Mark Kelly caught buying an AR15

PDA

drcook
March 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
Mark Kelly got caught buying an AR15 and a 1911. When confronted about it, he backpedaled and made up a BS story.

I don't know what more to say about the issue other than he got caught, here is a link to one of the stories and if you use Google, you can find other mentions of it.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/09/Gabby-Giffords-Husband-Buys-AR-15-Announces-He-s-Not-Keeping-It-After-News-Leaks-Out

If you enjoyed reading about "Mark Kelly caught buying an AR15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bri
March 10, 2013, 09:42 AM
I call bs! I bet he's already got an order in to magpul for some accessories...

bluekouki86
March 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Well yea the rules should be different for them....just ask them.

Akita1
March 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
deleted (repeated later in the thread)

JFrame
March 10, 2013, 10:12 AM
So what's Kelly saying -- that he's going to buy every used AR-15 he encounters and turn it over to the Tucson PD??? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-hysterical.gif

Leftist liars gotta lie...

AlexanderA
March 10, 2013, 10:15 AM
He's just establishing his "gun-loving" bona fides. He was also trying to show that background checks are not onerous. I don't see how you can say he was "caught" doing this -- I'm sure it was all planned.

RugerBob
March 10, 2013, 10:16 AM
If that was his intention I believe he would have had the news there for extra coverage for proof.

Akita1
March 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
If that was his intention I believe he would have had the news there for extra coverage for proof.
Exactly. Plus he got busted and it hit the web before his FB post...

AlbertH
March 10, 2013, 10:32 AM
Politicians, they go to college together, they room together, they study political science together, they belong to the same fraternity/sorority, they know that in our two party system one needs to be a democrat and another needs to be a republican.
They choose the party that provides them the best chance of getting elected in the location in which they choose to live.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Hacker15E
March 10, 2013, 10:33 AM
He's just establishing his "gun-loving" bona fides. He was also trying to show that background checks are not onerous. I don't see how you can say he was "caught" doing this -- I'm sure it was all planned.

If it was planned as some sort of object lesson or demonstration for his gun control PAC, then:

- He would have had some sort of press or photographer there documenting it, and

- He would have had a better story than whatever the story is he posted, which makes absolutely no sense.

Blackrock
March 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
Dang same store and same counter where I filled out the 4473A when I bought my stripped AR lower last fall. Great store for personal and home defense weapons and supplies. This is NOT a Sporting Goods Store (hunting), they are filled to the brim with quality defense weaponry.
http://www.dbackpolice.com/

cfullgraf
March 10, 2013, 11:08 AM
If it was planned as some sort of object lesson or demonstration for his gun control PAC, then:

- He would have had some sort of press or photographer there documenting it, and

- He would have had a better story than whatever the story is he posted, which makes absolutely no sense.

Right.

jerkface11
March 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Well obviously the law shouldn't apply to people like him.

Akita1
March 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
One more thought: if his cover story were true, then he lied on his 4473 when he stated he was taking possession of the AR if he actually intended to turn it over to LEO - that's a straw purchase you moron!

N003k
March 10, 2013, 11:29 AM
Akita, be careful, it's not illegal to buy a gun to give to someone else, it's illegal to not be the actual buyer/purchaser. I can buy a gun and give it to anyone I have no reason to believe is prohibited from possessing it, and actually have bought guns as gifts before, that's fine as long as it's the buyers own money.

Now, if he bought it with some other persons money to give to anyone else, that's a straw man as someone else is the actual buyer.

Creature
March 10, 2013, 11:30 AM
This is priceless.

But it wont deter the staunchest and most 'Morally Superior' antis from their mission. They will just shun Kelly as having fallen to the dark side.

jerkface11
March 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
Did he use money from his PAC?

Akita1
March 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
I sent him a message and asked

cbpagent72
March 10, 2013, 12:10 PM
I initially shopped at diamond back but after witnessing more thug types shopping there than cops I moved my business to The Armory on Pima. I like dealing with Josh a lot more.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

berettaprofessor
March 10, 2013, 12:23 PM
Don't worry Mark. It'll never ever hit the MSM of NBC, CNN, etc. Maybe, just maybe, might hit Fox New's morning show late in the hour.

DCoke
March 10, 2013, 12:26 PM
I tried to click on the Breitbart link and I got a hit that it was a virus trying to download....be careful of who posted that link.....inadvertant or purposeful I don't know.

AABEN
March 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
If you watch the news it showed that they belong to the NRA. I ran my virus scan and found it. It is now gone. Thank for the head up.

Billy Shears
March 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
Can anyone be dumb enough to think people will buy a story like that? That he would go plunk down a grand or so of his hard-earned, just to take the purchase and immediately turn it over to police? Why would anyone do such a thing? I can think of better ways to throw money away.

KTXdm9
March 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'm sure watching him go down in flames will be quite entertaining.

beatledog7
March 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cover story certainly fails the sniff test.

somerandomguy
March 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
Next Dianne Feinstein will be buying an "assault weapon", just watch.

Thermactor
March 10, 2013, 01:30 PM
I lost my respect for Mark Kelly a long time ago; this latest story will hopefully open the public's eyes as to what kind of individual he truly is. :barf:

icanthitabarn
March 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
He may have plans to complain about all the mean gun-owners that have started harassing him and his family, after all they went through.

somerandomguy
March 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
I tried to click on the Breitbart link and I got a hit that it was a virus trying to download....be careful of who posted that link.....inadvertant or purposeful I don't know.
Me too...

jfdavis58
March 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
My guess and speculation: The protection detail he and his wife enjoyed since her days in the congress and the shooting is about to/or has run out. Sequestration or just normal time limits, I don't know. So he did what any of us would do/did do when we realized that helps takes time to arrive--we armed ourselves.

It's too bad he doesn't have the conviction of his words. Revealing ones flawed character is costly and damaging.

We need to keep a wary eye on the spin of this event.

somerandomguy
March 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
My guess and speculation: The protection detail he and his wife enjoyed since her days in the congress and the shooting is about to/or has run out. Sequestration or just normal time limits, I don't know. So he did what any of us would do/did do when we realized that helps takes time to arrive--we armed ourselves.

It's too bad he doesn't have the conviction of his words. Revealing ones flawed character is costly and damaging.

We need to keep a wary eye on the spin of this event.
That makes sense. I sure wish I got protection detail...

longknife12
March 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
I tried the link...my Avast immediately block virus!
Dan

zeos
March 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
which he now says he intended as an illustration of the need for more stringent gun laws.

I don't see that as making a point. Presumably he filled out the paperwork, the shop called in his info, and he gave them some money in exchange for the guns. All he proved is the system worked.

coloradokevin
March 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
What really amazes me is that he found an AR-15 to buy!

He now says he's going to turn it over to the police... maybe his original intention was to place it on gunbroker for winning bid of, say, $11,465 and make some money off of it?

danez71
March 10, 2013, 02:26 PM

I dont think that is it at all.

What 'protection detail' did she have?

Since when do common senators get protection detail?

Shear_stress
March 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
The timing of this really couldn't be better. Don't forget to drop a quick mention of the hypocrisy of Kelly's testimony in your letters to Colorado lawmakers:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/10/Mark-Kelly-Gave-Pro-Gun-Control-Testimony-In-Col-One-Day-Before-Before-Buying-AR-15-In-AZ

Carter
March 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Priceless.

Posted on facebook as well.

mrvco
March 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
It sounds like someone likes guns more than his wife will let him admit :)

Tdodge7
March 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
Why on earth would any self respecting gun shop owner sell a gun to one of the morons trying to ban them, I would have told him to get the hell out of my store and never come back.

CB900F
March 10, 2013, 03:06 PM
Fella's;

Since they don't share the same last name, it might have been useful to state in the opener just who Mark is & why this is news. Something like: Mark Kelly, Gabby Gifford's husband, -----. Not everybody knows all the players in every situation.

900F

PRM
March 10, 2013, 03:10 PM
What he wants for himself, he would gladly take away from you...

Caught red handed he claims he was buying it to turn over to the Tucson police. I'm sure he was concerned some non-law abiding citizen would slip through the already mandatory background checks at a gun store and wind up on the street with it. Now, that he and his wife (Gabby Gifford) are the new poster children for the anti 2nd Amendment crowd, I guess he has become the one man gun buy back champion for the whole USA, LOL!!! Or, is it a simple case of I'm more entitled than you - sorry I got outed.

sansone
March 10, 2013, 03:10 PM
yeah, the last name threw me, had to read these posts to figure out who the heck he is :D

Grassman
March 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
So he's griping about the NICS check being to easy? Let a felon go in and try the same thing and see how quickly he gets denied. I'd say the systems works. This guy disgusts me. Freaking hypocrite,all of em.:banghead:

barnbwt
March 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
Damn, I must admit I never thought that's where all the guns were going :D

I love the "I was just doing research" line; same as anyone caught doing something they'd rather wish unseen. I want to know why he even thought he should buy and AR15. Lotta political risk for no fun whatsoever (allegedly). Why didn't he just have someone else buy the gun for him and remain anonymous ;)

In related news:
Bloomberg's Antigun Lobbyist Enjoys Shooting Watermelons with Assault Boom-Booms! (http://freebeacon.com/the-watermelon-hunter/) :eek: :D
http://s3.freebeacon.com/up/2013/03/550372_480133848702310_1725421093_n.jpg
Purely research, I'm sure. "I really hate watermelons" --quoth the lobbyist...

Democratic Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper also asked to be invited to the melon shoot

TCB

Jamie B
March 10, 2013, 04:10 PM
drcook-

Thank you for posting this here - hypocrisy at it's finest!

BullfrogKen
March 10, 2013, 04:20 PM
"Luuucyyy. You got some 'splainin' to do."

Bobson
March 10, 2013, 04:22 PM
Deleted.

Pilot
March 10, 2013, 04:27 PM
Kelly is trying to make another career from his wife's tragedy just like Brady did with her husband. It is all about money. Watch the "non-profit" anti gun group that they've already set up and the salary and expenses he will be drawing from it.

Just like most hypocrite statists, it is all about profit for them, and no rights and higher taxes for you.

Lateck
March 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
drcook-

Thank you for posting this here - hypocrisy at it's finest!
Yes, thank you.

Lateck,

Geno
March 10, 2013, 04:32 PM
I used to be shocked by such people, not so much anymore. Do as I say, not as I do.

Geno

texasgun
March 10, 2013, 04:37 PM
I don't buy his "research" thing for a second...

he goes to an official store, fills out the paperwork and goes thru a background check. what exactly does this proof?

if he would attempt to buy from a private party online or at a gun show... that'd be a whole different story....

Sistema1927
March 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
Even hypocrites have the right to self-defense.

Those Founding Fathers were pretty smart dudes.

95XL883
March 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
Satire warning: Now wait a minute. Maybe he was proving it wouldn't catch a straw purchase. Maybe he was buying it for Gabby with money she gave him? Hmmm? In my best senatorial voice "The seriousness of the charge demands an investigation." ROTFLMAO!

Seriously, I am not suggesting he was making a straw purchase. He was just an ordinary citizen exercising his God-given Second Amendment right. I hope he enjoys it immensely and shoots it responsibly. Of course I also hope the store has video that finds it way into an ad supporting RKBA.

Good for Mark. I'm glad he has it.

Double Naught Spy
March 10, 2013, 05:43 PM
If he is buying it and turning it over to the police, then doesn't that mean he apparently lied when he filled out the paperwork?

clutch
March 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
He may have plans to complain about all the mean gun-owners that have started harassing him and his family, after all they went through.

That is priceless. IF he feels threatened his first impulse is to arm up with the good stuff. I don't feel all that threatened but I have the good stuff just in case I need it. :)

SigSour
March 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
Politicians will say what the voters want to hear.
Politicians, they go to college together, they room together, they study political science together, they belong to the same fraternity/sorority, they know that in our two party system one needs to be a democrat and another needs to be a republican.
They choose the party that provides them the best chance of getting elected in the location in which they choose to live.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Amen.. Twice!

22-rimfire
March 10, 2013, 06:26 PM
Good for ME but not for THEE.

Billy Shears
March 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
I don't buy his "research" thing for a second...

he goes to an official store, fills out the paperwork and goes thru a background check. what exactly does this proof?

if he would attempt to buy from a private party online or at a gun show... that'd be a whole different story....
It does make one wonder what he really wanted it for. Maybe someone should check and see if he's been appropriating any of those astronaut diapers...

wojownik
March 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
He is a hypocrite, plain and simple. Wanting to force rules on "other folks", not folks like him. That an individual with such accomplishments in the Navy and NASA should taint it all with self-serving crap like this.

Shadow 7D
March 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
where is the media coverage

Kim
March 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
Democratic Underground is ignoring it. I know they knew about it cause they keep an eye on Free Republic which has posted it. I already know what they will say-------They will believe him and say good for him taking an evil AR-15 off the streets. They will say nothing of his "automatic" handgun. Just the way they are.

buckeye8
March 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
Right, because I always spend an extra $1,500 on my trip to the store in order to perform "research" that I could have easily performed on my computer, for free, in my pajamas.

Amazing. :rolleyes:

SigSour
March 10, 2013, 08:27 PM
When a gun -related story came out about a month ago that was a threat to gun rights in Seattle, I emailed the story to the NRA just to make sure if was on their radar. I think I will do the same with this story, hopefully they will shine some light on it. If *we* can't get the media to talk about it, maybe the NRA can.

Akita1
March 10, 2013, 09:45 PM
Here's what I posted this morning under his hastily-contrived story after getting busted (~2K comments thus far - he's getting hammered, and that doesn't count all the direct postings on his page to him personally, most them not so polite):

"Mark, no offense but YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT! You got outed and now you post this garbage to throw off the scent? What about the .45? Are you "giving" that to LEO as well? No one believes you so just own it and admit you want guns just like a lot of other people do. Stop the noise dude, it just demeans you. BTW, does your wife know about all of this? Also, if your BS story is true, did you LIE on your 4473 (that you were the one taking possession)? If so, this is a straw purchase and your hypocritical behind just committed a crime."

JFrame
March 10, 2013, 09:57 PM
Here's what I posted this morning under his hastily-contrived story after getting busted (~2K comments thus far - he's getting hammered, and that doesn't count all the direct postings on his page to him personally, most them not so polite):

"Mark, no offense but YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT! You got outed and now you post this garbage to throw off the scent? What about the .45? Are you "giving" that to LEO as well? No one believes you so just own it and admit you want guns just like a lot of other people do. Stop the noise dude, it just demeans you. BTW, does your wife know about all of this? Also, if your BS story is true, did you LIE on your 4473 (that you were the one taking possession)? If so, this is a straw purchase and your hypocritical behind just committed a crime."

...Love it! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC_doubleup.gif

llwsgn
March 10, 2013, 10:35 PM
Really cute. Thanks for posting.

usmarine0352_2005
March 10, 2013, 10:59 PM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/usmarine0352/MarkKelly1_zpsd96d2a9e.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/usmarine0352/MarkKelly2_zps6209ac92.jpg

Kim
March 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
Well.....DU just posted this and the "committee" voted to ban it cause it was hurtful etc.. HAHA!!!!! They are hiding from themselves.

N003k
March 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
Guys, really, keep in mind, he didn't break the law, he may be a hypocrite, likely a liar based on his response, but this was NOT a straw purchase.

If he used his OWN MONEY to purchase the gun, whether he intended on giving it away or not it was NOT a straw purchase.

The instructions for question 11.a, straight from the 4473 as obtained from atf.gov:

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS-FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer "NO" to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable...yadda yadda yadda.

Emphasis added as bold, italic, underlined combination otherwise emphasis is in original document. Kelly is just Mr Brown, and the PD would be Mr Black. It's LEGAL, if you're going to attack the man, attack what he actually did, not what you might wish he did.

Byrd666
March 11, 2013, 12:00 AM
So typical of the Double Standard of D.C. And ALL of government.

Anmut
March 11, 2013, 12:50 AM
One rule for them, one rule for us.

radar1972
March 11, 2013, 01:13 AM
Giffords owns a Glock. Why shouldn't Kelly own an AR-15 and a .45?

Now, the fact that they're hypocrites is another matter altogether.

Hondodawg
March 11, 2013, 01:15 AM
I thought he lives in Houston?
What state does he claim residency?
Didn't take possession of the AR, doesn't he have to do another B/C when he picks it up?

r1derbike
March 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
At least he is proving that Obama is the greatest weapons/ammo salesman in history! Even his minions are joining the hoarding.

Go economy, go!

runner55
March 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
Giffords and Kelly relocated to Tucson, Az (she is a Tucson native and still has lots of family members here) in August of 2012. I hear and see their B.S. all of the time. Our local media can't get enough of them.

JLe˛dhas
March 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Guns for me but not for thee, is the mind set of the liberals.

happygeek
March 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
It would appear Mark Kelly is a gun control noob. He should take notes from Josh Sugermann, who holds a 01 FFL using the address of the VPC's office in DC. Sugermann can buy all the Title I firearms he wants with only the distributor and possibly the local ATF agent who drops by to check knowing.

Based on reading most of what the VPC has pumped out over the years I believe Sugermann has bought quite a few guns as he seems to know what he's talking about. His interns on the other hand ...

Certaindeaf
March 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
Well it sure looks like he's done.

ApacheCoTodd
March 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah, Mark (anonymous astronaut-my wife got shot tragically along with unnamed others so that trumps space travel notoriety) Kelly.

Wait, no, it's Mark when's-my-next-scheduled-appearance-cause-my-wife-got-shot-and-no one-cares-about-astronauats-anymore Kelly.

Or is it Mr Giffords?

SuperNaut
March 11, 2013, 03:39 PM
He knows better than anyone that you have to buy now to get grandfathered.

Akita1
March 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
Guys, really, keep in mind, he didn't break the law, he may be a hypocrite, likely a liar based on his response, but this was NOT a straw purchase.

If he used his OWN MONEY to purchase the gun, whether he intended on giving it away or not it was NOT a straw purchase.

The instructions for question 11.a, straight from the 4473 as obtained from atf.gov:

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS-FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer "NO" to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable...yadda yadda yadda.

Emphasis added as bold, italic, underlined combination otherwise emphasis is in original document. Kelly is just Mr Brown, and the PD would be Mr Black. It's LEGAL, if you're going to attack the man, attack what he actually did, not what you might wish he did.
OK, I'll change my post to "MAY have just committed a crime" because not sure any of us have all the facts here just yet - as usual we're piling on because he appears to be a hypocrite and seems to have made up a story when he got outed.

digsigs226
March 11, 2013, 04:24 PM

Add to that the fact he waited a whole three days after the fact to announce it, nobody waits that long on a publicity stunt.

His Facebook Post:
"I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a .45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don't have possession of it yet but I'll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do. "
http://current.com/community/94072346_gabby-gifords-husband-buys-ar-15.htm

The NICS background check system SHOULD only take a few minutes, does he think should they ought run your name twice if you buy an "assault weapon" or something? Is this particular sector of government far to efficient for his tastes?

Don't buy the explanation for a second. He got caught with his pants down.
What little respect I had for him as an astronaut and naval aviator is now gone.

627PCFan
March 11, 2013, 04:35 PM
Ill also be boycotting the SPEED network, because apparently he supports them too ;)

C.F. Plinker
March 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
Add to that the fact he waited a whole three days after the fact to announce it, nobody waits that long on a publicity stunt.

His Facebook Post:
"I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a .45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don't have possession of it yet but I'll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do. "
http://current.com/community/94072346_gabby-gifords-husband-buys-ar-15.htm

The NICS background check system SHOULD only take a few minutes, does he think should they ought run your name twice if you buy an "assault weapon" or something? Is this particular sector of government far to efficient for his tastes?

Don't buy the explanation for a second. He got caught with his pants down.
What little respect I had for him as an astronaut and naval aviator is now gone.
If he hasn't taken possession of the AR yet is that because Arizona has a waiting period? Did he take the 1911 home with him?

sawdeanz
March 11, 2013, 05:18 PM
Found the story on CNN and they totally bought the whole research thing! They didn't even mention how the story broke. If someone was caught smoking weed as research no one would buy that, how is this different?

FitGunner
March 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
If it was research, why buy two guns? Wouldn't one have sufficed? He would have been better off telling the truth. Another two-faced hypocrite.

SSN Vet
March 11, 2013, 05:30 PM
I guess Mark knows how to spell HYPOCRITE after all.

happygeek
March 11, 2013, 05:51 PM
Found the story on CNN and they totally bought the whole research thing! They didn't even mention how the story broke. If someone was caught smoking weed as research no one would buy that, how is this different?

They went with "it was for 1st Amendment purposes so we won't prosecute" when their boy David Gregory broke the DC magazine ban, on national TV no less. Somehow I doubt they would have been so forgiving if it'd been a nutnfancy video where he held up a 30 round AR mag and said "look these things are in DC despite the ban!".

If you break a law in DC is it ok as long as you video tape it, put it on TV or online, and then claim the 1st? Or do you have to agree with them politically to use that defense? :scrutiny:

SigSour
March 11, 2013, 06:12 PM
I see that Mark Kelly will be on Wolf Blitzer to "explain" what happened - should be interesting... is sad when you already KNOW it's going to be a lie.

EDIT: Uh, he wanted first hand knowledge of how easy or difficult it was to buy a weapon like that... yeap, that's what he said. I will post the video so you folks can check it out when it's available.

I found myself feeling physically ill watching him lie like that and good old Wolf lobbing him those softball questions.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/11/gabby-giffords-husband-buys-assault-weapon/

JFrame
March 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
Blitz Wolfer will get to the truth! :D

http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-hysterical.gif
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC-LOL.gif

SuperNaut
March 11, 2013, 06:41 PM
Welp, I'm heading down to the strip club for some research...

barnbwt
March 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
If only journalism outlets like CNN could force themselves to comment on what have to be thousands of complaints at this point from people who know Kelly was busted, made up some nonsense on the fly a few days later (really, "research" is the best he could come up with on three days' notice?), and is desperately trying to deflect the question away from himself at this point. Insted, CNN reports on his supposed alibi with no mention to the hypocritical truth or even a "percieved" conflict of interest.

We have reached the ultimate state of inversion; wherein the free press is eager to promote the prevailing political doctrine, all the while convinced they are the masters of it all. More concerned with scooping eachother than holding the powers that be accountable for their wrongs and hypocrisy.

"Highly trained astronauts? Well, that's actually something of a myth" :D

TCB

PavePusher
March 11, 2013, 10:31 PM
I initially shopped at diamond back but after witnessing more thug types shopping there than cops I moved my business to The Armory on Pima. I like dealing with Josh a lot more.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
I'm guessing a lot of UC types might shop there, skewing outsider observations? Heck, I've seen weird looking people at every gun shop in town. Once there was this crazy-looking geek on the other side of a pane of glass, kept mimicking everything I did.... But he bought a nice 1911, so he couldn't have been too bad... :scrutiny::uhoh::evil:

berettaprofessor
March 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Don't worry Mark. It'll never ever hit the MSM of NBC, CNN, etc. Maybe, just maybe, might hit Fox New's morning show late in the hour.

My quote. I was wrong. It just hit the CNN website;totally believed the explanation by Kelly though..

vtail
March 11, 2013, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah, Mark (anonymous astronaut-my wife got shot tragically along with unnamed others so that trumps space travel notoriety) Kelly.

Wait, no, it's Mark when's-my-next-scheduled-appearance-cause-my-wife-got-shot-and-no one-cares-about-astronauats-anymore Kelly.

Or is it Mr Giffords?
Mr Gabby

TrickyDick
March 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
What good would turning an AR-15 over to the police do? they're not illegal, the police already have M16's, and who the hell told him that this would make him a hero? just plain moronic. Does he go and buy drugs off the streets to turn over to the police too?

jbrown50
March 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
I can imagine how it went:

LGS: Mr. Kelly, the AR-15 that you wanted has arrived off back order and it looks mmmmarvelous.

Mark Kelly: It has all the goodies, right......the flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible stock?

LGS: Yep. Even got you those 30 round mags you wanted.

Mark Kelly: Ooooo, gee thanks. I'll be right there to pick it up. (hangs up phone)......oh, wait a minute...darn it! Gabby and I told Mr. Bloomberg that we're in (lowers his head, but then has a revelation). Hey....maybe I can sneak down there, git in and git out before anyone catches on.:evil: It's worth a shot.........

BoilerUP
March 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Capt. Kelly has more discretionary income than most if he can afford to spend a thousand bucks or more on an AR15, during the current panic bubble, to "prove a point" about background checks.

I'm not dropping a grand-plus on a rifle just to give it to local PD...and I suspect he wasn't originally planning to do that, either.

JFrame
March 12, 2013, 03:09 PM
Capt. Kelly has more discretionary income than most if he can afford to spend a thousand bucks or more on an AR15, during the current panic bubble, to "prove a point" about background checks.

I'm not dropping a grand-plus on a rifle just to give it to local PD...and I suspect he wasn't originally planning to do that, either.

Yup -- there is not a part of Kelly's fabrication that passes the smell test.

B!ngo
March 12, 2013, 04:04 PM
His response does seem fabricated.
But Commander Kelly is a member of a very small group of Americans to whom I give a 'pass' for their behavior. Decorated flyer, astronaut, wife's head nearly blown off and rendered far less functional than she previously had been by an armed psychopath.
He's doubtlessly conflicted being ex-military and then suffering this terrible blow to his family and their careers.
I give him a complete pass.
B

jerkface11
March 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
But Commander Kelly is a member of a very small group of Americans to whom I give a 'pass' for their behavior. Decorated flyer, astronaut, wife's head nearly blown off and rendered far less functional than she previously had been by an armed psychopath.
He's doubtlessly conflicted being ex-military and then suffering this terrible blow to his family and their careers.
B

You give him a pass for forming a gun control group that seeks to bar you from owning semi auto arms of ANY kind as well as "high capacity" magazines. All while buying them for himself? I don't care what he did in the past or what his family has been thru that is WRONG.

Coop45
March 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
B
So, you would give Sarah Brady a pass too?

41magsnub
March 12, 2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah... no. This is not something he gets a pass on.

heeler
March 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
I can't stand hypocrites.
This is no different than a dirty Preacher or Police Officer.
Do as I say not as I do does not cut it with me folks.

TarDevil
March 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
B

I'm sure he appreciates it.

He gets no such thing from me, decorated or not.

TennJed
March 12, 2013, 05:33 PM
B
People that are "conflicted" are not in the front lines forming groups and preaching to the media.

March 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
Yup -- there is not a part of Kelly's fabrication that passes the smell test.

Yeah, how's that saying go?- If it don't make sense, it ain't true.

Akita1
March 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
B
As my 7 year old says: what the…? (don't finish it, son)

Newcatwalt
March 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
NO PASS from me. Whatever respect I had for either one of them went down the toilet when they started pushing for more gun control.

PRD1
March 12, 2013, 06:32 PM
this morning on the front page of the Arizona Daily (Red) Star - they went with the 'research' line. I'm sure it must be true, if I saw it in the newspaper.
Mr. Kelly now joins my (fairly short) list of those who Should Be Remembered - but not as high on the list as Jane Fonda: I still hope I outlive her, just so I can make a pilgrimage to her grave, to place my memorial gift, which won't be flowers...
PRD1 - mhb - Mike

k_dawg
March 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
B

I give him no more of a pass on this, than if he wishes to put on a white hood and burn a cross in my yard; or bomb a Jewish synagogue.

He is assaulting innocent Americans.

PRM
March 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
Pass - Nutts... NOT FROM ME!!! I'm sorry for his family tragedy, BUT, their is still such a thing as personal responsibility. He has knowingly made a choice to assault the very Constitution he swore to protect and defend as an officer. He is making himself and his service a disgrace.

Seven High
March 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Did Mark Kelly purchase ammunition for his AR-15 when he bought it? If he did, that alone would indicate to me what he intended to do with it.

paintballdude902
March 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
i bet some tucson cop is gonna be stoked when mark kelly gives him an ar-15....... SIKE

r1derbike
March 13, 2013, 01:17 AM
Where may I find a Tucson Police uniform?

sonick808
March 13, 2013, 01:26 AM
no pass given. A great deal of sympathy and respect for hardships and accomplishments, but that in no way translates to tolerance for his attempt to usurp my rights.

Guy B. Meredith
March 13, 2013, 02:04 AM
Gifford and Kelly went through some bad stuff, but that doesn't promote them to the status of God. They are human and can (and did) screw up.

Arp32
March 13, 2013, 02:19 AM
If he hasn't taken possession of the AR yet is that because Arizona has a waiting period? Did he take the 1911 home with him?

No waiting period here in AZ. Likely just out of stock.

58limited
March 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
This made it to Foxnews as well:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/13/former-rep-giffords-husband-mark-kelly-purchase-rifle-ignites-online-firestorm/?test=latestnews

12many
March 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
I read he bought the gun day or two before the shooting of his wife but had to wait to pick it up. This means to me he is not telling truth. I don't know full story though.

Perhaps his wife getting shot changed his mind though and now he thinks guns are bad. Those things happen in life, meaning people change their mind on certain issues.

Still though, 2nd amendment did not change even if his opinion did.

jerkface11
March 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
No he bought it on march 5.

Grassman
March 13, 2013, 07:21 PM
I don't give him a pass at all! He should know better. He is scum.

12many
March 13, 2013, 07:51 PM
Yes, you are right, several months after the shooting. Interesting.

Unlikely he was buying it for profit. They are not poor and given situation he does not seem like he would be a flipper.

clutch
March 13, 2013, 08:08 PM
It isn't a straw buy to gift a local LEO agency. Since I'm sure Homeland Insecurity has made sure AR's are in the armory I don't see why he would do that. Since he was an Astronaut, I'm tend to believe he has fairly good cognitive skills.

I really think he bought one for himself. Maybe some nutcases threatened him and his wife, that is a horrible thing to have to deal with.

I'm thinking that being a man with a functioning brain, he decided that he would arm up to protect himself and his wife Gabby.

I wonder if Bloomberg has him on the payroll? An honest and honorable man would say at this point, I felt the need for protection and the AR15 is a good tool so I bought one. Bloomberg would not agree and likely cut him off the gravy. I've considered him a useful tool since this started.

jerkface11
March 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
If he truly believed that ar15s were good tools for self defense he wouldn't be calling for them to be BANNED.

joeschmoe
March 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
It proves he's a scumbag liar.

Billy Shears
March 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
If he truly believed that ar15s were good tools for self defense he wouldn't be calling for them to be BANNED.
Not Necessarily true at all. You are forgetting the elitist mindset: "these things are very effective, very dangerous weapons. In the wrong hands, they can wreak havoc. I know that I would never misuse one like that, so I trust myself with one. But you know there sure are a lot of dumb yahoos out there, and it would be better if they can't get their hands on them."

I rather suspect that this is the sort of thinking he's got running through his head.

Deus Machina
March 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
Yup, the grabbers have three mindsets. The well-intentioned but uninformed, the elite "I can trust myself with that, but everyone else is below that," and the fanatical "I couldn't trust myself with that, so nobody can be trusted with it."

Generally, type 1 are just tipped fence-sitters and may come around. Politicians fall into the other two, with the occasional 2-B, "I can trust myself with a gun because I'm in power, and don't want that risked when I make my plans."

r1derbike
March 14, 2013, 12:12 AM
If it was a publicity stunt, it was as transparent as saran wrap on a toilet seat.

Tinpig
March 14, 2013, 02:14 AM
Kelly doesn't get a pass, but what he and Sarah Brady and Carolyn McCarthy have in common is the senseless, grievous wounding or death of a loved one.

Yeah, we all know the criminal was to blame, not the firearm, but it makes no sense to expect rational thought from someone whose husband or wife suffered that kind of devastating violence and loss.

We need to oppose what they're doing 100%; calling them names is pointless.

Tinpig

Certaindeaf
March 14, 2013, 02:27 AM
It's like one of those old time progressive prohibitionists "snuck" into a speak-easy and bought him a jug to drop a dime on but realized it was 2013. lolzers fails

Al Thompson
March 14, 2013, 08:53 AM
Done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mark Kelly caught buying an AR15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!