Any Springfield XD owners and grip safety

PDA

Droid noob
March 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
I was curious if any of you who own or shot an XD(m) ever had it not go bang because the grip safety wasnt depressed?

I've often heard people shying away from springfield because of the grip safety and the chance it may fail you in a bad situation. I was just curious if anyone has had this happen while just plinking at the range.

I used to have an xd40 and it shot great. I eventually traded it for a smaller pistol though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Springfield XD owners and grip safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Kramer
March 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Never had a problem with it. The 1911 has had this design for over 100 years and for some reason it never comes up unless its on an XD.

vent51177
March 12, 2013, 07:26 PM
I had an XDM and never once had a problem with it.

Never had a problem with the grip safety on a 1911 either.

In my experience if you are not depressing the grip safety then you are holding the gun wrong.

XD_45ACP
March 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
I own a Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP and LOVE it! I opted for the XD over the XDM due to the huge price increase with the XDM series. My next purchase for a conceal carry will be the XDs in 9mm (soon to be released)!!! In my opinion, the XDs in .45 caliber is too much gun for the small frame.

I have never had a misfire or any jams or problems with the grip safety. These pistols are made to last.

Droid noob
March 12, 2013, 07:48 PM
The scenarios I always hear are the hand being injured somehow. One thing I enjoyed about it was reholstering.

rcmodel
March 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
NO problem.

If you don't have a proper grip on the gun, then it won't fire.

But thats why it has a grip safety in the first place.

It also prevents the slide getting pushed back and partially unloading itself when re-holstering.

As Martha would say, It's a Good Thing.

rc

Ehtereon11B
March 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
I have never had a weapon with a grip safety not go bang because I wasn't gripping it hard enough. Except when I "test" the safety to make sure it works with a cleared weapon. I like grip safeties with only 2 consenting points:

a)make a conscious effort to clean it
b)grip safeties make it harder to get certain grips

Otherwise just practice a good, solid hold. Your hand will depress the safety and all will be good.

chrisb507
March 12, 2013, 08:51 PM
Another vote for "never had a problem." I have two XDMs; I haven't had one issue in about 3K rounds.

labhound
March 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
I have an XD45 4" Service model. Excellent gun. Never had a problem with the grip safety. When shooting it I never even think about the grip safety.

76shuvlinoff
March 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
On my 3rd XD, never any mechanical issue let alone a grip safety issue.

Bobo
March 12, 2013, 09:22 PM
I have an XDm, never had a problem with the grip safety or anything else, 568 rounds through it.

Bobo

Valkman
March 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have 2 XD45's and I buy them over a Glock-type gun because they have the grip safety. I've never had them not work and it's not something I'd worry about.

The Lone Haranguer
March 12, 2013, 10:06 PM
From the brief time I shot one as a rental, I would say you'd have to hold it really poorly to not depress the grip safety.

Sam1911
March 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
I've put many tens of thousands through my xDM in all kinds of competition conditions and never had this supposed problem.

Hunter991
March 12, 2013, 10:24 PM
I have 2 xd's and never had any issue. Like its not even there. Have the xds now and same thing.

TCBPATRIOT
March 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
I have both the XD Tactical and the XDm and they have fired every time that I have had the proper grip on them.

chris in va
March 13, 2013, 12:33 AM
I was curious if any of you who own or shot an XD(m) ever had it not go bang because the grip safety wasnt depressed?

Yup, it's one reason why I got rid of it. My hands are too large for the 9mm version.

BTW those of you trying to compare it to the 1911, it's much smaller, shorter and more difficult to disengage. Mine had to be fully flush for the gun to fire.

mnhntr
March 13, 2013, 12:36 AM
Own 1911s and just picked up an XDM, all of them go bang when they are supposed to.

JohnsXDM
March 13, 2013, 01:22 AM
If you are having problems you can get an over sized safety here. http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/main.sc

MrCleanOK
March 13, 2013, 02:22 AM
I have never had a problem with mine. The claims of grip safety problems are usually attributed to non-standard training drills (i.e., malfunction clearance with the weak hand only). If you are just looking for a casual/range/plinking/woods gun, the slim chance of this kind of grip safety problem shouldn't turn you off of the XD pistols. Mine have been accurate and boringly reliable.

Chris in VA, you must have some gorilla hands. My hands are pretty big too (I wear a size 14 flight glove), and I have never had a problem with the grip safety.

Okie45
March 13, 2013, 04:05 AM
I've never had a problem. My XDM doesn't need pressed very far to work. Have also shot the xd9sc numorous times without a problem. I've never had a problem with any 1911 either. I like the grip safety, it gives me a little more safety when holstering IWB that it isn't going to go off so long as I keep my hand off the grip safety.

MyGreenGuns
March 13, 2013, 04:47 AM
Thousands of rounds thru my XD9. Many people have used it. Backstrap safety has alway worked as it should.

If its an issue for someone: get an uncle mikes grip sleve for a glock. it will cover the safety and keep it disengaged. (I have one on my gun but cut out a section for safety to function normally.)

critter
March 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
XDs-NEVER a problem.

AethelstanAegen
March 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
I've never had a problem with my XD, my 1911 or my S&W "Lemon Squeezer." I think reports that a grip safety will let you down are hugely exaggerated. There's no conceivable way I can see to grip my pistols so that they don't depress the grip safety. You'd really have to be trying at it to cause such a malfunction.

mljdeckard
March 13, 2013, 01:25 PM
Nope, never. Nor my wife.

SwissArmyDad
March 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
nope had my XD9 tactical for years. Never an issue.

TimboKhan
March 13, 2013, 03:29 PM
I am not gonna say no one has a problem with it, but I never have and I have big hands too. For the most part, I think this is one of those internet issues that gets propagated by people who dont have a clue.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

verdun59
March 13, 2013, 03:50 PM
XD9 here with thousands of rounds and no problems, of any sort. I think it's might be a myth started by Glock owners.......

matrem
March 13, 2013, 04:53 PM
A few thousand rounds through the two I currently own, many more through other various XDs from "M"s to "S"s, yet to have a problem with the grip safety.

In fact, the only grip safety issue I ever had was with a 3" 1911 doing weak hand drills. In all fairness though, that was when my "weak" hand was "really" weak, and an XD may not have proved any better in that situation.

bogon48
March 13, 2013, 09:23 PM
XDM Compact in .45 ACP - no problems.

mic_poo
March 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
A guy in my IDPA squad one night had an issue. I don't remember the exact details on the stage, but it was a fast stage, and with the position he was attempting to fire from, he didn't get his XDm safety fully depressed. probably cost him 0.5s or so.

I have an xdm 4.5 and have never had an issue.

miles1
March 14, 2013, 03:05 AM
XD 45 that ive had for 2 years with No problems.

CGT80
March 14, 2013, 03:33 AM
My mom has an XD 9 Service as her competition gun. She had problems with the grip safety not being depressed with a normal grip. I pulled the safety out of the gun and TIG welded some filler into the center of it, then reshaped it, and reinstalled. It looks stock to everyone, until it is held up to my XD, and then you can see a bit of material added. It makes all of the difference in the world, but still fully functions as intended. At that time, there wasn't an aftermarket option for a different grip safety.

My brother and I don't have any problems with the grip safety on our XD guns.

TG13
March 14, 2013, 07:14 AM
never had a problem with my XD45's grip safety.. in fact, i think it's too easy to depress, i'd prefer a bit more resistance to it..

the whole XD grip safety issue, is really a non-issue..

herkyguy
March 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
XDsc9mm, XDm 5.25, and XDs. Never had a problem with any of them.

Roadking Rider
March 14, 2013, 09:35 AM
OP
I've never had a problem with a grip safety either. If I had to guess I'd say you have been talking to Glock fanboys, and there the ones who have been telling you about this so called Myth of a grip safety problem. They've been talking that unfounded nonsense for years. As you can tell by the previous reply's from actual gun owners who's guns have grip safeties, it's pure rhetoric.
Look up how many cases of Glock leg or accidental discharges and deaths have been reported from Glock pistols going off when they wern't supposed to..( I'm no hater, I own a GlocK). Then check how many Grip safety failures have been reported.( I also own a XD and a 1911.)
Grip safeties have been on 1911's for over 100 years. They fought in every battle from WWI, WWII, Korea, to VN, and whole lot of places in between and in all sorts of climates and weather conditions. If they were a problem don't these Myth talkers think they would have fixed it by now, or done away with them altogether? ;)Just keeping things real.

bigfatdave
March 14, 2013, 09:51 AM
No.

Finding a way to grip the weapon and NOT activate the grip interlock is difficult.
I've tested it with my 2XL hands and so has the Mrs with her medium size hands.

That's with a XD45c, an XD(s), and an XD9sc

DrDeFab
March 14, 2013, 11:46 AM
I have an XD-9, XD-45 and an XDm-9 5.25. Never had any issues at all, and the grip safety is one of the last items that I think would be a problem. It also seems less likely to be a problem than a 1911's. (...not that I've ever had a problem with those either, but I can at least imagien how some people might have an issue with older 1911s.) If the XD grip size isn't ideal for you, get the XDm.

InkEd
March 14, 2013, 11:57 AM
Never had a problem with it. Owned one now for several years. If you want (don't see the need really) there are aftermarket ones that stick-out further for easier engagement.

EBK
March 15, 2013, 06:07 PM
"The scenarios I always hear are the hand being injured somehow"

This.

There was a guy on ar15.com who posted his story along with pictures of both him and the perp that tried to rob him and his lawyer friends.. the poster was unable to fire a second shot with his 1911 because he had been shot in the hand. he was eventually able to fire more shots however lucky for him the perp had unloaded his 5 shot .38 revolver loaded with speer +P and only hit the poster in his hand. Perp caught 2 .45 slugs in the stomach.

bigfatdave
March 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Shot in both hands?

If your hand is so borked that you can't depress a properly functioning grip safety, you should probably switch hands.

GarySTL
March 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
I have two XDs and an XDm, no grip safety issues at all.

matrem
March 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Shot in both hands?

There was a guy on ar15.com

C'mon Dave, you know how just how truthful those arfcom guys are.. dontcha?

basicblur
March 15, 2013, 09:12 PM
XDSC9 and XDSC40 (pre-Melonite) - never a problem.

Methinks a LOT of 'Net experts that don't like the grip safety are probably just XD haters (or X lovers).

I'd be willing to bet a lot of those folks griping 'bout the grip safety on the XD said nary a thing 'bout their 1911s over the years?

AethelstanAegen
March 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
the poster was unable to fire a second shot with his 1911 because he had been shot in the hand

If he was injured enough to have failed to depress the safety, he probably would have limp-wristed a Glock, so I think the only thing we can conclude from the example is that if you get shot in the hand, you're going to have trouble shooting any gun well. I really don't see it being a problem.

TimboKhan
March 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
Of the 45 posts, 42 report this being a non-issue, we have 2 reported issues and one that involves getting shot through both hands, which I daresay means no gun would be easy to manipulate. Can we call this one done without me or someone else needing to close this?

Clinton
March 16, 2013, 12:35 AM
Do they make an alternate mod for the xd that if you push down on a tab instead of in on the mag release. I have smaller hands and is a paint to eject a mag. Looking for a mod for that.

Clinton

Sam Cade
March 16, 2013, 12:48 AM

It happened.

The member was BLITZ308.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=988015&page=1

EBK
March 16, 2013, 10:18 AM

When the post includes photos of crime scene and perp in hospital cuffed tot he bed and a news report among other things yea I would say its credible.

As for the shot in both hands comment. You would have to ask the guy.

EBK
March 16, 2013, 10:20 AM
Of the 45 posts, 42 report this being a non-issue, we have 2 reported issues and one that involves getting shot through both hands, which I daresay means no gun would be easy to manipulate. Can we call this one done without me or someone else needing to close this?
He was only shot in his strong hand. I dont know why he didnt move to the weak hand you would have to ask him.

Just re read the thread I you are correct he was shot in both hands. However He does mention the reason he was unable to fire is ecause he couldnt depress the grip saftey on his 1911.

For the record I still carry a 1911 from time to time.

EBK
March 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
It happened.

The member was BLITZ308.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=988015&page=1
Thank you.

bikerbill
March 16, 2013, 01:41 PM
I owned an XD-40, currently have an XDm-9 and an XDs; have never had an issue with the grip safety ...

Kiln
March 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
I've got two XDM's with several thousand rounds through each of them, never a single issue.

The people who complain about the grip safety are simply looking for something to complain about (what if scenario lovers) or they've never actually held an XD/XDM and THINK it is an issue.

The grip safety is very light and easy to deactivate. If you've got a normal grip on the gun it is a non issue.

golden
March 16, 2013, 03:36 PM
My XD Sub Compact has never had any problems with the grip safety. In fact, I think that the well shaped grip makes it very difficult for that to occur.

The XD series are excellent guns and I recommend them highly.

Jim

Sam Cade
March 16, 2013, 03:43 PM
He was only shot in his strong hand.

Note that he was shot in both hands. Off hand first.

jmr40
March 16, 2013, 03:44 PM

45 posts is statistically insignificant. Of course you will never have an issue as long as the grip safety is depressed. The problem happens when you are unable to depress the grip safety. Shooting at the range is not the same as being in a life or death street fight.

In the real world you may find yourself with no other choice but to fire from some very unorthodox positions you will never practice at a range because they would be too dangerous. How are you going to use your gun with your face in the dirt with an attacker on your back beating you in the head. You don't practice for that at the range.

Quite a few guns are deployed when the victim is on the ground with an attacker on top pinning them to the ground. You may already be wounded with a gun covered in blood, mud, or sweat and with broken fingers. You could be moments from passing out and need to fire the gun with some other finger with no possibility of a "proper" grip.

1911's have failed to fire under the same type of situations because the gun owners could not operate the grip safety. There is a reason 1911 grip safeties were often taped down or disabled by lawmen years ago. The XD safety is even more likely to fail because of its design, but it has not been around long enough for many, if any documented cases. It is also almost never used by professionals who are likely to be in this situation.

Yea, I know I just described an extreme situation that may never happen to you. But this type of scenario is more likely to happen than any accidental discharge being prevented by a grip safety. I still say grip safety's are more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you need it to fire, than when you don't want it to fire.

The idea of grip safeties have been around for a while. It was stuck on the 1911 because of governmental bureaucracy, not because John Browning felt it was needed. It is on the XD to sell guns to people afraid of Glocks. Over the last 100+ years no other major gun maker has felt it was needed.

JB357MAG
March 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
I have an XD9 Subcompact and its been absolutely flawless!

No issues at all.

Jimmy

Kiln
March 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
45 posts is statistically insignificant. Of course you will never have an issue as long as the grip safety is depressed. The problem happens when you are unable to depress the grip safety. Shooting at the range is not the same as being in a life or death street fight.

In the real world you may find yourself with no other choice but to fire from some very unorthodox positions you will never practice at a range because they would be too dangerous. How are you going to use your gun with your face in the dirt with an attacker on your back beating you in the head. You don't practice for that at the range.

Quite a few guns are deployed when the victim is on the ground with an attacker on top pinning them to the ground. You may already be wounded with a gun covered in blood, mud, or sweat and with broken fingers. You could be moments from passing out and need to fire the gun with some other finger with no possibility of a "proper" grip.

1911's have failed to fire under the same type of situations because the gun owners could not operate the grip safety. There is a reason 1911 grip safeties were often taped down or disabled by lawmen years ago. The XD safety is even more likely to fail because of its design, but it has not been around long enough for many, if any documented cases. It is also almost never used by professionals who are likely to be in this situation.

Yea, I know I just described an extreme situation that may never happen to you. But this type of scenario is more likely to happen than any accidental discharge being prevented by a grip safety. I still say grip safety's are more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you need it to fire, than when you don't want it to fire.

The idea of grip safeties have been around for a while. It was stuck on the 1911 because of governmental bureaucracy, not because John Browning felt it was needed. It is on the XD to sell guns to people afraid of Glocks. Over the last 100+ years no other major gun maker has felt it was needed.
This is one of the "what if" scenarios I posted about. There are lots of situations that can easily be conjured up when talking about "what if".

What if the firing pin breaks when you try to fire? What if a trigger spring fails and leaves the gun useless? What if you got an overloaded box of ammo and your gun explodes on the first shot? What if you're fighting in a sandstorm and you're out of ammo and your gun is polymer so it isn't as good for pistol whipping people?

To say "what if you're shot through both hands and you can't use the grip safety" is ridiculous. It is highly unlikely that you'll ever be in that exact situation. It is highly unlikely that you'll ever actually deploy your gun.

It is highly unlikely that if you're bleeding, covered in sweat, and shot through both hands, that the grip safety is going to be your biggest problem.

KTXdm9
March 16, 2013, 11:11 PM
No issues here. Guns have lots of moving parts that can fail, grip safety or otherwise. I actually like the grip safety as an extra precaution when holstering.

herkyguy
March 17, 2013, 08:43 AM
No issues here. Guns have lots of moving parts that can fail, grip safety or otherwise. I actually like the grip safety as an extra precaution when holstering.
i am the same way. it's personal preference really, and lots of folks say they don't need the extra safety margin. i prefer it though and have nothing but good thigns to say about my XD collection.

TheDaywalkersDad
March 17, 2013, 04:46 PM
I have the 4.5" & 5.25" versions in 9mm. The 4.5" has at least 2,000 rnds through it and I broke 1,000 rnds in the 5.25" version around Christmas.
I've never had any issues with either gun. Several new shooters have learned to shoot with my XDMs and no one has had a problem with the grip safeties.

There's only one thing that I feel is worth mentioning. I have a lot of guns (probably not to some of you guys) and I have to slightly rotate the pistol in my hand in order to reach the slide lock with most of them. This is especially true with M1911's.
The ergonomics are really good with the Springfield. I don't have to rotate the XDM at all in order to reach the slide lock but find myself doing it out of habit if I've been shooting M1911's that day. The problem is that when I shift my grip on the gun, I'm not pressing the grip safety enough to depress it. That means that I cannot rack the slide as it doesn't move if the grip safety isn't depressed.
This is a training issue not a problem with the handgun or the grip safety. I only find myself doing this after a long period of M1911 shooting.

KenW.
March 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
I've owned four; XD9sc, XD40sc, XD45c, and an XDM40c. I've tried to induce every type of failure I could. No luck.

To try to fire it with your hand too low on the grip is simply not realistic in any sense.

breakingcontact
March 18, 2013, 01:35 AM
It's probably just the Glock guys throwing shade at the XD and XD fans.

Sport45
March 18, 2013, 01:45 AM
No problems shooting mine with either hand and neither of my sons have had trouble with it either.

Ya know, even with both hands injured I think I could find a way to shoot a XD or 1911 if I had to. Even if I had to depress the safety with the thumb of one hand while working the trigger with my other hand.

mjsdwash
March 18, 2013, 02:16 AM
no experience with the xd, but love the 1911 grip safety, no problems... if it dont work, your doing it wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Springfield XD owners and grip safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!