Remington 700

PDA

schromf
March 13, 2004, 12:11 AM
I popped into a gunstore today that I don't frequent too often cause I don't like the drive and saw some very nice rifles. One in particular caught my eye a old Remington 700 in 243 WInchester. How old I am not sure but the checkering was real not stamped which was a clue, and the magazine plate was real steel. Any ideas when this might be made? My guess is the early 60's but I am not sure when Remington brought out the 243 in the 700.

Asking price was $395.00 with scope and rings ( junkers ) any comments?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Freedomv
March 13, 2004, 04:49 AM
I am trying to remember when the ...243 came into production. And if I every saw a Remmington 700 with a cut checkering stock. All I ever remember are stamped (cheaper to make) which would indicate to me that this was a top of the line rifle or at least a better grade that was offered. I would have to agree with you that it would have been early 60's. This really doesn't help you much I guess, just my 2 cents worth.
Vern

schromf
March 13, 2004, 02:11 PM
Well I called and got the date codes on the rifle and I was pretty far off it seems. It is PZ and I think that makes it a 1975. Which makes me think it might have been a improved grade or someone might have cleaned up the checkering. My purpose on this as I was buying a good action to work with on a 6mm Rem or 257 Roberts and really wasn't to interested in the barrel or stock. I thnk I might try shooting it first as some stock 700's can really be a suprise in the accuarcy dept.

Anyway I decided to buy it and see how it works out.

Another question do the new 700's have the serial numbers engraved on the bolt?

Freedomv
March 13, 2004, 04:42 PM
Have you concidered the older 722 action? I like to use them as the bolt is not checkered and usually can be bought quite reasonable at gun shows. They are a good buy in my book. Plus they are drilled and tapped for reciever sights and have a notch cut out for stripper clips should you want to shoot matches.
Vern

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 700" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!