Black Powder .50 BMG

PDA

crazyjennyblack
March 6, 2013, 06:15 AM
Disclaimer: This thread is about something strange, silly, and possibly dangerous. Please don't take anything posted here as an actual recommendation to go and try this stuff.

Late night pizza and discussions yield strange ideas. I was chatting with a friend about reloading her .50 bmg in hard times, and she mentioned possibly trying cast lead bullets for practice. We started looking at molds online, and the thought occurred.... wouldn't it be hilarious to try the big .50 in black powder? Just imagine the flame and smoke!

So....

1. Has anyone been crazy enough to do this?
2. Would it be safe?
3. What kind of velocities and pressures might happen?

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Powder .50 BMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Driftwood Johnson
March 6, 2013, 08:53 AM
Howdy

Well, it would certainly be safe. You are not going to develop anywhere near the pressure with Black Powder in the 50BMG that you do with modern Smokeless.

woodnbow
March 6, 2013, 10:40 AM
Well you're aptly named! :D

I'm sure pressures would be OK if using FFG or equivalent. It'd be fun to do for sure. Any way you can video this for the folks at home? I'm picturing White smoke blowing out of the muzzle brake now. Hilarious good clean fun!:)

Acorn Mush
March 6, 2013, 01:58 PM
Well, it would certainly be safe. You are not going to develop anywhere near the pressure with Black Powder in the 50BMG that you do with modern Smokeless.

Agreed. Even if 3fg or Triple 7 were used there should be no danger of excessive pressure.

Interesting idea though.....:evil:

Busyhands94
March 6, 2013, 02:13 PM
What a cool idea that would be to try out. :) I've been pretty tempted to buy a .30-06 and try that, but not a .50 BMG! I think they make a Handi-rifle barrel in .500 S&W, that might be a fun one to load with Minnie balls and Goex! :D Of course it wouldn't be nearly as cool as a .50 BMG! That cloud of smoke would be the size of a freight train!

Cosmoline
March 6, 2013, 02:28 PM
IIRC surplus M2 barrels have been used for .50-70's in the past. So I think it can be done. Not sure what the bottleneck will do to performance, but if you're shooting in a .50 BMG rifle there's no danger of overpressure obviously.

mykeal
March 6, 2013, 04:54 PM
300 grains of powder and a 650 grain bullet - sounds like a typical muzzleloading slug gun to me. You can see these at Friendship every year. Not really anything to get your undies all wadded up over.

woodnbow
March 6, 2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah you're right but still I'd like to launch a half dozen clouds of white smoke out of a Barrett M82 rapid fire... Imagine the looks you'd get up and down the firing line?

1KPerDay
March 6, 2013, 06:25 PM
Agreed. Even if 3fg or Triple 7 were used there should be no danger of excessive pressure.

Interesting idea though.....:evil:
Dunno... holy black behaves differently from modern propellants.

tom e gun
March 6, 2013, 06:34 PM
What size do yall reckon an M2 barrel could be safely reamed out to? could make am interesting muzzleloader! :D

Smokin'Joe
March 6, 2013, 06:37 PM
You have a lady friend who shoots a .50 BMG? WOW, you girls know how to have fun. Any photos of you gals shooting would bre appreciated.

Jaymo
March 6, 2013, 06:48 PM
A .50 lead conical muzzle loader bullet and a case full of BP would be sweet.
I'd love to see the smoke coming out the muzzle brake on a Barrett.

Pulp
March 6, 2013, 10:53 PM
You mean like this:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/tmcdan6/BMG2_zps49562abe.jpg

I don't know who to credit with this photo, it is not mine. Someone posted it and three others on some forum long forgotten, and I saved them to my computer.

I believe the story said something like 300 grains of FFg and a 600 grain bullet, but that's just old memory, may or may not be true.

Hammerdown77
March 6, 2013, 10:57 PM
Whatever you do, make and sure and TAKE SOME VIDEO!

Then post it on YouTube.

Then post a link here :D

woodnbow
March 7, 2013, 01:56 PM
I mean exactly like that Pulp! Shooters on the left and right ought to get a kick out of it too!

BCRider
March 7, 2013, 07:53 PM
....Shooters on the left and right ought to get a kick out of it too!

Oh, I'm SURE they'll want to kick SOMETHING..... :D

Actually if they were told what is happening they'd all want to stop and watch.

raa-7
March 7, 2013, 08:24 PM
I would like to see that done,or shoot the big 50 myself just to see the fire and smoke! Also if you do decide to load some with bp, get the camcorder ready.I'm sure it would be plenty safe as far as pressures.

Trent
March 7, 2013, 08:39 PM

This forum has some interesting ideas.

I'm moving on before I catch my hair on fire..

:)

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:28 PM
Man... I went and watched a movie, came back on here, and thought about this some more.

I've GOT to do this.

You know.

For the Children.

(They'll love it!)

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:30 PM
OK how would one go about doing this?

Size a case, pop a #35 CCI arsenal primer in, fill it up with (how much?) (what type?) black powder, and seat a sized Lake City FMJ pulldown?

And you are SURE I'm not going to blow up my $5000+ rifle in the process or have to have my wife open my pickle jars for the rest of my life??

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:32 PM
And how do I clean it afterwards? Take the bolt out, shove the garden hose in the chamber, and let 'er rip?

The worlds most dangerous Assault Squirtgun!!!!

YumaKid
March 7, 2013, 11:52 PM
You would want to connect the garden hose to the blowdown/drain valve on your water heater.... HOT water is better for rinsing out the fouling. ;)

Trent
March 7, 2013, 11:54 PM
So FFFg would probably burn too fast, right? I should use FFg?

I don't want a 50 lb pipe bomb under my chin. My M95 is a bullpup!

GregP42
March 8, 2013, 12:13 AM
Trent,

I am not sure I would use a FMJ, I would want to use a lead bullet myself. I would think FFg Goex or 1 1/2 Fg Swiss would be the ticket to this madness! And please post pictures of it!

Greg

Texan Scott
March 8, 2013, 12:41 AM
Steel pipe/ funnel/ goex/ lead golf ball;
Duct tape/ blasting cap/ ballpeen hammer/ HOLD MY BEER.

Take pichurs, this'z gon'be GOOD. :neener:

Trent
March 8, 2013, 01:10 AM
What about primer? Those #35 arsenal primers pack a heck of a punch.

Should I make an insert and use a 209, or something smaller?

GregP42
March 8, 2013, 02:21 AM
Trent,

The regular primer should be fine, I use a LR Mag to set off my 45/70 loads with no issue. I have one friend that redid their brass and uses LP to set off his 45/110 loads.

Greg

crazyjennyblack
March 8, 2013, 07:00 AM
Well I guess I don't have to worry about pressures as long as we fill the case up, compress the powder, and use a cast lead bullet. I wonder what kind of velocity we can expect?

I don't think we'll be doing this soon... got too much work on my plate and its quite a drive to get to my friend's house. Might try to take a video if I can remember to bring my cam :p

Trent
March 8, 2013, 09:48 AM
GregP42;

These aresenal primers are enormous, bigger and much hotter than LR Magnum.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301713135/cci-50-bmg-primers-35

woodnbow
March 8, 2013, 10:41 AM
Jenny, what's your barrel length? I'd expect 1800 fps or a bit less with a 29" tube. It'll be fun to watch that's for sure...;)

ThorinNNY
March 8, 2013, 11:09 AM
Back in the day- 1700s they had their own version of the .50 BMG. They were called wall guns. Shot much further than ordinary muskets or even hunting rifles. Produced impressive clouds of smoke, punishing recoil, scared hell out of both those who shot them AND those who were shot at!
Jenny, I suspect you are going to lead us into the future of shooting in the USA by using modern hardware adapted to function with black powder,pure lead bullets and.... but can`t quite imagine how your`e going to incorporate a flint or percussion cap ignition system... but I have faith that if anyone can do it, you`ll be the one!:uhoh:

blaisenguns
March 8, 2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah you're right but still I'd like to launch a half dozen clouds of white smoke out of a Barrett M82 rapid fire... Imagine the looks you'd get up and down the firing line?

I think that a semi auto would hiccup after about two rounds, if the pressure was enough for it to cycle at all.

mykeal
March 8, 2013, 12:26 PM
ThorinNNY - you did see the comment about the slug guns at Friendship, didn't you. This is nothing new...

Busyhands94
March 8, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've always wondered how cool a .500 S&W would be with BP and Lee 360 grain Minnie balls. That would still be a helluva gun, but the recoil might be tamer with BP due to it pushing and not slamming into your palm when you shoot it.

blaisenguns
March 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
Why not just get an old 8 bore double rifle? :D

BHP FAN
March 9, 2013, 02:27 AM
I wonder if you should use gas checks?

crazyjennyblack
March 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
I think it would definitely be a good idea to use gas checks. and for the record, she has a bolt action rifle with a 34" barrel.

Our interest in this is for two reasons: first to make huge clouds of smoke for giggles, and second to see if we can't lower the cost of shooting and reloading her big gun in these hard times. She casts her own bullets, reloads just about everything, and is looking into making black powder. (and all this after she gets done with the house work, the kids and the critters).

woodnbow
March 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
Is she looking for male companionship???:evil:

Trent
March 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah I'm going to let you two girls take the point on this little experiment. Let me know how it works out, and... shoot some video. :)

crazyjennyblack
March 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
Sorry guys. She's happily married and I'm just not interested lol. There's plenty of women out there who like guns, you just have to look.

I guess we'll just have to load some, break out the chronograph and see what happens. I'd like to do it this spring before the weather gets hot, but I don't know how that will go. If I shoot some vids, I'll post them here. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Powder .50 BMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!