Sight Set Question

PDA

9mmepiphany
March 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
I usually just shoot whichever sights come on a gun...except Glocks...fairly well, with the only usual modification being blacking out any rear dots. But I've gotten to the point with my M&P9 that the factory sights aren't cutting it anymore...so I decided to replace them.

I vaguely remember a mathematical equation to determine impact deltas corresponding to sight height deltas, but I'm having a brain fart...plus I've gotten pretty lazy over the years. So, onto my question.

I've been looking at the 10-8 sight set which says that the correct pairing for the full size M&P is a .160" front sight (fiber optic)...I'm looking at a .100" width. So I happen to be on Speed Shooter's Specialties and found they they sell the 10-8 rear for a bit less...and I can save on shipping when combining it with other purchases.

But they don't carry the 10-8 front sight set. What they offer are front sights by Dawson Precision..OK, they're a good company. But they don't offer a .160" front sight in the .100" width...they do have a .115" wide in .160" height

What they do offer in the .100" width is .155" or .170".

The question would be how much impact change would you expect, at 20-25 yards (IDPA), with a front sight that is either .005" taller or shorter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sight Set Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
March 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
Dawson Precision provides a page for it on their site that explains the equation:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeightChooser.png

9mmepiphany
March 13, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks.

That was relatively painless, especially using Reverse Polish Notation in my HP calculator (yup, I'm old)

So, I'm only looking at a POI change of .55" @ 20 yards. I'm thinking a little high is better than a little low...plus, who'd notice in a 3" group ;)

waktasz
March 15, 2013, 04:41 PM
They will make you whatever height you need, assuming they already make the width you require.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sight Set Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!