FL gun show question

PDA

JimJD
March 12, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hi there,

If everything goes well for Me, I'm planning on the purhase of a shotgun at the next gun show when it comes to town.
I wanted to be clear on one thing though. This will be purchased from a dealer, not a private sale. Under FL law, will I be able to take ownership of said longarm the same day once they run a NICS check, or will I have to pick up the firearm at a local FFL transfer agent at a later date?
Thanks everyone!

If you enjoyed reading about "FL gun show question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
benEzra
March 12, 2004, 04:06 PM
If I remember correctly, Florida has a 3-day waiting period that applies to handguns only.

ceetee
March 12, 2004, 04:10 PM
It depends on where you live. Counties are allowed to have a waiting period on all guns if they choose. For example, down south here (Dade, Broward) we have a five day wait regardless of what you pick up, or whether you've purchased before.

Some counties, you can wrap it up and take it with you. Check with your local gunshop to see what laws your county has.

JimJD
March 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
Yup, there's the three day waiting period on handguns.
I'm just not sure about longarms though. I've heard that one does not have to wait the seventy-two hours, but I have not been able to confirm this yet.
Ceetee, I live in polk county. Yeah, I should ask around at a local shop or the range next time I'm out there. :D

Daedalus
March 12, 2004, 04:20 PM
In Alachua county I walk out with all my longarms the same day.

Hkmp5sd
March 12, 2004, 04:39 PM
790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.

(1) PREEMPTION.--Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void. This subsection shall not affect zoning ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited.

(2) LIMITED EXCEPTION; COUNTY WAITING-PERIOD ORDINANCES.--

(a) Any county may have the option to adopt a waiting-period ordinance requiring a waiting period of up to, but not to exceed, 3 working days between the purchase and delivery of a handgun. For purposes of this subsection, "purchase" means payment of deposit, payment in full, or notification of intent to purchase. Adoption of a waiting-period ordinance, by any county, shall require a majority vote of the county commission on votes on waiting-period ordinances. This exception is limited solely to individual counties and is limited to the provisions and restrictions contained in this subsection.

(b) Ordinances authorized by this subsection shall apply to all sales of handguns to individuals by a retail establishment except those sales to individuals exempted in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, "retail establishment" means a gun shop, sporting goods store, pawn shop, hardware store, department store, discount store, bait or tackle shop, or any other store or shop that offers handguns for walk-in retail sale but does not include gun collectors shows or exhibits, or gun shows.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC33.HTM&Title=->2003->Ch0790->Section%2033

JimJD
March 12, 2004, 04:46 PM
Well, that answers My question!
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Great find Hkmp5sd :D

dukeofurl
March 12, 2004, 10:24 PM
Jim - what area are you from? The dems seem to have taken over the entire state south of Palm Beach County.

ceetee
March 13, 2004, 12:12 AM
Okay, Hkmp5sd

I'll take your word for it. But try to get a gunshop in Broward County to let you take possession before your five business days are up...

Hkmp5sd
March 13, 2004, 10:27 AM
Not my word. Notice the link posted is the Florida Senate's .GOV site? That's straight out of the Florida Statutes. Besides, I have a CCW and therefore exempt from waiting periods, unless Broward County ignores that law also.

If you enjoyed reading about "FL gun show question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!