Problem with the search function

PDA

2@low8
March 3, 2013, 01:48 PM
I had been lurking on this site for quite a while before I signed on. During that time I once read a thread (In General Gun Discussions, I believe) about members who were amateur (ham) radio operators.

Because of my recent interest in ham radio I wanted to look up that thread. I tried amateur, amateur radio, ham and ham radio in the search function and the results were staggering in number. This approach netted any thread with any general reference, I.e., ham = ham sandwich, etc.

I spent well over an hour trying to locate the one I wanted without success.
Is there any way of getting more specific results?

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with the search function" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
March 3, 2013, 01:55 PM
I think you'll have better luck with a Google search instead of using the native search engine.

I used the following search params with Google and immediately got several good hits:

site:thehighroad.org "amateur radio"

2@low8
March 3, 2013, 02:25 PM
Bingo! This thread even showed up because of our references to amateur radio.

Thanks!.....Frankie

blarby
March 3, 2013, 04:21 PM
I do find it mildly ironic that most of us have a disdain for all things google, but the default response to our "broken" search engine is to go to google.

Only seconded by those searching for casting data go to "that other site"

Using the advance search functions, I was able to find the exact thread the OP was looking for,,,, what exactly is supposedly wrong with our search ?

Searching " radio HAM " in all of the open forums brought up the hammers on THR thread as the #7 thread returned.....

I think we might need a sticky on how to use search in vbulletin, I've never had any problems using it....

Mal H
March 3, 2013, 04:42 PM
"I've never had any problems using it...."
Then you haven't been around long enough. :)

Admittedly, it has gotten much better recently, but it still doesn't allow for complex searches as well as Google does. I wouldn't consider the search in question as a very complex search, but Google does a better job of searching within a single post as opposed to yielding results that may have one keyword in one post and the other keyword in another post.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem with the search function" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!