Illinois Assault Weapons Ban Proposed - NO GRANDFATHERING

PDA

Trent
March 5, 2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=85&GA=98&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=1156&GAID=12&LegID=&SpecSess=&Session=

Amendments filed and passed rules committee include provisions for no-grandfathering banning of "assault weapons" and "accessories", both of which would be punishable as a Class 1 or Class 2 felony (15 and 7 years sentencing, respectively).

Residents would have 300 days to comply (selling / surrendering all contraband) or become felons.

(Amendments 2-7 are relevant)

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois Assault Weapons Ban Proposed - NO GRANDFATHERING" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
March 5, 2013, 12:36 PM
I guess the 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments to the US Constitution just don't apply in Illinois.

Phatty
March 5, 2013, 12:45 PM
I read proposed Amendment 7 as providing for the grandfathering of assault weapons and attachments. But, it looks like there is no grandfathering of large capacity magazines.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 12:51 PM
IF it passes with the rest. The way they are submitting these bills, 2,3,4,5, and 6 could pass, 7 fails, and we have an AWB without grandfathering.

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 01:10 PM
Called my reps, again. I call about every other day. Send about 2 or 3 e-mails a day, do snail mail once a week. I need a secretary.

AlbertH
March 5, 2013, 01:18 PM
discharged by a single function of the firing device, if you pull the trigger once and 8 or more rounds fire then that is a single function of the firing device and your illegal. if you pull the trigger once and only one round comes out that is also a single functon and thus allows semi-auto weapons

Maybe I am blind but I have read it four times and cant find where it bans large magazines.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 01:21 PM
AlbertH;
Amendment 5

(b) It is unlawful for any person within this State to
5 knowingly deliver, sell, receive, transfer, purchase, or
6 possess or cause to be delivered, sold, received, transferred,
7 or purchased a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

SilentStalker
March 5, 2013, 01:28 PM
That's messed up. I do not see how they can circumvent the Constitution on this. I mean if they want to usurp it then they need to do it correctly and go through the process to amend it. I always thought that federal law trumped state law anyways. If I were in IL, then I would keep mine and take this all the way to the USSC.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 01:28 PM
House is streaming live here at 720p:

http://new.livestream.com/blueroomstream/events/1920118?origin=Event%20Broadcast&mixpanel_id=13770bd015f130-008714995aec0cc-52464b14-1fa400-13770bd0160283&acc_id=3114510&medium=email

240p video and audio only available here:

http://www.ilga.gov/house/audvid.asp#

Trent
March 5, 2013, 01:29 PM
If I were in IL, then I would keep mine and take this all the way to the USSC.

Easy to say on the internet. Much harder to do sitting in prison waiting years for appeals while your wife and children starve from no income.

ThorinNNY
March 5, 2013, 02:16 PM
Somehow I doubt that law, if passed, would make the people who live in Chicago any safer.
Don`t let them do that to you!
Irate denizen of New York Statistan!

Phatty
March 5, 2013, 02:32 PM
Somehow I doubt that law, if passed, would make the people who live in Chicago any safer.
Don`t let them do that to you!
Irate denizen of New York Statistan!
Chicago already has its own assault weapons ban. They're just trying to screw over the rest of us now.

ThorinNNY
March 5, 2013, 02:49 PM
Quote: Chicago already has its own assault weapon ban.
Theyr`e just trying to screw the rest of us!

Yup, That "assault weapon" ban `s really made the streets of Chicago at least as safe as they were during the Prohibition Era with it`s outstanding citizens like Al Capone, Jake Guzik, Frank Nitti, the Purple Gang and all the rest of "da Good Fellas!" :neener:
Naw, dose guys would never stoop to using violence because it`s bad for business!An besides Big Al ran 'da best zoop kichin in Chick -ahhgo" :barf:

Bubbles
March 5, 2013, 03:02 PM
Easy to say on the internet. Much harder to do sitting in prison waiting years for appeals while your wife and children starve from no income.
No need to go to prison, ship it to me for gunsmithing during the legal challenge. That way you still own it, you just don't posess it in IL.

Also, that "wives and children starving from no income" line was pretty sexist - some of us wimmins make good money.

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 03:07 PM
You are my gunsmith from now on!!!

Trent
March 5, 2013, 03:24 PM
Also, that "wives and children starving from no income" line was pretty sexist - some of us wimmins make good money.

Wasn't trying to be sexist. My wife doesn't work; and we have 5 children to feed. If my income was cut off, they'd have pretty hard times ahead of them.

dmckean44
March 5, 2013, 03:54 PM
Are they really banning an semi auto with a handguard?

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:02 PM
dmckean - yes.

Pretty much EVERY semi-auto rifle will be banned by this.

berettaprofessor
March 5, 2013, 04:03 PM
Amazing....Illinoians will be the front lines if this one passes.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
This goes further than New York because there's no "10 round" or "7 round" limit.. it just flat out bans the weapons and (after 300 days) you're a felon-in-possession.

EDIT: They're debating Amendment 2 right now, if that passes, even 10-22's will be illegal.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.ilga.gov/house/audvid.asp#

Listen live

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:10 PM
Amendment 2 passed.

Sigh.

Amendment 3 up.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:11 PM
Amendment 3 passed

Amendment 4 up.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:13 PM
Amendment 4 up (pistols)

This will ban all semi-auto pistols capable of holding more than 10 rounds (she's specifically talking about Glocks now)

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:15 PM
Amendment 4 (semi auto handguns)

Passes 52-15

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:16 PM
Amendment 5 ....

passes 57-11

TenDriver
March 5, 2013, 04:17 PM
I had to turn it off. Too much ignorance to listen to.

dreamer56
March 5, 2013, 04:17 PM
Seriously? also wonder why I have not received NRA and ISRA alerts in my email for this stuff today? Anyone get those....

I will fire off another round of emails and call, again, and again etc.... if you live in Illinois get involved.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:18 PM
Amendment 6 (all firearms must be stored unloaded and locked, or in a safe)

being debated

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:23 PM
Recap Amendments 1-5 passed (overwhelmingly)

Reboletti is laying the smackdown on their methods of introducing laws.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:27 PM
Amendment 6 passed

Amendment 7 up (grandfathering)

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:29 PM
FIrst 6 passed.

7th amendment WAS WITHDRAWN.

The first six passed WITHOUT a grandfathering provision.

This is nasty.

Onmilo
March 5, 2013, 04:32 PM
No, this is absolute bull****

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:36 PM
So, thread title stands. Unfortunately we now have a live assault weapons ban bill in the Illinois general assembly that:

1. Bans ALL semiautomatic rifles.
2. Bans ALL semiautomatic pistols that can accept a detachable magazine and weigh over 50 ounces.
3. Bans Most Semiautomatic shotguns.
4. Bans ALL high capacity feeding devices (holds more than 10 rounds)
5. ALL weapons must be stored unloaded at home, with a gun lock, or in a safe.

And there is NO grandfathering on ANY of it.

Wow.

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 04:37 PM
Maybe I am wrong, hope I'm not, but I think 7 being withdrawn was the stake in the heart for this one. It is just too crazy to make it through. I'm not getting lazy about contacting my reps or getting over confident. I have been watching Colorado and New York, but this is just my $.02

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:38 PM
No, this is Chicago politics.

Waive the carrot around at the end "but you'll be FINE when we get to amendment 7, go ahead and vote on this stuff, you'll be FINE"

Then get to the end "oh, nevermind. We were just kidding."

wriggly
March 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
I hate to say it, because folks like Trent have fought the fight so long and hard, but the reality is this state is unsalvageable. I worked for the state of Illinois in varying capacities since I was 18 years old. I am 61 now. I left Chicago in the late 70's because the odor was so foul and unbearable, and I made a living and fit into the system where I live all these years, and just want to live in peace and be left alone.

I am waiting on the closing of my late fathers trust in the coming year, and I am giving up, and moving my wife and I to Wyoming. We will make our last stand there. If the insanity continues and follows us there, then I pray I will be allowed to die standing.

All those unable to abandon the sinking ship known as Illinois, I will pray for you, and your families. :(

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 04:42 PM
Trent, so it is over?? We are screwed, this will become law?

dmckean44
March 5, 2013, 04:42 PM
Well there goes my plan to abandon California and move back to Illinois.

dmckean44
March 5, 2013, 04:49 PM
How would one even shoot a rifle without a handguard?

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:51 PM
klcm;

No, far from it.

They have 57 votes on the Yes side, if you tally up the No, No Vote, and Present we've got 59 on our side.

The question is can (and will) Chicago buy out the votes it needs.

Phelps tried to sabotage it by including pre-emption language that would bring their total tally required to a supermajority, but it was withdrawn.

My guess is they're using the solid support of an Assault Weapons Ban as leverage to water down the pending Concealed Carry legislation.

"Give us a high cap magazine ban and we'll vote for your shall issue bill, as long as you can't carry here and here and here and here and here and here etc."

Trent
March 5, 2013, 04:52 PM
How would one even shoot a rifle without a handguard?

Here's how I do it:

http://i.imgur.com/yMN2EPfl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xR2C9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wik67fvl.jpg

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info Trent. I do agree and believe that there will be lots of dirty pool with the Concealed Carry and AWB going on at the same time. I have no idea how it will end but rest assured you have an ally in the fight. I can't leave Illinois for 5 or 6 more years but I would like to help fight and win before I go to show the rest of the states that we ARE salvagable.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Going to be an interesting day tomorrow when we all descend on Springfield for iGOLD.

I'm angry (won't let me use the other word I wanted to use..)

HighExpert
March 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Trent, I have to move back to Fl and therefor have a 3/2 2400sq ft house for sale in gun friendly VA. If interested, send me a PM.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 05:14 PM
I already have my eye on an estate in Indiana with a built in vault. I'll keep the house in IL to work out of but hold the guns at the other property.

I'm seriously considering reincorporating my business in another state so THEY get all of the corporate tax money. If I get a residence in another state, well, the corporate income goes with me.

All of it.

JTHunter
March 5, 2013, 05:16 PM
God help us!

Trent - I'll be there too!

Bubbles
March 5, 2013, 05:26 PM
WV has room for more gun owners.

Also, my offer stands - if anyone needs stuff sent out of state while you make arrangements to leave, let me know. You'll get it back after a cleaning and light technical inspection. Unfortunately we're very backlogged at the moment so it could take a while to get to your guns. ;)

dmckean44
March 5, 2013, 05:41 PM
WV has room for more gun owners.

Also, my offer stands - if anyone needs stuff sent out of state while you make arrangements to leave, let me know. You'll get it back after a cleaning and light technical inspection. Unfortunately we're very backlogged at the moment so it could take a while to get to your guns. ;)

Depending on how things play out in California, I may take you up on that.

Phatty
March 5, 2013, 05:57 PM
They have 57 votes on the Yes side, if you tally up the No, No Vote, and Present we've got 59 on our side.
I'm guessing some of the 57 "yes" votes would not be "yes" votes for a final bill. There are plenty of Democrats who probably voted "Yes" today for political reasons when they know the votes are meaningless, but will not vote for an assault weapons ban when the final vote actually counts.

There were a lot of cross-over votes on HB1155 that voted for anti-gun amendments but then ended up voting in favor of Phelps' HB997 amendment.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm guessing some of the 57 "yes" votes would not be "yes" votes for a final bill. There are plenty of Democrats who probably voted "Yes" today for political reasons when they know the votes are meaningless, but will not vote for an assault weapons ban when the final vote actually counts.

There were a lot of cross-over votes on HB1155 that voted for anti-gun amendments but then ended up voting in favor of Phelps' HB997 amendment.

Yeah, but if you remember, at least one representative said he'd only vote for the "final" bill if the amendments he voted on were INCLUDED.

Some of those amendments are a joke; one would ban me from carrying in my own office, because it's next door ('adjacent') to a school. Another would mean I'm breaking the law driving with a weapon past the Illinois Central College *agriculture* farm field. (Driving adjacent to college property), and so on.

The language of those is highly offensive to me, and the entire concept of "gun free zones" is nothing more than wishful thinking.

EVERY shooting - with very rare exception - happens in a gun free zone.

Jeff White
March 5, 2013, 06:47 PM
The silence from the ISRA on this debate is deafening......

Trent
March 5, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jeff - no kidding.

They didn't even POST on Facebook or send out any alerts about it until WELL AFTER the damn thing was OVER today.

Hell, I log on to IllinoisCarry every morning to see what mauserme posts up for the agenda that day, I was sitting on the video feed 3 hours before the house even convened (due to the caucus they always take to blow off half the day).

Useless organization.

Phatty
March 5, 2013, 07:04 PM
The silence from the ISRA on this debate is deafening......
Which is surprising because the ISRA usually never passes up an opportunity to scare the crap out of its members.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 07:12 PM
Oh it'll come tomorrow.

OMG!!!! MADIGAN WOKE UP AGAIN TODAY! GIVE US MONEY!

Sorry. I'm heading in a direction that isn't high road so I'll shut up now.

Trent
March 5, 2013, 11:16 PM
Haha 1938 Germany... yeah.

Someday school kids will be reading about "The Diary of Trent Lawrence"....

Well maybe not.

I have more guns than she did.

;)

Trent
March 6, 2013, 09:38 AM
Sorry I had Anne Franks on the brain. My two junior high children are currently studying her in school. Except, they're not reading the BOOK for literature class, rather, they're reading the PLAY.

I was not very happy with that decision by the teacher; the play doesn't accurately reflect the history, thought process, and environment. But that's a topic for a different day.

List of representatives that voted YES on the assault weapons ban:

Name ; District ; Party

Edward J. Acevedo 2 D
Luis Arroyo 3 D
Maria Antonia Berrios 39 D
Daniel J. Burke 1 D
Kelly Burke 36 D
Kelly M. Cassidy 14 D
Linda Chapa LaVia 83 D
Deborah Conroy 46 D
Fred Crespo 44 D
Barbara Flynn Currie 25 D
John D'Amico 15 D
Monique D. Davis 27 D
William Davis 30 D
Scott Drury 58 D
Kenneth Dunkin 5 D
Marcus C. Evans, Jr. 33 D
Keith Farnham 43 D
Sara Feigenholtz 12 D
Laura Fine 17 D
Mary E. Flowers 31 D
La Shawn K. Ford 8 D
Jack D. Franks 63 D
Robyn Gabel 18 D
Esther Golar 6 D
Jehan A. Gordon-Booth 92 D
Greg Harris 13 D
Elizabeth Hernandez 24 D
Frances Ann Hurley 35 D
Naomi D. Jakobsson 103 D
Charles E. Jefferson 67 D
Thaddeus Jones 29 D
Stephanie A Kifowit 84 D
Lou Lang 16 D
Camille Y. Lilly 78 D
Natalie A Manley 98 D
Robert F Martwick 19 D
Rita Mayfield 60 D
Emily McAsey 85 D
Deborah Mell 40 D
Christian L Mitchell 26 D
Martin J Moylan 55 D
Michelle Mussman 56 D
Elaine Nekritz 57 D
Al Riley 38 D
Robert Rita 28 D
Carol A. Sente 59 D
Elgie R. Sims, Jr. 34 D
Derrick Smith 10 D
Cynthia Soto 4 D
Silvana Tabares 21 D
André M. Thapedi 32 D
Arthur Turner 9 D
Lawrence M. Walsh, Jr. 86 D
Emanuel Chris Welch 7 D
Ann Williams 11 D
Kathleen Willis 77 D
Sam Yingling 62 D
Michael J. Zalewski 23 D
Michael Madigan 22 D

Source: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35274

(Compiled by Elderberry)

IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE IS ON THIS LIST PICK UP YOUR PHONE AND CALL THEM.

If you look at which reps voted "Y" on individual amendments, not ALL voted yes on all, but 59 of them voted on SOME of them (total).

They're only *1* vote shy of having a simple majority to pass an assault weapons ban that does not include pre-emption language. (That's bad, very bad)

This is running TOO CLOSE folks. Time to get you butts in gear!!!!

-T

Old Fuff
March 6, 2013, 11:01 AM
List of representatives that voted YES on the assault weapons ban:

All "D's" and no "R's". Draw your own conclusions. :cuss:

JFtheGR8
March 6, 2013, 12:07 PM
Those D's that did vote yes need to hear from their pro 2A constituents to remind them of what the silent majority wants.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Old Fuff
March 6, 2013, 12:13 PM
Maybe a new designation would help:

D-C = Democrat/Chicago
D-R = Democrat/Rural

Same for Republicans.

Mer2112
March 6, 2013, 12:26 PM
OK, what's a good "script" to use when contacting our representatives? We need to keep it short, sweet and to the point.

JFtheGR8
March 6, 2013, 02:18 PM
OK, what's a good "script" to use when contacting our representatives? We need to keep it short, sweet and to the point.

I believe there is such a thread on Illinoiscarry.com for just what you're looking for. My reps are pro 2A so I didn't have too difficult a job writing to them. I've used the web forms on Ruger, Smith & Wesson and the like to contact my federal legislators.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

Jeff White
March 6, 2013, 03:35 PM
All "D's" and no "R's". Draw your own conclusions.

The republicans decided not to participate in protest of the way Madigan used the rules to bring this debate to the floor.

Mike Madigan is Illinois state government. Quinn is just comic relief. Nothing happens in the Illinois legislature that Mike Madigan doesn't personally approve. The rules were written to give him that power when he became speaker.

Blackbeard
March 6, 2013, 03:52 PM
If it passes, what are the chances SAF will challenge it? Can they get an injunction to keep it from becoming law?

Trent
March 6, 2013, 07:46 PM
We spoke back today.

Early estimates from the Prairie Convention Center put attendance on Illinois' rally around the 8,000 mark today. :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=706951

Clinton
March 6, 2013, 07:50 PM
Was phenominal. I was there!

Clinton

Trent
March 6, 2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah it was an eye opener, for both sides. I was floored by the amount of people that showed up, despite the weather. 6 buses got cancelled, last minute, from what I heard.

Definitely a memorable experience!

And, make no mistake, they knew we were there. You couldn't take a leak without seeing a gold shirt. :)

Birdhunter1
March 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
AWESOME guys. Wish I could have been there.

hey_poolboy
March 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
That's fantastic considering the weather! I missed it this year of all years. :-(
Wish I was there instead of doing inventory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wow6599
March 6, 2013, 09:59 PM
My wife is from Murphysboro, IL. I know a lot of good folks from your sate, and I pray for the best for you all, but I don't see how 8,000 folks out of nearly 13,000,000 helps.

You'll get more than twice as many for a Blackhawks game........

Trent
March 6, 2013, 10:19 PM
My wife is from Murphysboro, IL. I know a lot of good folks from your sate, and I pray for the best for you all, but I don't see how 8,000 folks out of nearly 13,000,000 helps.

You'll get more than twice as many for a Blackhawks game........

Back in 2001 when we met (it was called Concealed Carry Inc, or somethingrather), we were all able to fit in to the backroom of a bar in the Chicago Suburbs. The first time we actually met up and went to the State Capitol there were about 2 dozen gun owners present.

I'd say we have come a very long way. ;)

Illinois gun owners are speaking in other ways as well. At the Judicial committee hearing last week, the Illinois State Police representative commented that the FOID system had been overwhelmed since Sandy Hook, and was still sitting at a backlog of over 60,000 NEW applications.

Gun owners in this state are waking up. Every time there's a firearms committee hearing there's hundreds of witness slips filed, and close to a thousand viewers watching live over LiveStream. That's not counting people (like me) who watch the 240p stream over ILGA's site, since stats aren't tracked there.

On 2/22/2013 during Madigan's push for a "may issue" concealed carry process, over 2000 posts were made in a 6 hour period on the thread on IllinoisCarry, and the thread had nearly 75,000 views.

In 6 hours.

Even as big as TheHighRoad.org is, we don't see anywhere NEAR that volume of forum traffic here in the same period of time; at least, not on one subject. I think the closest thing we have here is Flintknapper's Epic Saga of Boar Hunting In Texas, but that's taken years to write... :)

Birdhunter1
March 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
Trent are you a mod at Illinois carry?

Trent
March 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
Nope, I lurked for years and just recently joined.

Solo
March 6, 2013, 10:29 PM
So, I heard in the news (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/18658704-418/illinois-house-advances-assault-weapons-ban-but-short-on-votes-to-pass-bill.html) that the proposals were advanced, but not passed?

Trent
March 6, 2013, 10:32 PM
Birdhunter; I've covered my story a bit in some of the "Debating an Anti-Gunner" threads I've wrote and other threads I've contributed to on here; short story follows:

I was an activist (of the strongest, loudest variety) back in the late 90's / early 2000's. I got stomped on HARD by the Illinois State Police, was listed as Armed and Dangerous for my outspoken views and ... certain affiliations. Spent a lot of time handcuffed on the ground getting my car searched at random traffic stops. Even got to be on a first name basis with certain FBI agents out of the quad cities. (Long story).

Back then the State did not want to hear what we were demanding. The right to self defense, the end of "first class citizenry."

I eventually got tired of getting harassed for my views, and ... 'retired.'

Life, career, children, and so on took priority.

But as my kids grew older, and the anti-gun agenda in Illinois gained traction, I realized that it's either time to stand up, or shut up. My children's heritage is on the line, and they will not be deprived of the freedoms I have enjoyed. Their freedom is not up for debate. *I* am their representative. THEY do not get the right to vote yet.

Much of that transformation, including some serious internal personal conflicts from first hand losses from gun violence, has been documented on this very forum.

Bottom line though, MY personal free time is not worth anything, compared to the future of my five children, and their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of whatever the hell makes them happy.

So I'm as active as possible, with all the time I have available. (Except for some occasional downtime with Star Trek on Netflix... I'm a geek.)

Anyway, that's the short version.

Trent
March 6, 2013, 10:35 PM
So, I heard in the news (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/18658704-418/illinois-house-advances-assault-weapons-ban-but-short-on-votes-to-pass-bill.html) that the proposals were advanced, but not passed?

The amendments were passed.

Chicago is short only ONE vote to get this passed without preemption (assuming all members are present)

They are looking for that vote right now, I'd bet my bottom dollar.

They might SAY they aren't advancing it, just to take us off guard.

Wait until the first time 4 or 5 pro-gun reps are sick and not present.

You'll see that bill thrown out on the floor for a vote by Madigan before you can say "What the..."

Solo
March 6, 2013, 10:42 PM
Ah. That's pretty bad for IL. Keep us updated, Trent.

If it does pass, I'm hoping for a lawsuit. It's about time.

Trent
March 6, 2013, 11:17 PM
Ah. That's pretty bad for IL. Keep us updated, Trent.

If it does pass, I'm hoping for a lawsuit. It's about time.

Legislation takes months (sometimes days; look at what happened in NY)... litigation takes years.

And lots.. and lots.. and lots of money.

And really smart people. :)

Solo
March 7, 2013, 03:31 AM
Well, in NY, the courts are filing an injunction against the SAFE act unless the state can show it is constitutional, so there's some hope.

And even if a legal battle takes years, winning it is a more permanent victory than preventing a bill from passing. :)

Trent
March 7, 2013, 08:05 AM
Solo, I'd agree about permanent change, to a degree.

But as an example; despite the Federal court ruling, the Chicago SA has already stated publicly that in Cook County / Chicago, anyone who carries a firearm will be arrested and charged with a felony; even IF the state passes concealed carry; and/or even IF the June 9th Federal Court ruling kicks in to effect without a replacement law for Unlawful Use of Weapons.

How much more clearly does a state or local Government have to be about trampling a basic civil right?

fehhkk
March 7, 2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but the Cook County SA was alone in making that declaration. He said it was his sole idea only, I think Rep. reboletti challenged him when he made that statement during the hearings

mayassa
March 7, 2013, 11:10 AM
Holy cow! :what: I joined the military left Illinois in 85 and I'm so glad I never moved back. Last one out please take the flag with you. Might as well give the state over to China for payment of some of the debt we have with them. People in Illinois won't mind.

Bubbles
March 7, 2013, 11:11 AM
I don't see how 8,000 folks out of nearly 13,000,000 helps...
For 8000 people to show up at a state capital on fairly short notice, on a work day, when the weather makes travel difficult, is nothing short of phenomenal.

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:26 AM
Yup, this pretty much smashes the pro-gun rallies seen in other states, back in January and February, which were on weekends and in fairer weather.

Akita1
March 7, 2013, 12:39 PM
I already have my eye on an estate in Indiana with a built in vault. I'll keep the house in IL to work out of but hold the guns at the other property.

I'm seriously considering reincorporating my business in another state so THEY get all of the corporate tax money. If I get a residence in another state, well, the corporate income goes with me.

All of it.
and THAT, my friend is the answer if all else fails and you have the ability to do so!

Akita1
March 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
Trent - what is the chance any of this gets struck down on appeal (if signed into law as you expect)? Not from IL so don't know the appellate court system there. Thanks.

Phatty
March 7, 2013, 12:50 PM
Trent - what is the chance any of this gets struck down on appeal (if signed into law as you expect)? Not from IL so don't know the appellate court system there. Thanks.
There's almost no chance that an Illinois state court would strike down the law (maybe a particular provision of the law could get stricken if it was particularly egregious). In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any firearms law that has ever been struck down by an Illinois court.

With regard to the federal courts in Illinois, we would probably lose at the district court level (the first level of the federal court system) and in my opinion have about a 40% chance of success at the federal appellate level (7th Circuit Court of Appeals), highly dependent on the particular panel of judges assigned to the case. It would take 18-24 months to get to that point.

Jeff White
March 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any firearms law that has ever been struck down by an Illinois court.

The state supreme court did make the definition of a cased firearm be enforced as it is written not the way the lower courts interpreted it.

Trent
March 7, 2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah, back in 2006. That was a heck of a great ruling for Illinois residents as it changed the transportation rules (as seen by State's Attorney and police), allowing us to carry unloaded weapons in the glove box with a loaded magazine next to them.

Still a far cry from true self defense, but at least puts you a few seconds closer to it... assuming you don't bungle the mag / speedloader loading process under pressure.

Phatty
March 7, 2013, 01:25 PM
I should add that last year the Illinois Supreme Court did not flatly reject a plaintiff's challenge to the Cook County assault weapon ban. Instead, it allowed the plaintiff to proceed with his lawsuit to give both parties a chance to present evidence. As far as I know, that case is still working its way through the trial court.

Phatty
March 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
The state supreme court did make the definition of a cased firearm be enforced as it is written not the way the lower courts interpreted it.
How sad is our State when we consider it a great win for gun rights when the Illinois Supreme Court decides to interpret a statute consistently with the plain meaning of that statute.

Jeff White
March 7, 2013, 01:45 PM
There are plenty of laws that the courts have interpreted to mean something somewhat different then the plain language of the statute. Probably in all states and at the federal level.

I like to say that a law doesn't mean what it say until the courts have ruled on it.

JTHunter
March 8, 2013, 11:42 PM
Trent - last year, the crowds seemed larger and decidedly more boistrous than this year. Last year, people lined all thre levels of the rotunda and chanted "Concealed carry NOW!" for a full minute. In moving through the many halls and esp. in the underground tunnel, you could hear more of those off & on chants. :D

Not this year. Don't know why not other than somebody didn't want us to push too hard because of the June 9th deadline. :confused:

Still, it's a lot of fun to hang out with "a few" like-minded friends. :evil:

Trent
March 9, 2013, 08:51 AM
[B]
Still, it's a lot of fun to hang out with "a few" like-minded friends. :evil:

Yeah, it was.

I felt a tremendous feeling of pride this week, being surrounded by so many people who were united in a determined, singular effort.

As we walked around the capitol building, looking for one particular office, we went down the north house side, and down the back stairs to get to the first floor. My son turned and look at me all freaked out "Dad, are we supposed to be here???" (Meaning the halls, the stairs, etc)

I looked at him confused for a minute, then something in my head clicked; I understood what he was feeling.

I turned to him, smiled, and said:

"Son, I'll go any damn place I feel like going in THIS building, all of these suits you see walking around work for the PEOPLE, and the PEOPLE own this building. I'll go where I please, and say what I please. They are public servants and we allow them to occupy this building to do our bidding, not the other way around."

breakingcontact
March 9, 2013, 11:01 PM
Do some of the radical socialists who run Illinois want this ban? Of course...but many more are happy to give the public a distraction from the real problem in Illinois:

nearly $100 billion behind in pension obligations. You know, the pensions forced in by the unions/democrats.

I still don't see how people don't see this as left vs right. I suppose in Illinois they are equal opportunity in sending governors to prison. What a joke.

Perhaps this is also a response to y'all gaining your concealed carry rights.

lilguy
March 9, 2013, 11:35 PM
So, what does one do with a collection when this passes?

Trent
March 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
First thing I'll do, if it passes, is file a big nasty lawsuit against the State of Illinois.

lilguy
March 10, 2013, 09:38 AM
Anyone know where to find the story concerning the FTF transfer trap set up by the Cook County sheriff ? Thats what's coming with this law, they'll begin hounding folks trying to sell their collections.

steelerdude99
March 10, 2013, 09:47 AM
Anyone know where to find the story concerning the FTF transfer trap set up by the Cook County sheriff? That's what's coming with this law, they'll begin hounding folks trying to sell their collections.

lilguy,
Please elaborate on the "FTF transfer trap". I have never heard of it.

chuck

Deanimator
March 10, 2013, 10:01 AM
Anyone know where to find the story concerning the FTF transfer trap set up by the Cook County sheriff ? Thats what's coming with this law, they'll begin hounding folks trying to sell their collections.
It's on Second City Cop blog.

Bubbles
March 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
So, what does one do with a collection when this passes?
See my post #14. Get the guns safely out of your state during the legal challenge or until you can arrange to move.

lilguy
March 10, 2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/519611_BEWARE_OF_THE_COOK_COUNRY_SHERIFF_The_Games_Have_Begun.html

breakingcontact
March 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
Look at Trent's list and claim this isn't about Republicans or Democrats, ha!

Trent
March 10, 2013, 02:50 PM
breakingcontact;

No, it's really more like "Chicago Vs. Everyone Else".

All of the downstate Democrats have historically voted pro-gun, including East St. Louis, surprisingly enough.

It just so happens that Chicago is predominantly democrats.

(There *are* a few Republicans around Chicago, they withheld their vote this time due to Republican caucus calling for a no-vote on "political games". HOWEVER, many of those Chicago republicans are VEHEMENTLY anti-gun.)

NOTE: Which is why the amount of votes they had is VERY CONCERNING. There are more than enough Republicans around Chicago who will vote with the Chicago Machine when this comes to a floor vote, and it could VERY easily throw them over the simple majority they need to pass it without pre-emption.

The only hope we have then is successfully lobbying county by county to pass ordinances ALLOWING "assault weapons", since they could override state law due to home rule. I'm not 100% confident my county would do this, but I'd sure as hell push for it, if it came to pass. Strongly.

Trent
March 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
NOTE: That'd put Illinois in a very strange predicament. If the state passed an assault weapons ban WITHOUT pre-emption it would allow individual counties and cities > 25,000 to pass home rule ordinances ALLOWING "assault weapons/high capacity magazines".

So we could end up with a patchwork of odd laws, where I might not be able to drive a rifle to a range 3 counties over, or even own one at all.

(We're like that right now with Alcohol here, we have dry / wet counties and cities).

breakingcontact
March 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
Right, of course...and those downstate conservative Democrats just by being democrats help put Democrats in leadership positions to get these bills introduced/moved through committees and voted on in the first place. The good ol downstate democrats need to get on board with the Republicans.

What a mess your state is in. I hope you all find a way to fix it all. Glad to see you are close to concealed carry. Hate to see the rest of your gun laws turn out like Colorado is going. And with those unfunded pension obligations I don't have any idea how the state is going to move forward economically.

Trent
March 10, 2013, 04:21 PM
Well, to be honest, the downstate democrats are like the democrats of old, before the party went totally nuts. They're the democrats akin to those of my Grandfather's generation.

The democrats of Chicago (and the Republicans, for that matter) are control freaks. They fear everything, therefore feel they must control everything. Oh, and profit. They want to collect the most revenue they possibly can, so they can increase handouts, so they can get re-elected, so they can increase taxes and tolls and fees, so they can increase handouts, so they can get re-elected.... ad naseum.

Phatty
March 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
NOTE: That'd put Illinois in a very strange predicament. If the state passed an assault weapons ban WITHOUT pre-emption it would allow individual counties and cities > 25,000 to pass home rule ordinances ALLOWING "assault weapons/high capacity magazines".

So we could end up with a patchwork of odd laws, where I might not be able to drive a rifle to a range 3 counties over, or even own one at all.

(We're like that right now with Alcohol here, we have dry / wet counties and cities).
I'm not sure that is correct. If there is an Illinois criminal statute that says "you can't do X", no municipality (even if home rule) can pass a law nullifying the state law. Without preemption a home rule municipality could pass more stringent laws or pass related laws in the same field, but home rule units can't outright contradict state laws.

Trent
March 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
Phatty;

Yup, you're absolutely right. I had that backwards in my head for some reason!

So if they get a simple majority we're pretty much screwed... that's not good.

Edit; that would explain the Phelps amendment to it that he withdrew, that was a rather innocuous amendment (Can't tax ammo or something) except it said it pre-empted home rule; which would raise the vote count required to 71...

-Xero-
March 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
UNCONSTITUTIONAL -- And the legal thicket that's going to get dived into is the "uninfringed" provisions of the 2nd Amendment.

I'm thinking the progressives in this nation are underestimating the breadth and depth of the armed electorate.

Frank Ettin
March 11, 2013, 02:00 AM
UNCONSTITUTIONAL --...Perhaps in your opinion, and perhaps a court will so find. But a law isn't unconstitutional until a court says so.

Warners
March 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
Yeah, back in 2006. That was a heck of a great ruling for Illinois residents as it changed the transportation rules (as seen by State's Attorney and police), allowing us to carry unloaded weapons in the glove box with a loaded magazine next to them.

Still a far cry from true self defense, but at least puts you a few seconds closer to it... assuming you don't bungle the mag / speedloader loading process under pressure.
Trent, I know that this is technically legal, but don't you think one would get arrested if officer friendly pulled you over and you had a gun in the glove box (with a loaded magazine removed by also in the glovebox)? I'm just sayin'.....

Let me know your thoughts, and THANKS for all the work that you do!

Warner

Trent
March 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
You could either keep a print out of the supreme court ruling, or pull up google on your smartphone. :)

Google search on this (https://www.google.com/search?q=illinois+supreme+court+ruling+firearm+in+glovebox&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS498US498&aq=f&oq=illinois+supreme+court+ruling+firearm+in+glovebox&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l3.9807&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

(I carry this way all the time, as long as the center console or glove box has a "latch" it's considered a container.)

Trent
March 11, 2013, 09:54 AM
Here's the ruling itself.

http://www.state.il.us/court/OPINIONS/SupremeCourt/2009/October/106367.pdf

Based on the foregoing, we find, in the case at bar, that the center
console of a vehicle falls within the ordinary definition of case. A
center console is a receptacle that contains or holds something. As
such, we find that defendant’s conduct falls within the exception set
forth in section 24–1.6(c)(iii). In so finding, we note that our result is
controlled by the plain language of section 24–16(c)(iii) as enacted by
the legislature. We are not at liberty to depart from the language
employed. Whether the statute is wise or the best means to achieve
the desired result are matters left to the legislature, not this court

Warners
March 11, 2013, 09:54 AM
You could either keep a print out of the supreme court ruling, or pull up google on your smartphone. :)

Google search on this (https://www.google.com/search?q=illinois+supreme+court+ruling+firearm+in+glovebox&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS498US498&aq=f&oq=illinois+supreme+court+ruling+firearm+in+glovebox&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l3.9807&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

(I carry this way all the time, as long as the center console or glove box has a "latch" it's considered a container.)
Yeah...true. My fear would be that the cop would wipe his a** with it just prior to cuffing me. :)

Warner

Trent
March 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Well, he might do that.

And there are lawyers for that.

http://www.chicagodefenseattorney.net/Practice-Areas/False-Arrest.shtml

Warners
March 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
Well, he might do that.

And there are lawyers for that.

http://www.chicagodefenseattorney.net/Practice-Areas/False-Arrest.shtml
True....and the case would get dropped, as ALL of such cases have. It's just a matter of how much hassle and how much money you want to spend, right?

Warner

lilguy
March 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
Seem like the authorities are going to be busy in the near future.

Trent
March 11, 2013, 09:06 PM
lilguy; start a thread on it, and ask. :)

(I did the same thing once to find a lawyer for someone; but that lawyer isn't taking new clients right now, and they're a long way from you anyway.)

Warners;

I have one friend who has been arrested a couple of times on unlawful use of weapons and had the case dropped each time - after a weekend stay in jail. He's a member of this board.

I've got my own (long) stories about that too, but I've already told them here once, and don't want to clutter up the thread. :)

Warners
March 13, 2013, 10:44 AM
lilguy; start a thread on it, and ask. :)

(I did the same thing once to find a lawyer for someone; but that lawyer isn't taking new clients right now, and they're a long way from you anyway.)

Warners;

I have one friend who has been arrested a couple of times on unlawful use of weapons and had the case dropped each time - after a weekend stay in jail. He's a member of this board.

I've got my own (long) stories about that too, but I've already told them here once, and don't want to clutter up the thread. :)
Yeah, I've read several stories about this, ALL which have led me to the belief that for me, it's not worth the hassle. Now, if LOTS of people started doing this, getting arrested, and getting the cases dropped, maybe it would bring this to light and help to educate the cops. I have a couple of cop friends on the local force (one of them is my FFL in fact), and they all tell me that they would arrest someone who was carrying in that manner, even after I pointed out the law to them. So there you go.....

Warner

cauldron
March 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah... Unloaded. In a case. Zipped shut. Ammo somewhere else. AND still arrested for 'having a gun accessible'

Three times so far. I've never tried the center consel or the glove box, but can guess what would happen...

The first thing the DA does after a night in jail, is offer you a bargain. Plead guilty to a lesser charge, like an invalid FOID card, and give up the weapon. Sometimes they make you wait till Monday to see a judge to set bail.

First time: Shotgun in case. Hatchback car, gun in hatchback. Pulled over on a weekend. Never told why. East Peoria police, Tazewell Co. Officer noticed the shotgun, checked it, and let me go. His boss had me arrested the next day. Notice to appear. Hired a lawyer, went to court, Judge dismissed.

Second time: Fanny pack gun case with pistol, ammo in glove box. Peoria City. Four friends at 9pm on a Tuesday at a gas station after leaving a coffee shop. Everyone pulled out and frisked, car searched under protest. Never told why I was "stopped" (I was getting gas while a friend bought cigarettes) The pistol was found, nothing else. (Felony charge at that time) Weekend in jail, $1000 bail. Hired the same lawyer, saw the judge, charges dropped. The city police did not want to give the ammo back after the judge dropped the charges. (I got the ammo back)

Third time: Gun case, pistol, ammo in glove box. East Peoria, Tazewell Co. Pulled over in parking lot for not using signal to change lanes while in traffic. License suspended for an insurance ticket. (I was mailed a 'random' proof of insurance notice, and while I responded and had insurance, it never got filed... I was told...) The deputy wrote the ticket, and told my buddy to drive after this. Then walked over to the jeep, and climbed it. (we were returning a movie, and were outside the vehicle when he 'stopped' us) I asked him what he was doing. and he said searching my vehicle. I said I did not want him searching it. He said no problem, he was arresting me for driving on a suspended license. Handcuffed and set in his car. Dog was called. Dog alerted. car was searched. By no less than six officers and deputies. search went on for two hours after they found my pistol. Nothing else was found. Car was towed and impounded. I spent the weekend in jail. Bail was $4000. my buddy was told to walk home.

I had a copy of the law the second two times. The second time they refused to listen to me, or read the statute. (I mean rudely ignore me and I was not about to raise my voice) Third time they would not get it, or read it. I told the deputy the page number of the exception, and the statute number from memory. The book was in sight in his shoulder bag in his car. He started to pull out the book, then said he was not going to look it up.

TMMV!:D

Warners
March 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah... Unloaded. In a case. Zipped shut. Ammo somewhere else. AND still arrested for 'having a gun accessible'

Three times so far. I've never tried the center consel or the glove box, but can guess what would happen...

The first thing the DA does after a night in jail, is offer you a bargain. Plead guilty to a lesser charge, like an invalid FOID card, and give up the weapon. Sometimes they make you wait till Monday to see a judge to set bail.

First time: Shotgun in case. Hatchback car, gun in hatchback. Pulled over on a weekend. Never told why. East Peoria police, Tazewell Co. Officer noticed the shotgun, checked it, and let me go. His boss had me arrested the next day. Notice to appear. Hired a lawyer, went to court, Judge dismissed.

Second time: Fanny pack gun case with pistol, ammo in glove box. Peoria City. Four friends at 9pm on a Tuesday at a gas station after leaving a coffee shop. Everyone pulled out and frisked, car searched under protest. Never told why I was "stopped" (I was getting gas while a friend bought cigarettes) The pistol was found, nothing else. (Felony charge at that time) Weekend in jail, $1000 bail. Hired the same lawyer, saw the judge, charges dropped. The city police did not want to give the ammo back after the judge dropped the charges. (I got the ammo back)

Third time: Gun case, pistol, ammo in glove box. East Peoria, Tazewell Co. Pulled over in parking lot for not using signal to change lanes while in traffic. License suspended for an insurance ticket. (I was mailed a 'random' proof of insurance notice, and while I responded and had insurance, it never got filed... I was told...) The deputy wrote the ticket, and told my buddy to drive after this. Then walked over to the jeep, and climbed it. (we were returning a movie, and were outside the vehicle when he 'stopped' us) I asked him what he was doing. and he said searching my vehicle. I said I did not want him searching it. He said no problem, he was arresting me for driving on a suspended license. Handcuffed and set in his car. Dog was called. Dog alerted. car was searched. By no less than six officers and deputies. search went on for two hours after they found my pistol. Nothing else was found. Car was towed and impounded. I spent the weekend in jail. Bail was $4000. my buddy was told to walk home.

I had a copy of the law the second two times. The second time they refused to listen to me, or read the statute. (I mean rudely ignore me and I was not about to raise my voice) Third time they would not get it, or read it. I told the deputy the page number of the exception, and the statute number from memory. The book was in sight in his shoulder bag in his car. He started to pull out the book, then said he was not going to look it up.

TMMV!:D
It would be nice if you had any of these incidents on video tape. Sure sounds like harassment and false arrest to me. Then again, I'm no lawyer.....

Warner

Bubbles
March 13, 2013, 03:38 PM
Go-Pro's are getting cheap. Just sayin'.

Trent
March 13, 2013, 08:29 PM
High capacity magazine bill failed today BY TWO VOTES.

DAMN that was close!

Warners
March 13, 2013, 08:32 PM
High capacity magazine bill failed today BY TWO VOTES.

DAMN that was close!
Whew!!!

Trent
March 13, 2013, 09:16 PM
Don't relax yet.

They are bringing the mag ban back with grandfathering (amendment filed) - to see if they can pick up the other two votes.

Failing that, they will probably re-file, then hold it until 2 Republicans fail to show up for work and then ram it through.

Madigan is blocking ALL pro-gun bills from hitting the floor for a vote.

Chicago is playing hardball. And we're very close to losing.

Trent
March 13, 2013, 09:25 PM
I figured you might be lurking on this thread!

Gotta do coffee again sometime. :)

Once, I was pulled over near Knoxville on I74 westbound, the deputy freaked out when he saw a 308 cartridge in my ashtray in the car through the window. A statewide alert was issued. SWAT was called in. Camera crews were turned away. I-74 westbound was shut down for three hours and detoured. (To be fair, their reaction was sort-of justified - there was a high profile militia trial going on in Galesburg and I *was* involved with the group at the time).

After that I was listed as "Consider Armed and Dangerous" for a couple of years. I've been handcuffed and tossed on the ground a total of four times now. Car impounded once, towed twice (at my expense). Never convicted;

Cauldron had it worse than I did; I only spent one night in jail. But we didn't have it "worst". The worst, were my friends who got felony charges, which stuck.

Being on first name basis with the Sheriff and States Attorney isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Trent
March 13, 2013, 09:34 PM

Forgot to mention;

In Tazewell County, outside of incorporated cities, you should be OK. I had a phone call with Sheriff Huston late last year and sent him (And SA Umholtz) a copy of that supreme court ruling via e-mail.

I made sure they were BOTH aware of the IL Supreme Court ruling (they were NOT aware of it, BTW), AND told Huston to inform their deputies (to avoid potential .. issues), as I intended on carrying a firearm in that fashion to work every day (unloaded, in my center console). I also informed the Tremont police that I carried an unloaded gun in the car, AND a loaded firearm in my office, in case they ever stopped me for something.

That was 5 or so months ago, and I haven't been arrested yet.

(FYI driving to Pekin this way makes me somewhat nervous, but I'm not breaking the law; so we'll see how that plays out if it ever gets there.)

sleepyone
March 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
Reading these posts from people living in IL makes gives me chills. I live in TX but was working in North Dakota as a landman two years ago and was going to work on a project in Ohio. Fortunately, I did not take the job, but my plan was to drive through Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky rather than risk getting busted in IL. I had three hand guns that I always carried while working out of state and a TX CHL. But after reading some of the requirements for transporting weapons, I was not about to do what was required. I also drive an ext. cab truck, so a trunk was not an option, and I'm not about to carry my weapons in my nasty old toolbox.

Trent
March 14, 2013, 09:31 AM
Sleepyone;

This should make you chuckle.

Take the bolt out of a rifle and you don't have to carry it in a case. Only way to transport my Barrett... Since the case won't fit in my Mustang.

http://i.imgur.com/H9tT8XNl.jpg

Now, I only have back roads between my house and the range, but I can only IMAGINE the fun at a traffic stop this would cause. :)

Warners
March 14, 2013, 09:45 AM
Sleepyone;

This should make you chuckle.

Take the bolt out of a rifle and you don't have to carry it in a case. Only way to transport my Barrett... Since the case won't fit in my Mustang.

Now, I only have back roads between my house and the range, but I can only IMAGINE the fun at a traffic stop this would cause. :)

Ahhhhhh......."FUN" isn't exactly the thought that comes to mind in the scenario. :what::what::what::what::what::what:

cauldron
March 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
Somewhere I still have the letter that the SA gave out to all local law enforcement.

Basically it stated that although it was legal to transport a gun inside a car, arrest them anyway as it will be prosecuted.

I should scan it and post it everywhere...:evil:

Warners
March 14, 2013, 12:47 PM
Somewhere I still have the letter that the SA gave out to all local law enforcement.

Basically it stated that although it was legal to transport a gun inside a car, arrest them anyway as it will be prosecuted.

Nice. Isn't it a GREAT state that we live in? Stop the ride.....I want to get off!

Warner

Jeff White
March 14, 2013, 12:50 PM

I for one would like to see that. It would make a great start into an official misconduct investigation....

Trent
March 14, 2013, 01:03 PM

Yeah Umholtz didn't leave me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I spoke to him on the phone last fall about Short Barreled Rifles becoming legal. ;)

Our Sheriff is cool as hell. But our SA is... well. This is THR. I'll shut up now.

Shinbone
March 14, 2013, 01:38 PM
Here's a thought I don't want to think about. What if they start staking out at the range entrances? :mad:
Or maybe that has already happened?

Godsgunman
March 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
I was born and raised in IL and am very glad I am out. Many fond memories hunting and fishing with my Grandfather north of Peoria area. I know if he was still around he would be having an absolute fit with the crap ya'll are dealing with. Good luck!

Trent
March 14, 2013, 05:46 PM
Here's a thought I don't want to think about. What if they start staking out at the range entrances? :mad:
Or maybe that has already happened?

The Illinois State Police planned the hiring of another 17 enforcement officers in one of the earlier fiscal notes, and testified before committee this year on the numbers, to do that very thing.

Make no mistake, the Illinois State Police is FIRMLY behind the Illinois State Government on this. They have been a witness as a proponent for an assault weapons / magazine ban at every committee hearing ever done on the subject.

Neo-Luddite
March 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
So does anyone know how the vote on the mag ban went today?

Jeff White
March 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
The house adjourned without calling it after we buried them in phone calls and emails:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=708239

Neo-Luddite
March 14, 2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the update and link; the insanity of this gets old.

SullyVols
March 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
The Illinois State Police planned the hiring of another 17 enforcement officers in one of the earlier fiscal notes, and testified before committee this year on the numbers, to do that very thing.

Make no mistake, the Illinois State Police is FIRMLY behind the Illinois State Government on this. They have been a witness as a proponent for an assault weapons / magazine ban at every committee hearing ever done on the subject.
I've seen people walking into the front door of my local range with a AR15 carbine in hand past cops taking a gun into the gunsmith and/or doing whatever.

Nothing happened - welcome to the South. (private property anyway)

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois Assault Weapons Ban Proposed - NO GRANDFATHERING" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!