gun up good trying to do that. Moron at academy had given her mak shells when she asked for 9mm bullets, and neither knew better.

280shooter
March 4, 2013, 01:11 AM
I looked into Midway again tonight the only 223 bullets they have. is 40 gr,
I then looked at 7 mm and 8mm.. not much in there for the 8 mm.. what they do have, is not what I shoot.. Who would have thought.. huh..
There was a gun show in my area this week end, I know it would of been a bust for Powder and bullets. let alone primers..so I didnt go..

788Ham
March 4, 2013, 03:28 AM
I was dwnstrs earlier this evening straightening up my reload bench, moving some ammo boxes into the chest of drawers down there, noticed I had quite a few .38's and .357's to move around. I opened the top most drawer, I was flabbergasted, I had over 10 bricks of .22's in there. I'd forgotten about those!! By the time I moved them all outta there, I must have 15 bricks total, some of them 100 round plastic boxes. I won't sell any of them, but if some folks are getting $65 to $80 a brick, makes a guy wonder about parting with some of them. Sorry guys, thats the weirdest thing about these times for me.

renomedia
March 4, 2013, 12:47 PM
We gun owners are supposed to be resourceful. How hard can it be to go to a fabric store and buy a yard of 100% cotton flannel and a good pair of scissors to make your own cleaning patches? I can get hundreds of patches of any size I need from one yard of cloth.

What I've noticed in my area is the lack of .308 bullets in any usable, to me,
weights. There are some 200gr and some 100gr. Nothing else is on the shelves. Even the premium bullets are gone like the Nosler Partitions and the Swift Sciroccos. Luckily I was able to barter some 22 cal bullets for some 30 cal to get me by for now.

atvalaska
March 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
there not much to be had up here either......BUT there are lots of 6mm bullets to be had ....dam near bought a 6mm rifle just cause of that fact.....then again I loaded up on stuff last oct, as I seen to many folks with there hand out come voting time....imo

steve s
March 4, 2013, 08:19 PM
I stock up when the shelves are full and the prices cheap "it is biblical" Only fools live out of the store. What will happen when food is short? There is more people that eat than own guns. I see bare shelves when I go to have a look.

OilyPablo
March 4, 2013, 08:30 PM
Weird?

I'm missing my two local ammo companies from the gun show. No ammo to sell.

James2
March 4, 2013, 09:55 PM
Today I stopped by the local "toy" store and they were out of 22LR, 22 bullets, Primers of all sizes. The only powder they had was some Black Powder. No smokeless. They did have a few revolvers on the shelf and a couple of 45 1911 type autos.

Coop45
March 4, 2013, 10:18 PM
Patience?

forty5
March 4, 2013, 10:44 PM
The thing that surprised me the most was Speer #14 reloading manual. Go to Amazon.com and search for Speer #14,they don't have any in stock, but there are offers to sell starting at about $250.00 up to over $500.00. Amazing!!! By the way, I have two, but they are not for sale.:)

SSN Vet
March 4, 2013, 11:06 PM
1911 sears

I don't know how Midway sells anything, when they're OOS on everything!

BullfrogKen
March 4, 2013, 11:32 PM
I guess nothing about this shortage surprises me anymore.

Acerdog
March 4, 2013, 11:45 PM
Went to get some #11 caps for my BP pistol and they are gone.

JRWhit
March 4, 2013, 11:55 PM
jrwhit, a mak case will not fit in a 9mm luger gun. they go in the mag fine, but will not chamber. The bullet is fatter. I know because a gal next to me at the range jammed her gun up good trying to do that. Moron at academy had given her mak shells when she asked for 9mm bullets, and neither knew better.
I was pretty sure they wouldn't, That's case positive number one and probably why the 9x18 mak disappeared. I would say that she is not alone and many others have purchased 9x18 only to find they can't shoot em.

Anmut
March 5, 2013, 12:11 AM
Strangest thing I've seen missing from the shelves locally here is for sure the .22lr - but most surprisingly there never has been any run on the .22mag or 17HMR.

BemidjiDweller
March 5, 2013, 01:09 AM
Ruger Blackhawk front grip frame screws :what:

I needed one last month for a blued .44MAG I bought used, and there were none anywhere. I finally managed to find one SS screw at some obscure site.

280shooter
March 5, 2013, 01:42 AM
I wanted to call midway, and tell them,, why dont you just list what you do HAVE..I mean crap you go page after page,,, OOS...no back orders,, Any how,, it should get better,,hell it has to get better,,

cougar1717
March 6, 2013, 03:16 PM
I have to admit, shortages of 22Mag and 17HMR really surprised me. I guess everyone will be eating squirrel in our second obamageddon. Most of the shortages I understand - people want an AR-15 or hi-cap pistol out of fear of a ban. Can't get ammo for your newly bought 9/40/45/223? - "Well, I want to shoot something!" 22LR gone. "I need to clean my newly bought gun!" Cleaning supplies gone. "Can't find 22LR. Tired of waiting for 9/40/45/223 ammo, I guess I will start reloading!" Reloading supplies gone. This time is worse than 2008-09, but this too shall pass.

PhotoBiker
March 6, 2013, 10:55 PM
The 22LR is a real PIA as I had to start rationing a few months ago.

I make a point to swing by the LGS during the week on their restocking day (Thursday) and haven't found 22LR at all, even overpriced rounds that I normally wouldn't buy.

The only thing I can think of is a bunch of people who jumped on the .223 bandwagon also bought .22 conversions thinking they could get around the shortage...

colorado_handgunner
March 6, 2013, 10:58 PM
It amused me that some places sold out of 17hmr! Really?

PhotoBiker
March 6, 2013, 10:59 PM
Actually, let me add .308 brass. It is actually rarer than .22LR right now.

Cleftwynd
March 7, 2013, 03:51 AM
I just stopped by my LGS and picked up some H4350, H4831SC, RL22, Bullseye, blue dot, IMR 7828, Unique, 700X, 2 bricks LRP and 3 bricks LPP.

Oh wait, I am in Canada :P

simonjester
March 7, 2013, 12:51 PM
I am just amazed at my local Sportsman's warehouse the ammo shelf, reloading component shelf, ammo storage box shelf are completely empty. The shot gun ammo shelves are down to birdshot for any gauge with 28 and 410 being the most in stock. It has been this way since mid January week after week.

I see person after person walk in, then walk out not purchasing anything. Wonder how long these places will stay in business like this.

I wonder if these places will just eliminate the gun / ammo sections and add more running shoes....

Stopped by Dicks and they had federal 22LR in stock!!! 50 round box for 10.99!!! :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the most weird thing you seem out of stock during this shortage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!