Is any one using CFE223 in 308?

PDA

grubbylabs
March 11, 2013, 09:34 AM
I just got a pound of it and thought I would try it since I have been thinking about a ball powder for my 308.

where are you finding the sweet spot? Judging from my rifle yesterday, I assume it is towards the max charge.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is any one using CFE223 in 308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OldTex
March 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
I tried some ladder testing with CFE223 in my .308 GAP Crusader recently. While I'm not finished with this testing, I thought I'd give you one heads-up. I started getting pressure signs in my brass about 0.8 grains below the max charge shown on Hodgdon's site. I was using new Lapua brass, Fed 210M primers, and 168gr SMK bullets. At about 0.5gr below max, I blew out a primer. I have never blown out a primer in any bolt gun in 30+ years.

In another batch I tried using the CCI #34 primers, thinking that the slightly hotter primers might do well with the ball powder. I started getting soot rings around the primers at about 1 gr below max, so I just stopped right there.

OTOH, I was getting velocities higher than anything I've ever tried in .308. Thw sweet spot accuracy results are still out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is any one using CFE223 in 308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!