Started my 30-30 loads.

PDA

tcanthonyii
March 9, 2013, 02:55 AM
Been gone for work the past two weeks so finally getting to do some loading again. Started out with my first loads for my 30-30. I'm using Sierra 150 grain flat point jacketed rounds and Hornady Lever powder. Doing all of this on my Lee turret with Lee dies. I am also attempting to use the auto disk with a double disk and a rifle charging die. Here's where I have question.

Starting load is 35 grains. Using the 1.26 and 1.02 holes I'm getting 35.4 grains. So I'm using that to start. Max is 38.5 so I have plenty of wiggle room. I was weighing every charge. I just started with 5 rounds. What I was finding out after going through all 4 stations the weight was coming out as high as 35.8 grains. That amounts to a .4 grain difference. Lever powder is a fine flattened ball powder near as I can tell and I'm assuming it's getting packed in. That's fine I can adjust but how much over or under should I be worried about. .4 amounts to a 1.4% difference. I know I'm going to have to adjust the disks for the packing thing but want to know what % difference I should be worried about in effect to accuracy etc. I've been loading pistol for several months and got used to to every charge being DEAD on using TightGroup and the autodisk. Same with Stick powder (imr 4350) in my Lee perfect powder measure for my friends 300 win mag.

Maybe I'm over thinking this??

If you enjoyed reading about "Started my 30-30 loads." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
March 9, 2013, 02:21 PM
If you are working with "start" loads, I wouldn't be too concerned about .4 grains over. I don't like the disparity however I understand when you throw powder sometimes you sacrifice consistency for speed. I would probably be more concerned about charge weight if loading near or at the max or if I were working up loads for precision. I don't think as much as .3 grains would affect the precision of a group shot.

witchhunter
March 9, 2013, 10:27 PM
In just duplicate the factory velocity. I know that powder might get you a little more than say, Winchester 748 velocity, but I wouldn't try to get too crazy, especially with a 94 action. Just my opinion, but I have been happy with factory velocity (2300 + or -) in mine for many years. That is what the gun and most flat point bullets were designed for. A Marlin might like more, I don't know. Again, just my opinion.

tcanthonyii
March 9, 2013, 10:53 PM
This is for a 336. I bought the powder because it was available. And Hornady is a local company. Why not give it a try. I do have 748 as well though. I've got 150's and 170's so I'm working up loads for all the above. More so than anything I'm enjoying reloading and like the experimentation of it. That's got more to do with it than anything. Before I"m done I wouldn't be surprised if i have another 5 lbs of barely used powder.

James2
March 9, 2013, 11:26 PM
I am also attempting to use the auto disk with a double disk and a rifle charging die. Here's where I have question.

The operation of any powder drop needs to be consistent. Move the handle at the same speed each time and use the knocker the same way each time. Even when we do the best we can, there will be some differences. I would not worry about .3 gr on a 30-30 round. It is a small percentage of the total.

ArchAngelCD
March 9, 2013, 11:41 PM
James2, There is no knocker on a Lee Auto-Disk.

OP: You said you're using the double disk kit to throw the powder, are you sure you have the disks in the correct stacking order? You should have the larger disk opening on the bottom and the smaller disk opening on the top of the stack. If the smaller disk is on the bottom the powder can sit on the lower disk like a shelf and your charge weights can be all over the place.

If you are using the disks in the proper stack order you will achieve more consistent throw weights if you tap the side of the powder measure even though there is no knocker. (James2 is on the right track) Also, like mentioned above, try to do everything the same each time. That will help keep the numbers correct. I use an Auto-Disk and I have the double-disk kit and it's extremely accurate once you get all the kinks ironed out.

tcanthonyii
March 10, 2013, 12:31 PM
archangelcd -- I am using the the disks stacked properly. Looks like I guessed right!! The problem after I thought more about this last night is that stacking them this way will leave a little void in the bottom disk until the measure is taped or rattled or spun around the turret. Makes sense why I was getting the charge differences from not spinning it to spinning it. I think I can setup and get pretty accurate now. I just need to spin the turret between each check weight I was kind of thinking that anyway but wasn't wrapping my head around it until last night.

I did pick up some hornady 170's last night so now I have 2 bullet weights to play with and a ton of snow and blizzard crap so no shooting today.....

Thanks for the help guys!

witchhunter
March 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
TC, Winchester lists 34.5 of 748 behind their 150 flat point. I think this duplicates a factory load. 2300 fps. Use it as a baseline, then try the other powders if you are trying for accuracy or velocity. Oh, and you will end up with several powders that don't work as well, I have a shelf full!!! But anytime you start a new caliber, you will have a selection to try. When I drag home a new gun, all I usually have to buy is some brass to get started.

tcanthonyii
March 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks witchhunter. I hadn't really given much thought to duplicating a factory load. I'll give that shot.

T.C.

blarby
March 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
You are on the right path.

my 336 liked the 150's much better than the 170's, and at mild loads to boot.

I tried it at afterburner speeds....and it choked.

Make sure your brass is all the same length by gauge, crimp firmly but evenly and most importantly UNIFORMLY BETWEEN ROUNDS, and your .30-30 experience will be a good one.

Crimping uniformly was the big key for shot-to-shot accuracy for me.

tcanthonyii
March 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm using a lee FCD. That should get me as uniformly crimped as anything.
I trimmed all brass using a lee case trimmer.

Interestingly I had 20 Remington and 20 federal brass. All new and fired by me out of this gun. It's a new remlin 336. Anyway the every remington case needed trimmed. Only about every other federal needed trimmed and very little trimming at that. Both were 150 grain bullets.

FWIW I don't really care much about the overal speed of the bullet as much as I care about accuracy. If i loose a few hundred feet per second off of max but I'm way more accurate I'll take the accurate load every time.

James2
March 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
I just need to spin the turret between each check weight I was kind of thinking that anyway but wasn't wrapping my head around it until last night.

Any vibration of the tool while in the fill position will give you a heavier load, It just makes the powder settle in a little denser. Ok, no knocker on yours, but vibration coming from spinning the turret will make a difference. Play with it a bit and you will figure it out.

tcanthonyii
March 11, 2013, 12:56 AM
OK spent some time back in the reloading room tonight. I did what I should have the other night, I was just too tired I think. Before weighing each charge I spun the turret through all 4 stations with the lever then weighed the powder. Doing this I was getting +-.1gr. More than acceptable. This was with Hornady Lever powder. I found 3 good charge weights that were about a 1 grain apart. I made up 5 rounds at each charge weight. I then switched to Win 748. This powder metered even better and I threw a couple charges +-.1 but was more consistent. I found 4 good charge weights with the double disk that were about 1 grain apart and loaded up 5 of each. That made for 35 loaded rounds. I need more brass!! I only have 17 cases left. Not enough to also do development on my Hornady 170's. Oh well. More shooting on another day.

I don't have a Chrony yet but a friend of mine who bought dies to use on my press wants one to check his 300 win mag so I may actually get to chrony some of my loads for once.

Thanks again for the help guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Started my 30-30 loads." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!