Pt1911?

PDA

bowhntr04
March 6, 2013, 12:56 PM
What's the word on these? Good bang for buck? Selling my Glock 23. Good gun but just don't enjoy shooting it. I was ruined shooting 9mm and had a chance to shoot a 1911 in 9mm at the gun club (not sure what model) and really liked it. What qualities do you look for in a 1911?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Pt1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Panzercat
March 6, 2013, 01:02 PM
I found 2 in stock for you. better hurry. This notification is void as of the moment i post it :)
Grabagun. (http://grabagun.com/handguns/semi-automatic/taurus-1911-45acp-5-8rd-sts.html)

BRE346
March 6, 2013, 01:02 PM
Yes, they have several improvements on the original design, improvements many owners often add to their brands. None come to mind however. I got mine cause it is so pretty and was pleasantly surprised to learn that it shoots very well, has a "perfect trigger" and shoots hollow-points just as well as ball.

Darkbob
March 6, 2013, 01:15 PM
I own a PT1911 and love it. It is my carry gun. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it so far, and the only issue I've encountered was due to one of the factory magazines. I switched to CMC mags and it has no issues with any of the various ammo I've tried.

WoodchuckAssassin
March 6, 2013, 01:52 PM
Slide-to-frame fit can tell me a lot about the quality of the weapon. I also like to give them a little shake to see how much noise they make.

The trigger is probably what's MOST important to me. A 1911 is pretty easy to work on/drop in parts, but if a company takes time on the trigger, I can trust that they took care with the rest of their product.

smalls
March 7, 2013, 03:03 PM
I've heard they are decent for the price, but the Taurus warranty and customer service would scare me away.

corruptone
March 7, 2013, 04:55 PM
I own a blued non-railed version and a stainless railed version. I own custom Colt's, STI Trojan, Springfields, etc and I purchased the first Taurus knowing that it was not likely going to be in the same realm as my other 1911's. As mentioned previously, you do get a significant amount of modern 1911 features for the money. Overall I was pleased enough with the first Taurus that I purchased the stainless one for my son to shoot. The blued model is far from stock now but that is because I felt that the base platform was worthy for me to customize. With a new trigger group and EGW angle-bore bushing, I'm shooting sub 3" groups at 25 yards from a rest. I've had two issues with the blued version and non with the stainless. One of the grip screw bushings backed out of the frame but that's just a drop of locktite and a screwdriver to fix. The other was that the plunger tube became loose. I have a plunger stacking tool so this was an easier repair for me as well. I've not had to use their warranty so I cannot comment on that.

Sauer Grapes
March 7, 2013, 07:32 PM
What's the word on these? Good bang for buck? Selling my Glock 23. Good gun but just don't enjoy shooting it. I was ruined shooting 9mm and had a chance to shoot a 1911 in 9mm at the gun club (not sure what model) and really liked it. What qualities do you look for in a 1911?

Thanks

I take it your thinking about a 9mm, 1911? I bought the PT1911SS 9mm when they first came out. It ran fine, just wasn't very accurate. Rattled like an old 39 Ford. The bushing fit was horrible and slide\frame fit was too loose. Barrel lock up wasn't worth a darn.
Rather than spend a bunch of money on it, I sold it at a deep discount.
Maybe I just got a really bad one. Maybe the newer ones are better. Then again, maybe their not.
You have to wonder why my 709 slim is such a good gun and that 1911 could have been so bad. Boggles the mind. :banghead:

jay bird id
March 7, 2013, 08:15 PM
I've replaced the barrel bushing and fps to egw, grips to Raasco -- I'd do this to any $700 1911. I needed to replace the extractor (to Caspian). Wilson 47d's and polished the feed ramp some.
She's a pretty sweet shooter.
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg532/jasonpitek/2012-12-04_15-45-59_563.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Pt1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!