a new job career??

PDA

coonan357
February 2, 2003, 11:06 PM
oh this is embarassing I might have the opportunity of being a mall Ninja armed no less , I don't know if I should do this on the grounds of the fun we poke at these people , I am too old to try to get back into LE (36 ) plus I have had an injury to my foot which doesn't make me as mobile as I used to , I want your opinoins should I do it ?, after all I am sick of the trucking industry after looosing so much money (apx 13k ) and time , I was also trying to see if i should go into gun sales (legal like at a store) whats your opinion? I think the hardest decision would be what firearm to take today??

If you enjoyed reading about "a new job career??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zundfolge
February 2, 2003, 11:18 PM
I say go for it if the pay difference between it and what you do now isn't too great.

NewShooter78
February 2, 2003, 11:23 PM
I say go for it if it's what you want to do. I've got family and friends who are truckers so I hear you on wanting to get out. And being able to poke fun at yourself is a good way at releaving a little stress, so don't worry about being a mall ninja. And packing to boot, that's not so bad.

ENC
February 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
If you really want to make money start selling guns illegally. I bet you would get meet some very interesting people and it necessitates constant carry also. hehehee:evil:

longspurr
February 2, 2003, 11:34 PM
With these 2 options I say go with the mall ninja gig- the pay is regular and you can keep your ears open without losing money. I just don't see many folks making much money in the firearms business. [of course the firearms business is a lot more fun].

Being an armed mall security the first thing I would worry about is a level 3 security holster. The odds are you will need physical [and verbal] combat skills much more than bang toys.

Diesle
February 2, 2003, 11:41 PM
Impossible to say without knowing you... But, if its a lateral or better move pay wise, and your not really satisfied doing what your currently doing, why not. You can always take it as a stepping stone to the next one... And in the meantime, your involved with something that you have some passion for. Enforcement...

BTW, I know at most malls, security is mocked. My local mall is the Mall of America (1 mile away). The security team there is given quite a lot of respect. They are valued. The MOA is considered one of the top 10 domestic terrorist targets.

Diesle

coonan357
February 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
I really don't know if the pay will decrease that much as the last job was supposed to pay an average of 15 an hour , but some days It was 12 some it was 17 depending on the traffic and how the load paid . I ussually brought home 500 a week but that was for working over 70 hrs (yes I know it was illegal to work that many but ..)and the down time and rate decreases the company was pulling ment I worked longer for less pay . I wanted a career but wound up loosing what you would call a life . I think I would be better off in a 9 to 5 type job anyways healthwise.

BamBam
February 3, 2003, 01:59 AM
There is no shame in any job well-done.
We poke fun at mall ninjas when they take themselves too seriously.

Ever think of starting your own business?
I do access control (keypads, electric locking, etc.) and do pretty well. People really want this stuff nowadays. Start-up cost is minimal.

You can even work around your mall job untill you build a client base. Or keep the mall job and suppliment your income.

Just an Idea.

Good luck,
BamBam

Bob Locke
February 3, 2003, 02:30 AM
Have you ever thought about law enforcement from the prisoner management side of things? Your age shouldn't be an issue for a corrections officer, and if you've got any prior LE experience, I'm sure you'd get a more favorable look than someone just getting started.

Just a thought...

Kahr carrier
February 3, 2003, 06:45 AM
Follow your first instinct, if you think you would enjoy security work go for it. Good luck.:)

Lone Star
February 3, 2003, 08:16 AM
Be aware that the public in general, especially white collar people, don't think too highly of "guards". Being one for any length of time may compromise your ability to get more prestigeous jobs. I'm up against this right now. I've worked for some years in security, to enable me to write on the job at night, as I'm also a professional writer. Need the added income, as writing doesn't pay a lot, or consistently, unless one hits the big time, as did Tom Clancy.

I think I'm going to have a rough time finding a job in a bank, which is where I'll probably look first. When I worked security in banks, the female tellers tended to look down on security, as they saw the guard as being one of the few male positions that paid less and had less prestige than what they did. It's no doubt Politically Incorrect to say it, but women don't respect men who don't outrank them, as a rule. (Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions.) I have a much better education and am more intelligent than most of those tellers, and that attitude really grated at me.

Anyway, because too many security personnel over the years have been people who couldn't get anything better, the public usually regards guards as not being desirable for better employment, and having that work on a resume may not let you get as far as a personal interview that might let an interviewer see you as actually being a cut above what they'd expect from a "guard". Moreover, people don't realize what it takes to be in security if you have to handle many problems with the public, or where there's a real physical threat.

Lone Star

Tamara
February 3, 2003, 08:23 AM
Does Safariland even make an SSIII rig for a Coonan? :confused:

coonan357
February 3, 2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks Tam , that really make a Shi**y look a lot better, LMAO , no I am afraid the baby (coonan) would have to stay home , I would probabbly take my gp to work .or buy another gun they said something about Glock 22's yuck !! sorry my lunch goes in tupperware not my ammo .

Peetmoss
February 3, 2003, 05:15 PM
How bought working for an Amored Car company?

Nanook
February 3, 2003, 06:59 PM
Coonan, if you're interested in gun sales, check out MegaSports on Rt. 30 not far from you. They were hiring last time I was there. I'm not sure what they pay, though.

Marshall
February 3, 2003, 07:07 PM
Forget stereotypes! Do what you think you will enjoy best! Life is too short to spend 8-12 hours a day doing something you don't like! Add sleep to that and most of your waking life is spent in a negative way in your mind. Although, having any legal job is not a negative but, you get my point. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "a new job career??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!