3rd Generation Colt Detective 38 Special Dryfire?

PDA

Airbrush Artist
March 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
I slipped up about 6 times on My cylinder count today and Dry fired 6 times ,I generally do not but I was concentrating on My stance grip and other aspects of My practice and was not counting,any thoughts on the damage aspects,I did a good clean after my session and the Firing pin on the Hammer is still good on the round.

If you enjoyed reading about "3rd Generation Colt Detective 38 Special Dryfire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PRM
March 11, 2013, 12:07 AM
Your not going to hurt it with limited dry fire. I personally don't dry fire one very much, but, I remember other LEOs dry firing as a fairly common practice back in the 70s and 80s. If you plan on doing it a thousand times per week over the next few years, (LOL) I would use snap caps, or even a fired casing.

Those guns are built like a tank.

Drail
March 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
I have been dry firing revolvers for many years and have yet to see anything break as a result of dry firing. That is not to say they never break but in my experience the problem is always because of a weak part or poor fitting or heat treatment, in which case it would have broken with live fire, even if it was never dry fired.

rcmodel
March 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
I slipped up about 6 times on My cylinder count today and Dry fired 6 timesIf you mean you lost count while shooting it and snapped on a fired case 6 different times?

You didn't dry fire it because it had fired cases in the chambers.

It will not hurt a thing.

Dry-firing means snapping it with nothing in the chambers.

Will it hurt it?
Probably not.
Should you do it?
No.

Parts for Colt revolvers are getting mighty hard to come by if it does break it.

rc

Dframe
March 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
D frame Colts like your Detective will NOT be harmed by a little dryfiring. The later Colts with the MK III and MK V actions CAN have their firing pin damaged by dry fire, and snap caps should always be used. As a practice, I picked up a couple sets of snap caps and always use them, regardless of the guns action. Just cheap insurance.

Cosmoline
March 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
A little should be fine. But it's not a Ruger. IIRC the third gens still use the old lockwork with the "V" mainspring. Compressing and releasing will eventually wear it out, and I learned the hard way how hard it can be to find the right replacement. And to install it. Thing hangs in there like some kind of trapeze artist.

If you enjoyed reading about "3rd Generation Colt Detective 38 Special Dryfire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!