Powder disposal

PDA

gfanikf
March 5, 2013, 01:39 PM
I have a small amount of powder, (50g-70g top) that I had to junk because I had a small amount of a different powder stuck in the hopper. Now I doubt any of the two mixed...but it's Unique and IMR-800X...not risking it. I live in an apartment, so I don't have a lawn per se, and when I have a small amount of powder (like a few flakes) I just wash it down the bathroom drain, but I have a feeling I shouldn't do that with a decent amount. So any tips? For the moment it sits in a plastic container with clear labels to not use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder disposal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
March 5, 2013, 01:56 PM
Toss it in the garden or yard. Great nitrate fertilizer.

(I use pulldown powder to fertilize the pepper plants I overwinter indoors)

gfanikf
March 5, 2013, 01:58 PM
Toss it in the garden or yard. Great nitrate fertilizer.

(I use pulldown powder to fertilize the pepper plants I overwinter indoors)
That's the thing I don't have a yard, but that said I can toss it in the back of a friends. He has dogs that run around in the back though and I just want to make sure (as remote as it seems) the dog doesn't sniff or lick any. However, I think I can put it in the far back.

How long does it take to breakdown?

oneounceload
March 5, 2013, 02:01 PM
Use it to start a nice charcoal bbq fire

rcmodel
March 5, 2013, 02:01 PM
70 grains of powder?
Living in an appartment, you have few options.

Stool, shower or sink drain, garbage can, or open a window and throw it out.

It isn't nitro, and it isn't going to hurt a thing if you dump it on the front step on the way to get the mail.

rc

gfanikf
March 5, 2013, 02:05 PM
70 grains of powder?
Living in an appartment, you have few options.

Stool, shower or sink drain, garbage can, or open a window and throw it out.

It isn't nitro, and it isn't going to hurt a thing if you dump it on the front step on the way to get the mail.

rc
Okay, I think I'll do the drain over time (wouldn't want to build up down the drain..if that's even possible). Seems easy enough.

MtnCreek
March 5, 2013, 02:05 PM

Ever see Shawshank Redemption? A little at a time and no one will get wise to you. :)

klcmschlesinger
March 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
Andy's favorite hobby was toting his wall out into the yard, one handful at a time....
Awesome reference, I love that movie.

rcmodel
March 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
wouldn't want to build up down the drain..Emmmm?

Just guessing, but I bet you drop way more then 70 grains down the stool pretty often!!

"Lord please forgive me and God bless the starving Pygmies in New Guinea" :o

rc

Reefinmike
March 5, 2013, 02:14 PM
Find a non flammable surface, fill up some rifle brass with SPENT primers, get a torch lighter, shut off the lights and watch the show! Or snake it out in a thin line, just don't burn too much at once or you'll set off the smoke detectors. Varget in a 6.8spc case is really cool, like a little hot pink jet engine

Otherwise, just dump the stuff down the toilet

gfanikf
March 5, 2013, 02:39 PM
Emmmm?

Just guessing, but I bet you drop way more then 70 grains down the stool pretty often!!

"Lord please forgive me and God bless the starving Pygmies in New Guinea" :o

rc
Not down the bathroom sink though! I mean some in College did that, but it was really a jerk think for the cleaning guy to have to deal with.

mdi
March 5, 2013, 02:51 PM
Don't overthink this, just flush it! Gunpowder, even the fastest burning won't catch fire by itself and if it did, it would be like lighting a match. It will only "explode" (actually just burn fast) in a confined space with some sort of ignition...

Trent
March 5, 2013, 03:01 PM
Don't overthink this, just flush it! Gunpowder, even the fastest burning won't catch fire by itself and if it did, it would be like lighting a match. It will only "explode" (actually just burn fast) in a confined space with some sort of ignition...

That only holds true to a certain volume. I had a batch of H1000 start to go bad (acidic smell), poured it in a big pile in the driveway, lit it, and proceeded to lose all the hair on my arm, parts of my eyebrows, my eyelashes, bangs, etc.

Even slow powder will go DAMN fast if there's enough of it!

(Or, if you're drunk and being stupid, "the bigger the pile the bigger the smile!")

EDIT: If what you're about to do starts out with "HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS!" ... stop immediately.

TenDriver
March 5, 2013, 03:50 PM
Home made firecrackers.... ;)

Certaindeaf
March 5, 2013, 04:13 PM
I think you need a special license to dispose of sixty whole grains of smokeless powder.. poetic license!

Hondo 60
March 5, 2013, 04:19 PM
If what you're about to do starts out with "HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS!" ... stop immediately.

LOL - now that right there's funny!
I don't care who you are. :D

I would NOT drop it where dogs roam.
No, I cannot site any specific reason, other than dogs are attracted to gun powder.
(atleast mine are)

Certaindeaf
March 5, 2013, 04:24 PM
Feh, it's OK unless you're smoking cigars.

sbrader
March 5, 2013, 04:40 PM
Is there any green space around the apartment building/complex? Just dump it there and let the grass enjoy it!

essayons21
March 5, 2013, 05:34 PM
I save up all my pulldown and screwup powder in a 1lb powder jar... clearly marked of course. I take it with me when I go camping to help start fires... but usually I just end up throwing it on the fire a little at a time to watch the light show :)

Jesse Heywood
March 5, 2013, 07:29 PM
If you have a propane grill put it in a paper sack and set it on the grill with the lid open. After dark for the best effect.

BeerSleeper
March 5, 2013, 09:06 PM
Pour it in a pile on a piece of cardboard, and light it with a match. It will not go BOOM. It will go poof. It will not even catch the cardboard on fire, it will just leave a brown stain where it used to be. You can even see the outline of the individual grains in the stain left behind.

KansasSasquatch
March 5, 2013, 09:25 PM
essayons21
I save up all my pulldown and screwup powder in a 1lb powder jar... clearly marked of course. I take it with me when I go camping to help start fires... but usually I just end up throwing it on the fire a little at a time to watch the light show

This would be my suggestion. Anytime I pulldown a round that I can't verify the powder, it goes into a jug marked as "Unknown Pulldown." Eventually you should be somewhere in which you can dump the whole thing and not have to worry about it.

chris in va
March 5, 2013, 09:53 PM
I put a little (5-10gr) in my friend's ashtray. Using a BBQ lighter for safety, it just flares up about 6" in height. It'll set off the CO2 detector so turn the fan on first.

rcmodel
March 5, 2013, 10:09 PM
That right there brought back a Bad Memory from my mis-spent childhood.

At the advance cartridge collector age of 8 or 9, I spent most of an hour after school setting in my dads easy chair.
Pulling all the bullets out of my meager cartridge collection with a pair of pliers.
Stuff like .45 Colt, 25-20 WCF, 38-40 WCF, and 45-70 loads I had scrounged up here and there.
And dumping all the black & smokeless powder in my dads big ashtray.

Unfortunately, I forgot to dump it out before dad came in from feeding cattle and setting down to watch the evening news.

Yep!
You guessed it!

He went to put out his Camel in his ashtray.
And it went all down hill from there.
For him, and me!!

He recovered nicely after growing new skin and hair on his hand.
And I was able to set down again after only a few days.

Also unfortunately, mom never was quite the same toward my harmless cartridge collection interest.
After I burnt dads hand all crispy, almost set her living room rug on fire, and stunk up the house for days with BP smoke and burning skin & hair!

It was real tense there at home for a while I tell Ya! :D

My advice is, Don't Do That with the ashtray thing!!
It ain't funny at all, if you use enough powder!

rc

BeerSleeper
March 5, 2013, 10:16 PM
What does it do if your friend drops ash on it? :what:

Certaindeaf
March 5, 2013, 10:36 PM
Oh that's the good stuff. I ran over my Dad when I was 3. I was three so sue me!

witchhunter
March 5, 2013, 11:43 PM
That ashtray story is classic! One time when I was a kid... never mind, I can't get rid of that visual.

BeerSleeper
March 6, 2013, 12:02 AM
The black powder is probably what made the ashtray scary.

I have burned a pile of smokeless the size of a golf ball, and found it not that exciting. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but it was shotgun powder (a spill that got swept up).

soloban
March 6, 2013, 12:04 AM
Andy's favorite hobby was toting his wall out into the yard, one handful at a time....
Awesome reference, I love that movie.

Anyone else read this in Morgan Freeman's voice? Haha

Trent
March 6, 2013, 12:14 AM
Oh man RC you just made my day with that story. :)

bobinoregon
March 6, 2013, 12:41 AM
70 grains isnt hardly enough to play with, get an empty container and mark it as mixed powder. When it's full come back and then ask for suggestions for fun ways to get rid of it. Or you can always just open the window and toss it out, nobody will ever notice.

boommer
March 6, 2013, 12:58 AM
I guess I'm the last good ol boy in the net that would knows how to have fun with mixed and pulled powder. My GOD!! Lets blow something up!!! THROW A LITTLE BP IN TOO!!

Trent
March 6, 2013, 01:10 AM
From the annals of my ill-spent youth..

Using the truck as a barrier to protect one's body sounded like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately it turns out trucks leak too. Finding this out when you are 60 miles away from civilization in the middle of nowhere.. makes on inventive. Of note, tree sap and bark wedges can make an field expedient way to patch a freshly-leaking radiator.

... I'll fill in the rest in my memoirs. There's bound to be a whole chapter devoted to oxy-acetylene.

;)

FROGO207
March 6, 2013, 08:48 AM
YEAH Oxy-Acelytene is FUN.:D You could make a pizza and put the powder on that as a seasoning. Then you have an excuse for shooting your mouth off.:D Ta-da.:evil:
Seriously the flush it down or use it for fertilizer is the best/safest of the answers so far IMHO.

JLDickmon
March 6, 2013, 08:59 AM
it will just leave a brown stain
shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... shut up, John... :evil:

MtnCreek
March 6, 2013, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it…) kids today can’t do the same kind of things most of us grew up doing. Mischievous acts that would have gotten me a switching and a talking to back then could have very bad and long lasting impacts on the kids of today. Strange that all the ‘bad’ things we did back when, but it seemed there was a lot less bad in the world…

jinxer3006
March 6, 2013, 02:00 PM
Between rc's story and the "shut up john" remark, this has to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read.

By the way, I have an old powder container (with the label removed) that I dump all of my misc powder in (spills, pull-downs from unknown sources, etc). When it gets full it will get to meet Mr. Fuse and Mr. Match.

gfanikf
March 6, 2013, 02:05 PM
I do like the idea of doing a burn test...but for legal and real estate reason I'll have to go with the flush option.

mdi
March 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
That only holds true to a certain volume. I had a batch of H1000 start to go bad (acidic smell), poured it in a big pile in the driveway, lit it, and proceeded to lose all the hair on my arm, parts of my eyebrows, my eyelashes, bangs, etc.

Even slow powder will go DAMN fast if there's enough of it!

(Or, if you're drunk and being stupid, "the bigger the pile the bigger the smile!")

EDIT: If what you're about to do starts out with "HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS!" ... stop immediately.
Are you telling me that if you dump even a pound of powder in the toilet and flush it, that there's a possibility of an explosion?????

Trent
March 7, 2013, 02:00 PM
No... I think I said I dumped it in the driveway and lit it on fire... :)

Now, pour a little water in to a 50 pound keg of powder, cover it, and sooner or later it'll spontaneously combust.

THIS is the part of your post I was responding to:

"even the fastest burning won't catch fire by itself and if it did, it would be like lighting a match. It will only "explode" (actually just burn fast) in a confined space with some sort of ignition"

If you light a pound or two of gunpowder on fire in the driveway, even SLOW powder, you simply can't get the hell out of the way fast enough.

It don't burn slow in big piles. It burns FAST - damn fast.

45_auto
March 7, 2013, 02:40 PM
I regularly burn several pounds at a time of unknown powder from handloads that other people give me. It always looks like this youtube video (powder burn starts at just after 40 seconds). It takes at least several seconds for the flame to propagate through the pile of powder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSPL2ufSck

As a sidenote, it amazes me how BAD (crooked bullets, seated to different depths, nasty crimps, no crimps, etc) many people's handloads look!

Trent
March 7, 2013, 08:17 PM
When I lost most of my arm hair, eyebrows, eye lashes, and bangs, I had poured between 2-3 pounds of H1000 in a pile and made a short shallow "trail" about 4" long, 1" wide and 1/2" wide leading to it.

I had time to start turning my head.. that was about it.

Keep in mind I was burning very old powder that had "turned" and was smelling very acidic, I can assume that the majority of the deterrent coating was gone.

It sure was interesting, and got some laughs out of the visitors I had over that 4th of July. :)

"WHERES THE HOSE WHERES THE HOSE DAMNIT MY SHIRT IS ON FIRE WHERES THE HOSE!"

The old "stop drop and roll" trick worked out OK. :)

THEN they hosed me down.

Teachu2
March 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
I had several pounds of powder on my reloading bench in my apartment's living room when the complex burned. Firemen said it was pretty hot for a few seconds, and they backed off as the rounds cooked off - but were in no real danger. The Captain thanked me for not storing it in a safe....

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:21 PM
I had several pounds of powder on my reloading bench in my apartment's living room when the complex burned. Firemen said it was pretty hot for a few seconds, and they backed off as the rounds cooked off - but were in no real danger. The Captain thanked me for not storing it in a safe....

Yeah I used to have a hell of a fear of how much ammo I have in the basement, and fire, until I saw that firefighter video from SAAMI posted up here. Now... meh. At least I know they won't be picking up pieces of my house a half mile away when it's all said and done. :)

(When we did fire drills I used to tell my kids "get out and KEEP GOING".. now, I just say "walk across the street and count each other..")

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder disposal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!