Ever had an ND or an AD?

PDA

Andrew Rothman
March 13, 2004, 12:45 AM
Have you ever had a negligent discharge or an accidental discharge?

What happened? How long had you been shooting? How long have you been shooting now?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever had an ND or an AD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Andrew Rothman
March 13, 2004, 12:49 AM
I have been shooting seriously for a year -- about 20 range visits, I guess. I carry concealed every day. I have had neither.

KaceCoyote
March 13, 2004, 12:56 AM
Unfamilar rifle, I couldnt figure out why the magazine would load just perfect but it'd only drag half the round into the chamber then jam. Pulled the trigger with a thankfully otherwise empty chamber and -pop-....nobody was hurt but I really should've been more careful. Totally my own fault.

Ala Dan
March 13, 2004, 03:14 AM
One time, can't blame anyone but myself!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

NightWolfe
March 13, 2004, 03:19 AM
I've had 1 AD/ND since I started shooting .. and I'm gonna try my best to keep it that way ..

I was 8 years old, and it was the first or second time I was ever shooting .. my Uncle (a once very avid firearms collector) had taken me out in the Everglades where alot of people went to shoot .. he had explained all the safety and stuff to me .. but I still did it ..

He had a Ruger MkII .. he loaded it with only a round (but may have been a whole mag) and placed it flat on his open hand, muzzel downrange, and had me take it to shoot .. I grabbed it finger on the trigger and squeezed off a round while it was still in his hand ..

the round went off safetly downrange, but it scared the hell out of me .. I can still remember that clear as day .. and that was many moons ago ..

SDC
March 13, 2004, 04:07 AM
I've had an ND with a paintball gun (and I don't cut myself any slack for that), but I've also had an AD with a cheap 12-gauge pump; the firing-pin had broken in half, and when I went to unload it (hold the action release back and pump the shells out), the firing-pin spring wedged the forward part of the pin forward, firing the next shell out of the tube :eek:

duckfoot
March 13, 2004, 04:32 AM
Been shooting for over 18 years and never have had a AD or ND

gunsmith
March 13, 2004, 05:30 AM
Hi power clone
I had a round in the chamber,safety on.hammerback.
my finger grazed the trigger and KABLAMM!
It went through my boombox,which kept on playing!!! through the wall to my next door neighbors bed before it stopped.
I had been shooting for about 2 years when that unhappy incident occured,lucky for me my neighbor was a gunny who wasn't home and not upset about the hole in the wall.
second time a little cheap derringer fell off a table after a truck drove by and vibrated the house it shot a hole in the roof and scared the heck out of the kitty who stayed under the bed for 8 hours and had to be fed real salmon to overcome his post traumatic stress syndrome.
I once came home from a day at the range and work and went to clean my glock I took the mag out and racked the slide and was about to squeeze trigger when a little voice said "uh gunsmith,did you really look into the chamber to check for a round?" being as I allways obey the little voices I looked before squeezing the trigger,YIKES!!!
lucky for me,if I had pulled the trigger the gun would have shot in a safe direction,but my lawyer wife would have chewed me a new buttock for years and years and years,thanks little voices!

jsalcedo
March 13, 2004, 05:45 AM
POS single action .22 had a stuck cylinder while at the range.

Had the gun at half cock trying to spin the cylinder and unload the remaining rounds. Hammer notch slipped or sheared unexpectedly
firing off a round downrange scaring the crap out of me and blackening the fingers closesest ot the loading gate. Luckily the gun was pointing down range.

Gun was retired after that visit.

Other than that I had a bump fire with a Ruger P90 also down range

MuzzleBlast
March 13, 2004, 11:12 AM
I say again, NEVER try to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber with a HiPower or 1911.

M99M12
March 13, 2004, 11:14 AM
Tube-fed .22 bolt-action. Had an ND. A round hung up in the magazine, cycled the bolt a few times. Thought it was empty. I weren't watching the last time, pulled the trigger and put a bullet into the baseboard. Old house and the wood was tough. Didn't penetrate through. I was twelve and it was a serious education. It made me REAL careful.

Tamara
March 13, 2004, 11:30 AM
Been shooting 18 years, and haven't had one. Yet.

Been present for four in that period of time. Two of them happened to experienced shooters, one to a novice, and one to an unknown (customer in a shop I was working at.) One of the four was an honest-to-Vishnu AD. (A P7 slamfired.)

Baba Louie
March 13, 2004, 11:45 AM
Well, I will say that the S&W 29 I own has a REEEAAAALLL light SA trigger pull, and the first time I shot it in that fashion took me a mite by surprise in that I emasculated the B27 (low warning shot is what I prefer to call it) if ya know what I mean. Musta been around '91 or so. Been shooting since '63.

Travis McGee
March 13, 2004, 12:13 PM
No comment. (Nobody was hurt, nobody knew but me.)

PigPen
March 13, 2004, 12:24 PM
Sure! And I am sure (no matter how hard I try to the contrary) it will again! Therefore, never point the weapon at anything.......da- da-da-da-da.

I once took a pistol from it's storage box and as I explained to my 2 grandchildren never to point any firearm at anything .....(you know the one), I pointed it away from us toward the distant wall and shot a hole in the wall. It has aways been my practice to store them unloaded!!!

No one was more shocked than I. I never put firearms away loaded.......but someone (perhaps me) did this time.

PigPen

Firethorn
March 13, 2004, 01:01 PM
PigPen, I bet your kids got the idea from that one! I've been shooting for about 6 years, not including the few times that I shot as a kid. I haven't ever had a ND or AD, but I have seen others have it. Latest one was during an IPSC compition. Experienced shooter put a round in the rafters. Went right between the flourescent light bulds of the fixture. He didn't have an half-inch either way. Needless to say, he was DQ'd and got to be brass boy for the night.

The closest thing I've had is me losing count of my rounds, and going 'do I have another?' and shooting one more aimed shot down range. Or getting a dry fire.

wingman
March 13, 2004, 01:08 PM
In over 50 years of firearms had two nd's in my youth, while I hope all of us
work hard to prevent it I expect it happens more often then one would think,
(Yeh, I know those are worm holes in the police station locker room.:D )

Doc
March 14, 2004, 09:52 PM
someone has in their sig file here at THR:

"The two worst sounds are a 'click' when you expect 'bang'
and a 'bang' when you expect 'click'

i was at the range. i was done. i had cleared my weapon and removed the magazine.
i wanted to leave the range with the hammer down (on my glock 23).
so i took aim at the backstop focused on the front sight, slowly squeezed the trigger...
BANG

the hot brass fell down the empty magazine well and was cupped between
my waiting hands (briefly).

i assumed a casual 'I meant to do that' look,
DOUBLE CHECKED THE WEAPON WAS EMPTY
locked the slide to the rear
packed up and left the range!
blushing and sheepish

only two kinds of gun people: those who have had ND, and those who will
(discounting liars, of course)

zahc
March 14, 2004, 10:07 PM
I've been shooting about 12 years; never.

tc300mag1
March 14, 2004, 10:11 PM
Never Have was around soemone when they did and wasnt to happy about it

Range Ninja
March 14, 2004, 10:28 PM
Been shooting for 12 years and haven't had either a ND or AD.:D Knock on wood.

7.62FullMetalJacket
March 14, 2004, 10:40 PM
Zero, zip, nada in 30 years. I am anal when around loaded firearms even though I carry one every day.

RocketMan
March 14, 2004, 11:08 PM
Not yet.
And I hope "yet" is not the operative word.

Parker Dean
March 14, 2004, 11:12 PM
ND downrange. Sorta.

I was raising the gun to fire after a reload and somehow almost lost my grip as I was "settling in". In the reaction I managed to click the slide safety off while simultaneously putting my finger on the trigger. I'm still not sure how that particular sequence of events came about. Anyway that resulted in one round being discharged about 45 degrees elevated and 30 or so degrees to the right. I packed up and went home.

After examining my target later it became obvious that I just wasn't mentally focused that day. My groups looked like I had been using a shotgun. I'm not the best by a long way but shotgun groups are not normal for me either.

QuarterBoreGunner
March 14, 2004, 11:22 PM
Well, I've always subscribed to the old "there's those that have and those that will" theory; it's never happened to me but the odds are it will eventually. But the odds also are pretty good that I’ll have it pointed in a safe direction and nothing will be hurt other than my pride.

I’ve come close though, cleared a chamber or opened a cylinder that I knew was empty… and guess what? It wasn’t.

Fingers crossed.

Tango Sierra
March 14, 2004, 11:31 PM
Had my first ND last year at the age of 56. I fired a round into the ground 3-4 feet in front of me. I purposely pointed the gun in a safe direction but not in a place or time where I should have pulled the trigger on what I thought was a empty gun.

Dienekes
March 15, 2004, 12:00 AM
There are those who have (which includes me) and those who willl. If the gun is at least pointed in a safe direction then it's just a huge embarassment and lesson in humility. Never say never.

Case in point. A Gunsite student , according to a press report, shot and killed his friend in a Prescott motel room the other day while doing his assigned "homework" of presentations. The problem was that 1: the weapon was in fact loaded; and 2. he pointed it at his friend.

I guarantee you that he was emphatically told the four basic safety rules at the beginning of the class.

Dammit, they are not toys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever had an ND or an AD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!