Spray on finishes

PDA

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hey guys.
I got an old Savage 20-gauge pump for Christmas when I was 13 or 14 years old. All of the finish is worn off and somebody had painted the receiver black. I had plans then to reblue so I scraped all the black paint off. Anyway, it looks like poo now and nearly 20 years after the fact, I'd like to resurrect it and make it look good again because of the good memories associated with it.

I can handle the wood re-finishing with no problem, but I'm a newbie when it comes to metal finishing. I don't want to send it off to be blued because it would cost more than the gun is worth.

Is there a good spray on finish that does not require baking in the oven after you spray it on?
I want to go with this option because I'd like to do it myself, but don't want to strip it all down and put it in the oven. I'd like to just tape off the action and trigger and spray it on.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Spray on finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
March 13, 2013, 01:21 PM
DuraCoat is an epoxy cure instead of heat-cure. No baking required.

However, I would never, ever, ever, ever ... ever leave the gun together to do any of these finishes because you have to degrease to such an exacting degree that you'll want the gun broken down into basic parts before you start your prep work.

(And it is mighty nice to give them a light sand- or bead-blasting first, too, to help the finish adhere well.)

It really sux to get the gun looking great and then have a bit of oil you didn't catch, heat up and flow out from under a crevice or assembly -- UNDER your new finish -- and lift it right off again the first time you fire it.

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks Sam.
It wouldn't be that hard to break the gun down I guess.
The barrel doesn't come off, so that part will have to stay together.

I will also definitely put a light sanding on it before spraying.

Sam1911
March 13, 2013, 01:42 PM
Make sure you've done everything (and more!) to get the joint between the barrel and receiver degreased. Even heating it in the oven, boiling it in solvent -- whatever.

I had that happen with my favorite AK, I thought I'd gotten it completely stripped, but the first time I got it good and hot, old cosmoline or oil seeped out from under the gas block and the finish came right off in that spot. Of course, on an AK that looks GOOD! ;) Not so much on your shotgun.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Spray on finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!