H&R 929 Sidekick 22LR

PDA

TomADC
March 9, 2013, 11:29 AM
See one of these on another board for sale, made in 1959 looks brand new and comes with a bunch of extras, might make a good RV knock around gun and a plinker for the wife, although I'm thinking of a Ruger SR22 for her.
Anybody ever own one?

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R 929 Sidekick 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CajunBass
March 9, 2013, 11:37 AM
I've never had a 929, but I have owned a couple of other H&R's. They make good, fun plinkers. The D/A pulls have never been much to write home about, but the S/A's have been OK. The ones I had (A 650 and a 999) didn't shoot like a Model 17 Smith & Wesson of course, but they were minute of tin can accurate at least.

PabloJ
March 9, 2013, 01:05 PM
See one of these on another board for sale, made in 1959 looks brand new and comes with a bunch of extras, might make a good RV knock around gun and a plinker for the wife, although I'm thinking of a Ruger SR22 for her.
Anybody ever own one?
I would rather buy Taurus or Rossi then H&R. The SS Ruger SP101 .22 is simply precious.

gordy
March 9, 2013, 01:44 PM
I had one some years back. I sold it as I needed some money. I should have kept it and just been poor for a bit. You have not told us a price, How much?
I think these are great guns. The cost has gone up on these guns and most people think they are not worth it. They are not S&W or Ruger by any means. And I think Rugers are no S&W. But H&R's are a great gun and too bad are no longer made.

TomADC
March 9, 2013, 02:52 PM
He is asking $280, with the extra's, spare grip, speeder loaders, holster, ammo.

gordy
March 9, 2013, 07:32 PM
That would be a bit high here in Minnesota. Can't say for California. I would say with the extras(how much ammo 50 rds or 500 rds) you should pick it up if you like and want it. There was one a while ago in a pawn shop here in Minnesota and they wanted $180, Just the gun. I was going to buy it and went back a week later and it was gone.

bainter1212
March 9, 2013, 07:50 PM
$280 is just a tad bit on the high side. I inherited a 929 from my great grandfather. It is a mid sixties model. The family legend is that "it shoots around corners" LOL. When I got ahold of it, I did some investigating and found out that the barrel is bent!!! I bought a new barrel for it (kinda pricey) and have yet to swap it out.
I would not have bothered with the barrel if it didn't have that sentimental value attached to it. The idea that I could pass it on to my kid with the words "this once belonged to your great great grandfather" is somehow priceless......

Onward Allusion
March 9, 2013, 08:34 PM
IMO, the H&R's and NEF revolvers from the 70's & 80's are sleepers. They have some collectibility 'cause they're no longer made. As for quality, they're not S&W's or Colt's, but are good guns with decent accuracy. These guns are generally a good value for the money if they are in good condition.

6 months ago, I would have said that $280 was high, even with the extras. These days, it's probably a fair price, especially with the ammo (how much???).

TomADC
March 9, 2013, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking $280 is about max I haven't made a counter offer yet, but in today's market especially here everything is a premium just a couple of hundred rounds of CCI Mini mags.

788Ham
March 10, 2013, 12:06 AM
If it helps any.... I've got a 999 my Pop left me, no, its not a Smith or a new SP 101 .22, but it shoots good, accurate too. Jump on it, you'll be sorry if you don't.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R 929 Sidekick 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!