Powder Measure/Single Stage - RCBS Chargemaster Combo?

PDA

Triumph
March 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
The one thing I'm missing from my Single Stage set up is a Powder Measure.

I am tempted by the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. I like the idea of weighing each load. My Aunt agreed to buy some of the gear so I wont have to foot the entire bill.

I do have a good manual scale & know it will always have a place.

Any other ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Measure/Single Stage - RCBS Chargemaster Combo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KansasSasquatch
March 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
I don't see a Chargemaster being necessary unless you are loading for a benchrest rifle or dealing with a really sensitive case like 5.7x28.

dsm
March 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
If someone is buying, definitely get a Chargemaster. I had one and they are good. I regret getting rid of it.

Triumph
March 11, 2013, 10:13 PM
KansasSasquatch I don't see a Chargemaster being necessary unless you are loading for a benchrest rifle or dealing with a really sensitive case like 5.7x28.

No on both counts. It was just attractive from the standpoint of dispensing powder & weighing each load.

Flatbush Harry
March 11, 2013, 10:44 PM
I have a ChargeMaster Combo...and love it.

FH

jotjackson
March 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
I have had one for two years. Great investment! Great tool.

jjjitters
March 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
I have one of the earlier ones, I got it for loading 22-250 and .243 long range praire dog'in. I wanted to keep my charges accurate but didn't want the time to weigh each on my beam scale. It still works great, a bit slow(the newer ones can be turned up), but accurate and didn't creep up or down even after 500-600 rounds in a session.

Triumph
March 11, 2013, 11:24 PM
I was just thinking of the alternative - Powder Dispenser, trickler and scale. It seems the Chargemaster would be much easier.

cfullgraf
March 11, 2013, 11:42 PM
The RCBS Chargemaster is a god unit.

I have a PACT dispenser/scale combination. It is great for working up loads where I change the powder charge every 5 or so cases.

Otherwise it is too slow for general reloading once I have developed my load. My Redding 10-X, RCBS Uniflow, Harrel Precision, and Midway indispensable powder measures are more than accurate enough. There is no need to weigh each charge.

vtail
March 12, 2013, 12:46 AM
I use the Chargemaster combo. 95% of the time I just use the scale, but the dispenser is there if I need it.

$289 at Natchez.

How are you coming on your other stuff?

Triumph
March 12, 2013, 12:54 AM
I use the Chargemaster combo. 95% of the time I just use the scale, but the dispenser is there if I need it.

$289 at Natchez.

How are you coming on your other stuff?

Everything is on the way. Found a CoAx at Gunstop in MN. Primers, bullets all inbound. Not sure when the 550B arrives but will play on the CoAx first.

Settled on 8lb of Promo powder for pistols (cant find W231/HP38 or much else). I will use Red Dot loading data (by weight since promo differs in volume).

Looking forward to getting started.

OldTex
March 12, 2013, 01:27 AM
I got a ChargeMaster a few months ago and really like it. For 30 years I just used an RCBS Uniflow or Harrell powder measure, weighing a charge ever so often to make sure I was still on. For the best ammo, I weighed every charge. Now it's easier to weigh every charge if I want to, but it's still pretty slow for any kind of volume work.

If you think this is overkill, check out the Prometheus units at several thousand dollars. Sensitive down to the single grain of powder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqNcs-uWzY

For those with a ChargeMaster Combo, you can adjust its basic programming to make it run faster and also more precisely. Just adding a little piece of Whataburger straw to the dispenser tube can make it run better. Just google the subject and there are many sources of info. I did it to mine in less than an hour from the time I started reading. It works. And if you screw up, it's reversible by just having it return to default settings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Measure/Single Stage - RCBS Chargemaster Combo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!