Remington 1858 Cylinder Pin

PDA

rodwha
March 9, 2013, 11:21 AM
I would like an 1858 with an even shorter barrel than the 5.5" Sheriff's model, but I want the cylinder pin to come out for thorough cleaning.

I've seen somewhere how a guy had recessed the frame so that the triangular part of the pin fit into the frame, obviously shortening the pin a bit. I cannot seem to find it though.

And on another forum I've seen how a guy has installed a pin with a hinge. Does anyone know where to get these? Especially one for a Uberti?

I figure all I need is enough loading lever to slip a cheater bar on...

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4342.msg71940.html#msg71940

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 1858 Cylinder Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcflint
March 9, 2013, 12:49 PM
A solution that some have done, the 5-1/2 inch Uberti for one, is a loading lever catch that is not crimped in place, it can be slid out of the dovetail to free the cylinder pin to slide forward.

rodwha
March 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
I suppose that would be an option.
Do you have any idea as to what it takes to free them up (crimped)?

unknwn
March 12, 2013, 12:59 AM
I have a s.s. '58 that will be getting shortened to about six inches or so.
My intention is to fit an Uberti catch and drill/thread it for a set screw instead of an interference fit on the dovetail.
Along with the Uberti dovetailed sight block I think it will eliminate two of the aspects of the less expensive gun that bothered me so much about it.
Now if I could just find an instruction (with dimensions) to "rugerize" the hand spring, and someone to cut leades onto the cylinder bolt notches I might be willing to consider the project gun "Done" .

Old Dragoon
March 15, 2013, 12:33 AM
What I did with my "Gunslinger" "58" Remy 5 and 5 1/2 inch bbls was to Hinge the Cylinder pin. It was hinged just inside the frame, NOT INSIDE THE CYLINDER). I hinged it so I could move the loading lever catch to the proper place back from the muzzle. You can buy tiny chain links,(as in single row chain) at a good Hardware store. I cut the pin then installed a link, pinned in place and worked down smooth.
My first ones dropped down. My later ones folded to the side(either side).
That is how I got around the pin being too long to pass the Loading Lever catch.
I am glad that Pietta and Uberti saw the value of my Gunslingers and introduced their "Sheriff's" models. My Gunslingers were made well before there were 58 Remy Sheriff's Models from either mfg.

BTW the 5 1/2 Inch Sheriff's Models are a "Never Was", in the fact that Remington never produced that model.

I see more "Gunslinger's in my future.

rodwha
March 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
So a hinged pin needs to be made? There are none commercially made?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 1858 Cylinder Pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!