Initial ultrasonic cleaning impressions

PDA

osteodoc08
March 9, 2013, 02:48 AM
I bought a Lyman UltraSonic Cleaner the other day after seeing my father use it on some stuff around the gun room like crusted up reloading items, brass etc.

My test subject was a S&W M&P 40c that I recently put 300 rounds of handloaded 180gr lead rounds through over the weekend. Needless to say it was quite filthy.

I filled the tank up with water and Lyman's Steel Cleaner at a 20:1 ratio. I field stripped the gun and placed the slide, barrel and recoil spring in the tank. I ran it through 2 8 minute cycles.

When I first started it, it was amazing to see the crud come out of the slide crevices. The cleaning solution went from a clear blue color to a greyish blue color when it was done.

I rinsed the parts under hot water and blew them out with compressed air. I then placed them in the oven at 170* to get rid of all the moisture.

I took it out and placed MilPro Oil all over it and reassembled. Function checked and headed to work.

To me it felt like the action was much smoother, probably from getting all the crud out of the recoil spring assembly and a general cleaning.

Things I noted was the yellowish paint on the end of the recoil sping was gone. I had wiped/cleaned it down several times before and it always remained, but it was like it was stripped right off. Cool. I also noticed when I wiped down the slide and barrel with oil for final assembly, there was never a hint of dirt or disoloration on the cleaning cloth and patch. Even when I usually cleaned there was a little evidence of grit/ dirt I missed during final wipe down and reassembly left on the patch/rag.

I dont think I would attempt this WITHOUT having a source of compressed air.

I wonder what would happen to a polymer frame? I know you cant use porous metals such as non-anodized aluminum.

I think I might try this on some old tools in the garage to get all the grease and grime off of them. Anyone ever use it on spark plugs? Any other bits of advise? How long can you use "dirty" cleaning solution until it no longer works?

If you enjoyed reading about "Initial ultrasonic cleaning impressions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Centurian22
March 9, 2013, 03:25 AM
Wait until you use it on brass! At least I know I was amazed. Thanks for the tip about handguns, might have to make that my next use of my US cleaner.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=692818

osteodoc08
March 9, 2013, 03:48 AM
Forgot to mention ALL the oil was stripped so I made sure it was well bathed in oil before putting it back together. But it was the cleanest I have ever seen a slide with 1k+ rounds down range.

The extractor and firing pin area held water as did the sights. Compressed air made quick work of that. It was essentially dry before going in the oven, but just wanted to be sure all the water was out/gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Initial ultrasonic cleaning impressions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!