.30 Carbine/M1 Garand

PDA

Henry45
March 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'd really like to find one of these rifles. Does anyone know where the best places are to look and what kind of price range they are going for, so I can kind of figure out if I'm getting hosed on the price. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about ".30 Carbine/M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Orlando
March 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
CMP for a Garand
CMP in the private sales section for a carbine

Jackal
March 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
You can try Gunbroker if you cant/dont want to meet CMP requirements. Carbines are between $600 for an ugly duckling and up to $1200 for a clean example. Garands are from $550 for an ugly beater up to $1100 for a pretty one. Carbines are now worth more than Garands, kinda odd:rolleyes::eek:.

Warp
March 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
M1 Garand: CMP. Period.

Civilian

Marksmanship

Program

http://www.odcmp.com/

Service grade for $625

You'll get a higher quality rifle for less money than you are likely to find anywhere else.

Babarsac
March 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
Be wary with M1 Carbines, there are lots of commercial post-war rifles and parts which aren't as good as the real thing.

zeos
March 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.dupagetrading.com/dupagetrading/index.php/firearms-for-sale/m1-garand-rifles-detail

jimmyraythomason
March 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
CMP only has HRA rifles in "rack" and "service" grades. They have some "select" grade Springfields starting at $995(at the south store). Dupage Trading Co. is completely out of stock. I've been searching for one for the last few weeks.

Warp
March 10, 2013, 05:33 PM
CMP only has HRA rifles in "rack" and "service" grades. They have some "select" grade Springfields starting at $995(at the south store). Dupage Trading Co. is completely out of stock. I've been searching for one for the last few weeks.

Any reason the OP wouldn't want a service grade HRA?

cfullgraf
March 10, 2013, 05:47 PM
For a first Garand, a CMP Service Grade or better is a good bet. Field Grades and Rack grades can end up being nice rifles but they usually need some TLC and knowledge of the workings of a Garand is a plus for working on these.

HRA's are nice Garands.

Besides the sources for Carbines listed above, at guns shows at least in my area usually have a few carbines on the tables. Prices are higher than $600 depending on the manufacturer. Prices at CMP a few years ago before they ran out of carbines was ion $500-$600 range depending on the manufacturer and grade.

There were 10 WWII military contractors and a number of post war commercial contractors. Do some homework before shopping.

chris in va
March 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
I bought a SA Field Grade from the CMP three years ago for $495. It has been stellar.

MJD
March 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
I've bought both an M-1 carbine and M-1 Garand from the CMP.

For the Garand, I'd highly recommend a service grade if you're mail-ordering. The field grades can be good rifles, but you also risk getting one that might need some more TLC than you're willing to provide. Bottom line, best bet is to go with a service grade for mail ordering, or go to the store and pick out your own Field or Service grade.

For carbines, I'd agree with a previous poster that the CMP forum buy/sell board is a good place to pick up a carbine. You're less likely to get a bad one there, in my opinion, because board members tend to be pretty knowledgeable people and a friendly bunch. However, as always, do your homework beforehand to know what you're looking at. Also be advised that there are a good many sellers out there that make their carbines "correct" for particular serial # runs; you'll probably want to avoid these because of the possible price premium people may be looking for and get a "shooter" in good mechanical shape.

If you enjoyed reading about ".30 Carbine/M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!