How do you clean the powder dispenser between powders?

PDA

Armymutt
March 6, 2013, 01:12 PM
I haven't come across how to do this yet. How do you ensure that you get all of the powder out of the dispenser? How big of a deal is it if there are a few flakes of powder in it? I was thinking of using canned air to try to blast out as much as I can.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you clean the powder dispenser between powders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ole farmerbuck
March 6, 2013, 01:13 PM
I dump the powder measure in the can then work the linkage a few times over the can. Thats good enough.

jcwit
March 6, 2013, 01:14 PM
I dump the powder measure in the can then work the linkage a few times over the can. Thats good enough.

YUP!

LAH
March 6, 2013, 01:17 PM

+2+

buck460XVR
March 6, 2013, 01:34 PM

...............+3

Canuck-IL
March 6, 2013, 01:42 PM
Depends on the powder. After 30k rounds of Bullseye through the meter, I found a significant coating of residue. Enough that some short stick powders weren't flowing as smoothly as expected. A little elbow grease and some Hornady Cleaner/Dry Lube took care of it ... I also finish up with an anti-static dryer sheet.

BE is the only powder from among about a dozen that I've encountered that with - however, it's also the only one I've loaded that volume without a switch to another powder.
/Bryan

ATLDave
March 6, 2013, 01:47 PM
Dry q-tips when stuff is hanging around.

leadchucker
March 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
If you have powder remaining in a dispenser after you dump it and cycle a couple of times, you have a problem you should address.

Unless you're loading extremely small loads like 25 or 380 acp, or are loading hot to the ragged edge of sanity, a few granules of a different powder won't make much difference anyway.

beatledog7
March 6, 2013, 02:34 PM
Bullseye does tend to leave flakes in the hopper. I use a vacuum hose with a crevice tool to get it all out. Takes seconds since that dedicated vac is in the reloading room.

Never had my vac blow up yet.

PVD
March 6, 2013, 02:47 PM
I use one of those little throw away acid brushes to sweep out the last few bits but I don't obsess about it.

joecil
March 6, 2013, 03:19 PM
I use a air brush compressor that sits under my loading bench to blow it out then wipe it down with dryer sheets or a paper towel.

chris in va
March 6, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'm sure you could use a can of compressed air used for computers. I just work the action a few times to empty out the flakes.

tightgroup tiger
March 6, 2013, 03:55 PM
I stick a vacume crevice tool in mine also, smokeless powder isn't prone to static ignition.
The graphite on the inside I leave in there. I don't wipe mine out, they work better that way.

KeithET
March 6, 2013, 04:11 PM
dump the powder measure in the can then work the linkage a few times over the can. Thats good enough.

Worked for me for last 30+ years. If it aint broke don't try to fix it. :)

KeithET

Canuck-IL
March 6, 2013, 05:06 PM
Bullseye does tend to leave flakes in the hopper.

I wasn't referring to misc flakes in post 6 above ... the throat of the hopper and the meter cavity were coated with a very slightly tacky black film - only seen that with Bullseye. That was worth removing with a cleaning - OTOH, a stray kernel here'n'there isn't something to obsess about.

/B

243winxb
March 6, 2013, 05:31 PM
Ohaus powder measure-soft brush. Dillon with baffles , warm water.

Jesse Heywood
March 6, 2013, 06:01 PM
I put in the drain tube and tap the measure until powder quits coming out.

J2FLAN
March 6, 2013, 06:12 PM
"I dump the powder measure in the can then work the linkage a few times over the can. Thats good enough"

This ^ , and with Bullseye, for over 10yrs in my uniflow, nothing more, and everything still works like new.

Mr.Revolverguy
March 6, 2013, 07:37 PM
Dump Powder work the linkage over the can, then wipe the hopper with a dryer static cling sheet.

Hondo 60
March 6, 2013, 09:29 PM
ole farmerbuck said, "I dump the powder measure in the can then work the linkage a few times over the can. Thats good enough."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

holdencm9
March 6, 2013, 09:55 PM
Even better than a can of compressed air is a squeeze blower thing (technical term) used for cleaning camera lenses. You don't get quite as much air blast as a can of condensed air, but it never runs out!

This one even stands upright on your bench and looks like a rocket

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI

PhotoBiker
March 6, 2013, 09:58 PM
I seem to get a lot of flakes that stick to the plastic so I use [used] dryer sheets to get it out.

splattergun
March 6, 2013, 10:06 PM
works for me, too.
Also, to fight static cling, I keep a used dryer sheet in the container between sessions. Never have any left over flakes to worry about.

Ehtereon11B
March 6, 2013, 11:51 PM
I dump out the reservoir and work the linkage until powder stops coming out. Tapping the base each time to shake loose anything that doesn't want to come out on its own.

mikeadams
March 7, 2013, 01:06 PM
Wipe it out with a dryer sheet.

Mike

Kevin Rohrer
March 7, 2013, 07:22 PM
I do as Farmerbuck does, then use the Mark-1 Eyeball to make sure the tube is empty. No rocket science needed.

dragon813gt
March 7, 2013, 08:45 PM
Dump it, run it a few times to remove any residual, then take a small paint brush to it and dump one last time. I didn't think this was a question that had to be asked?

Brought to you by TapaTalk

hAkron
March 7, 2013, 09:49 PM
I'm going to give you more of an answer than what you asked for, but here goes...I initially buy powder in 1 lbs canisters. The powder that I decide I like then gets purchased in 8lbs jugs. I keep the 1 lbs canister from the initial purchase and I fill it from the 8 lbs jug. I never fill back into the 8lbs jug from the 1 lbs canister. If I ever accidentally dump the wrong powder into the wrong canister, I've only ruined at most 1/2lbs of two different powders.

Now I leave the powder in the measure between loadings and I leave the canister next to the press. If I switch powder, I put a plastic funnel into the 1lbs canister and dump the hopper into it. Then I tap the side to loosen up any stuck powder, work the action until powder stops coming out. Then I put the lid on the 1lbs canister and it goes back in the cabinet. Never more than one powder on the bench at a time unless its in a dedicated and labeled powder measure (like in my Dillon toolhead).

GLOOB
March 8, 2013, 04:48 AM
After emptying it, I work the handle up (on PPM this position is to charge the meter) and tap the neck of the dispenser with the tip of a screwdriver (a light but hard object). Then work the handle down (the position that dumps the charge) and I tap on the metering cylinder. I almost always get a few flakes to drop that wouldn't happen by tapping with a finger.

I've disassembled my meter several times. I know there's always a couple little flakes stuck in the corner of the metering cylinder at any given time. I don't stress out about it.

cfullgraf
March 8, 2013, 07:37 AM
If I ever accidentally dump the wrong powder into the wrong canister, I've only ruined at most 1/2lbs of two different powders.

I avoid the potential of pouring the wrong powder into the wrong canister by having my powder stored away from the reloading bench. The only powder canister on the reloading bench, and within reach, is the powder that is in the powder measure.

As far as cleaning the dispenser, I pour out the hopper, cycle the metering drum several times until powder stop flowing, with a long artist brush, I brush the powder stuck on hopper to the bottom and cycle the metering drum several more times.

With new powder measures, I store anti-static dryer sheets in the hopper when they are not in use. This helps with the static problem until the interior of the measure is coated with enough graphic from the powder.

Otto
March 8, 2013, 09:47 AM
I use a match.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you clean the powder dispenser between powders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!