Ar 15 Bushmaster problems, Help

PDA

witojr
March 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hi, my New Carbon 15 won't fire. I cleaned oiled and took apart and back together. Look at the shell and donsen't seem like the pin is touching the bullet case. Please tell me what can I do. This is my first rifle! Thanks:(

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar 15 Bushmaster problems, Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
March 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
Firing pin is in front of or behind the firing pin retaining pin?

Tip of firing pin is rounded and not broken off?

New rifle or new to you?

BSW

CLP
March 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Heh, are you sure you even reinstalled the firing pin?

witojr
March 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
New to me and new rifle. The retainind pin? where needs to be at?

Krusty783
March 11, 2013, 05:00 PM
First, do a function test to make sure your rifle is properly re-assembled (given that this is your first rifle).

If it passes the function test, check that the hammer spring is installed correctly. Here's a thread on ar15.com with pics of what it should look like: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=500235

Edit: What source did you use to strip and re-assemble the rifle and are you positive that you reassembled it correctly.

witojr
March 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
looks like I did and put the retaining pin to hold it in place

witojr
March 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
Yes the hamer spring is installed correctly

briansmithwins
March 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
How does the tip of the firing pin look?

Does the bolt close all the way?

BSW

witojr
March 11, 2013, 05:07 PM
looks good, no damage. How do I know if bolt close all the way? also how far the pin should stick out to the front of the BC?

briansmithwins
March 11, 2013, 08:06 PM
Separate the upper from the lower. Pull the BCG back slightly using your finger and then push it closed. The BCG back should line up with the rear of the upper receiver without much resistance. You should also see the bolt rotate as the bolt carrier finishes closing.

The FP should slightly protrude from the face of the bolt when the bolt is in the closed position.

Also, try and post some pics of the parts you've got.

BSW

MistWolf
March 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
Before loading the rifle, lock the bolt back then return the charging handle all the way forward and set the safety. Insert the magazine and press the bolt release and let it slam home. That will properly load a round into the chamber.

Some folks will insert the mag, pull the charging handle back and ride the bolt forward. Riding the bolt forward prevents the round from being properly chambered. If the bolt is even slightly out of battery, the firing pin will be blocked from making contact with the primer to prevent a catastrophic kaboom from occuring

hentown
March 12, 2013, 09:50 AM
I'd bet that Mistwolf is on to something. Don't ride the bolt forward! I rarely use the bolt release, but do pull the charging handle all the way back and release it abruptly.

holdencm9
March 12, 2013, 11:06 AM
Pics of your completed BCG would be helpful.

If you are not sure the bolt closed all the way, a little push on the forward assist should give you confirmation.

The firing pin needs to be in all the way and stick out a tiny bit when the bolt is closed and you push in on the firing pin. The retainer pin needs to be behind the firing pin. The FP should be completely shrouded by the BC. It is possible to not have the FP in all the way and then insert the retainer pin in front of the knob on the FP and then you won't be able to fire. The FP also won't be retained, and it will fall out quite easily. It is also possible the tip of your FP is busted and won't be able to protrude through the bolt to strike the primer.

If you cycle the bolt manually, do the rounds chamber and eject fine?

adelbridge
March 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
did you buy this rifle new or used? take a picture of the primer of the round that failed to fire. What type of ammo is it? I have seen pointed soft point ammo shave off lead and deposit it on breech face preventing the bolt from fully closing. It could also be a bad magazine but not likely. Hand load a round directly into chamber and close bolt. Also push on the forward assist and see if there is any forward movement.

MrCleanOK
March 13, 2013, 03:36 AM
I'm putting my money on Mistwolf's recommendation. Sounds like symptoms of riding the charging handle and trying to fire with the bolt out of battery.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar 15 Bushmaster problems, Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!