Should I get an 84?

PDA

area51
March 13, 2013, 06:00 AM
Found one for sale at my local shop. Heard they're a good pistol. Would the recoil be less than my lc9? Why are they so pricey ? Almost $550 for a .380.... :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I get an 84?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ehtereon11B
March 13, 2013, 06:23 AM
Popularity would be my guess. With all the pocket .380s made by everyone, there is much less interest in a larger frame, heavier .380. I almost didn't think they were still in production but a quick look on Beretta's site says they are. It would probably recoil less than your lc9 because of the size and weight compared to the lc9. But that is just my humble guess.

wnycollector
March 13, 2013, 06:56 AM
Would the recoil be less than my lc9?

Yes. I own an 84B and a buddy has an LC9. I have shot both and my 84B is MUCH more pleasant to shoot.

usp9
March 13, 2013, 09:10 AM
The Beretta is likely the highest quality .380 you'll ever have and that quality comes at a price. Far from being the most expensive .380 around, the Beretta is IMHO a good value based on that quality and design. It's a gun to last several lifetimes.

Storm
March 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
The 84 is no longer imported into the US. Whether it is still made I don't know.

I have an 82 and it is a superb pistol.

Jaywalker
March 13, 2013, 03:28 PM
I had one for several years in the 1980s, and it was as high-quality as you've heard from others. I have broad hands with shorter fingers and I liked being able to use it double action from the first shot. At the time, my only other auto to compare it with was a Browning Hi-Power.

It seemed to suffer a bit from comparison to the HP - it was a little bit smaller than the HP, but not much. It seemed to have a sharper recoil than the more powerful HP, probably as a result of the blowback system compared to the HP's locked breech.

It seems funny to be worried about the size of it now, because the Beretta M87BB I bought in 1998 is the same pistol in 22LR (slightly narrower grip), and I don't think that's too big - go figure.

My tastes have changed and I'd buy one now - only I'd have to pay a lot more for it than I sold my other one for in 1984 or so.

bannockburn
March 13, 2013, 04:07 PM
The Beretta Model 84 would be much more pleasant to shoot compared to a Ruger LC9. The larger size frame, better ergonomics, and being chambered for the less powerful .380 cartridge would make for less felt recoil to the shooter.

niner4tango
March 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
They are expensive because they are worth it. Actually, $550 is a great price.

Here is Mrs. Tango's 84fs in front of its cousin my Browning BDA380. Note the open top slide and the frame mounted safety lever, compared to the BDA. The Beretta has been 100 percent reliable and a joy to shoot. If you can get one, jump on it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/niner4tango/rsz_img_0436_zps26af624f.jpg

Dentite
March 13, 2013, 05:31 PM
I bought one a while back and my reason for owning it was the following:

I already had a .380 auto pistol (so no need to stock another caliber, dies, etc)
I always thought they were beautiful pistols
I found one at a great price

It is really nice quality...the slide slides on the frame very smoothly and silently.

Shooting is comfortable but sharper than some might expect due to blow back action and lightweight aluminum alloy frame and lightweight open top slide. Still pretty soft shooting though.

Ergonomics are good for me and my skinny fingers all fit on the grip fine. Love the position and positive feel of the safety.

One could make the arguement and that a modern polymer compact 9mm would offer more punch for the same size and weight. And one could make the arguement that if you want a compact pistol there are others that shoot .380 that are smaller and more easily concealed or carried in a pocket.

That being said I don't think I would feel outgunned in too many situations with 13+1 .380s on board and it would be easy to slip in a jacket pocket or in an IWB holster.

I got mine just for joy of ownership and shooting as opposed to for self defense.

wnycollector
March 13, 2013, 07:24 PM
I don't think I would feel outgunned in too many situations with 13+1 .380s on board

+1 on that.

TennJed
March 13, 2013, 09:55 PM
Mine is a dream to shoot. Very high quality

hAkron
March 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have an 85 that I bought for my wife (single stack version of the 84). It's a nice shooter, but it does make your hand sore after a few boxes of ammo.

labhound
March 14, 2013, 12:47 AM
My wife also has an 85 and loves it. New here in Virginia at my LGS it sold for $729. Excellent gun!!

golden
March 14, 2013, 08:29 PM
I have been shooting the BERETTA 84 and other CHETTAH series guns and think they are really nice.

The BERETTA 84 will be among the lightest recoiling .380ACP pistols because it is heavy for the .380ACP round and has a large grip area. I find it very easy to shoot, with good sights and a smooth trigger that helps a lot.

It is also one of the most reliable guns that I have ever shot and will generally shoot any kind of ammo.

The only negative is that it is a bit bulky.

JIm

hAkron
March 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
Is the 84 softer shooting than the 85? The 85 gets uncomfortable in short order.

huntsman
March 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Almost $550 for a .380....

I'd pay that, I just won't waste that kind of money on plastic.

labhound
March 15, 2013, 01:12 AM
Is the 84 softer shooting than the 85? The 85 gets uncomfortable in short orderHow the gun fits your hand has a lot to do with felt recoil. My wife says her 85FS has less recoil than my 92FS. To me it's just the opposite. We rented a 84 before we bought the 85 and I didn't see any difference in the recoil but the wife said the 84 was too big for her hand. As big as the grip on my 92FS is she shoots it very accurately but sometimes "limp wrists" it and it will jam. It just doesn't fit her hand which may be why she feels the recoil more.

Shadow 7D
March 15, 2013, 03:25 AM
Here's a hint, Iver Johnson, FIE or one of the other 'off name' importers brought in the Tanfoglio's

Many (OK so 95% of everybody) is pretty much clueless when it comes to the quandry of what came in by who... so if you KNOW what you are looking for, you can get some DAMN good guns, like a Manurhin produced Walther PP 'clone' (it could be noted that they produced the post war PP for Walther... but...)

wnycollector
March 15, 2013, 10:46 AM
Here's a hint, Iver Johnson, FIE or one of the other 'off name' importers brought in the Tanfoglio's

My step-Dad carried an FIE Super Titan back in the 70's. He loved to buy, shoot and carry "off brand" pistols. His safe was filled with Taurus, and Rossi .38's plus aCharter Arms 44 bulldog or two:) IIRC the Super Titan was a 11+1 380 Tanfoglio knock-off of the Beretta 84.

Shadow 7D
March 16, 2013, 04:22 AM
I want one of the NON Walther Manurhin PP's

MachIVshooter
March 16, 2013, 04:37 AM
Had one, really liked it, but sold it when I was hard-up for cash.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/84FS.jpg

It's replacement is a two-tone CZ-83. I actually like the CZ a little better. It's not as pretty, but feels/handles better, IMO.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Untitled.jpg

guyfromohio
March 16, 2013, 04:39 AM
Buy it! New, they're often over $700 and are wonderful shooters. It just fits my hand.

Peter M. Eick
March 16, 2013, 06:09 PM
http://eickpm.com/picts/bda_84f.jpg

Get it, but really the question is should you get the BDA instead???

Or do like I did and get both.

5-SHOTS
March 17, 2013, 04:04 PM
I used to own one . It's a very very nice, very well made gun with a perfect grip but the safety on the left side hitted the base of my thumb badly while shooting and I wasn't particulary accurate with it. So after 200 rounds I sold it to a good friend of mine wich still owns and enjoy it.

Pilot
March 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
I bought my 85FS (single stack version of the 84) new in 2005, and paid around $500 for it. I just wanted a nice, .380 for CCW, and I carry it quite often in warmer weather. They are worth the money, and yes no longer imported into the U.S.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I get an 84?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!