Here's an odd item--can anyone ID these?

PDA

biggyfries
March 6, 2013, 09:36 AM
I got a box of gun "stuff" that was my Dad's after he passed away. I see these are for a muzzle of a firearm (handgun?), and there gas ports on both, but they are new to me--maybe they're recoil brakes or some such? The smaller one says "Herter's pat. pend"--the bigger one says nothing anywhere. It may be a two-piece--hard to say.
To install, they both require 1/2" fine threads, the smaller one has a set screw, the larger one has nothing but threads. It was apparently hard to get off the gun--someone got on it with a pipe wrench. Nice.
So I looked around online to see what I could find, I got nothing.
Has anyone seen these before?

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's an odd item--can anyone ID these?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 6, 2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, both muzzle brakes from years ago.

Here is a Herters for sale.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/herters-standard-recoil-elminator-247817620

I don't know who made the other one.

rc

biggyfries
March 6, 2013, 01:47 PM
If you held both in your hands you'd guess they were both made by the same maker--the muzzle tips look identical. The larger outer cylinder may have been to limit the effects of the escaping gas.
Any other info, anyone?

dogrunner
March 6, 2013, 04:27 PM
I still have one of those. Right on Herters. Mine came with the screw on collar as illustrated. I had the muzzle of a .30 carb. threaded to fit the thing, but took the collar off. Good flash supressor, but insofar as a comp. goes it was not really noticeable. As I recall, the collar was supposed to function as a flash limiter as well.........dunno, didn't try it on my gun.

The main assembly has a set screw in the bottom, the flat portion at the front is meant to unscrew (presumably for cleaning). I was shooting a LOT of cast in the .30 C & full auto at that. Had a prob. with the set screw working loose as well as noticable leading....looked neat tho! Screw that collar off and you'll find an allen head set screw on the bottom.

biggyfries
March 8, 2013, 11:17 PM
It seems they are just old items of little value to anyone--I may just start a box of shooting oddities. I seem to have aquired several lately.

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's an odd item--can anyone ID these?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!