How do you reload - Standing or Sitting

PDA

Mr.Revolverguy
March 6, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have been reloading for 18 years and have reloaded both ways, standing and sitting. What is your preference? I ask because I am getting ready to start another project of building another reloading bench.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you reload - Standing or Sitting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
March 6, 2013, 08:37 PM
little bit of both

dsm
March 6, 2013, 08:40 PM
I've been loading since 1990 and always stood. I've been meaning to get a high stool and try sitting.

ASCTLC
March 6, 2013, 08:41 PM
Didn't vote. Like NeuseRvrRat I'm a little of both. Could just about say 50/50.

Andy

James2
March 6, 2013, 08:44 PM
My bench is 30 inches above the floor. Same height as a standard dining room table. This works just right for me when sitting.

gahunter12
March 6, 2013, 09:24 PM
I stand while reloading. I have a bar stool that's the perfect height, but I prefer standing.

chris in va
March 6, 2013, 09:26 PM
Kinda weird reloading with a Hand Press standing up. :p

cfullgraf
March 6, 2013, 09:27 PM
Sitting.

Press is on a free standing floor stand at a comfortable height for me. I nestle the press up next to a table and sit in a straight back chair.

I started using the first press stand during a relocation where I moved ahead of the family and household goods. I liked the set up so i kept using it although I am on press stand gen 5. It has been handy for taking reloading along for entertainment on a couple TDY assignments I have had over the years.

P5 Guy
March 6, 2013, 09:30 PM
Depends on how sore my butt or feet are, so I'd have to both.

BYJO4
March 6, 2013, 09:35 PM
I've always done my reloading from the sitting position.

JSmith
March 6, 2013, 09:37 PM
Sitting. When I load I'm generally at it for a couple of hours - longer than I want to stand in one place for any length of time.

wankerjake
March 6, 2013, 09:37 PM
Standing.

Yarddog
March 6, 2013, 09:43 PM
I stand 90% of the time,, I might sit & hand prime my brass while watching the TV ; )
Y/D

taraquian
March 6, 2013, 09:45 PM
I'm on my feet all day for work, I honestly think I would not reload if I couldn't sit and relax. That said however when I replace my bench it will be barstool hieght like my cleaning bench, so I guess I would have the option

Mr.Revolverguy
March 6, 2013, 09:48 PM
taraquian,

Would that be about 30inches high then?

flgolfer29
March 6, 2013, 09:48 PM
I actually like to stand, however I now reload while sitting. Feet & ankles become bothersome after a bit..

joe

Mobuck
March 6, 2013, 09:49 PM
Sizing tough rifle cases = standing.
Most other tasks are done using a tall stool for support to ease stress on my old, creaky knees.

Boostedtwo
March 6, 2013, 09:50 PM
I reload standing, my bench is a little high to sit and reload, I need to get a bar stool so I can sit lol. I might be tempted to reload a little longer each session.

jmorris
March 6, 2013, 09:59 PM
If I don't have to stand I sit.

walnut1704
March 6, 2013, 10:00 PM
High stool

Hondo 60
March 6, 2013, 10:05 PM
Sittin - Nice comfy leather office chair & desk

bds
March 6, 2013, 10:12 PM
Sitting in a comfy office chair in the comfort of air conditioning/heating. I even have a heated Shiatsu massager to go on the chair for even more comfortable reloading. Makes 1000-2000+ reloading sessions more bearable. :D

Your home is your castle, enjoy it! Life is short - When will we live life if not now? ;)

http://www.homedics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/12/small_image/220x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/9/198200_hero.png

Jesse Heywood
March 6, 2013, 11:50 PM
I sit on my fat axx in a computer chair. One with lots of padding. The chair, that is.

gamestalker
March 7, 2013, 12:47 AM
I do it both ways. It just depends on what I'm doing. I prefer to stand when I'm resizing, but I usually sit for all the other related tasks.

GS

788Ham
March 7, 2013, 12:51 AM
I sit on a bar stool when I'm prepping/resizing the brass, easier to manipulate everything. Then when powder throwing, I have a padded chair, I sit lower to see the scale beam that way. Then stay sitting in the lower chair to insert bullets, can watch and make sure things are lined up right. I worked on my feet for 37 years, now that I'm retired, I've earned that right.

Fishslayer
March 7, 2013, 01:30 AM
I sit on a barstool that's tall enough that i can easily look down into a case in my LCT and make sure there is gray stuff in there... ;)

Nalgi
March 7, 2013, 01:36 AM
Ive been reloading since '76

I gotta sit down

I have my bench and chair height adjusted for ergonomic speed and comfort!

horsemen61
March 7, 2013, 01:36 AM
Sitting

Cleftwynd
March 7, 2013, 03:27 AM
Broken back, then surgery last August dictates wether I stand or sit, usually both as I can do neither for very long. So my bench is at 42" and I use a swivel bar stool with a back rest for when I need to sit.

Fire_Moose
March 7, 2013, 03:51 AM
Sitting on an office chair...on tile.

I have to hold on to the bench while resizing rifle brass to keep from rolling away....:screwy:

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

Havok7416
March 7, 2013, 04:48 AM
I stand when I'm at my press but I sit for sizing and priming (hand press).

KansasSasquatch
March 7, 2013, 05:26 AM
My first 2 benches where at bar stool height. Problem is I didn't have a comfortable bar stool. So I was constantly switching from an uncomfortable stool to standing (on bare concrete). I built my current bench in my climate controlled basement to get it out of my non climate controlled garage. Since I do construction for a living and 10 hour days aren't uncommon, when it i built it I made sure it would be at a good height for sitting in a comfortable office chair. I bought a good chair with enough support that loading for 4 hours straight doesn't bother me unless my arm gets tired from swinging a hammer at work and pulling the lever at the bench. But it's not so comfortable I start to fall asleep. Had to find a "Goldilocks" chair. If I could change it I'd make my bench 1" shorter or my chair 1" higher, but it works great how it is.

FROGO207
March 7, 2013, 07:23 AM
I stand when reloading for more control over the press/leverage and being able to work looking down with ease when checking things. Standing gives one a larger work area as you can reach in/over farther IMHO. Lucky I do not need to sit down but I think someday that will be a necessity. Odd that most advertisements/manuals I have seen show the press operator standing also. YMMV:D

buck460XVR
March 7, 2013, 09:45 AM
I sit. My bench is an old desk that I strengthened and extended the top into a L-shaped configuration. I then secured it to the wall. With a nice comfy swivel office chair, I can perform all actions and reach all components without gettin' up.

dap22
March 7, 2013, 10:33 AM
Started out sitting but found standing gives me a better vantage of what I'm doing. Some things like trimming I do sitting.

JJ-
March 7, 2013, 10:48 AM
I have a stool but never used it so I took it somewhere else. I stand always 100% of the time

jcwit
March 7, 2013, 10:52 AM
I'm 69, my legs barely support me in any fashion now, needless to say, I sit.

ATLDave
March 7, 2013, 10:54 AM
Sitting. My press is mounted on a couple of layers of plywood on top of an old and very heavy desk. Standing isn't really an option.

PVD
March 7, 2013, 10:55 AM
Both due to different bench configurations. I load my rifle and pistol cartridges in the house while sitting using a small removable bench at desk height. The room serves dual purposes, my hobby room and occasionally as a guest room. The shot shells are done standing out in my woodworking shop. I clamp the Mec reloader to my 36" high assembly table. Given my druthers and a permanent reloading set-up I would rather stand.

mgmorden
March 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
In general I always stand at the loading bench. When priming cases with a hand primer I'll go sit down for a while but I've never sat down at the press.

LeonCarr
March 7, 2013, 01:08 PM
I stand most of the time, I feel it helps with leverage when operating the press.

If I am doing something really tedious, like power trimming 2000 .223 cases, I sit.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Claude Clay
March 7, 2013, 01:14 PM
70% standing. the rest sitting on a bar type stool.

Certaindeaf
March 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
Sitting Lotus position. Instead of saying "ohm", I say "one hamburger, two hamburger.." with each stroke since each stroke saves me enough money to buy a hamburger.

luvit
March 7, 2013, 01:25 PM
Bench is 42" the same height as a pub table.
Stool is 30" the same height as a pub stool.
I stand to handload, but if i want to sit, everything is the same height. -- I'm 6ft tall.

BullRunBear
March 7, 2013, 01:37 PM
Almost always sitting. I like my face closer to the press and I'm too tall to do that standing. Walking is fine but with age and injuries it is hard to stand for a long time. I do stand when casting bullets but take periodic breaks to sit or walk around.

Jeff

9w1911
March 7, 2013, 01:42 PM
I stand 90% of the time.

Certaindeaf
March 7, 2013, 02:44 PM
I've started casting standing. I've recently been using the outrigger bean warmer on my grill.. pretty convenient. Just watch that you don't have over forty molten pounds cantilevered unless the other workstation outrigger isn't likewise weighted.

SlowFuse
March 7, 2013, 03:28 PM
42" tall bench, padded bar stool. That's the way its been lately. To begin with I had a regular height table and a folding chair. That didn't seem to work so well.

SSN Vet
March 7, 2013, 03:50 PM
tall adjustable draftsman's chair..... cross between a shop stool and and office chair.

Kevin Rohrer
March 7, 2013, 08:24 PM
I didn't vote as there was no third choice of doing both, which is what I do, depending on the duration of my loading session, and what operation I am performing.

TheCracker
March 7, 2013, 10:37 PM
I sit 100% of the time. I generally go on reloading marathons. Load 4-6 hours one day and not load any for 4-6 weeks

243winxb
March 7, 2013, 10:41 PM
Reload sitting. Cast bullets standing. Dont need any hot alloy in my lap.:eek:

hAkron
March 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
I used to sit, but my chair was bad. Once I put my Hornady LnL on a strong mount I was forced to stand, but I like it better anyway because I can look in on everything better than sitting.

ambidextrous1
March 7, 2013, 11:24 PM
I do all of my reloading while standing; it's easier to reach for things on the bench while standing.

I got in the habit of standing while lecturing, and when operating lathes, mills, grinders, etc. No one sits while doing those things. Some lab work is done while sitting, and some while standing.

When I get older, I may find the need to sit while reloading...;)

41wheelgun
March 7, 2013, 11:51 PM
Most of the time I'm standing and do have a stool to lean on, but if I build another bench, I'll build it with some leg room.

VaGunNut
March 8, 2013, 08:15 AM
I like to be aware of every move made in the reloading process. Sitting is too comfortable and makes me too relaxed to be 100% attentive to some of the more sensitive parts of reloading. Standing lets me know when I'm tired and should quit until another time.

PhotoBiker
March 8, 2013, 10:48 PM
Odd, I thought I posted a comment in here.

I sit most of the day at work.

My new loading workstation is 42" high, I plan to stand most of the time. I do have a barstool that I can sit on if I feel the need.

frankmako
March 8, 2013, 10:50 PM
i have to be in a good chair.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you reload - Standing or Sitting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!