Best trigger for the follow up shots.

PDA

el Godfather
March 9, 2013, 06:50 AM
Dear THR:
Please pick the pistol from the ones listed that has the best trigger for the follow up shot.

Explain your choice if you may and also tell us if you have experience with the ones you did not vote for.

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Best trigger for the follow up shots." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
March 9, 2013, 07:32 AM
1) M1911
2) SIG SRT
3) Glock

I have pistols with all three different trigger designs and for me the M1911 trigger is the best for all subsequent follow-up shots. The SIG ranks very closely in second place while the Glock runs a distant third. To me the M1911 trigger (properly tuned), is just that little bit smoother, cleaner, and consistently crisp and even than the SIG SRT, and so much better than any Glock trigger that I have ever encountered.

jon86
March 9, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't have any experience with the SIG srt.

The 1911 trigger is the best trigger for me for accurate follow up shots.

A good double action revolver is really good too.

I like glocks, but not for their triggers.

JDGray
March 9, 2013, 08:37 AM
They all will work for you, pick one and practice:) I can double tap my Kahr CW9, just as well as my Glocks, CZs, 1911s....

wanderinwalker
March 9, 2013, 09:07 AM
They all will work for you, pick one and practice:) I can double tap my Kahr CW9, just as well as my Glocks, CZs, 1911s....
+1. Just pick one and go practice with it until the gun is hot, your hands are covered in soot and you're knee deep in spent brass.

To me good sights are more important than having the best possible trigger. I'd honestly say if the choice is between a Glock with good sights or a 1911 trigger with the old GI sights, gimme the Glock any day.

Ankeny
March 9, 2013, 10:55 AM
If you are just asking about the raw speed of splits, the weight of the trigger pull, as well as the distance in and out, are primary considerations. I chose a 1911 trigger because I can routinely bust splits in the .12-.13 range with a good 1911. Double action revolvers go up to .18-.20, "safe actions like a Glock, M&P, XDm, etc. clock in around the middle teens. Having said all of that, as an IPSC shooter I can tell you it isn't always about splits if you can't hit the target. :D

I have not shot the SRT, but I did have a Kahr CW9 that I carried for a couple of years. I got rid of the Kahr because of issues (trigger) I had shooting the gun at any kind of real speed.

WCraven
March 9, 2013, 11:39 AM
I disagree about the Kahr CW9.. I could never shoot my 1911's this good free handed at 50 feet.. this was the first time i ever shot the gun and my die-hard Glock til death brother in-law also love the gun. no fellow up needed!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/crazycrave/011-4.jpg

bds
March 9, 2013, 02:11 PM
Follow up shots like in double tap?

Here's Dave Sevigny with Glock at 2008 Double Tap Championship

3kBjPgw6izI

bds
March 9, 2013, 02:19 PM
Of course, we can't leave out Travis Tomasie on 1911

9q1XC8k-tZc

Hangingrock
March 9, 2013, 02:57 PM
Plowing thru Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip 2 (1142 pages) authored by Jeff Cooper I came across a snippet of information. A noted law enforcement weapons instructor told Cooper that at 10 yards and under the trigger system of the Glock was of no negative consequence in comparison to the single action 1911 in placing hits. Copper didn’t argue the point except that the 1911 at longer distances was better for placing hits.

bds
March 10, 2013, 10:20 AM
best trigger for the follow up shot ... tell us if you have experience
I have shot matches with both 1911 and Glock and while 1911 has the potential for cleaner/lighter "factory" single action trigger than semi-cocked DA Glock trigger, my ability to perform follow up shot or double tap depended heavily on the recoil generated from the ammunition I used.

For typical factory FMJ/JHP ammunition, I found the recoil pulse to be better "tamed" on Glocks and allow me to get back on target easier but that's me. YMMV.

Watch Dave Sevigny shooting Glock in the video of post #8 and see what you think.

Pukindog12
March 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
Walther P99 AS / PPQ.

mrvco
March 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have all three and as they ship from the factory, I vote for the Sig SRT. There is a certain "double-tap" momentum to the SRT that I don't get with the others. I'd expect that a raced up 1911 trigger or a 2.5# competition Glock trigger would be a better comparison to the SRT.

ExTank
March 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
"Other." Walther P99AS/PPQ.

RBid
March 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
I voted 1911, despite being a 'Walther guy' who carries Glocks.

In practical application, the difference is so small as to be zero, unless you are among the truly elite in the shooting world. The Walther 1/10" reset is nothing to sneeze at, either. When you shoot off the reset, it sounds nearly auto.

Ankeny
March 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
In practical application, the difference is so small as to be zero, unless you are among the truly elite in the shooting world. I don't know that monster splits even mean that much among the truly elite. Watch the videos and pay attention to the cadence. The shots are 1,2,3,4,5,6 not 1,2...3,4...5,6. Having transitions that match the splits is where those folks make the pistol rock.

alienbogey
March 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
In my experience:

Best trigger: 1911

Great trigger + best for follow up shots: HK P7 (Best striker-fired trigger combined with low bore axis/great ergonomics)

Poor trigger/crap ergonomics: Glock

I have no experience with the Sig.

YMMV

Inebriated
March 11, 2013, 10:44 PM
Follow-up shots only happen when you see your front sight again. That is the biggest limiting factor, in my experience. I can make a 1911 shoot faster than a Glock or SIG, no doubt. But when I'm shooting for speed AND accuracy, and am waiting on that front sight to come back onto the target, then it'll all come down to how I handle that particular firearm's recoil impulse. And for me, a Glock is what works best.

jim243
March 12, 2013, 12:55 AM
Best trigger for the follow up shots.

The trigger is just one part of a follow up shot. Sight radius, lock up timing, reset timing, front sight size and color, grip size and hand size, caliber used, All are factors in getting good follow up shots.

There is no one best, it will vary from shooter to shooter. But the one I like will be found on the PT-92 or 92FS.

Short reset times, long 5 inch barrel with better sight radius, Short lock up times, 9mm recoil and heavier gun easier to control. So far my best is 31 shots in 38 seconds with 2 magazine combat changes and no points down (means no misses) We were linited to 10 rounds per mag and one in the chamber, if I could have used the full mag of 17 rounds, it would have been 34 rounds in less than 30 seconds with no points down.

Jim

marv
March 12, 2013, 01:59 AM
I voted 'other'. Other = Ruger P95DC. DA like a tuned S&W revo and a nice light SA followupl

Bovice
March 12, 2013, 03:16 AM
Hi-Point C9.

hentown
March 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
Just about any Glock would have a far superior capacity for follow-up shots over ANY 1911, after about 8 shots in a 10-shot gunfight. ;)

billymarr
March 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Witness

Ankeny
March 12, 2013, 02:43 PM
Just about any Glock would have a far superior capacity for follow-up shots over ANY 1911, after about 8 shots in a 10-shot gunfight. Yup, but then again we could talk about the 2011 and have a better trigger than a Glock and more bullets. :D

psyopspec
March 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
If any of them didn't work, they wouldn't hold the market share that they do among competitors and defense-minded folks. The answer is "the one you practice with."

Godsgunman
March 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
I voted "other". My vote is for the Bersa UC 9 trigger. The only one from the list I've shot is the Glock which is easy enough but the Bersa trigger is so smooth and light there really is no comparison. You can double tap before your mind realized you did, its so nice. The closest to the Bersa would be CZ that I have shot.

Girodin
March 13, 2013, 01:24 AM
Just about any Glock would have a far superior capacity for follow-up shots over ANY 1911, after about 8 shots in a 10-shot gunfight.

I know the above was supposed to be clever, but it fails to account for a number of things. There are multiple glocks that do not hold more than 10 rounds. Most "in the know" people, and these are guys that like glocks, such as Larry Vickers will tell you to down load your glock mag by one. Any .45 ACP 1911 can have an 8 or even 10 round mag put in it. There are double stack 1911s and even 9x19 double stack ones with even more capacity. In sum, you need to change "just about any" to "certain glocks" and "ANY 1911" to "some 1911s with some magazines."

Bovice
March 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'd like to change my vote to lorcin .25 ACP.

bill3424
March 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
I'll go with 1911. They seem to well for me compared to what I've used in the past.

Teachu2
March 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
It is the trigger you train the most with. I carried 1911s for many years, and shot over 30k rounds through them. I was sure they were best. Then I started shooting Glocks, and decided to carry one. I train almost exclusively with them now, and so they are currently MY best.

The person who trains hard with the worst trigger will fare better than the one with a custom 1911 that they don't train with.

Robbins290
March 13, 2013, 06:52 PM
With a 45, who needs a fallow up shot anyways? Specially from a 1911. By the time you have acquired your next target, your muzzle with be down from the previous shot

Rinspeed
March 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
I used to think I knew what a really good trigger pull felt like until I bought my Sig X-5 L1. ;)

Sauer Grapes
March 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
+1. Just pick one and go practice with it until the gun is hot, your hands are covered in soot and you're knee deep in spent brass.

To me good sights are more important than having the best possible trigger. I'd honestly say if the choice is between a Glock with good sights or a 1911 trigger with the old GI sights, gimme the Glock any day.
This pretty much sums it up for me.

hk-sigman
March 14, 2013, 06:52 PM
1. 1911
2. Browning HiPower
3. Walther PPQ
4. Glock, S&W M&P, Walther P99

If you enjoyed reading about "Best trigger for the follow up shots." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!