New Casting

PDA

Hondo 60
March 7, 2013, 03:31 PM
Seeing I can't buy bullets, I decided to further this hobby and start casting my own.

Caliber = .32 H&R magnum
New to me, so I don't have a go-to load yet.

Which means 6,000 different variables :banghead:

Bullets = Lee TL314-90gr SWC.
Alox lubed as cast - no sizing.
2.7 gr Titegroup OAL 1.335

First 6 shots, 4 ok - 2 keyholed.

Fired 50 rd box - got a few more keyholers.
Little bit of leading, but I've seen worse in other calibers.
Shot off hand, accuracy is OK, but nothing spectacular.
I'm a touch shaky, so I'm not too worried about sub-MOA.
=========================================
For my next box, I'm gonna use the same data, but size them to .314" and see if that helps.

I don't want to change too many variables for fear I might not figure out why the keyholers.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Casting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grubbylabs
March 7, 2013, 03:59 PM
You should slug your barrel and then size according to that.

Certaindeaf
March 7, 2013, 04:10 PM
I don't know about any .32 business but I know that tumbling is bad (duh), you have to match your bullet and speed to your rifling spin to stabilize.. essentially. Just on a zen thing, I'd load those warmer and see, as long as it's safe.. that's up to you and your research to ascertain though.

USSR
March 7, 2013, 05:39 PM
You should slug your barrel and then size according to that.

Again, with revolvers it's the cylinder throats that you measure and size according to them, NOT the barrel.

Don

Walkalong
March 7, 2013, 06:44 PM
Yep, size them to fit the throats, then try some W-231.

GLOOB
March 8, 2013, 03:33 AM
If one or more of your chamber throats are smaller than the bore, you might never get good accuracy out of that revolver. So slugging the bore could be of use. But it is easier to slug the cylinders and see if some of them are too small. (Like maybe 2 of them, as per your first observation.)

I think you should be able to push a jacketed bullet through each cylinder throat without too much effort. I could be wrong. Been a long time since I tried anything like that.

Also, I recommend you pull a bullet and mic the base, to see if your cases are expanded properly. Also, of course, mic your bullets-as-dropped to make sure they're in spec. Also, quite easy to do, is to mark your chambers and take notice to see if some of them are consistently accurate/inaccurate.

Proper bullet to bore sizing is the key*, but if you're shooting unsized bullets, it's more likely that your cases or your cylinder are making your bullets too small, than it is that your bore is grossly out of spec.

*And by that, I mean that the bullet must be larger than the bore. I don't buy into slugging a bore and then sizing 1 thou over. As long as the bullet is bigger than the bore and it chambers, easily, you don't really care if it's 1 mic or 3.

Hondo 60
March 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
One variable at a time.

Probably doin this backwards, but I'm sizing the boolits to .314 first.
Just cuz I already have the sizing kit.
If that doesn't do it, then I'll slug the chambers.

(and probably find that I have the wrong sizer) :(

GLOOB
March 8, 2013, 05:29 PM
Fine and all, but if you were to believe anything I said, sizing your bullets smaller will not make any difference in any case, whatsoever. Bullet that are too big for the bore don't tumble, even if they're slightly non-concentric.

The ONLY problem that sizing your bullets smaller will fix is if your cartridges are too fat to fit in the chamber.

So you will be wasting a range trip. :)

I can already tell you, they will shoot exactly the same as before.

Barring the bore being oversize, your bullets are getting smaller somewhere along the line. First place that can happen in the case, while seating. Easily checked by pulling a bullet and putting calipers on the base. Next place your bullet can get smaller is the cylinder throats. Melt down some fishing weights and make a few bullets. Size 'em. Then push them through the cylinder throats. The third place you can get a problem is the forcing cone, if your gun isn't locking up square. You'll see lead buildup on one side of the forcing cone. Next place on a revo is a constriction in the bore where the barrel is screwed into the frame. You can find out by pushing a tight patch through the bore. There are a lot of troubleshooting steps you can do besides slugging the bore, and they're all pretty easy. Sizing your bullets smaller is not one of them.

Walkalong
March 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
Sizing your bullets smaller is not one of them.Agreed. :)

788Ham
March 9, 2013, 12:14 AM
If key holing, bullets are too small in diameter.

Walkalong
March 9, 2013, 09:25 AM
Assuming the twist rate is OK, and it surely is, not enough velocity (not enough spin imparted to the bullet) will cause tumbling.

Lead bullets skidding will cause tumbling. (Little to no spin.)

If you enjoyed reading about "New Casting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!