OK first 40 loads Question..

PDA

poor man
March 9, 2013, 05:32 PM
ok so after reading the manuals i do have and waiting for others.... and reading all the help here, i have my starter load set to test fire..

i have 180gr lead FT over 3.5 gr red dot seated to 1.131 NOW the question!! when i use the crimp die after seating the lead it pushes my OAL to 1.137 ... so is this normal or do i have the crimp die too tight??

PS. i did the "plunk test" and they dropped right in flush but i did have to shake a little to get them to fall out...(im using some range brass that cleaned but stained) i have nice brass but i want to save it till i know what im doing so if i trash any brass it aint my good stuff :)

thanks for all the help..

If you enjoyed reading about "OK first 40 loads Question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beatledog7
March 9, 2013, 05:46 PM
What is measurement of the case mouth right at the entrance? If it's under about .421" then it's probably too much crimp, squeezing the bullet out of shape. No way to tell from here if the bullet is hitting the lands, but I'm betting it is.

rcmodel
March 9, 2013, 05:52 PM
Measure the case mouth on a completed round.

With .401" lead bullets, your taper-crimp at the case mouth should measure about .422".

If in doubt whether the bullet is hitting the rifling leade?
Color a bullet with a black magic-marker and chamber it.
If it's hitting, it will scrape the ink off the bullet.

I can't comment on your 3.5 Red Dot load, other then it sounds too light to me.

Older Alliant data does not list Red Dot with cast bullets.
It says 5.0 is a Max load with a 180 JHP.

So a 10% reduced starting load would be 4.5.

I think you should go at least to 4.0 and see if it will cycle the slide.

rc

James2
March 9, 2013, 05:53 PM
A word about crimping. (http://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/crimping.html)

poor man
March 9, 2013, 06:35 PM
ok i pulled them to be safe and started over,,,,

this time the final bullet oal is 1.124 (after crimping)

i backed the seating die off some and backed the crimp die off too,

the bullets are running .402
the case neck is .415 (after crimp)

i smoked the bullet with an oil lamp and plunked it and twisted it with my finger and NO soot rubbed off (except from the brass)

PS IM NOT RECOMMENDING USING AN OPEN FLAME !!!! its something ive used before on other things to see where things are rubbing,, a oil lamp turned up high makes lots of cool soot

PSS and NOT in the reloading room!!!!!!!

poor man
March 9, 2013, 06:36 PM
ALSO im using a 4 die set forgot to say that earlier

rcmodel
March 9, 2013, 08:16 PM
the case neck is .415 (after crimp)That is too much crimp.

See post #3 again.
Second sentence in the post.

rc

poor man
March 9, 2013, 08:34 PM
GOT it :)

so i did 10 rounds at 3.5 then did 10 at 3.7 then 4.2 and 4.2 was the winner it shot the best and still had a light recoil.

so i ended up with 180gr FT lead, 4.2 gr red dot, oal 1.125 and a case neck of .422

so all in all im a happy camper :)

THANKS for all the help !!!!!:D

cowtownup
March 9, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thats great.. Roll on....

Walkalong
March 9, 2013, 10:32 PM
Should look something like this.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131392&stc=1&d=1291121200

If you enjoyed reading about "OK first 40 loads Question.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!