Screw ebay, lets boycott!!!!!

PDA

WalkerTexasRanger
March 12, 2004, 10:38 PM
Just an FYI for my firearm friends out there. I had listed an AR upper on ebay a few days ago and they just cancelled the auction stating that I was violating ebay rules by selling a complete firearm. I let the ??????? liberals know how stupid they are, that an upper is not the firearm, and they have no right to cancel the auction. There are dozens of other, but because I listed complete, they think it is the whoe gun. ??????? brilliant are the liberals in Calif.l.....

I say we start a boycott of ebay....

Whos with me????

WTR

If you enjoyed reading about "Screw ebay, lets boycott!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
March 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
I say we start a boycott of ebay.... Already started mine .. a while ago!:p

Justin
March 12, 2004, 10:52 PM
Ebay has had a policy against allowing firearms for auction for quite some time. This is nothing new.

There are plenty of alternatives out there, Gun Broker, Guns America, take your pick.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 12, 2004, 10:58 PM
et too, Justin???

I did not list a complete firearm, just an AR upper. Did you read my post... That is my point. I understand they have a prohibition of firearms, but they are so stupid that they dont know that the upper is not the firearm and they just canceled the auction anyway.

J Jones
March 12, 2004, 11:26 PM
Try it again, stating it is not a complete firearm nor is it regulated as such.

Justin
March 12, 2004, 11:46 PM
From the eBay policy page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms.html

Firearms
Firearms cannot be listed on eBay's core or storefront sites. Firearms include all "pre-ban," sporting, collectible, curio and relic (C&R), and antique firearms, regardless of their capability to fire a shot. Any item that is designed to propel a metal (or similar) projectile is covered by this ban, regardless of that item's present ability to fire.

Basically, if it's a gun, or a part of a gun, eBay doesn't want it posted. Not my policy, theirs. Nor do I think it's fair, or right. But eBay isn't my site, and they haven't asked my opinion.

While they don't explicity prohibit the posting of an AR upper, it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't make 'em happy.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 12, 2004, 11:57 PM
There are dozens of other uppers currently listed, and I have sold four or five in the past through the site, one as recently as two months ago.

I understand I did not state that it is not a firearm, and I just know that my comment of it being a complete upper makes them think it is a rifle, but come on. They should know what they are doing.....

Not to mention they completey prohibit the sale of standard capacity magazines. Another reason to boycott.. Just because they operate out of the PRK, they want to control what happens in the rest of the world.

They are just getting out of control, and we must rebel against them!!!!!

Time to take a stand!!!!!!

QuarterBoreGunner
March 12, 2004, 11:57 PM
eBay is completely fical in what can and cannot be listed.

WalkerTexasRanger- my sympathies buddy, 'cause I've sold probably half a dozen complete uppers on eBay. Granted that was about four years ago, but I doubt the policy has changed that much.

J Jones
March 13, 2004, 12:17 AM
Basically, if it's a gun, or a part of a gun, eBay doesn't want it posted. Not my policy, theirs. Nor do I think it's fair, or right. But eBay isn't my site, and they haven't asked my opinion.

There are thousands of gun parts on eBay. They don't want "pre-ban"or whole firearms. No way around the latter, but most folks just call "pre-ban" stuff "pre-1994" or "made before 1994" to skirt this BS.

c_yeager
March 13, 2004, 12:20 AM
There are dozens of other uppers currently listed, and I have sold four or five in the past through the site, one as recently as two months ago.

So, it's not their POLICY that bothers you, just the fact that you got caught. Sorry, but i'll save my boycotts for something better.

J Jones
March 13, 2004, 12:23 AM
So, it's not their POLICY that bothers you, just the fact that you got caught. Sorry, but i'll save my boycotts for something better.

I believe that they don not accept any federally regulated parts. If it isn't serial numbered, then it isn't a gun for any post-68 firearm.

mrapathy2000
March 13, 2004, 12:24 AM
why the hell didnt you post the item in a pro gun auction site to begin with?
:scrutiny:

www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com

number of others out there as well.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 13, 2004, 08:58 AM
C_Yeager,

It is not their policy that I am at issue with here. I understand the policy and the policy does not prevent uppers being sold. The policy prevents whole firearms from being sold.

My issue is them not taking time to learn what does, or does not, constitute a violation of policy before terminating an auction.

Furthermore, this AM they have sent a note authorizing me to re-list the item. They said. based on my comments in my protest, the item does comply with policy. Funny though, no apology for me having to take the time to deal with listing again or their mistake. Just that I can list again...

WTR

Majic
March 13, 2004, 12:38 PM
There are better options for selling firearm parts than e-bay. No need in getting your panties in a knot over this.
Sorry I can't boycott them over just one item you can't sell.

Tamara
March 13, 2004, 12:39 PM
Basically, if it's a gun, or a part of a gun, eBay doesn't want it posted.

Incorrect. eBay has no problem with parts that aren't federally regulated. They just don't want to deal with parts very likely to wind them up in court if they can help it, like "pre-ban" Glock mags with suspicious "water drain channels" ground into the back. Rightly or wrongly, smaller sites with smaller legal departments are less liability-conscious, so you can sell that stuff there.

SiG Lady
March 13, 2004, 01:56 PM
I've successfully and quickly sold firearms accessories or parts over the various gun forums we all know about. That seemed like an appropriate place to sell those things. I've bought brass from eBay sellers and received excellent personal service from what ended up being cheerful fellow shooters.

However, my seller's account on eBay is currently helping me pay the rent, the electric bill, the phone bill, bullet orders, range fees and a host of things I can't afford with just the two-bit, low-paying part-time job that took almost ten years to find here in this part of Oregon. Opportunities to sell on eBay have saved my tail!!! I'm not in a position, I'm afraid, to drop my relationship with a service that's putting legitimate food on my table.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 13, 2004, 03:55 PM
You all are serious :)

I was actually speaking tongue in cheek about a boycott. I just wanted everyone here to know that eBay is not gun friendly, and we need to stand up for our rights whenever possible!!

Our voices must be heard!!!!

If they dont want our, as in gun owners, business based on liability, political views, or whatever, it is their loss. Plain and simple.

I have already had six emails from members here since just posing last night, the upper will sell no problem. It was just easier to list and let them handle the auction than me having to do it....

Possibly we could look into having an auction category here and people could bid via posting... Just a thought...

Everybody have a great day!!!!

Mark Tyson
March 13, 2004, 05:09 PM
Let's boycott the entertainment industry while we're at it. Hell no, we won't go! We won't go to see the show! LOL

Wildalaska
March 13, 2004, 05:33 PM
Boycott! Boycott! Im gonna spread the word form my AOL account..:D

WildtongueincheekAlaska

Dean Speir
March 13, 2004, 05:54 PM
…about having their tongue in their cheek, and more about how to get their head out of their butt! (Are ya listenin', WTR?) I was actually speaking tongue in cheek about a boycott. I just wanted everyone here to know that eBay is not gun friendly, and we need to stand up for our rights whenever possible!!

Our voices must be heard!!!! It is well-known to any firearms folk who don't have their head wedged, that eBay is not only not "firearms friendly," but downright firearms hostile, and has been for the past four or so years! And those firearms folk who don't have their head wedged, have quietly been boycotting eBay since they wet their corporate pants and instituted their No Guns policy.

So, in other words, WTR, you're a li'l late to the necktie party and kinda remind me of the gal who didn't cry "Rape!" 'til she discovered that she'd been paid with counterfeit bills. You knew eBay was "not gun friendly," you used them anyhow, and now that it's your ox which has been gored, you're raisin' a fuss.

Mannlicher
March 13, 2004, 08:29 PM
y'all do what you want, I like eBay. Found a wonderful old Weaver 1.5 X 4.5 Variable scope a few weeks ago, after looking for years.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 13, 2004, 09:56 PM
Dean,

Thanks for the personal attack. Turning on a fellow enthusiast makes you look very intelligent.

I posted as a simple reminder and/or as information to those who might not know, or need reminding.

This whole thread simply amazes me. I am obviously a pro gun individual, posting about poor treatment by antis, and 4 or five people attack me.

**A warning to all gun enthusiasts, do not post about negative treatment by the antis, or many of your "so-called" friends on the right will turn on you****

We should stand together, as turning on each other will only lead down a bad road....

If we dont support each other, and we turn on our own kind, the antis win....

Good shooting!!!

Okiecruffler
March 13, 2004, 09:59 PM
I don't think Ebay is hostile toward guns, I've bought a load of gun parts on there, I doubt any hostile sight would allow such things. They allow listing for such things as threaded barrels, instuctions for converting to weapons to full auto, etc. Not exactly anti-gun attitude we have here. I did have them cancel one of my auctions for a mag because I didn't state that it would "hold only 10 rds", I just relisted it the way they required, no harm no foul. They are just covering their butts from bogus FFL transfers, and in this day and age I'm not sure I can blame them. And as long as I can get a contender barrel on Ebay for $150 while the same barrel starts at $200 on the other auctions, I'll keep using them.

Gewehr98
March 13, 2004, 11:02 PM
I say we start a boycott of ebay....

Who's with me????

I will. Soon as I finish my bidding on a certain hard-to-find scope, bases, and an external USB hard drive enclosure, ok? :scrutiny:

Dean Speir
March 13, 2004, 11:21 PM
**A warning to all gun enthusiasts, do not post about negative treatment by the antis, or many of your "so-called" friends on the right will turn on you**** O, for the love of Peter G. Kokalis, stop sniveling and re-read what you wrote!We should stand together, as turning on each other will only lead down a bad road....

If we dont support each other, and we turn on our own kind, the antis win.... The "antis" have already won when someone like eBay decides to issue a No Firearms edict… I don't care what their reasons are… and gun persons continue to support them.

Sure, eBay is huge, but there are at least six, when I counted on Tuesday, active dedicated Internet firearms auctions sites, demonstrably staunchly pro-gun, yet you (and others) have no qualms about continuing to support eBay! So, who's won that one?!?

As for the "our own kind" part, you ain't my kind, WTR! My kind doesn't patronize eBay, use AOL or shop K-mart!

So if you wanna posture as a "pro gun individual" and whine "about negative treatment by the antis," the same "antis" you knowingly elected to patronize, you seriously need to re-think your position on one issue or the other! You thought that you were okay on eBay by playing by their rules? Now perhaps you can take this as an object lesson, and learn the same hard way that "Papa Bill" Ruger did when he proposed the draft legislation (http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html) limiting magazine capacities to 15 rounds... and five years later had the Crime Bill stuffed up his and our collective fundamental orifice!

mondocomputerman
March 14, 2004, 12:04 AM
I have sold a holster and a Model 12 Magazine tube, but they ended my auction of a standard Glock 19 magazine. For now I'm stuck with the magazine but otherwise I'm pleased with Ebay.

WalkerTexasRanger
March 14, 2004, 09:15 AM
Dean,

Quote -
As for the "our own kind" part, you ain't my kind, WTR! My kind doesn't patronize eBay, use AOL or shop K-mart!

So if you wanna posture as a "pro gun individual" and whine "about negative treatment by the antis," the same "antis" you knowingly elected to patronize, you seriously need to re-think your position on one issue or the other! You thought that you were okay on eBay by playing by their rules? Now perhaps you can take this as an object lesson, and learn the same hard way that "Papa Bill" Ruger did when he proposed the draft legislation limiting magazine capacities to 15 rounds... and five years later had the Crime Bill stuffed up his and our collective fundamental orifice!

You are right,, "you ain't my kind" either. My kind does not attack other pro gun individuals.

If you will look back, what is the thread subject again, boycott ebay. You attack me for using ebay when I am posting about boycotting them in the future. I did elect to use them, but now I have come back stating my mistake and expressing contempt for their policies. And yet, you continue the attack on me.

I just figured it out. You must be a troll from the DU, just over to try and turn gun enthusiasts against each other. Now it all make sense...

I am out-

Mark Tyson
March 14, 2004, 09:26 AM
WTR -

Dean Speir is not a "troll from DU" - he's a former gun magazine writer and he runs one of the more informative webzines/gun related web sites out there.

In any case, are there other online aution sites that we can use?

WalkerTexasRanger
March 14, 2004, 09:39 AM
Mark,

Understood about the other sites. I am a member and have sold items at AA and Gunbroker, obviously here as well. Trust me, I will not go back to ebay. That was my whole point.

My other point was we, being pro-gun, need to stick together. If we turn on ourselves, we are done, and the antis have won.

Majic
March 14, 2004, 02:04 PM
My other point was we, being pro-gun, need to stick together. If we turn on ourselves, we are done, and the antis have won.
...but we really can't just jump on a bandwagon everytime someone has a pet peeve about something. We show a real lack of judgement about issues and you might as well just stick the fork in us.

captlid
March 14, 2004, 08:31 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

This list alone should let you know how much control govt has over us. Ebay is just trying to be in the business of making a profit. :evil:

TechBrute
March 14, 2004, 08:43 PM
Ebay is just trying to be in the business of making a profit.
Damn them and their crazy capitalistic views!! :D

Ebay isn't neccesarily anti-gun. They have a whole category called GUN ACCESSORIES. It's under the category called HUNTING. Under GUN ACCESSORIES are AMMUNITION MAGAZINES, BARRELS, CASES, GRIPS, HOLSTERS and a few others.

They just don't want the liability of dealing with actual firearms. Why weren't you using Gunbroker, anyway? Then you expect eBay to know something about AR15 uppers and you scream at them like they're stupid. That's be like me screaming at you because you couldn't properly format a TPS report. Why weren't you using Gunbroker, anyway?

captlid
March 14, 2004, 09:00 PM
On top of the fact they are incorporated in california, most of their guidelines are based off of california state law. If they were incorporated in delaware or idaho or new hampshire, maybe they would be more friendly to firearms selling. Its no small feat to run a company like that and trying to comply with 50 state govt's 1 fed govt, and at least a whole lot of large city govts. Also they are moving into the international arena more. It wont be easy for them to comply with all the laws. I am predicting that since the un doesnt look to kindly to small arms, they wont be selling small arms officially internationally either. Maybe someone who uses international ebay in germany or canada can let us know?

Tamara
March 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
As for the "our own kind" part, you ain't my kind, WTR! My kind doesn't patronize

Yes, your kind most certainly does. :scrutiny:

Your kind also seems to have difficulty honoring rules that they voluntarily agreed to.

Kaylee
March 14, 2004, 09:10 PM
well... that's about enough of that. :scrutiny:

4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.

-K

If you enjoyed reading about "Screw ebay, lets boycott!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!