Need recoil pad for Ruger m77

PDA

WoodchuckAssassin
March 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
I finally got out with my Ruger m77 .270, and after shooting 50 rounds...my shoulder told me that I need to do something about that aweful "recoil" pad.

What is a nice fiting, effective recail pad for the Ruger m77?

I was looking at a Limbsaver, but a lot of reviews said that the fit wasn't very good.

Thanks for any and all advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need recoil pad for Ruger m77" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sage5907
March 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
Take a look at the Pachmayr Decelerator Field Pad No. D750B. It should be installed by a competent gunsmith with your length of pull. The 1 inch thick pad installed usually costs about $100 but well worth the effort.

DJW
March 10, 2013, 09:49 PM
Woodchuck, you're a better man than I am. Only took 10 rounds out of my Ruger MK2 in 30-06 to convince me that the nervous system cannot be fooled. After that, flinch city! Please post if the decelerator helps. Thanks, Dave

Abel
March 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
1" red Decelorator by a gunsmith who knows how to fit one.

WoodchuckAssassin
March 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
Seems to be pretty clear what the winner is.

To be honest, I didn't think I'd be getting myself into a $100+ upgrade.

Are there any middle-of-the-road recoil pads that I could install myself? I don't want to come off as cheap, but I'm already considering an action job on the rifle, and with the amount that I already have into it, I'm trying to cut cost where I can.

Thanks for the advice.

DJW
March 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
Funny story about mine. I happened to run into the old guy from whom I bought this beautiful left-hand Ruger. Got to talking to him and told him how it kicked. He laughed and told me the guy he bought if from only shot 10 rnds. and sold it to him in trade for a .243! If that is true, my rifle has a total of 20 rnds. through it. At 68 yrs. of age I just don't choose to be pounded like that. Do post if you decide to spend the $ and it really helps. My only other alternative is to load up some rounds with 10 gr. of Unique and lead bullets and have at it! Seems like a waste of potential horsepower though. Good luck with yours, Dave

4season
March 11, 2013, 06:22 PM
I picked up a slip on limbsaver for mine. The recoil wasn't bad for hunting but the pounding I was taking building up a load for it was making my shoulder blue. A slip on was all I needed for the range, then I took it off to go hunting.

aka108
March 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
Buy a PAST recoil pad. You wear it on your sholder. These shields are great. Almost think you could handle a 16in naval gun with one. No kidding, you can shoot any rifle caliber all day long and be comfortable. Cost is in the area of bucks. Mine is at least 20 yrs old and going strong.

jmr40
March 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
I don't think a permanate pad is the answer. A 270, especially in a fairly heavy rifle like a Ruger just does not kick that bad. Traditionally 270 and 30-06 rifles did not even have pads, just hard plastic or metal plates.

Shooting 50 rounds in a fairly short time will have an accumulative effect though. Especially if you're not used to it. I often shoot 2-3X that much with rifles with similar recoil. It never bothers me at the time, but I'll be a little sore the next day. Sometimes near the end of a session I start to notice, that is when I know it is time to stop before bad habits develop. A good temprorary pad when shooting lots at the range is a good idea, but when hunting you will probably never notice the recoil of 1-3 shots.

Savage99
March 11, 2013, 10:08 PM
Fifty shots is a lot of shooting without a soft pad.

Many of those Rugers have a rubber butt plate which is fine for hunting though.

Buy a slip on recoil pad for use at the range. That's what I do.

While the new Decelerator pads are excellent it's installation would be a considerable expense and your rifle will be tied up at the smith.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_228724_101_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1841&scl=8.368181818181819&fmt=jpeg&id=1cVH9RukP17_LnI3-gvGqF

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=741408

sage5907
March 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
If you shoot 50 rounds every time you go to the range just cancel two trips and you can afford to install a $100 Pachmayr decelerator pad. While the rifle is at the gunsmith you won't be batting your eyes and after you get the rifle back you'll shoot better than you did before because the length of pull will be correct and the recoil will be reduced.

Deer_Freak
March 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
Check Ebay I found a wonderful recoil pad for my Mosin Nagant for $5. You might find a nice pad for your ruger. It took less than a minute to find Pachmayr Pre-Fit Decelerator 1in Recoil Pad, Basket Black - Ruger M-77 : 01704 $28.

Also saw some nice Houge overmoulded stocks for the ruger

simonjester
March 13, 2013, 10:29 PM
I put a Limbsaver on my m77 .270 Did have to cut the screw slots a bit but I think it lines up ok...

greyling22
March 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
you can buy a grind to fit recoil pad for 20-30 bucks, screw it on the gun and sand it to fit with a belt or orbital sander. should take less than an hour start to finish, including reading instructions and finding tools. That's all the gunsmith is doing. A really good smith will make it look like the pad came from the factory. You can do it at home with varying degrees of success.

Now, belt sander a fraction of an inch from your stock can be exceedingly scary. be carful, go slow, don't slip. That's what the gunsmith is charging you for. doing it right without screwing up. Same with computers, cars, houses, you can actually do most repairs and projects yourself, but a pro will typically do a better job and not screw up.

based on your skill level and handiness, choose wisely and good luck.

WoodchuckAssassin
March 14, 2013, 07:06 AM
Unfortunately, I don't own a belt sander. I know, I know...try not to pick on me too bad.

I'm thinking of going with a Pachmayr Pre-Fit Decelerator 1in Recoil Pad from ebay that Deer Freak recommended.

Does anyone know what screw-head is on the ruger butt plate? I'm having some trouble getting the old butt plate off, and I can't see those tiny screws.

juk
March 15, 2013, 03:18 AM
I have a Limbsaver pad on my tang safety Ruger. It screwed right on with no modifications and fits very well. Going from the hard rubber "red" recoil pad to the Limbsaver was a major difference. I believe I got mine for under $40.

WoodchuckAssassin
March 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
In case anyone was curious, I decided to go with the slip on recoil pad, Akton Kick-Killer. It was a great fit for my rifle, the velcro strap keeps it in place, and the leather is much higher quality than what I thought it would be. The color of the leather almost matches the stock, so it looks like a complete package. Best of all, it only increased the length of pull by a 1/4 inch - if that. Either way, it sholders perfect. Now I can get that trigger job I've been drooling over!

Haven't shot it yet, but I'm excited to get it out. Money well spent!

Thanks for all your opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need recoil pad for Ruger m77" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!