Took the new 3.8 XDM to the range tonight

PDA

mnhntr
March 7, 2013, 09:37 PM
Bought an XDM 3.8 in .45 acp. It ran awesome until I loaded the mags with plated 200gr SWC. The wife and I ran 150rds through it and it ran great with JHP and plated RN. I had 5 FTF with the SWC due to them hanging on the top of the chamber. I guess the feed angle is too steep for them? Overall I love the pistol and it is very easy to shoot. The wife liked it, and shot very well with it. The pistol is accurate and the 13rd mag is better to shoot with due to the length over the 9 round. I ordered a Pierce extension for the 9round but it is not here yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Took the new 3.8 XDM to the range tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plan2Live
March 7, 2013, 10:03 PM
My 3.8 Compact in .40 eats everything I feed it and all of the .40 fmj I have seen has a flat nose. I volunteer at a public range and have seen several 3.8s in .45 and so far all have performed flawlessly. I'll watch for someone shooting SWC and take note if they have failures. If they do, it'll be the first failure I've seen on an XDm.

I saw a guy lock up his XD 4.5 in .45 and the slide wouldn't budge but that was soley due to his handloads.

mnhntr
March 7, 2013, 10:23 PM
This was not the loads. It chambered them after removing and placing them back in the mag. It was hanging them right on the lip of the SWC on the top of the chamber.

Kiln
March 8, 2013, 04:05 AM
That is an odd issue.

I've got two Springfield XDM's.

One has had totally flawless performance in over 2k rounds and the other has had 4 jams in over 5k rounds and all were within the first 500 rounds, since then it has been perfect.

Maybe it is something that will get better after a break in? Sometimes guns are just picky with certain ammo types or bullet profiles. If it works great with everything else I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Snowdog
March 8, 2013, 07:17 AM
Maybe try a swc with a harder brinell? I had some issues with plated swc a while ago and noticed the lead was about dead soft under the thin plating. The same pistol had no issues with hardcast or swaged (of at least a brinell of 12). I guess instead of the cartridge "bouncing" off the roof of the chamber, it was just smashing to a stop.

mnhntr
March 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
I am just going to stick with some MBC 200gr RN. They RN feed great and they are cheap enough for IDPA use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Took the new 3.8 XDM to the range tonight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!