The Panic Is Slowing

PDA

109Hammer
March 12, 2013, 10:12 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but i'm starting to see more components hit the shelves and online. I think the panic buying is slowing.

Lets all take a breath and not just buy up everything we see. I've started to "pass" on a lot of stuff so others can get what they need.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Panic Is Slowing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
March 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
folks eventually run out of disposable income

USSR
March 12, 2013, 10:45 PM
Lets all take a breath and not just buy up everything we see. I've started to "pass" on a lot of stuff so others can get what they need.

Very noble of you.:rolleyes: However, if I see something that I want or need, I am going to buy it.

Don

lakecitybrass
March 12, 2013, 11:01 PM
I recently sold a thousand primers to a friend and charged him what I paid for them a couple of years ago - $18. I suppose some other folks I know would consider that to be odd, but I won't play my friends.

I also scored an 8 pound jug of 8208 today for $150 plus hazmat & shipping. I had a good day. I won't need powder for a couple of years or more now.

PhotoBiker
March 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
When I can go to my LGS and find:

22LR (not shotshell)
&&
Any Powder

In stock...

Then I will believe it is slowing.

Otto
March 12, 2013, 11:20 PM
It may be slowing but another mass shooting could change everything in a matter of minutes...so I buy accordingly.

joeschmoe
March 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
Great! What's the price of 55 gr FMJ at MidwayUSA?

"Out of Stock, No backorder".

So what lead you to believe this was true?

JohnnyK
March 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
there IS an expected by date that keeps moving further and further to the future on Midway... yeah... when I can see more than 20 guage at wally world... then I'll believe it... I called my local wally world today and asked for sporting goods so I won't waste gas for an empty trip... the operator said "we don't have any ammunition... and I don't know when we'll have anymore"...

Reefinmike
March 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
It seems you can piece together a pretty complete order online for almost anything you want besides 223 powder and bullets if ya dont mind multiple hazmat charges. Ive spoken with a few people in the past week and they all tell me a lgs has almost any pistol powder, many rifle powders, spp, srp, lpp and lrp all in stock. and get this- "normal" prices. $35/k primers and $18-20/lb powder. wont go there though, they were the last gun store in the area to loose my business. arrogant people that arent willing to help.

another store I stopped visiting because of $90 bricks of 22lr
another store I stopped visiting because $100/k primers
and yet another I was in picking up a ffl'd 1911, casually mentioned that I dont know if I could trust myself carrying a 1911( SAO and relying on a safety scares me). he then proceded to draw his 1911 and muzzle sweep me and another customer mumbling something along the lines of "i been carryin this fawdy fie fer 35 years, and you are saying it isnt safe" I grabbed my gun and got out of there asap.

rg1
March 13, 2013, 01:27 AM
The number of shoppers definitely has slowed BECAUSE they have tired of visiting local shops to see the empty shelfs. And everyone else is scanning the web reloading sites just to check if NO BACKORDERS has been removed from the bullets and primers they are seeking. This is gonna last for a long long while!

joeschmoe
March 13, 2013, 01:28 AM
I wonder what my bags of Hornady 5.56 bullets is worth right now?

Anmut
March 13, 2013, 01:37 AM
Tax returns are slowing and the income to buy en mass is slowing as well. However people are still buying and hoarding what they can find - and will be for a long time now I think.

Jesse Heywood
March 13, 2013, 01:48 AM
It hasn't slowed here. At a gun show this weekend 22 lr was selling for $60 a brick. 223 was selling for $1 a round.

joneb
March 13, 2013, 02:22 AM
I am still trying to wrap my head around DHS's order of 1.6 billion rounds :confused: Does anyone know what cartridges and how many are HPs ?
DHS says for training ? If DHS used 1.6 million rounds per year for training, they would have a 1,000 years worth of ammo. And again why train with HPs ?
I think this could be why people are a little unnerved.

jr_roosa
March 13, 2013, 02:34 AM
there IS an expected by date that keeps moving further and further to the future on Midway

I suspect that these dates are either made up, or projected by some computer algorithm. They seem to change randomly, and then suddenly the item becomes available before the date hits. For some federal .22LR, there are different dates for 50s, 500s, and 5000s, even though the stuff comes by the 5000s.

I think they also have an algorithm to see when the dates become silly, or the backorder list piles up, and that prompts the "no backorder."

I can't imagine that they do the whole thing by hand.

Oh, and now all of us in Colorado need to stock up on magazines that we don't really need because it looks like on July 1st we won't be able to buy any more 20s and 30s. There are enough of us to take a chunk out of the national inventory if everybody here buys 10 or 20 mags.

DHS's order of 1.6 billion rounds

I thought it wasn't an order, but more like an option to buy at a specific price over the long term. If anything, that might stabilize the market when they decide they don't really need as much as they thought. Even if they buy it all, it makes it much more likely that manufacturers will increase production capacity more than they would for a few months of panic buying.

-J.

ngnrd
March 13, 2013, 03:39 AM
Around here, I think a lot of the casual shooters have either bought what they want/need, have run out of funds, or have realized that they have better things to do than hang out at the LGS just to stare at empty shelves. What little 22LR that does show up still doesn't stick around long, but the crowds hanging out waiting for the freight truck to show up seem to be thinning out. So as stock does come in, it is actually sitting on the shelves for more than three minutes.

I walked through Sportsman's Warehouse today and there were several types of powder on the shelf, mostly IMR and Hodgdon, along with most sizes of primers. There wasn't a whole lot of any one type, and I don't know how long it will last, but it was a definite departure from the last few months, when those things wouldn't even make it to the shelves before people snatched 'em up. I was even able to pick up some 22WMR for the Single Six I bought this weekend while I was there.

So yeah, I'm not naive enough to think it's over yet. But there are signs that supply may be starting to catch up with demand - at least around here.

joeschmoe
March 13, 2013, 04:09 AM
Just remember that there are a lot of us who are NOT new and have been holding off on purchases because of the current shortages. I know I'm not alone in refusing to stand in line for the privilege of paying several times last years price for no reason other than temporary shortage. I have ammo, no reason to panic.

When supplies do finally return to normal we will go out and buy again. I bought in bulk before and plan to do so again. Just not now.

kingmt
March 13, 2013, 07:54 AM
I am still trying to wrap my head around DHS's order of 1.6 billion rounds :confused: Does anyone know what cartridges and how many are HPs ?
DHS says for training ? If DHS used 1.6 million rounds per year for training, they would have a 1,000 years worth of ammo. And again why train with HPs ?
I think this could be why people are a little unnerved.

Because we have to shoot what we carry. Tell me what makes the difference if I have my badge or not in how I shoot. They still make me wear it.

JRWhit
March 13, 2013, 08:08 AM
Just remember that there are a lot of us who are NOT new and have been holding off on purchases because of the current shortages. I know I'm not alone in refusing to stand in line for the privilege of paying several times last years price for no reason other than temporary shortage. I have ammo, no reason to panic.

When supplies do finally return to normal we will go out and buy again. I bought in bulk before and plan to do so again. Just not now.
+1
There will be a lot of good deals to be had from f2f sales once the dust settles and people start to realize that what they have, despite what they were told, is not made of gold.

docsleepy
March 13, 2013, 10:03 AM
Same here. I'm basically unloading small lots of powder, primers, bullets to friends who are learning how to load for the first time. Many have loading equipment on order, waiting for it to arrive. I tell them all to remember this time, so that when the prices go back down, they will stock up. One young lady bought a $3000 short barrel A.R. 15, with NFA registration and everything, shot up 400 rounds of 223 in one weekend. That came to a screeching halt pretty quick! But she has sharp eyes, and found me 8 pounds of Varget at a gun show! I found her 200 bullets in return. Now if her Lee press will only arrive. ....

340PD
March 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Good for you. I feel, and do, the same thing. I pass on a lot of "found ammo and reloading supplies" so others can have some.

michaelbsc
March 13, 2013, 12:13 PM
I did most of my panic buying in October when I saw how the election was going to go. Granted I didn't see Sandy Hook coming. but I knew *SOMETHING* was going to get projected all over the front pages. I just didn't expect it to be so dramatic.

DeadFlies
March 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
+1
There will be a lot of good deals to be had from f2f sales once the dust settles and people start to realize that what they have, despite what they were told, is not made of gold.

Word.

The only thing I'm hoarding right now is cash.

mljdeckard
March 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
I'd like to think I've done the right thing, even when I have been tempted to buy everything I see. Two boxes here and there. And I have to be honest, I don't have EVERYTHING I need for every cartridge, but I have plenty to work with.

The panic on supplies and ammo is artificial. No one is talking about banning any of it right now. It will be back.

kingmt
March 13, 2013, 02:22 PM
I've just been buying tools. I get to buy it now then get to receive it in 5 weeks so it is like the excitement of getting it twice.

bogon48
March 13, 2013, 10:33 PM
Still scarce here in my part of VA. Sales guy at the LGS is hoping supply and demand will settle down by this summer. I'm not so sure. Hard to make an accurate guess. Too many factors involved. When the assault weapons and magazine bans fail, it should help reduce panic buying. I'm hoping that's true, anyway.

109Hammer
March 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
folks eventually run out of disposable income
agreed

109Hammer
March 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Same here. I'm basically unloading small lots of powder, primers, bullets to friends who are learning how to load for the first time. Many have loading equipment on order, waiting for it to arrive. I tell them all to remember this time, so that when the prices go back down, they will stock up. One young lady bought a $3000 short barrel A.R. 15, with NFA registration and everything, shot up 400 rounds of 223 in one weekend. That came to a screeching halt pretty quick! But she has sharp eyes, and found me 8 pounds of Varget at a gun show! I found her 200 bullets in return. Now if her Lee press will only arrive. ....
Nice..... good man. We all have to stick together and help each other out.

Coop45
March 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
I surely hope so! I'm saving so much money because there isn't anything to buy that I can afford to fill up my truck with gasoline and have money left over.

leadchucker
March 13, 2013, 11:34 PM
I got an email from Natchez Shooters Supply today, notifying me that they had the powder I had asked about in stock. They may have had it for an hour or two. When I got to their website, they didn't.

jim243
March 13, 2013, 11:56 PM
my bags of Hornady 5.56 bullets is worth right now?

I don't think I have ever seen Hornady package bullets in bags it's always been boxes???

Jim

justice06rr
March 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
It is slowing to a certain extent.

My LGS has had Pmags and 5.56/9mm/7.62 ammo for a while now. 22lr is still hard to find but that would probably be the last to come back in stock. I'm not into reloading (yet) but if more components become available I intend to look into it.

joeschmoe
March 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
Your right. I just checked. It's just 55 gr FMJ. The Hornady is 75gr BTHP boxes.

280shooter
March 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
i went back into midway again,, still no 223 bullets.. other then what no one wants,and still no reloading press,out of stock, no back orders,, what,,
I will check out passpro this week,,

cyclopsshooter
March 14, 2013, 01:10 AM
Big Rock, Ellett, Davidsons, Lipses and all of my other distributors still have nothing in the way of new handguns to order aside from a few .22s, an overpriced Remington 1911, and single action Rugers and Cimmarons... and some potmetal crap.. Did snag an S&W heritage 1917 revolver and some Turkish CZ75 copies from Big Rock, but no.. it's not all that much better..

Anmut
March 14, 2013, 01:27 AM
I'm still buying and hoarding .22lr because, well because that's what I like to shoot a lot. All my centerfire cartridges I reload already and except for .223 I had plenty to hold me over. Some time spent online refreshing different websites has nabbed me enough components to keep up minor practice with the AR when I can.

I had a lot of friends scoff at me when I got into reloading. At the time it was because I wanted to learn and roll my own. "Why would you invest in the equipment when shelf ammo is so cheap?" Now it's all people want to talk about...

I believe that years in the future my children's children will tell stories about grandpa and how the Great Ammo Shortage of 2013 turned him into a brass, powder and primer hoarder for the rest of his life - much like our elders who survived the early 20th century and for the rest of their lives saved every piece of string and button they came across.

Jaxondog
March 14, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'll have to agree with the OP to an extent. The gun's are still rediculous but some of the ammo like what's on Armslist has started to come down. I would see the same add's on there for several week's and prove's that some people just are not going to keep paying those high ass price's. Want be too much longer and thin'g should be a little more normal.

USSR
March 14, 2013, 08:08 AM
I believe that years in the future my children's children will tell stories about grandpa and how the Great Ammo Shortage of 2013 turned him into a brass, powder and primer hoarder for the rest of his life - much like our elders who survived the early 20th century and for the rest of their lives saved every piece of string and button they came across.

Ah, another guy who doesn't buy that things will all be back to normal in 6 months time.;)

Don

JRWhit
March 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
Checking local shelves, Three weeks ago all things guns, ammo, and reloading were completely absent from shelves. I've been seeing more and more stuff coming in and staying in stock. At first all powders were imedietly gobbled up as soon as it hit the shelf, now the less used powders are staying in stock, and even the popular stuff is taking several days to move. Bullets are making a comeback, before all to be found were some of the less used , maybe five calibers total of anything hornady, now mainly it is only The most popular calibers that are absent. The higher dollar projectiles pretty well stayed in stock for the most part. Manuals, presses, tumblers, trimmers, and lots of other reloading equipment are starting to stay in stock.
Primers are still hit and miss, mainly miss. Haven't had any problem getting magnum primers.

jrdolall
March 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
Ammo is definitely staying on the shelves a bit longer. 22LR, 9mm FMJ and .223 are the only things I can't find exactly what I want. Pricesare slightly higher on most.

I met with two gun manufacturers this week and both of them are working at max capacity. They are both still selling at the same price they had two years ago which is why you see Walmart with comparable prices to pre-panic days. The distributors and retailers are jacking the prices up on guns so just remember that when your local LGS is 30% higher than a year ago it was NOT because of the manufacturers.

Belmont148
March 14, 2013, 12:26 PM
Last week I couldn't find guns, ammo, or components anywhere. This week I can get plenty of .223, 7.62x39 (brass not steel), 6.8 SPC, AR's, AK's, Glocks, Springfields, and also found a good bit of Hornady bullets that I needed and about 6000 primers. Small and large pistol.

Not sure if this is going to be the norm, but I sure am a happy camper this week after 2 months of striking out.

DeadFlies
March 15, 2013, 09:05 AM
I was at Gander Mountain a few days ago. There were six boxes of Federal .223 and were no fistfights over who was going to walk out with it. Probably because it was $18/box.

I did get a brick of SPPs from the reloading shop yesterday, however. Who knows? The nice woman working there laughed at me when I asked if things were getting better and told me "Maybe in a year or two things will be better." She's got no crystal ball but she knows the supply side better than most.

rdhood
March 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Both guns and ammo are starting to bounce back. The most popular ammo calibers are lagging, but the less popular are getting restocked and staying on shelves. I have seen ARs at at least three stores now, and uppers are becoming and staying available. Clearly, the panic is slowing. Magazines are available now as well.

ngnrd
March 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
I walked through Sportsman's again. They still have quite a bit of powder and both large and small rifle primers on the shelf. I bought a couple of pounds of Varget, and a can of Trail Boss. They also had H4350, Benchmark, Hybrid 100V, H4831, Lil'Gun, H1000, H322, International, and Universal, as well as few more Hodgdon powders and several IMR, Winchester, and a few VV powders. The Alliant and Accurate shelves were basically barren.

I hung out in/near the reloading aisle for about a half-hour, just watching what people were buying. Turns out, even with such bounty, they weren't buying much at all. While I was there, there were probably 25-30 customers that stopped to look at inventory, but maybe only five or six actually bought anything. Several guys thoroughly checked the primer shelf, presumably looking for pistol primers, and walked away empty handed. There was one guy that looked like he was going to pee himself due to his excitement at finding components in stock. He ended up buying a a couple bricks of primers and several types of powder. But, other than that, it was surprisingly subdued.

So again - at least around here - it looks like the market may be showing signs of saturation, and even the limited supply we're getting is starting to catch up with local demand.

USSR
March 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
it looks like the market may be showing signs of saturation

Saturation? Guys in 90% of the country can't find primers or the powders they normally use. Perhaps it was the prices where you are driving away people empty handed?

Don

ngnrd
March 15, 2013, 03:36 PM
It's not high prices keeping the customers away here. Sportsman's hasn't jacked up prices on anything as far as I can tell. Just regular pre-panic box store retail prices.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that the pain is over. I'm just reporting what I've seen in my area. Just a few short weeks ago, any powder or primers that did come in were snatched up before they hit the shelves. This week, although I admit that the shelves aren't exactly sagging under the load, both primers and powder have been in stock for the past few days, and not just a couple random types that nobody uses.

DeadFlies
March 15, 2013, 03:49 PM
I keep finding 9mm ammo and 223 avialable online. But 9mm is at least 60 cents/round and 223 is at least 75 cents. They are matching black-market prices and finding few buyers, it seems.

Pietro Beretta
March 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
I will have to go look around and see what I can find. I am totally out of 9mm except for 25 rounds of home defense, which are in my magazines for home defense. Its sad when you can't practice.

Ammoman.com has taken down their store to fulfill the orders they already have.

kgpcr
March 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
I was in a Cabelas in MN yesterday and they had 6 or so AR's on the shelf for under 1K. They also had 9mm Blazer Brass for 14.99 a box and they had a lot of it on the shelf. Many rifle powders were in stock. 4350,4198,3031,4320,and some others that i cant remember. No one was going ape over the 9mm ammo

x_wrench
March 17, 2013, 10:57 AM
not sure where you are, but here it has not slowed at all. i went to the local gun store with a lit of 12 items, came up with 2. stopped at 2 different one on the (long) way home, and picked up zero. i HATE all this B.S. caused by a bunch of panicking liberal idiots that currently control the govt. who said you have to be a LEADER, to run the govt.

KAC1911
March 17, 2013, 11:10 AM
Went to gun show in Orlando yesterday and powder was everywhere, primers were plentfull to but they wern't CCI or Winchester brands.

Couldn't find any 55gr projectiles.

All kinds of ar's and stuff.

Prices on most were up there but people didn't seem to mind paying it for the most.

Trent
March 17, 2013, 11:19 AM
Went to Dave's Trading Post in Pekin, IL yesterday.

He had about 30 lbs of IMR 4064 on the shelf. Also had some 700-X, Reloder 7, and Viht 150 in stock (pretty normal prices; 18-22 / lb. Also had 10 or so thousand Large Rifle primers (30/1k)

GaryL
March 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
At the show in St Paul yesterday, a guy had a box of primers for $70/box, and an open one for $7/100 on his table. Did get some plated 44mag bullets slightly overpriced, saw a bunch of 308 tracers for $12/100, with a guy buying 500 of them at the time. Dealer said he had the last of his stock at the show.

treed
March 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
Picked up a brick of spp at the Eau Claire Scheels. Limit of 1 brick of each type. Plenty of all types minus small rifle with a nice selection of powders.

Tim

GaryL
March 17, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Tim

Coop45
March 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
If this doesn't stop soon, I will have saved enough money to buy a new time machine.

sota
March 17, 2013, 04:00 PM
it'll have stopped when a 1000rnds of your average 9mm ammo doesn't go for $600 on GB. :\

TxAg
March 17, 2013, 04:25 PM
Debunking the rumor that DHS is buying all the pistol ammo.

http://http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/26/rumor-control-did-the-dept-of-homeland-security-recently-request-to-purchase-21600000-rounds-of-handgun-ammo/ (http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/26/rumor-control-did-the-dept-of-homeland-security-recently-request-to-purchase-21600000-rounds-of-handgun-ammo/)

Panic, hoarding, speculation or a combination of the three it's gonna be a while before we are back to normal.

GW Staar
March 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
This is a quote by a person working for CCI, that came from his mouth yesterday:

I can tell you this-

Centerfire pistol- Currently 2 BILLION ROUNDS backlog

Rimfire (17, 22, powerloads)- 3 BILLION ROUNDS backlog

Primers- 2-3 BILLION backlog

That's pretty much 3 YEARS OF BACKLOG at our current rate of production. We're adding on and buying more machinery right now but there's just too much demand... our shipping dept is pretty much empty because it's out the door as fast as we can make it.

Doesn't sound like its about over to me.

Trouble is, if these companies buy more machinery, more space and train more help......then what, when the demand goes back to normal.

ngnrd
March 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
If they make just one penny profit on each of their 8-billion unit backlog, they will make a profit of 80 million dollars. I'm sure they can suck up the cost of additional equipment.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
it'll have stopped when a 1000rnds of your average 9mm ammo doesn't go for $600 on GB. :\
Dude that's cheap.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
If this doesn't stop soon, I will have saved enough money to buy a new time machine.
Let me know when you get your time machine. I would like to hitch a ride back before this mess and stock up on everything.

USSR
March 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
Quote:
"I can tell you this-

Centerfire pistol- Currently 2 BILLION ROUNDS backlog

Rimfire (17, 22, powerloads)- 3 BILLION ROUNDS backlog

Primers- 2-3 BILLION backlog

That's pretty much 3 YEARS OF BACKLOG at our current rate of production. We're adding on and buying more machinery right now but there's just too much demand... our shipping dept is pretty much empty because it's out the door as fast as we can make it."

Hey, don't worry. There's plenty of guys on this site that say it'll be over in 6 months, and all the guys who stocked up will be selling at half price.:D

Don

kgpcr
March 17, 2013, 09:50 PM
I was at Cabelas on Saturday and they had a ton of Blazer Brass 9mm for 14.99 a box. No one was going crazy over it. They also had a lot of rifle powder in stock along with a half dozen or more AR-15's under 999.00

Crashbox
March 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
Well, at least Starline is once again taking orders on .357, .40 and 10mm brass. For a while they were not taking any backorders on these and perhaps others, too- I haved NEVER seen Starline do that before. Maybe this is a beginning of a good sign...??? Not holding my breath, though.

michaelbsc
March 18, 2013, 12:04 AM

Just use the old one to go get it back when it was new.

Matno
March 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
Two of my local LGSs had Remington UMC .223 in stock this week. One of them only had about 50 boxes on the shelf (they usually keep most stuff in the back room) while the other had at least 100 CASES on display. Sign said "unlimited .223 sale." $265 for 400 rounds. They also had another brand of bulk stuff for the same price. It's a good sign. Now if only I didn't have to go back every day to buy 3 more boxes of 8mm...

Still no 9mm or 308 though... Also, they have had CCI primers for normal prices, just not small rifle.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 18, 2013, 12:53 PM
I was at Cabelas on Saturday and they had a ton of Blazer Brass 9mm for 14.99 a box. No one was going crazy over it. They also had a lot of rifle powder in stock along with a half dozen or more AR-15's under 999.00
Please tell me where this Cabelas is located as I want to make a trip to pick up about 5 cases of 9mm. Our local Academy got one case of 9mm and sold out very quickly even with a limit of box per caliber with a max of 3 calibers per day. You can say its over when you can walk into any store selling ammo and find everything in stock and no limits to how much you purchase days after it was delivered.

rodregier
March 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
I wonder if the construction trades realize that they may be facing a future shortage of powerloads?

Dakotared
March 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post

Please tell me where this Cabelas is located as I want to make a trip to pick up about 5 cases of 9mm. Our local Academy got one case of 9mm and sold out very quickly even with a limit of box per caliber with a max of 3 calibers per day. You can say its over when you can walk into any store selling ammo and find everything in stock and no limits to how much you purchase days after it was delivered.

My guess is the Cabelas in Rogers MN. If not that one there is another one in Owatonna MN

Motownfire
March 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
Debunking the rumor that DHS is buying all the pistol ammo.

http://http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/26/rumor-control-did-the-dept-of-homeland-security-recently-request-to-purchase-21600000-rounds-of-handgun-ammo/

Panic, hoarding, speculation or a combination of the three it's gonna be a while before we are back to normal

It's on the internet so it has to be true LOL. "Bonjour"

With the combination of all three mentioned, I agree it's gonna be a while.

kgpcr
March 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
The Cabelas is in Rogers MN

Kachok
March 18, 2013, 09:54 PM
At this point I am predicting a slow return to normal. You will start seeing more an more components on the shelves month by month for the next 18 months until things hit per-panic levels. The last things to return to normal will be the military calibers and their components, Varget, 748 and similar burn rate powders, Fed 210Ms, and bulk 223 bullets will be the last thing to be normal again, they could take a couple years unless someone really ramps up production.
Seeing signs of life here, found 150 and 180gr SGKs the other day as well as 175gr SMKs and RL19 I thought it might be another few months before I saw those again. Seeing bricks of CCI primers on the shelf made me really happy.

Lj1941
March 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hoarding is not a good word. I prefer stockpiling.

cwbys4evr
March 21, 2013, 04:51 PM
I did the math earlier on DHS. Assuming a 5 year contract, because that is what I heard, the DHS purchases would take up only 2 percent of the world's daily ammo production.

HunterHerb
March 22, 2013, 08:58 PM
Lafayetteshooters.com has some .224 55grain Hornady left for $16.49 plus S&H as of today

If you enjoyed reading about "The Panic Is Slowing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!