How do I quote another's post in my post

PDA

The Real Hawkeye
March 12, 2004, 09:46 AM
I am a member of a number of similar discussion boards. Usually, to quote, you just select the quote option, and the quoted text appears in your post ready to be responded to, and identifying who you are quoting. I don't see this option anywhere on the screen, yet I see that other people quote in their posts. How is this done here? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I quote another's post in my post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
March 12, 2004, 03:15 PM
First select the info you want to quote, highlite it by clicking at the beginning and holding down the left button and dragging it to the end of the stuff to be quoted, then right click on the highlited stuff and select copy. now go to the thread you want to reply in and select reply. A new page will pop up and click on the Quote button and then paste the info into the dialog box that pops up.

The Real Hawkeye
March 12, 2004, 03:19 PM
Ok, I just tried it with what you wrote, and nothing happened. :banghead:

The Real Hawkeye
March 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
Nope, just tried it again. I highlighted what I wanted to quote. Then I right clicked and chose copy. Then I clicked Reply. Then I put the cursor in the box and, from Edit, selected Paste. Nothing happened.

The Real Hawkeye
March 12, 2004, 03:25 PM
First select the info you want to quote, highlite it by clicking at the beginning and holding down the left button and dragging it to the end of the stuff to be quoted, then right click on the highlited stuff and select copy. now go to the thread you want to reply in and select reply. A new page will pop up and click on the Quote button and then paste the info into the dialog box that pops up.Ok, now I see what I was doing wrong. I needed to use the Paste from the right click, and not the Paste from the Edit. Thanks. I got it now. :D

Bacchus
March 12, 2004, 03:40 PM
now I see what I was doing wrong. I needed to use the Paste from the right click, and not the Paste from the Edit. Thanks. I got it now.

Cool! I never knew how to do it, either.

The Real Hawkeye
March 12, 2004, 05:15 PM
Cool! I never knew how to do it, either.Live and learn, my friend. Live and learn. ;)

Mal H
March 15, 2004, 10:45 AM
Live and learn, my friend. Live and learn.

Hmmm ... I copied the above with the mouse right click menu and then pasted using Edit -> paste. Worked ok as I thought it should. I wonder why yours didn't? Which browser/version and which operating system are you using? Strictly curiosity questions.

Trebor
April 22, 2004, 01:10 AM
I still don't understand why there isn't a regular "Reply w/Quote" button. Is there any specific problem or reason?

tyme
April 22, 2004, 08:11 AM
Yes. People tend to quote entire messages without removing bits unimportant to their reply. The quote button was removed to discourage that practice.

TheBluesMan
April 22, 2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by tyme:
Yes. People tend to quote entire messages without removing bits unimportant to their reply. The quote button was removed to discourage that practice.

On the pleasant spring afternoon of March 26, 1997, as Gail Atwater was driving her children home after their soccer practice at 15 miles per hour through her residential neighborhood, she violated Section 545.413 of the Texas Transportation Code. Neither Gail Atwater, her four-year-old son nor her six-year-old daughter were wearing their seat belts. Detecting this breach of the peace and dignity of the state, Lago Vista police officer, Bart Turek, set about to protect the community from the perpetration of such a crime. In doing so, he brought to bear the full panoply of means available to accomplish his goal -- verbal abuse, handcuffs, placing Gail Atwater under custodial arrest, and hauling her to the local police station. It was not a proud moment for the City of Lago Vista.
- Robert M. Parker, 5CA, Atwater v. City of Lago Vista

It is especially annoying when someone quotes an entire post that appears directly above his and then only adds one sentence to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I quote another's post in my post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!