Concealed carry at yard sales

PDA

Redlg155
March 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
Legal concealed carry that it is. As of late the wife and I have been going to yard sales on a frequent basis. We actually have found some really good deals, but unfortunately no gun stuff.

Anyway, other than asking you to leave the property if the owners of the sale find out, is there any other recourse other than to possibly get angry (property owner, not customer). The way I see things is that although it is private property, it is open to the general public by invitation. So unless there are specific signs stating no CCW...you are good to go.

Anyone else carry at yard sales? And it is legal in your area? I haven't recieved seen any law against it in Florida.

Note: post clarified somewhat...

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed carry at yard sales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
March 11, 2013, 08:03 AM
What's your question here?

Are you asking if other people carry at yards sales, then you're going to get "Yes" answers.

If you're asking is it legal to carry at a yard sale on someone's private property then the answer is going to depend upon the state laws on carry on private property. In FL that would be a simple question of being treated as a trespasser by the property owner if you failed to leave when requested.

sota
March 11, 2013, 08:04 AM
i'd recommend NOT getting angry if asked to leave. that doesn't help The Cause (or your blood pressure) in the long run.

treat it as you would any other locale or establishment... no sign doesn't preclude the owner/operator from requesting you depart because of your CCW status. it may be outside, but if it's their property it's their property. wouldn't you expect someone to request your wishes, especially regarding trespass, if you were on your front lawn?

Redlg155
March 11, 2013, 08:12 AM
I should really proofread my posts better. I had meant the yard sale owner being upset that you carried on to their property. Not gunowner.

There is absolutely nothing at a yard sale worth getting angry over, although I have seen some good arguments!

Risky
March 11, 2013, 09:10 AM
Well, if you're carrying concealed I don't see how the owner could possibly get upset seeing as he should have no idea you have it. However, if he asks you to beat feet and the the hell off his lawn... whether it be because you have a gun or he just thinks you're just funny looking, you had better get lost or you risk facing trespassing charges. Carrying a firearm doesn't legally compound trespassing in anyway that I'm aware of.

heeler
March 11, 2013, 09:15 AM
I carry concealed every where that it is legal to do so and inform no one that I am armed.
In other words I will go right into a someones home or business without giving it a thought.
So far no one has objected simply because what they dont know is not going to hurt them and I certainly am not voluntering the information.
As they say in boxing....Protect yourself at all times.

returningfire
March 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
If it is indeed concealed, how are they going to know in the first place?
If they find out, then just like you would at your house, ask someone to leave if you don't approve of what they are doing.

In NC you can carry unless the property has signs stating "no forearms, concealed or otherwise", but they can still ask you to leave, everyone has that right on their property.

Sav .250
March 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
Seems to me your making a mountain out of a mole hill. I really don`t get your problem.
If your not waving it around or boosting you`ve got a weapon , life goes on. No problem.
Folks wear weapons all the time (concealed) and nobody is the wiser. If it bothers you ,leave it home. Problem solved.

bikerdoc
March 11, 2013, 09:34 AM
Concealed means concealed.

HoosierQ
March 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
If your gun is concealed, how would anybody know you're carrying. Did I miss something. :confused:

If you're slinging an AR-15 and walk up on somebody's little yard sale of used baby clothes I can imagine an awkward moment. Concealed carry? Non-issue.

Think it through.

buck460XVR
March 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
One needs to know the laws of their state when it comes to CWC. If you know that, then asking about CWC while at garage sales will be unnecessary.

Redlg155
March 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
No mountains. No Molehills and it doesn't bother me. Calm down folks.

The point of this thread was wondering how many folks carry at yard sales. I did and still do.

beatledog7
March 11, 2013, 10:36 AM
Here we go, another thread where folks throw out the "concealed is concealed" argument, insisting that what a person doesn't know won't hurt him.

Absent any law or request to the contrary, CCW is good to go. But if a property owner asks us to not carry a gun on his or her property, to carry concealed anyway is disrespectful and wrong. If you have to carry and a property owner asks for guns to be absent, don't go on that property.

Airbrush Artist
March 11, 2013, 10:40 AM
How would they Know? This has become My new Pet Peeve with C&C Folk ,If people Know You ARE CARRYING A CONCEALED FIREARM HOW DID THEY FIND OUT? ITS COMMON SENSE you do not want anyone to know thats the purpose of C&C Concealment for Defensive Safety ..Definition of CONCEAL- to prevent disclosure or recognition of: to place out of sight

heeler
March 11, 2013, 10:43 AM
Well beatledog I would think that if a property owners has informed you they do not want you armed on their property and you do anyway then most likely you would be in violation of the law and where I live you would probably lose your carry license.

sansone
March 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
I normally reply: follow your state's laws regarding carry issues. In this case I will say, make certain your carry piece is very well concealed and don't worry about it..
I may get negative responses to my next statement;

ALWAYS make sure your carry piece is small enough and/or concealed enough so NOBODY knows you have it. I rarely bother checking for gun-free signs in town. Aside from the obvious places (courthouse, etc.) I don't worry much because I know my carry pistol is NEVER going to be seen by ANYBODY

buck460XVR
March 11, 2013, 11:02 AM
No mountains. No Molehills and it doesn't bother me. Calm down folks.
The point of this thread was wondering how many folks carry at yard sales. I did and still do.

Since the majority of your first post had to do with the legality and consequences of CWC at Garage sales, it just seemed to me, that was the direction you were going.....

Legal concealed carry that it is. As of late the wife and I have been going to yard sales on a frequent basis. We actually have found some really good deals, but unfortunately no gun stuff.

Anyway, other than asking you to leave the property if the owners of the sale find out, is there any other recourse other than to possibly get angry (property owner, not customer). The way I see things is that although it is private property, it is open to the general public by invitation. So unless there are specific signs stating no CCW...you are good to go.

Anyone else carry at yard sales? And it is legal in your area? I haven't recieved seen any law against it in Florida.

HoosierQ
March 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
I normally reply: follow your state's laws regarding carry issues. In this case I will say, make certain your carry piece is very well concealed and don't worry about it..
I may get negative responses to my next statement;

ALWAYS make sure your carry piece is small enough and/or concealed enough so NOBODY knows you have it. I rarely bother checking for gun-free signs in town. Aside from the obvious places (courthouse, etc.) I don't worry much because I know my carry pistol is NEVER going to be seen by ANYBODY
^^^This right here^^^

brboyer
March 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
Perfectly legal, in Florida to carry anywhere not prohibited in 790.02(12); 790.115-schools; 985.711, 951.22, 944.47 -Jails/detention facilities; and possibly 394.9265 and 916.1085-mental health facilities. And the odd restriction prohibiting carry in the Savannas State Reserve - 258.157.
Also cannot legally carry into any Federal building, Federal Court Facility, or any other location restricted by any regulation in the Code of Federal Regulations (Post Office property, VA, Army Corps of Engineer's projects, etc.)

None of these laws speak to private property (as a separate category.) Therefore, it is perfectly legal (with a CWFL or reciprocal State permit) to carry concealed onto/into any private property regardless of the property owner's feelings on the matter. (Let the flames begin...)

Now, of course the person in control of that property may demand you leave at any time, for almost any reason, and failure to do so could result in a trespassing charge. Also, note that trespass with a firearm is a felony in Florida.

To answer the question in your subsequent post, I carry everywhere legal.

ETA: 'No Guns' signs carry no legal weight, whatsoever in Florida regardless of where they are posted.

Godsgunman
March 11, 2013, 01:15 PM
I carry everywhere I go. Most the time even my wife doesn't even know I have in on me unless she wants some attention and gets touchy feely ;). Wherever I go it goes and you will never know unless you have xray vision because I'm not declaring it to anyone. Especially at a yard sale if someone had a problem and was brazen enough to put up a sign I'm sure they wouldn't be selling any of their crap to to many people around here. I for one wouldn't give them any money.

Greg528iT
March 11, 2013, 01:26 PM
If your gun is concealed, how would anybody know you're carrying. Did I miss something.

I read this a LOT.. it's kinda like plumber butt.. it's SUPPOSE to be concealed but(t) often is not... There are just going to be times even a IWB carry may pop out, especially at a yard sale where stuff is set on the ground and you bend over to look at it.

Spdracr39
March 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
Arkansas law states you must advise before entering any private home. You are good to go outside unless there are signs.

Jim Mac
March 12, 2013, 02:53 AM
we use to do yard sales often and you get the regulars (Im now a regular shopper) but there was always this old man and woman that would stop by, He always wore a little derringer on his belt. Well our daughters high school softball team decided to hold a donation, yard sale at the high school one saturday. So the same guy ive seen at alot of yard sales shows up with the derringer on his hip. I made it a point to tell him that school property is a considered a gun free zone in arizona. I told him I could be wrong but he may look into the rules before open carrying a pistol on school property. He did thank me and tell me he wasnt even thinking of the gun when he saw the yard sale sign. jim

TenDriver
March 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Been answered already. You're carrying concealed, the property owner should never know. If known, you politely comply. Be a good steward of concealed carry / gun ownership in general, and politely wish them a nice day on your way out. They may stew about it for a while, but if your last contact with the host is positive, you may begin to change their mind.

At minimum, they'll likely be thinking about their encounter afterward, and leaving on a positive note may be the beginning of them loosening an anti-gun view.

Creature
March 12, 2013, 11:14 AM

Why wouldnt I? Are we not supposed to carry at yard sales?

Pilot
March 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
If you are really worried about this it may mean you aren't carrying correctly, or aren't comfortable with it. As others have said, concealed is concealed.

rodinal220
March 12, 2013, 01:09 PM
If your firearm is properly concealed,how would anyone know???

Aiko492
March 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
yes carry, protect yourself from the silverware and rusty bike lol.

Tinpig
March 12, 2013, 09:38 PM
As others have said, I don't see how a yard sale is any different from anywhere else you carry concealed. If you carry concealed you most likely carry everywhere it isn't specifically prohibited. Unless there's a sign posted at the yard sale saying "firearms prohibited" it shouldn't be an issue.

In my state (Massachusetts) there is no law against open carry. However due to the "unsuitability" clause that can be used by local Police Chiefs to revoke LTCs in the event of a ruckus, I am very careful about keeping my carry firearm concealed.

As an aside, in the 47 years I've been carrying in Massachusetts and therefore paying attention, I have never seen a "firearms prohibited" sign at a private business or home. Maybe it's because I live in the swamps.:)

Tinpig

wojownik
March 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
If you're carrying concealed, the owner wouldn't know right?

If you're attempting to carry concealed, but are printing so badly that "it's all hangin' out", then this might present an opportunity to reevaluate your choice of concealment technique, holster, etc...

beatledog7
March 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
For those who have the "concealed is concealed" and/or "how would they know?" attitude, may I ask:

Why should anyone respect your right to keep and bear arms while you declare abject disrespect for their property rights? What does having such an attitude say about your character...?

Would you cheat on you spouse as long as he or she wouldn't know?

Would you steal clock time from your employer as long as he or she wouldn't know?

I could go on, but I believe the point is made.

Sam1911
March 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
For those who have the "concealed is concealed" and/or "how would they know?" attitude, may I ask:

Why should anyone respect your right to keep and bear arms while you declare abject disrespect for their property rights? What does having such an attitude say about your character...?

OK...I just gotta ask as you brought this up twice, have you EVER seen a yard sale posted with a "gun-buster" sign?

Seeing as the answer to that is NO, of course, then this is a tempest in a teapot thimble. It would be utterly inane to go around asking folks if they have a preference about your concealed carry gun before walking onto their lawn to look over their cast-offs, so ... literally, "concealed is concealed."

There's no reason for them to even have the question of whether someone might be armed cross their minds to begin with, and as no one in the history of yard sales EVER posted a "no guns" sign at the curb, there is no moral question here whatsoever.

We don't even have to beat down the hackneyed question of what carrying "against their wishes" might say about our "character."

(-- Yes, I know there are one or two states which require you to get permission before entering someone's home or whatever. I think we can ignore those aberrations for the sake of discussion here.)

beatledog7
March 13, 2013, 01:07 PM
Agreed, Sam, unless there actually is such a posting, the possibility of which was part of the original post.

I have never seen one at a yard sale, but if I did, I would respect it. Many, it seems, at a yard sale or otherwise, might not, and that is a "respect of property rights" problem.

wojownik
March 13, 2013, 02:17 PM
As the OP himself noted in the first post - if there is no signs posted, you're good to go. Unless the property owner somehow detects the presence of a firearm and objects, in which case I would politely - with all smiles - depart the premises. In Virginia, if you don't respect the wishes of the property owner (posted or verbal notification) you can be cited for trespassing. That is, if you are asked to leave and refuse.

Of course, I suppose there is always the possibility that a property owner is so highly sensitive/alarmed, that might call the PD rather than address you themselves (that they don't like firearms on their premises, for instance).

Which again brings back the point of concealed meaning concealed.

beatledog7
March 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
I agree completely that where there is no sign CCW is good to go.

The issue, as I have tried to point out, is that there are may here who would see the sign and in places where it doesn't carry the power of law would carry anyway because "concealed is concealed" and the property owner would not know. This is not how respectful people act.

If you see the sign, you can choose to 1) disarm, 2) not go on the property, or 3) violate the owner's wishes. Choices 1 and 2 are respectful; choice 3 is not.

The argument that the owner wants you to come on his property and buy stuff does not negate my argument. If he has posted a no guns sign, that clearly means he'd rather have you stay away than enter armed.

Flame me all you like, but it won't change those facts.

Sam1911
March 13, 2013, 03:47 PM
The issue, as I have tried to point out, is that there are may here who would see the sign and in places where it doesn't carry the power of law would carry anyway because "concealed is concealed" and the property owner would not know. This is not how respectful people act. But that's not really what the OP asked. You're bringing into this a side issue -- that's been debated many times before -- about what you suspect "many here" might do IF.

Does that really need to be pinata-ed around again? I mean, "respectful" people might not cast stones at their fellows who don't agree about what "respectful" people would do...

beatledog7
March 13, 2013, 03:59 PM
Ok, Sam, whatever. I was softening the statement by saying "might." Many here have openly declared their intent to defy property owners in various related threads.

I'm done.

joeschmoe
March 13, 2013, 04:24 PM
If the owner was worried he shouldn't have opened up his property to the public. The general public includes all kinds of citizens. Tall, short, black, white, armed, hippies, atheists, etc.

If he put up a big sign that said no guns, Jews or hippies I think a lot of his customers would complain, and we might just ignore the sign anyway. Let him try to enforce his rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed carry at yard sales" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!