Concealed Carriers, do you carry spare magazines?

PDA

Cryogaijin
March 3, 2013, 06:11 AM
If so, how many?

If not, what is the capacity of your primary carry piece?

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carriers, do you carry spare magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kyletx1911
March 3, 2013, 06:49 AM
2, 8 rounders

MrTwigg
March 3, 2013, 07:52 AM
Every defensive handgun instructor I've met has dunned it into me to always have at least one spare. When the Pro's do it, it's probably a good idea.

So for me it's one spare while on the belt and two when I use the shoulder rig.

PabloJ
March 3, 2013, 08:04 AM
Capacity five and no spares. I would have to carry spare moon clip(s) in something like ointment jar and would not be able to reload in time so there isn't any point in doing that in first place.

Sauer Grapes
March 3, 2013, 09:01 AM
No. 7+1 or 12+1

v8stang289
March 3, 2013, 09:21 AM
Yes. Most days I carry a p3at with one spare 6 round mag. The rest of the time I carry a 1911 with a spare 7 round mag. It's not much more weight (especially the p3at mag) but it effectively doubles capacity and is insurance in case a primary mag malfunctions.

jmace57
March 3, 2013, 09:40 AM
I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 with 7 + 1 in a right front pocket holster - no spare.

Creature
March 3, 2013, 09:44 AM
I carry a Colt Detective Special and a 6-bullet Bianchi Speed Strip in my front right pocket.

colorado_handgunner
March 3, 2013, 09:45 AM
Not usually when carrying a semi. Two speed loader strips with the revolver when pockets allow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bikerdoc
March 3, 2013, 09:48 AM
No matter the caliber, always a spare mag.

ID-shooting
March 3, 2013, 09:55 AM
Yes, one.

scaatylobo
March 3, 2013, 10:07 AM
I never leave the house armed [ and I always CCW ] without at the VERY least - one reload for whatever I am carrying.

If the plan is to be more than 5 miles from home [ yes I keep track ] then at least 2 reloads,and very likely a BUG and that will have a reload.

Right now my primary is a XDs and I am carrying 1 - 7 round reload,but the 5 mile rule in effect = then I have 2/7 rounders on belt or in 5:11 pockets.

[BUG ] Ankle carry might be a S&W 442 and a Bianchi speed strip as spare ammo,in pocket as it lays flat.

If its the Ruger lcp,thenn a spare mag in pocket as the lcp is usually pocket carry [ the lcp is a BUG ].

Nikdfish
March 3, 2013, 10:14 AM
One if carrying a double stack (12+), two if carrying a single stack (7+).

Guess 20 is my base comfort level ;-)

Nick

Torian
March 3, 2013, 10:28 AM
I carry two spares, whether I'm carrying my 9mm Hi Power or 10mm Witness Match

allaroundhunter
March 3, 2013, 10:35 AM
Yup, a 9 rounder if I am carrying my Colt Commander (.38 Super), a 15 rounder if I'm carrying my Glock 19, and a 17 rounder if I am carrying my M&P9.

Just one spare regardless of what gun I am carrying (for now).

repawn
March 3, 2013, 10:38 AM
Yes - 2 spares plus 15+1 in the gun. I find the magazines balance the weight of the gun.

mic214
March 3, 2013, 10:41 AM
I pack a G-36. I carry a spare mag on my belt and two more in my Maxpedition bag that is always in the truck:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/G36.jpg

When I carry my S&W M-36, I carry two speed strips in the shoulder rig:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/M36c.jpg

460Kodiak
March 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
No, I don't. 5 shots in my Sp101, and 6 to 8 in my XDs, depending on which mag I have in it.

jim243
March 3, 2013, 01:10 PM
1 extra mag in the left hand jacket pocket.

Jim

Mikhail Weiss
March 3, 2013, 01:15 PM
Yes. Sometimes. Lately that means about 50% of the time. Seems to be based upon how long I expect to be out and about. Long time, yes, I carry a spare. Short trip to the store? No spare. Just what's in the G19.

jeepnik
March 3, 2013, 01:16 PM
With autos, always a spare. Not just for a reload, but in the event the mag decides to act up.

With revolvers, one reload, usually in a speed strip. Although when I carry a revolver set up for moon clips, I'll carry one of those.

Newcatwalt
March 3, 2013, 01:18 PM
No. I just have the five in my j-frame which I normally just slip into my pocket.

Feanaro
March 3, 2013, 01:29 PM
With revolvers, I generally carry one speedloader but don't think it necessary. That is, I've never heard anyone complain about having too much ammo but I don't consider a spare reload functionally necessary. The speedloader lives in a pocket (usually a coat pocket) while carrying.

I always carry a spare with my XDs. Magazines and ammunition are the weak point of an automatic pistol, so I always carry extra. I only have one extra magazine right now and it resides in my pocket. When I get another magazine and some decent IWB mag holders, I'll carry two that way.

Spawn91
March 3, 2013, 01:33 PM
I carry 2 full mags in my bugout bag and keep one in my truck console .. I do carry a full size G17 so I figure 17+1 is more then enough to get me out of a given situation.. I've test all my mags so I know they are reliable .. Oh and I keep a glock 18 31 rounder at home

smalls
March 3, 2013, 01:57 PM
I've gotten a bit lazy with it lately, and I'm kind of ashamed because I am always saying that having a reload is a necessity. So normally, yes I carry a 9 round spare fir my. 9mm 1911, but for probably 2 weeks I haven't.

OptimusPrime
March 3, 2013, 02:14 PM
Nope, just the 13 in the mag that's loaded.

mljdeckard
March 3, 2013, 02:28 PM
I carry at least one, sometimes two, depending on the rig. My Galco Miami Classic only has room for two, and it's off-balance if I only carry one. But for IWB, I carry one plus a flashlight. I think I am much more likely to need a flashlight than a third magazine.

USAF_Vet
March 3, 2013, 02:31 PM
Sometimes, depends on where I'm going and how long I'll be out.

12+1 in the pistol, and a 15 rounder on my belt if I choose to carry a spare.

Sergei Mosin
March 3, 2013, 04:39 PM
If carrying an autoloader, I always carry one spare magazine.

mnhntr
March 3, 2013, 04:52 PM
yes 1

psyopspec
March 3, 2013, 06:06 PM
At least one on me when I CCW. I also keep an extra magazine in the vehicle, and one in whatever backpack/expedition/brief case I happen to be carrying that day.

Dr_B
March 3, 2013, 06:10 PM
Just 6 +1 .40 s&w in my Shield. I take spares when I hike though.

Charles S
March 3, 2013, 06:16 PM
Every defensive handgun instructor I've met has dunned it into me to always have at least one spare. When the Pro's do it, it's probably a good idea.

That sums it up nicely.

Charles

greenmtnguy
March 3, 2013, 06:42 PM
Usually I have my J-frame with an extra speed strip or two. My HD revolver is in a quick access safe with at least 1 speedloader next to it for easy grabbing.

velojym
March 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
I usually carry one spare mag with the LC9.... mostly because I only have the one spare. :)

With the XD45, it just depends. If I'm pocketing the spare, it'll be one. If I'm wearing the carrier, I'll have either two or three spares, depending on whether I also have one in a pocket. I figure a box or so of .45 oughta serve pretty well,
and when carrying the 9, two single stacks still beats a stern look.

Inebriated
March 3, 2013, 07:06 PM
I'm either carrying:
-G19 with 15+1, and a spare G17 magazine w/+2 Baseplate (19 rounds) or extra G19 magazine (15 rounds)
-G26 with 12+1, and the same spare G17 mag or G19 mag.

I carry the extra mag more for any kind of malfunction, than extra ammo. But, the extra ammo is always nice.

Shmackey
March 3, 2013, 07:08 PM
No.

Narwhal
March 3, 2013, 07:10 PM
Yes, 1 spare magazine. The pistol holds 16 in the winter, 11 in the summer and the backup mag has 15 rounds regardless.

Ehtereon11B
March 3, 2013, 07:16 PM
Depends on where I am going. If going downtown or to a equally undesirable part of the state I will load and carry an extra mag on my belt. Otherwise I just use the 12 or 13 rounder in my carry weapon.

Sam1911
March 3, 2013, 07:20 PM
The predominant cause of malfunctions in an auto is the magazine.

So, absolutely I'm going to carry a spare. And, yeah, that extra ammo sure might come in handy.

"I was in a gunfight and was completely hampered by having too much ammo!"...said No-One, Ever. ;)

Fryerpower
March 3, 2013, 07:23 PM
8 +1, I carry one spare magazine.
6 +1, I carry two spare magazines.

bpl
March 3, 2013, 07:24 PM
I carry one extra for whatever I'm carrying.

bigfatdave
March 3, 2013, 07:26 PM
Of course I carry a reload, a spare magazine or two is nothing compared to carrying a gun in the first place

I might actually need a reload
I might need a mag that works in a hurry
I might need to refill the gun after I actually need to use it

Fleetman
March 3, 2013, 07:31 PM
no, I carry a 6+1 9mm and a P3AT.

walking arsenal
March 3, 2013, 07:34 PM
I used to carry a spare and now I typically don't.

My reasoning is this. My gun is for self defense. Most self defense confrontations happen happen within 21 feet. If my gun jams and the bad guy is inside that and still willing to fight after being shot at I'm hosed. There won't be time for clearing jams. Heck, there would hardly be time to reload! If my gun quits at that distance the bad guys will be on me and then it's cat fight time and the knife gets involved.

If the fight happens beyond conversation distance then it's probably not self defense anymore and then you have to analyze what you missed to get there. Typically you have to talk to someone before you can decide if you have to shoot at them or not.

What's smart is a gun with a lot of rounds already in it with a regularly maintained magazine and good ammo.

My carry piece is a Springfield XD sub-comp with 14 rounds in it.

bigfatdave
March 3, 2013, 07:47 PM
walking arsenal, so what do you do after, when you're standing somewhere you just needed a gun, and have an empty gun?

walking arsenal
March 3, 2013, 07:58 PM
Not be there, if I can help it. Situational awareness being what it is I try to avoid what trouble I can.

I don't consider myself ill armed with 14 rounds.

Talk to the guys on here packing a 5 shot snubby with no reloads if you're looking for a debate. If I carry a pocket gun I almost always drop a reload in the other pocket to keep at least 10 rounds on me.

WRGADog
Gun is 6 + 1, and I always carry a spare 8 round mag.

Plan2Live
Most self defense confrontations happen happen within 21 feet. If my gun jams and the bad guy is inside that and still willing to fight after being shot at I'm hosed. Ah yes, the Tueller drill. I guess everyone presumes that in such a scenario the defender is required to stand perfectly still and not allowed to move.

Yes, I carry at least one spare magazine. The reasons are numerous. The overriding reason for me is it just seems to make sense.

kostner
March 3, 2013, 08:10 PM
Carry a SW442 & 6-bullet Bianchi Speed Strip in my front right pocket.

The Lone Haranguer
March 3, 2013, 08:20 PM
I carry a spare magazine for a reload with any gun. My pistols hold 14 and 15 rounds. If I were to carry a gun with a slim, "single-stack" magazine I might carry two, if for no other reason than it takes up very little extra space. There are several good reasons to do so, chief among them that even with 15 rounds you might still shoot the gun dry; it is prudent to reload after the main "action" is over because you may not know immediately how many rounds you fired; or a "double feed" stoppage that requires pulling out the in-gun magazine.

olderguns
March 3, 2013, 08:22 PM
Yes I carry a G29 12+1 chambered, and two G20 mag in a forbus double mag carrier, also carry a S&W 442 in my front pocket, with a box of 50 158grain 38s in the glove box.

Aikibiker
March 3, 2013, 08:46 PM
I figure if I have to use my CCW then I had better wait around for the cops. If I don't then they will think I am a murderer instead of a law abiding citizen that walked into the wrong place at the wrong time. Things could go harder for me during the investigation that comes afterwards in that case.

I carry an extra magazine so that after a defensive shooting while I am waiting around for the cops to show up I can do it with a loaded gun. I have noticed that bad guys tend to have friends. For the most part when the shooting starts those friends tend to bail on them and run. Sometimes they do not. Or they do not run far and get their courage back.

I want to have a full gun if that happens before the cops come and secure the scene.

I am not to worried about clearing a double feed in a gunfight. I reckon I won't survive the experience unless I am part of an armed group and someone can cover my sector while I get my gun running again. Then again, everyone I know carries a gun, even my mom so I just might get that coverfire if I need it.

khegglie
March 3, 2013, 08:54 PM
I carry a spare mag and/or a spare gun.

627PCFan
March 3, 2013, 08:56 PM
Extra moon clip in a California comp moon clip holder on my belt. Not wild about it but it Carries well and beats having a tennis ball Sized hunk of ammo thumping around in my pants pocket. No extra ammo with my 638

TarDevil
March 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
One 17 round spare for my SR9c on my belt, another in my pocket. Occasionally I'll only carry one spare.

Texan Scott
March 3, 2013, 10:22 PM
Never with a revolver ... :neener:

doc2rn
March 3, 2013, 10:48 PM
I carry a NY reload, so no spare magazine needed.

Bobson
March 3, 2013, 10:49 PM
I know I should, and was always taught to carry at least one for clearing malfunctions, but most days I don't. When I do bring a spare, its always just one. EDC capacity is 15.

Old Dog
March 3, 2013, 11:30 PM
Spare magazines? Whatever for? If I have a malfunction with my semiauto that renders it into a 38-ounce paperweight, I'll simply throw the pistol at my adversary, and if that doesn't work, I'll instantly apply my mad ninja martial arts skills against him (even if he should be armed with a firearm that is clearly functional) ...

If you carry a semiauto, and you DON'T carry a spare mag, I'd suggest you switch to a revolver and prayer.

Takem406
March 3, 2013, 11:48 PM
Spare magazines? Whatever for? If I have a malfunction with my semiauto that renders it into a 38-ounce paperweight, I'll simply throw the pistol at my adversary, and if that doesn't work, I'll instantly apply my mad ninja martial arts skills against him (even if he should be armed with a firearm that is clearly functional) ...

If you carry a semiauto, and you DON'T carry a spare mag, I'd suggest you switch to a revolver and prayer.

Ditto! I carry 9 plus one in my 27 then another 9 round mag and if I can conceal it a Glock 22 15 round magazine. Though I'm going to go to carrying 23 mags when my 23c comes.

In God and Glock we Trust

cheesebigot
March 3, 2013, 11:55 PM
Twelve (12) in the gun and another mag of 12 in the pocket (or shoulder holster if I'm feeling fancy).

The extra mag helps to fill the last empty pants pocket (wallet, keys, phone, mag).

Bobson
March 4, 2013, 12:44 AM
The extra mag helps to fill the last empty pants pocket (wallet, keys, phone, mag).
You wear cargos exclusively, or what?

I put my keys in my right pocket, phone and knife in left pocket, wallet in back-right. Nothing else I'm willing to sit on but my wallet, so my back-left pocket is always empty. I don't like overstuffing my pockets, b/c I want quick access to everything in them.

hammerclaw56
March 4, 2013, 05:55 AM
Always if I have to use my handgun I want to be fully prepared for multiple threats

WoodchuckAssassin
March 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
If it's my 1911, I carry a spare 8-rounder.

If it's my revovler, I usually just throw a handful of extra rounds in my jacket pocket. I tried carrying a speed loader, but it was just a little too bulky to have in my pocket.

AnthonySmithXR
March 4, 2013, 07:25 AM
9mm. 10+1 in the gun iwb. 10 on my left hip in a leatherman holster (the leatherman's in my pocket). It's not about fear of needing more rounds (but that is a possibility) but about being able to quickly deal with feed issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildehond
March 4, 2013, 07:55 AM
Yes 1 spare mag.

scaatylobo
March 4, 2013, 07:00 PM
Had to go to Buffalo hospital [ ECMC ] for tests.

Knew that I would have to take off my shirt,so had a Ruger LCP in the front pocket [ pocket holster ] and a spare mag on other side hidden pocket.

In the vehicle,and carried to and from was the XDs and a spare 7 round mag.

Also a 6" bladed C/S voyager in rear pocket [ that stayed on me with LCP ].

That is traveling about as light as I will on a sunny day in a city.

Then went to Buffalo Gun Ctr and saw NOTHING left in one of THE biggest gun stores within 100 miles.

cja245
March 4, 2013, 07:49 PM
I carry a spare 10 round mag for my SR9c. That gives me 21. I think that's plenty.

asia331
March 5, 2013, 12:00 AM
Absolutely; 7 round magazine on the offside hip.

Tomcat47
March 5, 2013, 12:11 AM
Yes.... XDs .45 with one extra 5 round. Gives me 11 rounds total. :D

Just bought a leather double mag paddle and ordered 2 of the new 7 round and 1 more 5 round magazines.

I will prob keep (2) 5 round in leather double mag paddle and use 7 round for range time.

usp9
March 5, 2013, 04:25 AM

No.

If so, how many?

N/A

6+1 or 10+1 in a Seecamp or HK. I'd just carry the Seecamp instead of a extra mag for the HK if I thought I had a need.

Dnaltrop
March 5, 2013, 01:24 PM
I carry spare mags for the M&P and the 1911.

I carry speedloaders with 6 shots for the Schofield ( if i need them, not worried about hammer-down on an empty chamber.

My typical EDC Blackhawk, 12 rounds in loops riding the opposite side of the shoulder rig.

Yes, the Blackhawk's reload is so slow that If I need them, I'm screwed, but as I've been trying to be a good Ambassador in crazy 'ol Portland, with the revolver, dress stag grips, and the shiny Silvertip rounds, It helps evoke images like the "Lone Ranger" rather than feeding into the "scary black gun" stereotype.

Of course, more often than not, i'm still carrying the M&P as my BUG with the Blackhawk, so at that point my REAL spare magazine is the New York reload.

Trisha
March 5, 2013, 01:31 PM
Murphy never takes a day off. I carry two, with options and layers above that depending on the day but never do I carry a firearm without reloads.

Mr. D
March 5, 2013, 01:34 PM
When I'm carrying a revolver (which is most of the time), speed strip in my pocket. When it's the LCP, I don't carry extra. When I'm carrying the LCP, it is because I don't have a cover garment and don't want to OC. The LCP goes in my only empty pocket.

~D

armoredman
March 5, 2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, always. Typically two full size spare magazines weak side in either a Hazel Leather double mag pouch or a High Noon Double Take mag pouch. On the rare days I carry my Smith Model 10 I have either a double speed loader pouch with 12 more rounds in it, or the offside dump pouch of the shoulder rig has 6 in a speed strip.

Teachu2
March 5, 2013, 01:49 PM
Depends on attire, weapon, and situation. When I carried 1911s, I usually had 2 spare mags, and 4 when I was in uniform. As a civilian carrying Glocks, I don't usually carry more than 1 spare, and don't sweat too much if I don't have a spare. It's nearly as easy to add a G26 as a spare mag for the G30.

I always have spares in/on the vehicle.

GCBurner
March 5, 2013, 02:29 PM
Usually only one spare. I have Perace +1 floorplates for my G26. which gives 12 rounds in the gun and 11 spares. If 21 rounds of 9mm doesn't stop the problem, I hope it would at least buy time to run away.

March 5, 2013, 07:18 PM
More often than not.

My CCW is a Glock 17 loaded with 147 gr Hornady XTPs.

My spare mag is filled with Winchester NATO (Q4318) 124 gr FMJs.

Indifferent
March 5, 2013, 08:20 PM
Nope. Just the 5 round my Jframe holds.

9mmfan
March 5, 2013, 10:27 PM
Meh, I keep thinking about it, but never get around to it. Curiously, I do keep a spare mag in the nightstand, as well as a BUG. This is mainly because before I moved, I hadda hundred pounds of crap in the closet in front of the safe. Getting used to easy access, so it's changing.

JR24
March 5, 2013, 10:43 PM
I almost always carry 1. Either 13 +1, 13, or 10+1, 17 depending on what I'm carrying.

I like horizontal mag holders along the belt, and have yet to see a decent double, or I'd think about 2 spares.

GEM
March 7, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, and I have had mags fail. Thus the spare for malfunctions as compared the other good reason of needing more ammo.

.455_Hunter
March 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yes. I carry at least one reload for my CCW gun, with the extra magazine, speed loader or speed strip carried in my opposite back pocket.

Seems to me that if you actually NEED your gun, you might NEED some extra ammo too.

The only gun that I usually don't carry a reload is for my .22 LR NAA Mini Revolver. The fine motor skills required to unload/load it will be unavailable in the event of hostile action.

Lincoln4
March 7, 2013, 05:19 PM
My spare mag is the LCR in my pocket...

Darkbob
March 7, 2013, 05:37 PM
I don't think I've carried a spare mag yet. Although, rarely I'll pocket carry a bug as well as my main.

Normally 7 rounds.
Rarely, 7+6.

hariph creek
March 7, 2013, 06:23 PM
Always. Never loose, either.

A speedstrip, in a pocket pouch (strong side), for a revolver. =10rds total
(I know speed loaders are faster but, convenience and compactness wins out here.)

OR...

A single, also in pocket pouch (weak side), for my daily carry (Sig P290RS). =13rds total
When this pulls BUG duty, I don't bother.

AND/OR...

Belt mounted single for my Kimber 10mm. =17rds total

If I used double stack "FULL" capacity type guns? I don't think I'd bother with a spare, unless I was wearing a jacket?
I test my mags (and the guns that use them) to the point that, I trust them, as much as any revolver.
I know things can fail...and a meteor can land on my house.

420Stainless
March 7, 2013, 06:55 PM
No.

5+1

smalls
March 8, 2013, 03:12 AM
I test my mags (and the guns that use them) to the point that, I trust them, as much as any revolver.

Murphy's Law, my friend. If something bad can happen, it will at the least desirable time! And no matter how much testing you do, they can fail.

REAPER4206969
March 8, 2013, 04:44 AM
A 23 with two spare mags in a Rosen Deuce.

40rds. of .40

Fast Frank
March 8, 2013, 06:43 AM
I don't carry a reload because I'm worried about running out of bullets in a gunfight.

I'm not a high priority target, and there's no hit squads out after me.

If I need to defend myself, it will be because some knuckle Head, or junkie, or carjacker, or mugger decided to take a chance on me.

That's not going to be a reason to fire a half box of bullets. Just a few should be enough to make the nonsense stop.

No, I don't need to carry reloads for that.

BUT...

If I use the weapon, It's not going to be full of bullets any more. What about the rest of the day? A pistol with two rounds left in it doesn't sound like a good idea, does it?

I keep spare mags strategically located. (I carry a 1911)

There's a couple in the truck, at my job, on my dresser at home.

If I'm going to be out and exposed, or away from my truck, I have a single mag Kydex off side mag holster that works very nice, and sometimes I'll stick an extra in a back pocket.

But seriously, the pistol alone weighs three pound and extra mags get heavy quick. I don't always carry one.

At some point, it becomes stupid. I'm satisfied knowing that I can whip out a full size fighting pistol if I need to. If That's not enough things have gone seriously wrong and I'm probably not going to make it home anyway.

Invisible Swordsman
March 8, 2013, 11:27 AM
With autos I generally carry one spare mag. With my j-frames it's usually one speed strip.

tiamat
March 8, 2013, 12:25 PM
For the longest time I never used to carry a spare mag. But then I got to reading posts like these, and thinking about it more, it made sense to me that I probably should.

But for IWB, I carry one plus a flashlight. I think I am much more likely to need a flashlight than a third magazine.

This. I also find that the spare mag and flashlight help to balance out the weight too.

golden
March 8, 2013, 02:13 PM
I always carry a spare. My capacity depends on which gun I carry, but it does not matter if it is 7 or 8 or 13 or 15 rounds, I still carry a reload.

I did give up on revolvers though. I wanted more than 5 shots + a 5 shot reload.

Even if you only fire 1 shot when needed, what happens if you get a misfeed or jam. Pulling out the mag and reloading is the best way to clear it in my experience and often it is the fastest.

As for total rounds carried. I like about 15 rounds. I used to carry a 5 shot revolver and did not think that 5 + 5 was enough.

I am an average size male and don't frequent bars or other places where a fight is likely to occur. I do not expect to have a problem with just one individual, I expect at least two assailants, most likely in a street robbery.

I also don't buy the 2 rounds is the average per person in a gun fight.
I think that everything that can go wrong will be going wrong if something bad happens, otherwise I would not be in that situation.

I agree on the flashlight. It is a good idea and I have been carrying one for the last couple of years.

Just my experience,

Jim

March 8, 2013, 04:21 PM
YES!!

8+1 in a SIG P239 in an IWB CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe plus two loaded 10-rounds mags in a CrossBreed OWB mag carrier. I don't plan on going quietly!!

gunsablazin
March 8, 2013, 04:31 PM
I believe if you are going to the trouble of carrying a handgun, why would you not carry spare ammo? The only time I don't is when walking in my neighborhood, I keep a Keltec P3AT in my pocket for that, but when leaving home I always have an extra load for my primary gun. I have never fired a gun in anger, and hope I never do, but I'm not running out of ammo if I need my gun.

Mayvik
March 8, 2013, 04:38 PM
Depends on destination(s), duration, season, apparel, which gun(s), etc.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no with a NY, sometimes no with nothing.

CoRoMo
March 8, 2013, 04:41 PM
Always

bill3424
March 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
Yes, one spare mag plus the mag in the gun of course.

HighExpert
March 8, 2013, 05:03 PM
The one time I didn't carry an extra mag, I needed all seven that where in my Sig 230. Obviously, survived and prevailed but running out of ammo is not funny. Went the next day and bought a Glock 23 and have carried it with an extra mag ever since.

Rawss
March 8, 2013, 05:21 PM
I carry a Beretta Nano; 6 round mag in the gun; 8 round mag in pocket.

AFDavis11
March 8, 2013, 06:17 PM
Reloading the gun without spare mags takes forever!

riceboy72
March 8, 2013, 06:30 PM
Always have a spare on me, no matter what I'm carrying.

Double stack (usually a Glock 19)- one spare mag
Single stack (usually a Springfield Armory 1911) - two spare mags
J-frame (usually a 642) - two Speed Strips

clutch
March 8, 2013, 06:36 PM
If so, how many?

No, I carry speed strips for my 442.

5 the first time.

GeneCC
March 8, 2013, 11:20 PM
Yes. At least one speedloader or magazine. Two is one and one is none.

If I carry two handguns I will try to keep the same caliber so that the speedloader works in both revolvers. If it's a semi auto I keep the magazines strictly separated.

Why two handguns? Two is one and one is none.

GRIZ22
March 8, 2013, 11:41 PM
Always one reload for whatever I'm carrying.

wlewisiii
March 9, 2013, 11:46 PM
Yes, I have two spare magazines for my Mauser HSc. That gives me a total of 25 rounds of .32 ACP.

Bad Andy
March 10, 2013, 04:14 PM
I carry a Glock 17 or G20 if I'm in the woods, no need for extra anything.

mongo4567
March 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
I don't carry any reloads. I normally carry a Rohrbaugh R9 with 6+1. I can't imagine trying to reload with that tiny heel release under stress anyway. I do have a reload and an AK in the trunk.

Rexster
March 10, 2013, 10:26 PM
Magazines: One to three; it depends.

Revolvers: One to several Speed Strips, sometimes a speed loader or two.

Usually, away from the house, I am carrying a second handgun, which may or may not be a twin of the "primary" handgun. It is handy if one's reloading devices can be shared between two weapons.

arizona98tj
March 11, 2013, 12:37 AM
Yes, I carry a spare magazine for my pistol or a speed-strip should I happen to be carrying a revolver. The spare mag is either 6 or 10 rounds, depending on what is being carried.

FWIW, I also carry a backup gun. I do not carry spare ammo for the backup. If I get that far into a situation where I'm down to using it, something has gone terribly wrong and it is time to retreat. :o

wkuban
March 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
No.

ArchAngelCD
March 12, 2013, 12:14 AM
If so, how many?
On the rare occasions I do carry a semi-auto it's a 1911 and I do carry one spare mag. It's not so much for the additional ammo but in case I experience a failure so I have a mag available to swap out.

TAKtical
March 12, 2013, 05:48 AM
Glock 17 loaded with a 20 round mag and 2 spare 20 rounders in an IWB carrier.

royal barnes
March 12, 2013, 02:22 PM
If carrying one of my D frame Colt revolvers I carry 2 speed strips. If I'm carrying my 1911 at least one spare mag.

bikerbill
March 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
spare mag in weakside pocket ... always have a reload ...

F-111 John
March 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
I'm in the "no" column. 5 shots when carrying my J frame, and 11 when carrying my G26 (+1 pearce grip extension. I could go 11+1, but I prefer 10+1 even with the extension.)

safebustr
March 14, 2013, 12:38 AM
I'm like Rawss, Beretta Nano and a 6 or 8 round spare mag always.

Bassleg
March 14, 2013, 12:50 AM
Al ways have a spare if I am going to a big city 2,3.

tarosean
March 14, 2013, 03:57 AM
BUT...

If I use the weapon, It's not going to be full of bullets any more. What about the rest of the day? A pistol with two rounds left in it doesn't sound like a good idea, does it?

More than likely, if used in a SD situation your not going to be walking away with your pistol at all. Regardless of how much ammo is left or in the vehicle.

tarosean
March 14, 2013, 04:22 AM
I always find these threads interesting... Posters range from 5rds to 60... Thats quite a spread.

420Stainless
March 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
People have to carry what they have to carry. I feel good not carrying around a bunch of hardware while others feel good knowing that they're prepared for almost any possible situation. As far as I'm concerned all are right in their decision.

Spindrift
March 17, 2013, 03:30 PM
My daily carry gun most often is my Kimber 1911 in a Galco King Tuk, and I absolutely never carry fewer than two spare mags. Sometimes I even add in my LCP and a spare for it to my kit depending on what part of the Godforsaken city I find myself required to visit.
As so many have pointed out in the past, I agree that a pistol is only a tool to help you fight your way back to your rifle. I try to make sure that I have the best chance I can do do just that if need be.
Spindrift

YANKEE2500
March 17, 2013, 11:34 PM
No I never carry a spare mag.

blaisenguns
March 17, 2013, 11:48 PM
I rarely carry spare magazines, but often carry two or more guns.

LaVere
March 18, 2013, 11:26 AM
Yes one extra magazins for all my guns.

mcdonl
March 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
Nope. Just a revolver. But, I play the odds. I live in rural Maine and when I am at most risk is in the backwoods and I am rarely without a rifle in the deep woods.

And when in Portland I take my chances with my 6 rounds.

ldlfh7
March 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
My 9mm holds 17. No need to carry extras. If I need more than that I think I will try to run away.

chrisheile
March 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
compact mag with Pierce grip extension (filed down quite a bit) in the XD and the extended mag in the pocket

ChCx2744
March 18, 2013, 11:45 PM
I always carry at least one extra mag.

accrhodes
April 2, 2013, 04:01 PM
No.

I have a 10+1 capacity and my wife has a 7+1.

If we cant hit our target with 19 rounds, we have no business shooting.

wyohome
April 2, 2013, 05:55 PM
Just the 5 in my revolver.
Much better chance of a rattlesnake than anything.

USAF_Vet
April 2, 2013, 06:57 PM
It's not always just about hitting your target, but actually stopping the threat if you do have to shoot. You also can't rely on there being only one target, either. Scavenger animals tend to travel in packs, regardless of how many legs they walk upon. 19 rounds is probably more than enough to stop one individual, but increase it to half a dozen and I wouldn't be so confident.

My wife shoots, but does not carry. As such, we really don't train together for hostile shooter situations. I can only rely on someone else to watch my back (and in turn watch theirs) if we train together. Do you and your wife train together?

Not trying to pick on you specifically, just pointing out one of the reasons I carry a spare magazine, and when finances allow, will carry a back up.

RCL
April 2, 2013, 09:26 PM
When carrying my Remington 1911 I have at least one spare mag, sometimes 2.
When carrying my .44 Special snub (5 shot) a speadloader and/or 1 or 2 speed strips.

JurisCani
April 2, 2013, 09:47 PM
LC9 =7+1 with one spare.

JVaughn
April 2, 2013, 09:51 PM
1911 holds 7+1, carry one extra with 7 more. Sometimes I go with Glock 17 instead, makes it 15+1 and 15 more. Always 1 spare mag either way. BUG is an LCP, no spare for it.

shinyroks
April 2, 2013, 09:56 PM
Carry a spare mag, more for malfunctions than for more bullets. When i carry a revolver, speed strips are nice. much more space-conservative.

cwbys4evr
April 2, 2013, 09:59 PM
I carry a 40 with a 15 round mag of hand loaded HP's so not usually. Sometimes though if I'm going to a crowded space. Never know when someone with a scary black rifle is going to show up

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

smalls
April 3, 2013, 01:17 AM
I'm not telling anyone what to do, and I've already voiced why I carry a spare. But it's so easy to just throw it in your hip, or in your pocket. It's small, so concealing isn't a problem. You carry a gun for insurance. This is just extra insurance. It's like the difference of $5 between regular insurance or full coverage on your car. Of course you'd spend a measly $5 for full coverage.

That's the way I see it, anyway. I did get lazy about it for a while until I thought about that.

mdauben
April 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
For me:

Semiauto - one spare mag.
Revolver - two speed loaders or two speed strips.

Guy de Loimbard
April 3, 2013, 01:13 PM
Usually I carry a CZ-82. On the opposite side I normally carry two spare mags, this helps balance the weight out.

There may be 12 rounds per mag but there is only one spring in each. When it decides to take a crap it would be a good idea to have another spring handy, and on the whole it is easy to swap out a mag than a spring.

theblaze
April 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
Single Glock 31 mag in a snap-on Alessi leather mag pouch.

PRM
April 4, 2013, 04:03 PM
Nope... just a pocket full of extra cartridges. Mags don't fit my revolver:)

Geo47
April 4, 2013, 07:54 PM
15 plus 1 in the gun, 17 in the spare mag, plus 5 in the spare GUN.

jimmyraythomason
April 4, 2013, 08:45 PM
I have 5 mags for my EDC,a Browning BDM in 9mm. I only carry the one that's in the gun. It is a 15 rounder.

pharmer
April 5, 2013, 06:15 PM
Nope. If I can't "resolve" whatever I've stepped in with the first 12 rds in my 6906, I'm probably dead. Joe

CookeMonster
April 7, 2013, 05:21 PM
6+1 .45 @ 4:00 and 2 10 round mags in front left pocket more as ballast weight than anything. For practical use, I'd be fine with one spare but like to help balance the weight around the waist.

mrtwister_jbo
April 7, 2013, 08:03 PM
most of the times am only carrying 6 in my colt agent.but some times i carry my taurus 99 with 2 17rnds mags ;)
twister

kp
April 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
9mm Shield + one additional 8 rd mag or a 5 shot j frame with 2 speed strips.

regards

Roadking Rider
April 11, 2013, 06:00 AM
Locally I only CC with the mag that's in the gun. 6+1 If I go into questionable areas, I either carry an extra mag or a different gun with a larger round capacity. If I can dress around the larger pistol at the time that's what I'll do.

gk2410
April 11, 2013, 07:32 PM
Just whatever the load of the firearm is that I'm carrying.

I'm retired LE and have carried for over 40 years, and most of that was during a time I HAD to respond to a situation if it presented itself.

I'm always curious where some of you live that you feel the need to carry almost a whole box of ammunition. I'm not knocking it - just curious. I've been involved in several shootings and they were always over in a few rounds. Of course that was before the advent of zombies... :uhoh:

Seriously though - the threat potential should dictate the need for additional reloads or a backup. If you think you need it, go with it. Maybe I've just been lucky, but my awareness and ability to handle situations has enabled me to get through life with very few mishaps. I'm comfortable with just a 5-shot J-frame and a head on my shoulders.

Rail Driver
April 11, 2013, 07:43 PM
It's old, so bear with me... it's been beaten into the ground, but forgive me...

A reload is like a gun or a parachute or body armor - if you need it and don't have it, you'll probably never need it (or anything else) ever again.

smalls
April 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
I'm always curious where some of you live that you feel the need to carry almost a whole box of ammunition. I'm not knocking it - just curious. I've been involved in several shootings and they were always over in a few rounds. Of course that was before the advent of zombies...

Read what I posted in this thread. It's not necessarily for the extra ammo, but rather to fix a malfunction.

On the other hand, if I have to shoot someone, there's a good chance I'm going to fire most (if not all) the rounds in my gun. I'd rather not wait around (mostly) unarmed for police to arrive.

huskybiker
April 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
It depends on where I'm going. Lately at work, I've been going with just a Taurus 85 & 1 speed loader. Anywhere else, M&P9C + 1) 12 rd mag on the belt and 1) 17 rd in the truck.

Josh45
April 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
Glock 29 ATM, 10 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber.
Im comfy with that. I have a 15 round mag that I carry sometimes. Need to get a pouch for it. Seriously uncomfortable when just lugging it around and kinda silly that way as well.

I prefer to carry back up mags because you just never know...

Chevelle SS
April 12, 2013, 08:24 PM
2 8 rounders

B O
April 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
S&W M&P 45 acp full size with 1 spare 10 rounder.

BLB68
April 13, 2013, 10:56 AM
Usually carry 8+1 in gun (Shield) and the 7 round as a spare. Sometimes the other way around, depending on how I'm dressed.

I don't carry the spare all the time (though I should) due to not having a belt. That's because I'm recovering from some surgeries. When I'm in big boy pants again, I'll carry at least the one spare all the time. I'll eventually hunt down a second 8 round to use as a spare.

lpsharp88
April 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
G26 at around 8:30 (I'm a lefty), one spare at about 4:00. More worried about a mag malfunction than needing 10 extra rounds

Macchina
April 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
What is with everyone being so worried about a "magazine malfunction"? With quality mags (as all carry mags should be), have you ever had a "magazine malfunction" in a way that just slapping in a new one would fix it? Guns do jam, but how often have you had a magazine just stop feeding rounds? Are you worried about broken followers, broken springs, what?

A handgun has MANY moving parts and you don't carry any extra extractors or firing pins...

wxl
April 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
No, 7+1 in my pocket carry. Spare mags in all of my pickups and garage.

Backpacker33
April 13, 2013, 03:50 PM
From long experience I usually carry two guns. For autos I'll have a spare mag of standard capacity. For revolvers I carry a speed strip. Since the availability of 7-round revolvers, I'll often carry one of those as a primary, though speed strips haven't caught up, yet. As backup I carry a S&W J-frame. I have limited faith in sub-caliber rounds, and my ability to use those tiny guns.
Years ago my employer had an excellent training officer. I have large hands and can grip almost any handgun well with ease. He put together a stage where I managed to eject a full magazine. While he kept yelling "BANG BANG BANG" at me, I got the spare mag and reloaded. For me, that emphasized the efficacy of the "New York Reload."

montanaoffroader
April 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
I generally carry an extra mag or a revolver reload (strip or speed loader) when I carry. I just figure better safe than sorry.

I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

So far haven't needed it. With any luck, I never will.

Cryogaijin
April 14, 2013, 07:16 AM
What is with everyone being so worried about a "magazine malfunction"? With quality mags (as all carry mags should be), have you ever had a "magazine malfunction" in a way that just slapping in a new one would fix it? Guns do jam, but how often have you had a magazine just stop feeding rounds? Are you worried about broken followers, broken springs, what? Yes, yes I have. The malfunction was on the magazines binding up at 60 below. Keeping a spare mag inside a warm pocket fixes the problem. Then again, so does putting the bound up magazine inside one's parka.

Ron7624
April 14, 2013, 07:43 AM
I carry 2 spare mags in my car. One is in a leather pocket holster that I pocket when going anyplace public like a mall or convenience store, and its a high cap mag (7 rounds)
I front pocked carry a P238 condition 1, giving me 7 rounds initially.
But no, I don't always carry a spare mag.

bigfatdave
April 14, 2013, 08:17 AM
Keeping a spare mag inside a warm pocket fixes the problem. Then again, so does putting the bound up magazine inside one's parka.

Then again, so does IWB carry in the first place
(I carry spare mags, but my boomstick generally doesn't see arctic conditions in my pants)
((and I managed to work the phrase "in my pants" into the dialog))

Kynative
April 14, 2013, 08:58 AM
Carrying a spare mags because your primary may malfunction is a ridiculous state of mind to me. Carrying a spare because the zombies may get you is on a more rational plane of thinking. A malfunction of any kind under any condition isn't allowed in my selection of a defensive pistol. My 2 cents.

smalls
April 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
Sure wish I could tell my stuff not to break, and it'd listen to me!

Could've saved thousands on car repairs! All I had to do was tell it not to break!

mcdonl
April 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
Sure wish I could tell my stuff not to break, and it'd listen to me!

Could've saved thousands on car repairs! All I had to do was tell it not to break!

That's why I carry a revolver. 6 rounds if .38 suit me just fine.

Charles S
April 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
Carrying a spare mags because your primary may malfunction is a ridiculous state of mind to me. Carrying a spare because the zombies may get you is on a more rational plane of thinking. A malfunction of any kind underkk any condition isn't allowed in my selection of a defensive pistol.

I know I personally never accept any malfunctions of any kind from anything mechanical. I would never own anything that is less than 100% reliable in in situation, in any grip, under any circumstances... oh wait... that seems unrealistic.

I know I never choose to be in a circumstance where my personal security is at risk....

My house will never catch on fire.....

I will never personally own a car that will have a flat....

I will never ever have a heart attack....

Great logic!

Kynative
April 14, 2013, 06:15 PM
I have never had my house catch on fire, never had a flat, never had a heart attack. Never carry anything that ever malfunctions.

Deltaboy
April 14, 2013, 06:25 PM
I carry one reload.

EddieG54
April 14, 2013, 07:17 PM
I carry a spare mag for my LCP. Doesn't take up much room and weight is not an issue.

nathan
April 14, 2013, 09:05 PM
Yes i do all the time. 8 rd mag of 9mm makarov in the Makarov pistol plus an extra mag loaded in the pocket. Light as a feather anywhere i go.

Shamus MacD
April 14, 2013, 09:43 PM
I carry a springfield mirco compact 6+1 so i usually carry at least one mag in my left pocket. they're flat enough not to print and light enough for me not to care about the extra weight.

AnthonySmithXR
December 18, 2013, 07:55 AM
I have never had my house catch on fire, never had a flat, never had a heart attack. Never carry anything that ever malfunctions.

Until it does. Never say never. That's the nature of malfunctions.

HexHead
December 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
Not on any kind of regular basis.

Trunk Monkey
December 18, 2013, 09:54 AM
Two complete reloads was standard equipment for most police officers before any of us here were born. If I was asked in court why I carry spare ammunition, my answer would probably be the same as my answer for why I load with hollow point ammunition:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."

This question gets asked a lot, I asked when I was new to carrying a handgun I read the above on the Smith and Wesson Forum http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php by Massad Ayoob and I can’t say it any better. Handguns are machines, machines malfunction the most common malfunctions in handguns arise from faulty magazines I carry a spare or two.

Hometeached1
December 18, 2013, 10:54 AM
I carry two spare 13rd magazines for my Glock 30 in a double mag pouch by Bladetech. If I carry my Glock 19 I'll have two 17rd mags for it.

Bluelight
December 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
Always 1 spare with 12 rounds.

460Kodiak
December 19, 2013, 01:53 AM
Nope

Armedleprechaun
December 19, 2013, 03:09 AM
Yes, 15+1 in my Glock 19C and a 15 round backup magazine. As a rule of thumb, I always carry one backup magazine.

evan price
December 19, 2013, 07:19 AM
YES!

More likely to have a magazine malfunction. A spare mag is the solution.

8+1 in the gun, plus a spare mag of 8 rounds.

jrdolall
December 19, 2013, 07:37 AM
In my truck but not on my person. I generally pocket carry a small 380 or possibly a 9mm. I have a cell phone in the other pocket and a wallet in my back pocket so my keys usually go in my other back pocket. I guess I could keep the spare mag in my back pocket but just never do.

Dogguy
December 19, 2013, 09:15 AM
I carry spare ammo. If I'm carrying a revolver, I carry one or two reloads in Speed Strips. If I'm carrying an auto, I carry one or two extra magazines.

loose noose
December 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
This time of the year when it's cold, yes all ways, when it's hotter than blazes no, as there is only so much you can carry in cargo shorts, and be incognito. Not only that I am inclined to carry a American Derringer using .38 spl in Hornady Critical Defense loads in those cargo shorts.

rim
December 19, 2013, 12:22 PM
Yes always..home carry I might not but off property yes

Haywood
December 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
I carry extra ammo for my main carry gun. I carry a back up gun. I carry extra ammo for my back up gun.

km101
December 19, 2013, 10:23 PM
No I carry a back up gun.

C0untZer0
December 19, 2013, 10:31 PM
I don't technically carry, I "transport", but when I am transporting my R9 I have 2 magazines.

marv
December 20, 2013, 12:32 AM
Yes. M642 in RH pocket and loaded speedloader and nitrotabs in LH pocket.

Stevie-Ray
December 21, 2013, 10:55 PM
No. Carry BUG instead.

TestPilot
December 22, 2013, 12:12 PM
Two extra magazines most of the time.

kvtcomdo
December 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
If high capacity handgun; one extra.

If my trusty 1911: two(2) eight rounders.

Ringer
December 22, 2013, 03:42 PM
If auto loader then 1 regardless of capacity. If revolver then 2 because my carrier holds to loaded moon clips.

marcclarke
December 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
At least one.

tacxted
December 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
i carry a glock26 with a 10 rounder in it. i have a 17 rounder as the spare.

mgkdrgn
December 24, 2013, 04:23 PM

And despite that I'll bet you have fire insurance, a spare tire, and health insurance.

And -all- mechanical devices malfunction, eventually, it's their nature.

Guns&Religion
December 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
I usually carry a 5 shot 38 with 2 speed loaders. Other times I carry an 11 shot M&P40c, with a full size spare mag 15 rds.

I wear a fanny pack, with a zipper pocket for my reloads.

1911junkee
December 24, 2013, 04:33 PM
Always, one for my EDC and one for my BUG.

guyfromohio
December 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
I don't have any criticism for those that do, but I don't think I would carry if I thought that I had to pack my pockets with spares. Personally, I don't see a shoot-out in a realistic self-defense scenario. Call me "naive" if you will.

tomrkba
December 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
One can tell who has trained and who has not from their responses.

AnthonySmithXR
December 26, 2013, 09:19 AM
You've got to know that varying an extra mag isn't simply about ammo supply. It's the quickest fix to nearly any malfunction.

Trunk Monkey
December 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
Little known fact from the New Life Church shooting.

Not that they tried to hide it but it never was really discussed. Jeanne Assam was carrying a Berretta M9 (or whatever they call the civilian version) with a 10 round magazine and she emptied the magazine and still didnít stop the guy. He killed himself. The fact that he killed himself is known but the fact that she was out of ammunition wasnít.

If that's not a good enough reason to carry a spare I don't know what is

chieftain
December 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Whether someone else carry's an extra or backup magazine or not is their business. I only can tell you why I do. Each of us must rely on our experience, particularly combat experience, training, weapon selection/limitations, personal abilities & infirmaries, environment, law and PROBABILITIES not possibilities.

We each have our own "STEW" as I like to call it. We make it and we must eat/live with it, or not.

I apply my own extensive combat experience, 60 years of shooting experience, 56 years of competition & large/small game hunting, 48 years of my training, 43 years of instructing experience both rifle/carbine & handguns. Add to that that I have always been a shooting/gun enthusiast, I have my own way of doing things.

I have always carried at least one reload for any weapon I carried, rifle/carbine or handgun. Although I carried a 1911 in the Marine Corps and most of my two 13 month tours in Vietnam (3rdMARDIV).

Most of my life out of the Corps I carried a revolver with, wait for it, one reload 6 rounds. When I was transitioning to bottom feeders, in the late 80's early 90's, I continue to carry one reload, whether the weapon was a SIG 220/8' 226/15 228/13 225/8, 1911/7' Glock 17 etc..... Today I most often CCW/EDC A Walther PPQ classic/m1, in a Milt Sparks VM II, with one additional magazine in the Bill Wilson mag/flashlight carrier on my belt. I have one for my 1911,s too.

In my world STUFF still happens, but for my situations I feel that carrying an extra magazine AND light, is what I like for me. No doubt your choices are what are best for you for your reasons. Smarter guys than me do it differently.

Good luck, and may you never have to learn if your way really does work for you.

Fred

armsmaster270
December 27, 2013, 05:00 AM
1-3 10 round 357Sigs depending on where I am going or doing.

chupacabrah
December 27, 2013, 09:10 AM
I usually carry a Glock 19 (15+1 rds) with no reload, unless I'm going into some more hostile type area. Sometimes I'll throw a spare mag in the glovebox or something.

Sometimes I'll carry an SP101 with a speedloader. (5 + 5)

kmbrman
December 27, 2013, 12:22 PM
I usually carry my Glock 23. with the standard mag. If I'm carrying my 1911, I carry an extra 8 round mag. with my 7 round.

decoy562
December 27, 2013, 12:33 PM
I don't but probably should.

RVN11B
December 27, 2013, 01:08 PM
Yes I do carry and I carry a derivative of the 1911. I also carry two extra magazines.

ATI Fatboy, .45ACP, 12 round magazines.

Oh yeah I do wear suspenders! :neener:

Mr. T
December 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
Springfield XD .45 ACP and two 14 round mags.

SC Shooter
December 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
No. If what I have is not enough, I'll probably be dead

TAKtical
December 29, 2013, 03:30 AM
I carry a glock 17 with 2 spare 20rnd mags in an IWB carrier

Tomac
December 29, 2013, 06:17 AM
I always carry at least one 15rd reload for my SIG SP2022, two when carrying in a shoulder holster.
Tomac

guyfromohio
December 29, 2013, 08:19 AM
I wonder what percentage of respondents truly do as they say..... I'm jogging this morning with a J-Franme in a belly band. Who is carrying reloads in that scenario? Watching the kids play soccer in 90 degree heat in August. Slip the 642 in the IWB. Reloads?

GEM
December 29, 2013, 12:26 PM
The average is ...

Well, the average age is about 35 years old. Thus, do you expect to die when you cross that exact threshold. Do most die on the day after than birthday?

Folks who say - the average, realistic, etc. - take a stat course.

Charles S
January 1, 2014, 04:26 PM
I wonder what percentage of respondents truly do as they say..... I'm jogging this morning with a J-Franme in a belly band. Who is carrying reloads in that scenario? Watching the kids play soccer in 90 degree heat in August. Slip the 642 in the IWB. Reloads?

Wow, I cannot imagine running in a belly band... What brand do you use? I carry a 22 mag in that scenario with no reloads. I love carrying a revolver and generally only care a speed strip with the revolver. It is small, flat, light... and probably not necessary.

My training makes me carry a reload with an auto simply because... as had been said numerous times.. the easiest solution to a jam with an auto is a new mag.

wproct
January 1, 2014, 09:47 PM
Smith & Wesson model 60. 5 rounds, no spares.

yamahawarrior89
January 1, 2014, 10:01 PM
I always carry at least 1 extra mag. If I am carrying a 1911 then it is 2 extra mags. The only time that I don't carry a spare mag is when I am jogging with a Taurus PT111 in a belly band which is 12+1 9mm.

Teachu2
January 2, 2014, 01:01 AM
I always carry at least 1 extra mag. If I am carrying a 1911 then it is 2 extra mags. The only time that I don't carry a spare mag is when I am jogging with a Taurus PT111 in a belly band which is 12+1 9mm.

Precisely why I don't jog...:evil:

TRX
January 2, 2014, 06:35 PM
I normally carry a small revolver in a shoulder holster. I don't carry any extra ammo for it. I have a .45, and the rigging for that holster is made differently and the harness shifts to the gun side as I move about; I'm thinking of adding a double magazine carrier to the offside to balance the weight a bit. I don't need the ammunition other than for the weight.

My primary purpose for carrying is to assert my civil rights, not for self-defense, so comfort is more important to me than accessibility and firepower.

Teachu2
January 3, 2014, 12:25 AM
My primary purpose for carrying is to assert my civil rights, not for self-defense, so comfort is more important to me than accessibility and firepower.

Then why not carry a .22 or.25?

TRX
January 3, 2014, 02:21 PM
I have a .380 and a .38 that carry fine; it's only the holster for the .45 that has problems.

jimsouth
January 4, 2014, 10:01 AM
Shoulder holster - Firestar .45 ( horizontal ). Two extra mags on right side. I believe the pouches will hold the 6 - 7 ( maybe even 8 round mags ). I have a 10 round extended mag, but it looks weird hanging out of such a small .45. Anything larger than the Firestar .45, I would go with a vertical holster.

BlindJustice
January 4, 2014, 03:43 PM
1911 .45 ACP
Carry rig is a Milt Sparks #Axiom
& I have an MS IWB single mag carrier
& also have a MS OWB dual mag carrier which
can be worn small of the back.

R-

Gun Master
January 4, 2014, 07:49 PM
Usually carry S&W Airweight Bodyguard(in right pants pocket) with spare speedloader (5 rds.) in left pocket. Sometimes Kel-Tec P-32 with 10 rd. mag (same pocket). In near future, CZ-82 in shoulder rig and 12 rds. mag under other arm (right).

StrutStopper
January 4, 2014, 09:38 PM
Right or wrong, I never carry a spare. 7+1 in the LC9. 14+1 in the CZ I'll be carrying soon. Hopefully I'll never need to use them, and if I do, if 8 or 15 rounds won't stop the threat I'll be toast. I can't carry at work, can't have rounds or weapons in the truck either (subject to random search) so there's a good chunk of time where I have nothing. After all, what could possibly happen? Oh yeah, Aaron Alexis worked at my building just before he started working at the Navy yard. Company policy hasn't changed any though.

Mike Kerr
January 4, 2014, 09:43 PM
Primary carry is 7+1 - Sometimes a spare magazine.
Secondary carry is 7+1- nearly always carry a spare magazine.

:):)

qwert65
January 4, 2014, 09:49 PM
I almost never carry a spare mag(except with a shoulder holster for balance)/ I do carry a BUG frequently as I feel it's just as easy to pull another gun then it is to reload(and covers for a malfunction NOT mag related)

Mastodon
January 4, 2014, 10:15 PM
14+1 no extra mag carried concealed.

carbuncle
January 4, 2014, 10:45 PM
Almost always, one spare mag unless I'm in the woods (then two). 98% of the time I carry a spare mag, knife and light. On occasion I will walk the dog without a spare mag, but I tend to feel naked without one.

9mmforMe
January 5, 2014, 08:00 AM
16+1, no spare most of the time. Still need to get permit here in Indy, had one in VA before the move. Will be carrying S&W SD9VE.

rhinoh
January 5, 2014, 09:41 AM
I always carry a spare. Currently I'm carrying a .45 XDs with the 5 round in the gun and the 7 round extended mag in my left front pocket as the spare. I did slip the grip extension sleeve off to rid bulk. Only time I'd use the extended mag would be in a real serious pinch and the grip sleeve wouldn't matter...

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carriers, do you carry spare magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!