The reason I was told .45 long colt was all sold out.

PDA

bugsbunny45
March 11, 2013, 01:11 AM
I was really thinking that some ammo would never be some out until I went to get to Academy Sporting Goods. The seem to have 30.06. 30.30 and a few other calibers. When I asked about .45LC the sales guy said People had been buying the Judge with is 410 and .45 long colt. I had noticed them on sale so I guess people got them and a few boxes of ammo.

I need my Long Colt :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "The reason I was told .45 long colt was all sold out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgkdrgn
March 11, 2013, 01:16 AM
reload

once you have the brass, cost you about 17 cents/round for 45 Colt

bugsbunny45
March 11, 2013, 01:25 AM
I am building brass as we speak :D

Speedgoat
March 11, 2013, 01:54 AM
In all honesty the caliber I shoot the most is .45 LC. I haven't shot much since all the panic has hit, mostly due to the effects of winter. Haven't looked much for it while shopping as my 1.5-2 50 round boxes I keep in the truck pretty much at all times haven't gotten used up for fun shooting, and I've got several more boxes in the house. Most of my trips to Sportsman's warehouse since fall have been spent on optics, clothing, and reloading supplies as I've gotten into that since Christmas. Although they haven't had .45 LC on the shelves for a long time, several years. Plenty of 44-40 and .44 Russian. Haven't been to the stores that I usually get my .45 LC from since probably Sept or so, mostly because the customer service and selection is poor. They do seen to have my SAA and '92 lever gun ammo though. Your post has inspired me to stop in there next time I head to town and check it out.

Fishslayer
March 11, 2013, 03:51 AM
.45LC was the only handgun ammo on the shelf at a local store recently.

Davek1977
March 11, 2013, 06:10 AM
Ammo of ANY kind, be .45lc or other, is nearly impossible to find at reasonable prices under these conditions.

bannockburn
March 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
The only store that I found regularly carried .45 Colt was one of the nearby Walmarts. The only reason they had any was that the clerk who did the ordering for the department got it in because his son had a Taurus Judge and could use it in his gun. So he figured since the Judge was so popular he might as well get the ammo for it as well.

Redlg155
March 11, 2013, 08:01 AM
Dunno...I saw a bunch of horses tied to a hitch in front of our local academy sports. Must be why we are out of 45 long colt.

PRM
March 11, 2013, 08:02 AM
reload

once you have the brass, cost you about 17 cents/round for 45 Colt - mgkdrgn

Good luck on finding the reloading supplies. Unless your already stocked up, they are about as scarce as ammo where I'm at.

Bout the only thing I haven't seen impacted significantly "yet," are black powder and muzzle loading supplies. I started shooting C&B revolvers because they were cheap and I did not have a lot of money when I was younger. I'm shooting them more today, because I can.

JRWhit
March 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
sales guy said People had been buying the Judge with is 410 and .45 long colt.
I've never understood this. They didn't buy it because it was a colt, they bought it cause it was a shotgun that fits in their hand.

I know,I know.... to each there own.

gp911
March 11, 2013, 09:37 AM
Did they have any .45 Schofield...?

Sav .250
March 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Seems like that any kind of ammo that goes into a hand-gun, no matter the cal, is hiding in peoples .....closets.

huntsman
March 11, 2013, 10:04 AM
I bought my last box of .45c back in Nov when there was still stock but my .45 Blackhawk lives on a steady diet of .45acp ;) I still have about 100 rounds of .45C left.

Reloading for this cartridge is something I want to do only because it's going to be my whitetail gun for the foreseeable future.

Arkansas Paul
March 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
Ammo of ANY kind, be .45lc or other, is nearly impossible to find at reasonable prices under these conditions.

Only for people who rely on stores for their needs.
I loaded 100 rounds of .45 Colt just the other day and I've got a total of about $7.00 in them. :evil:

thecarfarmer
March 11, 2013, 11:39 AM
reload

That's great, as long as you have bullets, primers and powder on the shelf. Of course, you could apply that thought to having ammo around, as well...

Another fine situation brought to us by: the Federal government.

(where's a 'facepalm' emoticon when I need one?)

-Bill

Arkansas Paul
March 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
reload

Then start casting. Then you decrease that by another .10 per round. :)

Greg528iT
March 11, 2013, 01:30 PM
I was just in a shop.. they sold me 100 large pistol primers.. they had maybe 800 and that was it... The counter guy said.. "I can sell you 100".. I didn't squabble figure 100 was better than nothing..

Good luck on finding the reloading supplies.

BCRider
March 11, 2013, 03:36 PM

You're not allowing enough for the "lemming effect" where folks panic en masse and get into that whole hoarding thing thinking that the new situation is what it'll be for ever after. The government might have put the carrot on the stick and hung it in front of our noses but it's the public that willingly charged ahead trying to get at that darn carrot.

Up here in Canada it was never as bad as down in the US the first time around when Obama got voted in and the whole US went starkers on the last buying and hoarding spree. We were just coming down off that one when this one hit us. I figure it'll be bad for another year, rather dismal for the year after that and only a little tough during the third year. By the fourth year from now we'll be back to more or less normal and prices will drop more or less back to normal. As long as we don't see another anti firearms prez voted in at that point then all will be rosey. If we do? Another knee jerk buying spree will likely ensue.

Arkansas Paul
March 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
You're not allowing enough for the "lemming effect" where folks panic en masse and get into that whole hoarding thing thinking that the new situation is what it'll be for ever after. The government might have put the carrot on the stick and hung it in front of our noses but it's the public that willingly charged ahead trying to get at that darn carrot.

That's some truth right there friend.
The government didn't make anyone go out and pay $3,500 for a $900 AR.
Nor have they made people pay $80 for a 525 pack of cheapo Remington .22 lr ammo.
The government didn't do this. The people did.

Drail
March 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
Human behavior is almost indistiguishable from that of lemmings. If you cannot or are unable to learn any lessons from the history of the human race then you will just keep stampeding off that cliff. Over and over. History is proof of that.

ATLDave
March 11, 2013, 05:30 PM
Indeed, the federal government, at least so far, has done approximately nothing. Some politicians - not the government - have proposed various measures, though none that would have had any impact on the availability of ammunition. The run on ARs and 30-round (or other 10+ round) mags I understood, even if I thought the buyers were overestimating the likelihood of success of the AWB revival. The ammo run has made zero sense.*

*Except for people in states where there are new restrictions on ammo. Buying stuff there is not irrational.

Arkansas Paul
March 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
It's not just the ammo either ATLDave. There's not a mold anywhere available if you cast for 9mm, .40, .45 or .38/.357 either.
Also, presses are hard to find. I ordered a Lee auto index turret press on 2/10 and the estimated arrival date has changed 3 times. Now it's 5/21.
Crazy.

Jim K
March 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
The anti's have not given up on a federal AWB or a draconian executive order from Obama, but they have concentrated on the states, where legislators tend to be awed by people like Bloomberg and also want less in the way of "persuasion" ($$$) to vote for gun control.

So gun bans of various kinds are moving in quite a few states, making the idea of buying those "evil" rifles now quite attractive. AFAIK, only Illinois has (reportedly) a proposal for a total ban and confiscation, but other states will grandfather magazines or weapons while banning removal from the home or requiring registration.

Jim

ATLDave
March 11, 2013, 07:41 PM
It's not just the ammo either ATLDave. There's not a mold anywhere available if you cast for 9mm, .40, .45 or .38/.357 either.
Also, presses are hard to find. I ordered a Lee auto index turret press on 2/10 and the estimated arrival date has changed 3 times. Now it's 5/21.
Crazy.

Oh, I know. I reload, and the inability to get primers, powder, etc., is absurd.

And it even goes to gun PARTS. I had a trigger return spring that needed replacing, something that surely would normally have shipped the next day, and I'm still waiting 2.5 weeks later.

Dnaltrop
March 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
I bought my Schofield just before the last big Ammo shortage, and it's the reason I started reloading .45 Colt. took costs per round from $0.60-$1.00 to $.017 a round or so.

The first year saved me so much money, It paid for the press, the dies, the completed rounds, a New to me ('87 manufacture) Ruger Blackhawk and a Shoulder rig.

Darn those Judge owners.

I wish I'd been more flush with cash in the last few months, I had SOME supplies, but I'm now down around 500 large pistol, 700 small pistol, and about 300 shotshell primers.

Join us in the reloader club, you won't regret it.

wlewisiii
March 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
Factory .45 Colt is underpowered trash that is only good for building up your brass pile. I just got done reloading the last of my brass so I've got 300 rounds of .45 Colt - 250 gr LSWC over 9 grains of Unique - for my 625 Mountain Gun :)

Reloading is where it's at with any large bore firearm.

BossHogg
March 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
Factory .45 Colt is underpowered trash that is only good for building up your brass pile.

+1 on that. Unless you buy some $3 a round ammo and that ain't gonna happen. Shoot the cheap stuff to get the brass and make my own real 45 Colt.

orionengnr
March 12, 2013, 09:41 PM
In the last 7 days I have seen .45LC in local Bass Pro and Cabelas.
Not cheap, but decent quantities. I did not buy any, because I load my own.

I know that everyone and his dog bought a Judge (I know five people who bought them) but only two have shot theirs, and only one has shot more than a cylinder full.

austin360
March 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
I need to go shoot my Rossi Ranch Hand Mare's Leg without getting raped on 45 Colt prices. Fun gun!

Vern Humphrey
March 20, 2013, 06:25 PM
Save your brass and make friends with your local tire dealer -- cast wheel weights make great bullets.

gandog56
March 20, 2013, 07:17 PM
.45LC was the only handgun ammo on the shelf at a local store recently.

I reload every single caliber gun I own...except .22 LR. But this latest round of panic buying is eating into reloading supplies...AGAIN!

Curse you Obama, two bouts of panic buying caused by you!

PabloJ
March 21, 2013, 04:35 AM
I was really thinking that some ammo would never be some out until I went to get to Academy Sporting Goods. The seem to have 30.06. 30.30 and a few other calibers. When I asked about .45LC the sales guy said People had been buying the Judge with is 410 and .45 long colt. I had noticed them on sale so I guess people got them and a few boxes of ammo.

I need my Long Colt :cuss:
It's the same as with 10mm JHPs. There were plenty on shelves couple of weeks ago, but once old stock sold out there is no more. You will have hard time finding quality loads for .45LC except for slow poke lead 'Cowboy Loads' perhaps. Manufacturers are focused at what is in most demand: .22lr, .223, .380, 9luger, .45ACP, .223, .308,..... Good luck dude.
I passed on real nice 7,62x35mm semi-auto carabine because I could find NO ammo for it anywhere.

gandog56
March 26, 2013, 05:44 PM
I sure am glad I reload, and figured out that an Obama panic #2 would happen if he was re-elected, and stocked up on ALL my reloading supplies in November! Because all the reloading powders and primers are pretty much out of stock!

Vern Humphrey
March 26, 2013, 06:43 PM
Of course, one of the liberals' goals is to outlaw handloading.

In Kenya, handloading is a crime and carries the death penalty.

Do we know anybody in the US Government who comes from Kenya?:eek:

Zoogster
March 26, 2013, 07:28 PM
Save your brass and make friends with your local tire dealer -- cast wheel weights make great bullets.

They banned those in California too a few years ago.
No more lead wheel weights.

Have to save the dinosaur that eats weights on the side of the road or something.

I tend to lose about 10% of my brass even trying to save it when I go to a formal range covered in brass with other people's brass bouncing around and my own bouncing of the dividers, and some brass going forward of the firing line. And that is spending time after every magazine or two so picking it up.
Loss goes up to around 30% if I try and wait until I am done.
If I travel the distance to go someplace outdoors and shoot I can typically recover 95-100% because it predictably travels a similar distance to the side without randomly bouncing off of anything before landing on the ground, as long as none gets stepped on and pushed under the dirt out of sight before being collected.

Of course that is with semi autos, maybe I should enjoy more revolver shooting and collect 100% every time.

WALKERs210
March 26, 2013, 07:47 PM
I don't remember the cost of the last 3 boxes of 45Colt was at Wal-Mart but I felt lucky that there was any there at all. I shoot behind my house at the edge of wood line and I love my 1892 Winchester replica, but the cost now makes me only take about 5-10 rounds when it goes with me. My wife was on my case over one year ago to start reloading again, but I never thought that a "PANIC BUY" would hit. Hate it when she's right. Currently I have about 25 lbs of clean lead to cast rounds but now I am hording it now just like it's gold.

Vern Humphrey
March 26, 2013, 07:56 PM
Currently I have about 25 lbs of clean lead to cast rounds but now I am hording it now just like it's gold.

With 250 to 255 grain bullets, that's about 600 to 700 bullets. Time to get out and scrounge more wheel weights.

TIMC
March 26, 2013, 08:25 PM

Maybe because it doesn't exist? :rolleyes:

JohnBT
March 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
I had to stop at a Wal-Mart yesterday for the first time in a year or two, but since I was there I checked the ammo. A few .410, a couple of 20 ga., one 12 ga. and 4 big boxes of .45LC for about $25 each.

John

Arkansas Paul
March 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:

Maybe because it doesn't exist?

Apparently it does indeed exist. Whether or not it was called that before or whether or not you think it should be called that, ammunition manufacturors are labeling it on their boxes.
(BTW, I happen to agree with you that it shouldn't be called that, but, it seems to be becoming the norm)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544894/hsm-bear-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-325-grain-wide-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-50

PabloJ
March 27, 2013, 03:20 PM
Apparently it does indeed exist. Whether or not it was called that before or whether or not you think it should be called that, ammunition manufacturors are labeling it on their boxes.
(BTW, I happen to agree with you that it shouldn't be called that, but, it seems to be becoming the norm)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544894/hsm-bear-ammunition-45-colt-long-colt-325-grain-wide-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-50
That is stuff they usually mark to be used in Ruger Super Blackhawk or TC carabine. A stiff 'Bear Load' out of stock? Who even shoots this stuff out of a handgun?

RCL
March 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, what brand of .45 Colt brass do you guys prefer?

Vern Humphrey
March 30, 2013, 03:17 PM
Starline

Arkansas Paul
March 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, what brand of .45 Colt brass do you guys prefer?

Whatever I can get my hands on at a reasonable price.

Jim K
March 31, 2013, 12:24 AM
Ammo makers are not big enough to keep all ammo in production at all times. They set up a line for a caliber, run off a batch big enough to last through the cycle, then tear down that line and set it up for another caliber, and so on. If all goes as planned, they will get back to the first caliber just as the stock room and distributors begin to run out of it.

But if a given caliber is selling so fast they can't keep up, they will keep that line running, even changing other lines over as needed, and defer less popular calibers to another day (or year). When they can get a break, they will run off the next most popular calibers, and so on. When will they get around to some of the less used calibers? Who knows? Maybe they will just use the situation to discontinue rounds like the .32 S&W, the same way they used WWII to discontinue poor selling and low profit calibers.

Jim

Clippers
March 31, 2013, 01:03 AM
Only took a couple weeks to get my order of 500 357 Mag and 400 45 Colt bullets from Missouri Bullet Company to load. I've been shooting more in the last couple months than I ever have. I got into reloading just in time.

vont01
March 31, 2013, 01:36 AM
I too reload a bunch of pistol calibers, but I was not aware that I had my 45LC costs down to about 17 cents. Wow. Have any cost factors on the 44's? l also load them along with 9's, 40's, 45's, 380's, 9x18's Makarov, and just starting to see what I can do with Nugant pistol 7.65's.

Lost Sheep
March 31, 2013, 05:40 PM
That's great, as long as you have bullets, primers and powder on the shelf. Of course, you could apply that thought to having ammo around, as well...

(where's a 'facepalm' emoticon when I need one?)

-Bill
Here ya go.

http://media.photobucket.com/user/spodchick1/media/smiley/facepalm.gif.html?filters[term]=facepalm%20smiley&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=4

There are a bunch here
http://www.bing.com/search?q=%27facepalm%27%20emoticon&pc=conduit&ptag=A215B8C32D0BB4154BAF&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127&ShowAppsUI=1

Maybe the mods can adopt one of them?

Methinks we could use a "dope slap" one, too. But that might not be the "High Road" attitude to which we aspire. Maybe a "There, there" or "Bless your heart" symbol instead.

Lost Sheep

If you enjoyed reading about "The reason I was told .45 long colt was all sold out." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!