I need a spotting scope under $300

PDA

jcerillo70
March 5, 2013, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

In mid may i am doing a high power clinic, and it requires a spotting scope.

so i have some time but i wanted to get some recommendations before hand.

We have a 300 yard range so that would be the max distance.

So i need a spotting scope for that, which is my max of 300 yards.

im new to long range so any help is appreciated

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a spotting scope under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ol' dixie
March 6, 2013, 08:08 AM
The folks at Champion's Choice stock several brands, and they are extremely knowledgeable about High Power shooting.

www.champchoice.com/

wally247
March 6, 2013, 12:34 PM
Redfield might be a brand to check out. They are made by Luepold.

I helped my dad pick this one out a few weeks ago for $229 that's $60 less than MSRP from the local sporting goods store.

http://www.redfield.com/spottingscopes/

JRH6856
March 6, 2013, 01:21 PM
And then there is this one from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/20-60-x-60mm-spotting-scope-with-tripod-94555.html)...$49.99

JRH6856
March 6, 2013, 04:33 PM
By coincidence, the Harbor Freight spotting scope arrived shortly after I posted. The scope seems ok. Sharp, clear. holds focus through the 20-60 zoom range. If it isn't abused, it will probably do OK for the range. Not sure how long it would last in the field.

The tripod is crap. It's really too flimsy to hold the scope steady as the head is made of molded plastic and flexes too much. I'm not sure it is even suitable for a pocket camera. Fortunately, I have several good metal tripods.

Teachu2
March 6, 2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/tasco-20-60x60-world-class-ep-45-spotting-scope-wc20606045.html

http://compare.ebay.com/like/380537090545?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

$137 shipped, and I'm very happy with mine. The included tripod is fine for my pocket digital camera, Mini-Pro is very sturdy and compact.

JRH6856
March 6, 2013, 05:21 PM
The Tasco looks like a good deal. I'll keep it in mind if (when?) the HF one falls apart. :eek:

Teachu2
March 6, 2013, 05:48 PM
It's been a real bargain, and that ball-mount tripod is the berries. My wife's Dad has a Leupold, and it's hard to tell the difference - except in the price. Now HE wants one of the tripods....

JRH6856
March 6, 2013, 06:29 PM
You changed tripods (and total price).

SlamFire1
March 6, 2013, 08:13 PM
In my opinion you need a spotting scope that has an objective lense 65 mm and up. Common fixed power scopes are 20X to 25X. Long eye relief is a plus. The 45 degree eye piece is a must.

I purchased from Champion Shooters Supply this Celestron 18-55X 65mm Ultima 65 scope. I am pleased with the optics, have used it out to 1000 yards. It is at its best below 35X, very clear and bright. At higher magnifications the small front objective, compared to 100 mm objective lenses, images get dark. Not that 55X matters as you actually will see bullet holes and mirage better around 20-25X.

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=22&Itemid=111

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/DSCF2684Celestron18-55x65mmUltima65.jpg

longshot7.62x51
March 6, 2013, 08:31 PM
I picked up a beraska for 89 and its a 20-60 not too horrible considering the price

CharlieDeltaJuliet
March 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
The Konus Pro Green 7122 is a great spotting scope in that price range. I was throughly impressed with it after a hands on session.

BullfrogKen
March 6, 2013, 11:26 PM
I moved your thread to a more appropriate location.

If you're taking the clinic, wait until after the clinic. Lots of people show up to a local club's High Power clinic with nothing more than a rifle. The people running it don't expect you to own everything.

See what people there have and find out what you like - then go buy it.

Oh - if you decide you like High Power rifle, you better pick a scope capable of twice that distance. The full course field is 600 yards. And if you enjoy the sport, you'll do like many of us have and travel to a full course field for a match at some point.

So get a scope that will let you shoot a full course now. Otherwise you'll just have to go buy it later.

jcerillo70
March 6, 2013, 11:28 PM
What kind of rifles are generally used in these matches? Im going to use my 16" AR-15 but im sure theres better suited rifles?

BullfrogKen
March 6, 2013, 11:31 PM
In an AR? 20 inch barreled rifles with match sights, triggers, and lead weights under the handguards.

Just go show up with what you've got. Find out if you like it first. This is a very expensive sport.

jcerillo70
March 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
not necessarily ar... But what is the most common rifle used for these in general

BullfrogKen
March 6, 2013, 11:41 PM
Dude, you're in a whole new world.

That's like asking what make car people commonly race in NASCAR.

The CHEAPEST route is to shoot a match AR. And because it's the cheapest, its common. I'd say at my local High Power matches about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people there are competing with match ARs. But . . . That means everyone else is using something different. Some guys use match Winchester M-70s and Remington 40x's. Some spaceguns. Some tubeguns. And very few Tubb2000s.

Just show up at the clinic. They'll be happy you're there and try their best to make it enjoyable for you. Call the club/match director hosting it and explain your situation to them.

lakecitybrass
March 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
With an AR based platform, you don't have bedding issues and parts like match triggers can be had and installed by yourself. I know parts are scarce for AR's but I believe if you are just starting out, anything is hard to find. In my opinion, if you want to go bolt gun, the nice gun (if you can find one) is a Tikka T3. If not, a Remington M700 because there are many aftermarket parts for the Remington.

My last AR 15 service rifle was built by me this winter with a stainless 8 twist from John Scandale and it shoots very accurately. He used a Green Mountain blank. I have no clue what his stock is now, however. Parts are very hard to find, but I have stockpiled small parts for years. I was confident that I have enough to sell a match rifle upper for a low price yesterday in order to get my new match barrel for another spacegun project.

Like what was suggested, try to attend a high power match where you are if possible, and glean some information. Most all the high power guys I know are quite generous to new people.

John - Albany, Oregon

lakecitybrass
March 7, 2013, 12:45 PM
I saw this on Ebay just now and it is similar to my Eagle Optics scope. I can verify the quality of Eagle Optics. (at least my own) This only has the 45 mm lens so it may not be exactly what you want. Mine is much bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Optics-Denali-15-x-45x-zoom-angled-body-spotting-scope-and-case-/200903480820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec6c7d5f4

Teachu2
March 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
Yes - I grabbed the wrong one and had to revise (my wife has the other tripod under her camera). It is correct now.

LAL357
March 8, 2013, 07:55 AM
i use a konus 20x60x100 sptting scope cost is right at your 300.00 limit and i can see the 223 holes @ 300 when spotting for my son in f class matches i have use it out to 1000 yrds with no problem (@1000 i'm looking at mirage not little holes)

lakecitybrass
March 8, 2013, 12:55 PM
I agree the Konus has great optics I had one but I found it needed a lot of care toting it around during a match because the build quality isn't like a Kowa. Of course the Kowa costs alot more money.

You might check http://www.jarheadtop.com/ He has deals sometimes and he knows something about shooting. He sells the Konus.

Offfhand
March 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Check eBay for the original American made Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. spotting scopes. Sometimes you can pick up a good one for about $200. or even less and they are the optical equivalent to scopes costing over $1000. today. And there is also the satisfaction of owning a truly superior American made product. Sometimes you can also find original Al Freeland spotting scope stands on abay.

JRH6856
March 10, 2013, 02:42 PM
Check eBay for the original American made Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. spotting scopes. Sometimes you can pick up a good one for about $200. or even less and they are the optical equivalent to scopes costing over $1000. today. And there is also the satisfaction of owning a truly superior American made product. Sometimes you can also find original Al Freeland spotting scope stands on abay.
Current ebay listing for a Bausch & Lomb BALscope Sr. 60mm Telescope Spotting 20x (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-Lomb-BALscope-Sr-60mm-Telescope-Spotting-20x-/251239674046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7f0d30be)
Curent bid: $36.00

lakecitybrass
March 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
That is a decent scope, that is for sure. The only reason whay I personally would pass on it for high power shooting is it's straight eyepiece.

Pete D.
March 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
I have two of the Standard 12x50 spotting scopes from Champions Choice. Satisfied with both out to 300 yards. For the longer courses, their 77mm objective is a relatively inexpensive way to go.
About high power match shooting.......the least expensive way to go is to use an AR that meets the match standards for "Service Rifle" competition. Understand that, when you are on the line, there are basically two matches taking place at the same time...one is for Service Rifles (used to be mostly M14s and Garands, now mostly ARs). If a rifle does not meet the Service Rifle description, you can still use it but will be shooting in the "Match Rifle" competition....that's where those 40Xs and Tubb rifles show up. Iron sights only for both. A good set of Match Rifle irons costs more than I paid for my Colt HBar. Lots of bolt guns....very smooth...bolt gun shooters don't like to have to wait for the semiauto mechanism to function)
There is also an "Any Rifle" division in which any sights are allowed.
The NRA Highpower Rule Book is available online, downloadable and free. Google is your friend.
pete

Litlratt
March 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
I agree the Konus has great optics I had one but I found it needed a lot of care toting it around during a match because the build quality isn't like a Kowa. Of course the Kowa costs alot more money.

You might check http://www.jarheadtop.com/ He has deals sometimes and he knows something about shooting. He sells the Konus.
+1
The Konus scopes are very tough to beat in that price range.

Offfhand
March 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
Attached is a photo of a 1970's era American made Bausch & Lomb 15X-60X Balscope with 45 degree eyepiece. They occasionally sell on eBay for as little $300. if you're lucky enough to find one. I've seen well used ones sell for upwards of $1000. at swap nite at Camp Perry and well worth the money because of their superb optics. Savvy high power and smallbore shooters grab then every time they find one for sale. It's amazing to see how good they are even when compared to the most expensive imports like Zeiss and Swarovski. If you can buy one for under $400. you've got a steal. The one shown here is mounted in a Freeland bipod, making it a perfect rig for rifle competition at any range.

cacoltguy
March 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'd go with the Konus in that price range. Amongst the Highpower community these are becoming widely known as the best bang for your buck. It won't have the heavy duty build quality or quite as good optical clarity as a $1000+ Kowa, but it will get the job done for sure. I've been using the Konuspot 80 for my Highpower and F-Class matches (about $250) for about seven months now and have been pleased. The Konuspot 100 would be an even better option with its larger objective lens if you feel like going $30 over your budget. I bought mine from these guys:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/KONUSPOT-80_SPOTTING_SCOPE.html

ArchAngelCD
March 22, 2013, 07:12 AM
there are so many good spotting scopes out there but there aren't many that are clear enough to see very small holes in paper @300 yards.

I was amazed at how clear a fairly inexpensive scope did @200 yards, especially since it was only $129. The scope is a 20-60X60 Barska Blackhawk. The Blackhawk series is even more suited for seeing bullet holes than some of the more expensive scopes. For 300 yards I would up the lens size to 70mm or better yet, 80mm. They sell a Blackhawk 20-60X80 that has a list price of $299.99 and a street price that's probably lower.

The Barska Blackhawk (http://www.barska.com/Spotting_Scopes-Blackhawk_Spotters.html) line.
The Blackhawk 20-60X80 (http://www.barska.com/Blackhawk_Spotters-20-60x80_Blackhawk_Spotting_Scope_Angled.html) Scope.

I can only speak to the Blackhawk line of Barska scopes for sure but like I said, I can easily see 30 cal holes from my M1 Garand @200 yards with the 20-60X60 scope. (and I have old eyes) They are truly amazing for such a low price. It must be a mistake! lol

dc.fireman
April 18, 2013, 01:57 AM
I use the Konus-spot 20-60. At 25-30X, it's bright, and it comes with the angled eyepiece I find critical to prone shooting. I was able to purchase an older used Freeland bipod mount for the scope for around $100. Champion Shooters has them for anywhere from $140 - $175 depending on the options you want for HPR.

I'm with Ken though - see if other competitors have any advice for you, and learn from their mistakes before making one of your own. Competition rifle shooters are a pretty friendly bunch, and will offer up enough advice to make your head spin.

Speedgoat
April 20, 2013, 01:56 PM
For budget optics, I'm a true beliver of the Redfield brand. I have a Revolution 4-12x40 on my 300 WM and have nothing but good things to say about it. I also have a set of Rebel Binoculars in 10x42. Compared to my Dad's similar Sowarski's he got for $1200, my little pair of Redfields sure hold their own for $150. One of their spotting scopes is on my list of things to buy.

Savage99
May 14, 2013, 10:30 PM
I used a new Konus 20-60X80 angled spotting scope today.

I have had spotters for decades and have used a good Leupold Windriver 15-45-60 for quite a while and wanted one that had better resolution to see small bullet holes in the black at 200 yds.

The Konus does that. I can see better with it and it's easy to use.

I was concerned that the Konus 80mm would be too big or heavy but it's excellent. Now I am thinking the 100mm might have been ok also. I am keeping this Konus.

It cost only about $206 from Optics Planet. :)(#7120 Konuspot-80)

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-konus-konuspot-20-60x80mm-spotting-scope-7120-main.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a spotting scope under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!