Does your significant other shoot?

PDA

trapper1
March 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
I've been with my better half now going on close to 5 years. When we met, she lived in a small town, and never dreamed of being a country gal, let alone shoot guns. Since then, she's moved out in the country with me, enjoys shooting clays, pistols and bow hunts. She's already up to owning 4 guns herelf. A Mossberg pump 20 gauge, a Remington 11 87 20 gauge, a Tuarus Tracker .357, and most recently, a Browning Sliver Hunter in 20 gauge. I used to worry about asking her about a new gun purchase, now she gets excited, and wants to shoot it. :what:

Just wondering of any of you other folks have spouses that enjoy shooting?

*in advance....nope, she doesn't have a sister:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your significant other shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
March 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Nope.
She doesn't have a BIG problem with guns, just no interest at all in shooting them.

ngnrd
March 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
A couple of weeks ago, my wife asked me to buy her an AR... said it could wait until our anniversary so I didn't have to pay panic prices. So... yeah.

ATBackPackin
March 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
Enjoy? Not at all. However we came to an agreement. I get to teach her how to shoot and take her to the range a few times a year for practice. She gets me to no longer try to get her into shooting. I am happy because if necessary she can protect herself when I am not home and she is happy because I quit pestering her about going to the range with me.

It's a compromise.

Shawn

lpsharp88
March 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
My first date with my girlfriend was a trip to the range, we've been dating for 2.5 years now. She doesn't particularly enjoy shooting and isn't the biggest fan of guns, but she supports me and my hobbies!

Teachu2
March 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
My wife's father was a champion skeet and trap shooter, but raised his kids to fear handguns. She didn't want anything to do with them for the first 23 years we were married, but would shoot rifles fron the bench. A couple of years ago, I started competing in local pistol matches, and she came and observed. She decided it might not be so scary, and realized that a time might come when she'd need to know how to shoot a handgun, so she asked me to teach her to shoot.

She's a very accurate pistol shooter, not fast but getting less slow. Has her own M&P9c and is applying for a CCW later this month.

Robert
March 13, 2013, 12:51 PM
Nope, she has no interest. She loves that I compete and hunt but she has no desire to shoot.

mljdeckard
March 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
My ex was grudgingly cooperative, under the grounds that all of the adults in the house need to know how to run the guns. She never liked it. (One of MANY things that were revealed in the divorce process.)

My wife not only loves it, she nags me to go, and gets mad when I go without her. I know, it's a nice problem to have. Got her an XD-9 that she loves, she shot my friend's Makarov and now she wants one.

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2013, 12:56 PM
Lil bit.

Her with her .38 Spcl
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/photo21.jpg

With her Ruger M77 in .243
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/Savannah1.jpg

With my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk.
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/528036_3030615601367_1142179178_32667889_937832588_n1.jpg

Darkbob
March 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
My wife does enjoy shooting, but only if it's not too much work. Before our recent move, there was a local indoor pistol range that, on Fridays, had 1/2 price on range time and rentals for all ladies (and men accompanied by ladies).

We would shoot there a couple of times per month.

She liked shooting the .22 pistol a lot, especially with the silencer on. Zombie targets for her. :) The .45 and 9mm were too much recoil for her to enjoy.

So far I haven't ever convinced her to come out to the rifle range to shoot any long guns. Hopefully I can change that this spring once the weather turns nicer.

Sniper66
March 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
We have been married for 21 years. I finally got it right with the 3rd try at marriage. She supports my shooting hobby/passion. Just ordered a Browning 1911 .22 A1 for her. At one point she wanted nothing to do with shooting guns. What changed? She has become acquainted with an increasing number of other women who have learned to shoot and are pursuing concealed carry. Don't know if she wants to do concealed carry, but we are going to the range soon. She has no interest in long guns.

Akita1
March 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
Mine is OK with it but not an enthusiast. She grew up with shooting/hunting father & brother so not a shock to the system. She owns a LadySmith .38 for home defense and is imperative about me teaching the kids gun safety, handling, etc.

Akita1
March 13, 2013, 01:16 PM
Lil bit.

Her with her .38 Spcl
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/photo21.jpg

With her Ruger M77 in .243
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/Savannah1.jpg

With my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk.
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/528036_3030615601367_1142179178_32667889_937832588_n1.jpg
Well now you're just showing off brother!

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
Well now you're just showing off brother!

Guilty. :)

CoRoMo
March 13, 2013, 01:19 PM
Most of my "significant others" shoot.

shotgunjoel
March 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
My fiance's father is a university professor, so you can guess her family's views from that. She thinks that guns should have to be locked up in the home, and compliance should be periodically checked. I mentioned the other Constitutional issues with that, the reply I got was 'It's just a piece of paper.' She is okay with me owning them though, and she is fine with me buying more. Don't worry, she's shown interest in going to the range and she wouldn't be the first anti I've converted.

ThorinNNY
March 13, 2013, 01:30 PM
No. She dosen`t shoot but then again I don`t watch chick flicks, either. Works for us.

Skylerbone
March 13, 2013, 01:35 PM
On occasion. After 10 years of marriage you might think I'd learn but all 3 of our kids are showing an interest in target shooting and have their own rifles. My prediction is that her competitive and motherly sides won't allow her to skip range days when everyone else heads to the range in a few years (kids are too young for anything but 1 on 1 training right now).

AP, that lady of yours sounds darn near perfect, you might reward her with some protective eyewear to better see that you're one heck of a guy!

Tinker
March 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
My lady went from "I'm not comfotable with a gun in my house." to "No range trip this weekend for us.....Walmart is out of 9mm again."

Is that awesome or what? She has always been smart, it just took her a while to shuck the programmming. :D

Tinpig
March 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
We've been married 45 years and my wife has never liked or been interested in guns.
She grudgingly tolerates my habit, and in return I don't clean guns on the kitchen table (when she's home.) ;)

Last year I was going through her late father's WWII Navy papers (he was a surgeon attached to the Marine Corps) and found his issue receipt for an M1Carbine from when he was on Kwajalein. I asked her if she's be interested in seeing and maybe shooting the same type of rifle as her Dad once had. Suddenly she sat up and took an interest. We went to the range on a beautiful fall weekday, had the place to ourselves, and she had a blast and shot very well. The Carbine is a great "beginner's" rifle. She even shot my AR.

She's still not what you'd call a gun person but is much closer to "getting" what my sons and I are talking about.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_0576.jpg

Tinpig

Orion8472
March 13, 2013, 01:57 PM
Damn it, Arkansas Paul! Don't do that!!!

Jealousy has risen in me.

My story isn't nearly as good. My ex-wife was against them. A girlfriend later on wanted me to "take them all down to the police so they could cut them up".

I'm single today.

OpelBlitz
March 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
Tinpig, your post made my day. Love that your wife was shooting that M1 Carbine.

My wife enjoys shooting because I do. She certainly doesn't dislike it, just not very active about it. Trying to get her to go to an Appleseed.

tarosean
March 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
My ex-wife was against them

Same here.

New wife for the last 10yrs just took her CHL class and is awaiting her license. Woot.

OpelBlitz
March 13, 2013, 02:03 PM
Tarosean, sounds like you made a good upgrade :)

SharpsDressedMan
March 13, 2013, 02:04 PM
My wife learned on a .45 1911, but now has two Colt .38 Supers and a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380. My daughter has a Walther P99 9mm.

c4v3man
March 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
My wife is an anti, but like most things it just takes time for her to find out she's wrong. She won't talk about it, but I think a friend of hers committed suicide in the past, which I guess to my wife means the gun got out of the drawer and murdered her friend in her sleep against their will.

When it comes up nowadays, I bring up my family's connection to firearms, memories I have of shooting with my father and grandfather, etc and that seems to help her understand a little more. Her bosses (husband and wife) were talking to me about shooting over a recent dinner... I think the more responsible gun owners she meets the less inclined she is to believe that only violent people have guns.

As long as she votes for pro-gun individuals, I'm not too concerned (as long as we don't have children).

oldgold
March 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
My wife competed on the international muzzle loading rifle circuit for a couple years. Before that the ATA. Before that the NMLRA. Then she got into IDPA.
Before that NRA .22 rifle silhouettes.

After I retired I had to stop her from going to gun shows, she spent too much.

Picture is her first groundhog taken with a Mossberg .308.

Ranger Roberts
March 13, 2013, 02:56 PM
My wife loves shooting. She grew up doing so. She has an AR, .45 acp, 20 ga and just recently bought a Taurus Judge (not a fan of snakes and we have a few on our property). Her one request when we purchased our new house was that we have enough room for a private range. She's tall and thin, so she's a bit recoil sensitive to my large bore stuff but I guess nobody's perfect... haha She even recently started getting into reloading!

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2013, 03:00 PM
Her one request when we purchased our new house was that we have enough room for a private range.

We are members at a private club with a VERY nice range. It was her idea. :)

She's tall and thin, so she's a bit recoil sensitive to my large bore stuff but I guess nobody's perfect...

You'd rather she were short and fat? :evil:

del4
March 13, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm single. My cat can't get his paw in the trigger guard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Double Vision
March 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
My wife of 32+ years enjoys a range trip as long as the weather is fair meaning not too cold.

She has shot a variety of guns but seems to enjoy the Saiga the best. :D

Njal Thorgeirsson
March 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
My girlfriend was, for the first year I knew her, somewhat anti-gun. She certainly had no interest in ever shooting them, and she dissaproved of my purchases. But as soon as some of our mutual friends decided to go with me, she got jealous of our fun, and decided to give it a try. Couple months later, she got a mossberg 500 for home defense :evil:

Dnaltrop
March 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
18 years together, took 10 to get her to shoot at all, few more and a Victory Model 10 turned her into a gun owner herself. She likes the Sigma, and woe to anyone with a detracting comment who can't outshoot her.

Now she asks me when we're hitting the range more often than I think of it myself.

As suggested by others recently, when she told me I needed a 1911,(because I rarely buy anything for myself) it appears she really meant "I'd like a 1911 for CCW, but I'd like you to think you're getting something for yourself when you go shopping"

She now has a black shoulder rig on order with Ted Blocker for My(?) Range Officer. Oh well at least I can borrow it from her freely.

drcook
March 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
my wife has outshot me on chickens at 235 yds. the key was getting her firearms that were sized correctly for a petite 5'3" woman. she goes hunting with me, spots for me shooting BPCR, shoots BPCR with me and has her own stable of firearms that I purchased for her.

dtalley
March 13, 2013, 03:19 PM
My Wife likes to shoot and has a .380acp, AR15, 44spc and 20ga. She has been hinting around for a 9mm since our anniversary is coming up. She conceal carries almost more than I do. She doesn't hunt but likes that I do.

kbbailey
March 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
My ol' buddy and I were shooting b/p rifles back about 1983 when the teenaged future Mrs.kb walked up, picked up my .54 Hawken, and ruined our 100yd milk jug target with a well-placed round ball. My buddy still reminds me of that shot!
...Here we are 30yrs and three kids later.... she still likes to outshoot me with my little 28ga o/u on clays or most recently my SP101 .357mag. and son #3's Henry .22 levergun.
She revels in her ability to walk up, pick up my "her" 28ga, and bust 10 clays in a row, put the gun down and walk away. How she does that with zero practice, I'll never know.

anothernewb
March 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
the wife and the 14 year old go out with me once in awhile. With the addition of a amith 19 to my collection, I'm hoping they'll go more as most of my other pistols are either heavy, or have too large of a grip for them.

tygranch
March 13, 2013, 04:00 PM
My wife brought four guns into our marriage, a custom falling block .223, a Mossberg home defense 12 guage, a Rossi 5 shot .38 and an old H & R in .32 short Colt. Until she developed health issues, she was a regular hunter and shooter and even helped prep brass for reloading. She killed the second largest whitetail (145 inches) on our family farm. We used to hunt together all the time. She still shoots when she feels up to it.

HighExpert
March 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
My wife of 43yrs had no interest when we married. Since, she carries concealed, either a Ruger LCP or Mustang. She has her own Gold Cup and a Ruger Mark III slabside. She also ended up with a Woodsman Match target which she love. She also has a Ruger 10-22 and a Weatherby Mark XXll. She has also completed the S&W 2 day course with top scores. Does she shoot? Don't get in the way. The problem came when she instituted the policy of my new gun equals an equal amount of jewelry for her. Made it somewhat more expensive. The real killer was when I bought HER a new gun, she still bought the jewelry. It took me a while to figure out that I might as well by myself a gun. The cost was the same either way.

Outlaw Man
March 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
On our first date, my (then future) wife told me she had a CHCL. Needless to say I was hooked from there.

She has a few rules, though. She doesn't like revolvers (prefers semi-autos), and I've been told if I bring a pink gun into the house, both me and the gun will get kicked out. Oh, the pains I put up with! :D

TheoShooter
March 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
My wife is totally addicted to trap shooting. Shoots her Browning BT-99 12ga. pretty darned good. She shoots league even in the winter and this year she has shot in 17 degrees, snow, sleet, terrible winds, etc. Doesn't like the cold but she likes shooting more! Also likes shooting rifles and handguns but is partial to the shotgun. In warmer weather there are weeks when she will shoot upwards of a thousand shots through her shotgun! Keeps the reloader warmed up that's for sure. She also likes riding the Harley. So I guess after 25 years of marriage I'll keep her. It's been really hard getting her trained so good but don't tell her:D

FROGO207
March 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
My GF is a former LEO. Yes she shoots and helps me reload also. Unfortunately she can shoot better than I most of the time.:o

captmoto
March 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
My wife was into it before I was since her family was into hunting. She picked out a nice 10-22 target at an estate sale. She just picked it up and said this one's mine. She has her own 9mm pistol too.

Ehtereon11B
March 14, 2013, 12:36 AM
My wife has gone through more pistols in the past 2 years than I have to find one she loves. In addition she is an avid hunter. Skinning a rabbit in 3 minutes to my 5.

labhound
March 14, 2013, 01:23 AM
Yep my wife loves to shoot with me. Here she is with her Beretta Cheetah 85FS. She outshoots me everytime she shoots with me. :o
http://http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd366/labhound1/Shootingathomerange007.jpg

john44402
March 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
My wife of 2+ years loves to shoot. On our first date, I made no bones about my gun and motorcycle passions.

Our second date was at an indoor range, where she learned how to shoot with light 44 special loads in a Ruger single action. Since then, she's adopted my S&W JM 625 as her own, shot a 500 mag, 480 Ruger, 44 Mag, and AR's chambered in 50 Beowulf and 308 :cool:

LNK
March 14, 2013, 03:54 PM
My wife wasn't a shooter when I met her, but she is now. We do the whole family outings to the range. We all did an appleseed together. The only thing my wife wont shoot are larger centerfires, she even got a kick out of shooting a MAC9 a couple of Independence days ago.

I will keep her....

LNK

JoeMal
March 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
My wife shoots trap almost as good as I do

Yes, she shoots

dpote
March 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
My wife will shoot if the weather is nice. She was not really into it, though. Then something happened; we went to a .22 action match. Now she is hooked. She bought two .22 pistols so far to shoot at the matches.
I still have to clean the guns, no way no how she will go for that.

Dave

josiewales
March 14, 2013, 04:57 PM
*in advance....nope, she doesn't have a sister

Darn. :)

hso
March 14, 2013, 06:15 PM
Yep, and my daughter also.

arflattop
March 14, 2013, 06:23 PM
My wife shoots just enough to handle the Springfield XDm in her nightstand. No recreational shooting, just proficiency maintenance. She has other interests!

Fleetman
March 14, 2013, 06:33 PM
My wife not only shoots but collects as well. We have our own range and although she doesn't visit it as much as me she still spends a fair amount of time down there herself.

When I was recuperating from heart surgery and was missing the range, it was HER suggestion to shoot from our dining room!

She's also surprised me with several firearms over the years and she buys me much nicer things than I would buy for myself......yup, I love her!

JohnnyK
March 14, 2013, 06:58 PM
my wife and I are about to renew our chls.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 14, 2013, 07:12 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/TheChamps2011.jpg

Intrepid Dad
March 14, 2013, 08:20 PM
My wife has come around from not liking handguns to learning how to shoot. I can't say she really enjoys it but she's joined me in the prepper movement and figures knowing how to shoot couldn't hurt.

Now she tells me she'll look for ammo at Walmart when she goes food shopping. I even catch her occasionally watching Doomsday Preppers on TV. :)

dodgeboy12008
March 14, 2013, 09:34 PM
My misses loves to shoot. She just recently bought a marlin 1895gls for herself. :evil: Heck, shes even the top seller in the outdoor center at her work. Hehe

browneu
March 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
Yes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Kayaker 1960
March 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
My beautilful wife and I have been married for a short 31 years. She came from a family that does not own any guns. She appreciates that I am her protector. She often makes sure that I'm carrying when we go places. She does shoot, just enough to remember how, once or twice a year. She enjoys .22 pistol and rifle, barely tolerates anything bigger. I ust want her to be able to defend herself if neccessary.

v8stang289
March 14, 2013, 10:03 PM
When I met my wife she had never shot guns and was afraid of them. She didn't have a problem with me having them around or with me carrying one, but she didn't want to mess with them. Nearly every time I would ask her to go with me to the range and give it a try. I knew she would like it if she tried it. After 5 years of marriage she finally went with me to the range. Now she has her own J-frame and a marlin 60 and wants her concealed carry permit. She also goes shooting with me nearly every time I go.

OH_Spartan
March 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
My wife always hated shooting because my pistols hurt her hands. She shot my dad's 22 and turned to me to say "will you buy me one of these"

A week later she was the proud owner of a browning buck mark. My daughter passed her safety class and got a cricket for her 7th birthday

2@low8
March 14, 2013, 10:36 PM
I was president of our shooting club (350 members) and a range master for 4 disciplines there. My fiancé (destined to be my future ex-wife in 4 years) realized that she had to take up shooting if she ever wanted to see me on a regular basis.

She didn’t give a hoot about shooting and the sad part is that she was an incredibly good shooter - always winning the women’s divisions and often the top shooter in her class in open competitions.

Well, thank God and Greyhound that she’s gone, but unfortunately absconded with my S&W model 60. Damn, I miss that gun!

Arkansas Paul
March 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
Well, thank God and Greyhound that she’s gone, but unfortunately absconded with my S&W model 60. Damn, I miss that gun!

Yeah, if mine ever gets smart and realizes how much better off she'd be without me, she's prolly gonna take a few with her.

2@low8
March 14, 2013, 11:14 PM
Arkansas Paul - "Yeah, if mine ever gets smart and realizes how much better off she'd be without me, she's prolly gonna take a few with her."

I don’t think she will be leaving you anytime soon. Your obvious enthusiasm for her probably makes you a great catch in her eyes and her enjoyment of shooting captures you as well.

All in all, a wonderful combination. You’re both lucky and I wish you a lifetime of happiness…..Frankie

Indifferent
March 15, 2013, 12:33 AM
My wife loves shooting. Doesn't give a lick about owning. Just punching bulls eyes out of the targets.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
March 15, 2013, 12:58 AM
xxx

mrvco
March 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
She would if I weren't hoarding all the ammo :p

Bovice
March 15, 2013, 01:08 AM
Nope, she doesn't. None of my previous girlfriends have either. But they aren't opposed to them being around. From a very primitive level, the women like being protected. It's biology.

I don't take them to shoot unless they really want to. Some have been curious enough to try. Honestly, I got into shooting with a full size 9mm and I went up from there. Nothing I have is new shooter friendly, especially female new shooters. I'm not really somebody you'd want to borrow a gun from to learn how to shoot. My smallest caliber is 357 SIG.

MikeS.
March 15, 2013, 01:13 AM
Mine shot with me a lot until she got too sick. Both of my daughters and G'daughter I started when they were 5. They still shoot with me.

chris in va
March 15, 2013, 01:36 AM
My first handgun was a Ruger 22/45. Soon after I got my CHP and carried an XD.

My GF literally made fun of me carrying, 'outing' me in public. "GOT YOUR GUN?"

Over time she started realizing it was a good thing and the exclaimations faded away. A couple near 'incidents' reinforced the need.

Now she has her own permit and joins me at our local matches. She likes the 45 the best.:eek:

Myles
March 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
Horrible stance and grip. Technically, she should never be able to hit the side of a barn. From the inside.

With a .357 or a .380, she can drill the center X. I don't understand it, or even criticize her hold any more. She nails it, always. I don't judge the methods, just the results. And I love her even more.

Bianchi?
March 15, 2013, 04:30 AM
What significant other? Being a swinging bachelor means more money (and time) for shooting!

PVD
March 15, 2013, 11:12 AM
My wife doesn't care for shooting but she's happy that I have something I enjoy doing. Being a good sport she'll occasionally accompany me to the range. Here she is receiving instruction from my friend, Don, who has offered to let her try his .410 O/U at the skeet field.

AlbertH
March 15, 2013, 01:23 PM
I got my first rifle when I was about 12, it was a single shot bolt action 22 from Sears, My dad took me to Williams Gun Sight and we got a rear peep site for it. I spent the next 6 years shooting that in 4-H competitions. When I was 16 I got my first shotgun, did a lot of trap shooting back than, was pretty good at the five stand. When I was 18 I got my deer rifle and then shortly after that I met what was to be my first wife and the guns got put away. Fast forward 40 years and my wife of 8 years decides she wants to get her CPL license so I ask if I could tag along and get mine. Once we got our permits we started purchasing handguns and shooting on a regular basis.

When I asked her the reason she wanted to get her CPL, she told me. "People are tired of paying taxes and police don't work for free"

Al

bergmen
March 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
His & Hers Rock Chuckers:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/Bergmen/Firearms%20and%20Shooting/Reloading-General/IMG_1249_zps1c0a9ad7.jpg

Dan

hang fire
March 15, 2013, 02:50 PM
Wife and I will soon celebrate our 53 years of marriage. At 72, she has more guns than I do, not only still shoots, but also still reloads.

It has always been so, when the kids were still at home, she and they would reload during the week so we could go shooting on weekends.

Ashcons
March 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
My wife's parents sent her off to a summer camp deal out for a few summers around middle school and jr high. She won archery and rifle competitions at the camp, so had a favorable first hand experience with shooting and enjoys going to the range with me. Unfortunately, we haven't had the time to go in a while :(

jamesbeat
March 15, 2013, 03:45 PM
Not yet, but she's not against guns and I'm working on it :D
I just bought my first .22 rifle for wholesome family fun.
I imagine that pretty much anyone who experiences plinking with a semiauto .22 is going to enjoy it.

KC&97TA
March 15, 2013, 04:56 PM
Been Married almost 10 years, She likes to shoot, just as much as I do. After she got over the first handgun staying "loaded" and gained a liking for Revolvers, I decided to keep her around for a few more years even though she doesn't care for Glocks.

I'll do a little bragging, The little woman has 9 expert rifle / 4 expert pistol qualifications (USMC), used to shoot for the Camp Pendleton Shooting team (USMC) has a NM Rifle build by Dennis Demill, a 45 Hard Ball Springfield and a SAM-R Clone build by a 2112 (USMC Armorer). Female high shooter, Female high team at the CG Cup trap tournament. She was also the first female through USMC Engineer School Urban Breachers Course, which lead to her Mossberg shotgun. Tragically all was lost in a canoe accident in deep water, shortly after typing this ;)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/cairnskl350/0302131703-00_zps3cbe77b9.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r183/cairnskl350/1215121641-01_zps1e89866e.jpg

Airbrush Artist
March 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
No ,but she throws stuff at Me!

Airbrush Artist
March 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Wow ,I like the skull designs on the gun ,I airbrushed these on a Guys ford truck emblems ,I think I might try them on a gun stock..https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1142594806367.103492.1272374653&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=3989287371902&set=a.1142594806367.103492.1272374653&type=3&theater

megaton
March 15, 2013, 08:08 PM
My wife is a casual shooter, meaning that she enjoys shooting so long as the weather is nice and I keep it interesting. She doesn't enjoy punching holes in paper, she wants to shoot something that reacts like a clay pigeon or a steel gong. When I'm working up a new load she will come to keep me company and record chrono data but won't shoot as she finds that aspect of shooting to be boring.

helitack32f1
March 15, 2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, my wife shoots but not very often, mostly because we rarely have the time. She got a Glock 23 for her 21st birthday but has since moved on to a Walther PK380 due to hand strength issues. She did take a handgun course taught by Mike Hughes and a couple others from Top Shot.

One problem is, she will let me buy nearly any gun I want which is not a good thing considering our lack of funds combined with my desire to buy just about every gun I come across!

jamesbeat
March 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
I was just talking to my wife about guns, and to my surprise (she's not a gun person) she said she wanted a handgun.
She told me she doesn't feel safe taking the kids out, citing an incident in which a guy stabbed a kid in Dave & Busters a while back.
I explained the NY handgun licensing proceedure, and also explained that even of she had a handgun license she wouldn't be allowed to carry it.
She went into a tirade about being an American citizen, and who are they to tell her she couldn't carry a gun!

I was proud and sad at the same time...

Huskerguy
March 16, 2013, 08:58 AM
My bride of 40 years grew up on a farm in western Kansas where her father shot pheasants with a 22 in the head do he didn't mess up the meat. She never shot much. In our younger days she would shoot with me and a few of the other guys and maybe their wives. She has shot everything up to a 44 mag in a pistol and my 06. She had the 06 come up and hit her in the eye once so she doesn't pick that one up. She does come to the range with me, sometimes to watch and sometimes she shoots. She has her own firearms she takes care of including a LCR for CC. I am truly blessed in many ways to be married to this Godly woman.

Nalgi
May 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
Got her a 300WSM and she's gone wild!
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/pruneemac/Kaysbear1.jpg (http://s423.photobucket.com/user/pruneemac/media/Kaysbear1.jpg.html)

Piratesailor
May 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
My wife shoots better than me. I let her use one if my xd's with a prp trigger and new sights.. I'm yet to get it back.. She loved it.

Her wish for Mother's Day was to go to the range, which we did. Her present today was a certificate for any handgun she wants (I want mine back).

She's also a member of "girls and a gun" and shoots a minimum of once a week.

Hokkmike
May 12, 2013, 04:58 PM
After 41 years of marriage she applied for LTCF and bought her first revolver.

No, I think I'm OK.........

420Stainless
May 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
Yes. I have to make sure she's expecting me before I wonder through the door.

Drue
May 12, 2013, 05:53 PM
My wife likes to shoot trap, skeet & sporting clays. Once in a while she goes to the range with me to shoot her S&W M60.

Drue

Agsalaska
May 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
Not much. I can usually get her to shoot a glock or a 38 once a year or so just to hear it and feel it. But I was shooting turtles in one of the ponds with her yesterday. She wanted me to hurry up and finish so we could fish. But she has shot plenty of guns in her life and knows what she is doing. I wouldnt want to break in my house and challenge her. I couple of years ago we were deer hunting on the last day of the season with no meat yet in the freezer. She did take a rifle and go to a deer stand and would have shot one if I didnt get a doe right after we all went out. But that is because she wants the meet. Oddly the one thing I could probably get her to do that she has enjoyed in the past is shooting clays with a 20 gauge. But I havent shot a shotgun in years.

The good thing is she will field dress, clean and bone anything I shoot. ONe year when I was living in Anchorage we were hunting back home in Texas. I was 4 hours away from a flight out of Austin 90 miles from the airport. I shot a doe. She field dressed and boned it in about 40 minutes while I had a couple of beers. We dropped it off on the way to the airport and had it shipped to us. I dont know anyone faster and cleaner preparing a dead animal than my wife.

rookorami
May 13, 2013, 12:02 AM
My wife had never really been around them much growing up but was never really against them. Got her to the range and she was happy with the .380 we got her for a while. After some convincing I got her to try a friends .357 which she really like and on the way home said she wanted one. :D Naturally we had one within a couple months... She hasn't shown much interest in long guns besides the AR and the .22 but I am workin on getting her to try a larger caliber rifle.

RBid
May 13, 2013, 12:06 AM
My lady has an LCP, and loves to shoot when we have time to make a joint range visit work. She'll put 18/20 on a pie plate at 50 feet with any service pistol. She gets disproportionately better as the target gets closer. I've seen her punch 1 hole at 7 yards with a PF-9. That was about 20 minutes after the first shot she ever fired.

I'm in love.

Serenity
May 13, 2013, 01:32 AM
My husband is a fair weather shooter, as well. He shot as a kid and can run a gun and enjoys the 38 special. He is patient with my hobby as long as I don't spend too much. The 38 is necessary (he grew up in Texas and everyone should have a gun in the house); anything beyond that is a luxury as far as he is concerned. He did buy me a couple of boxes of ammo at Cabelas today (after we ate fantastic buffalo burgers).

Happy Mothers Day to all of the other moms on here!

blarby
May 13, 2013, 01:40 AM
Better than I do.

okiewita40
May 13, 2013, 01:45 AM
Been married for 24 years. My wife is completely anti-gun. Doesn't want them in the house. But I buy them and bring them in anyways. She gets used to them after a couple of weeks. Problem solved.

r1derbike
May 13, 2013, 03:12 AM
Wife just got into it, after a possible multiple intruder home invasion, that she thwarted by slamming the door and locking it quickly. She is scared around guns, won't go into that other than an ex.

She got a .38 special, since she can't rack any semi-autos. We're going to the range tomorrow so she may shoot it the first time. She tried many rentals, but settled on the .38 sp., as her first gun. She felt vulnerable without me, as I carry everywhere, even when I'm home. So there's the nudging she needed to become armed, and possibly not be a vicitim. The AR she has access to, but will not shoot it, after I let her try it at an outdoor range with several hundred yard (and up to 700 yard targets). OK I respect that, but argue with her the AR would be a most desirable SD weapon for all the right reasons. Nogo. It scares her. The important thing is she feels safer now, it's a nightstand gun, and she will never carry. She flatly refuses, so she's vulnerable in her car. Will work on that aspect some more.

Sorry for the tome, but I feel she isn't really committed to the whole concept of gun ownership. Won't practice dry fire drills, or tactical areas in case of multiple intruders. I get the impression she would rather it do the work on its own! At least it's there...

We compete at the range, so I don't know what the hangup is? Possibly bad memories.

foghornl
May 13, 2013, 07:44 AM
Mrs. Foggy doesn't shoot, but she does surprise me from time to time with a new "Shootin' Iron"

Last one was my favorite, the Springfield Armory "GI-45"

LaVere
May 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
Yes my wife and she is a grandmother. Shoots with me and with out me. She and two other ladies went to the range quite often this winter ( indoor range).
She out shoots me by a long shot no pun intended. I bought her her own 22 target pistol. All I do is clean it and oil it. I like to do that any way. She has shot my AR 15 and 9 mm sig. Both not pleasant for her. But she tries. Oh and she out shoots me every time.

pockets
May 14, 2013, 08:10 AM
My wife of 32 years does not really shoot. She learned to shoot when we were dating, but she doesn't enjoy it. No big deal, I don't enjoy 4 hours of shoe shopping.
However, she does get miffed at me if I come home from the gun store without a gun purchase. Several times she has insisted that I return to the shop immediately and bring home what caught my eye that day. I even have a few pistols and rifles which were Christmas or birthday presents that she has bought for me over the years.
It works for us, 32 years of marriage is nothing to sneeze at these days (or any days).

DsbJax
May 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
Wife and daughter both shoot. Wife just got her concealed permit and the daughter wants to get it this summer.

Jim, West PA
May 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
Does this answer your question ? :D
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172943&d=1349477971

Ignition Override
May 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
No, and she told me that her arms are pretty weak. This is the case, even though I offered to help support a .22 rifle with a tree branch.

There is no real interest, and her Type One diabetes limits her walks and bike rides to short durations.

r1derbike
May 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Took my wife to the indoor range the first time yesterday, so she could break-in her .38 special (had it for weeks and weeks, no ammo). She has always been very jumpy and frightened of my XD-S, every time I took her to the range to "witness". I let her shoot it once and it was enough. She always backed-up against the back wall when I was in a lane shooting. Said muzzle blast was too loud and she didn't like to feel the firing concussion. This after both earplugs and super muffs.

Her tune changed after firing her new .38 special. She seemed disappointed her 50 round box emptied, so I broke-out the XD-S and she still stood against the back wall and only ventured off it to sweep-up my brass.

She did very, very well with her targets, and will do much better when I dry fire (protected) her pistol hundreds of times to break-in the action before next trip. She said one flyer almost off the corner of the paper was a fly she was aiming at...we both got a good laugh out of that one!

She received a free NRA membership with her sidearm, filled-it-out and sent it, and was beaming from ear to ear about her new hobby...with me!

Seriously, what better shooting partner could one have but their wife? She went from terrified of all weapons to a, "I can't put this thing down" proud owner, all in one range session!

We had an SD issue pop-up several months ago, that was resolved by my wife slamming and locking the door, and she confided she didn't feel safe while I was away, and she did not feel comfortable with my longarm (even though she shot it on an outdoor range, so it could stretch it legs) so we "had the talk".

I'm so glad it ended well, for both myself and her. Yowza!

zdc1775
May 14, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yes my wife of 4 1/2 years has more guns than I do, prefers guns as gifts over jewelry, and has told me that if I buy the CZ I want she will use it on me because she is buying it for me. Not the most accurate shot but she is getting better with every trip. She is even learning how to reload now. I definitely married up and have one hell of a keeper.

*Btw she does have sisters, but only one is interested in shooting.

Ranb
May 17, 2013, 11:03 AM
My first wife was not interested in shooting, but did not get in my way. Before I got married a second time my wife and I agreed that she would not complain about my guns unless I was irresponsible with them. But she had no interest in shooting despite my efforts at encouragement.

After eght years I finally got her to the range when I visited my brother in Vegas. It was a chilly 68 degrees and we had the range to ourselves. I, my brother and my niece were shooting suppressed rifles and my wife finally sat behind a suppressed Savage MKii with subsonic ammo. The double hearing protection helped too. :)

She decided shooting was fun especially after I got the scope adjusted for her. She put 15 rounds into a two inch group at 100 yards. I assured her that it was good shooting especially for a novice. After a while she got tired of changing mags every five rounds, so I bought her two ten round mags. Then she got tired of cycling the bolt for each round so I bought and customized a 10/22 with a heavy barrel, whittled down stock and 4x12 Nikon scope.

She has recently chastised me for allowing our supply of ammo to dip below 6000 rounds right before Sandy Hook. Now we are down to 2000 rounds. I hope to get her to shoot pistols and larger caliber rifles, but for now she enjoys going to the range with me.

Ranb

BrotherFrankie
May 17, 2013, 11:30 AM
my wife was a marine.. but never owned or carried a gun...

she now sleeps with my 357 on the night stand..

shoots better than me...

and just told me to mail her appy in for her cwfl..

now if she would only start cleaning what she shoots.. and keep her hands off my weapons.. LOL

Delford
May 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
Funny how everyone in my wife's family has (had) a handgun except her. I didn't get into shooting until 5 years ago and now target shoot once a month to stay in practice on my CC .45. She has no interest. My son's wife shoots skeet and handguns. My daughter's husband and his family shoot. One of these days a couple of our friends wives are going to get CC permits so I hope she'll jump on board then. I'm not sure why she has no interest but if I find out I'll do what I can to overcome it.

Delford
May 17, 2013, 06:04 PM
Jim, West PA
I admire your wife's patience and ability to shoot a flintlock. That is amazing. :-)

Onward Allusion
May 17, 2013, 06:06 PM
Entire family shoots. I am blessed. :)

MagnumWill
May 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
Back when we were 16-ish, she was pretty standoff-ish about guns in general. Now she carries her P238 and wants a 1911 .45.

She loves the big guns as well. Look at her now :evil:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b419/will__berry/IMG_1005_zpscd89b92c.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b419/will__berry/IMG_0993_zps5a547176.jpg

She bought that RPK for me as a gift :neener: I did buy her an AR in return, however.

CH47gunner
May 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
Yes -

First Valentines present to her 27 years ago - Ruger 10/22.

Her eyes lit-up when she saw my XM-15 - "Can I shoot it?" "Yes, if you can cock it". She flipped it over, grabbed the charging handle, jacked it back, then just grinned at me.

She can out shoot me with most hand-guns (she doesn't care for the magnums) but, not a long-gun.

Unfortunately, she also thinks the gunsafe is her K-mart - she's "liberated" more than a couple of my favs.

She's worth it.

raddiver
May 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
She does, and sadly she is a better shot than i am. I lost a 1911 to her finding that out the hard way.

NHCraigT
May 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
Wife shoots: She's purchased her own firearms, taken shooting classes on her own, and goes to the range on her own (cause I am working).

Springfield0612
July 2, 2013, 06:57 PM
My wife grew up in WA and was taught that you don't need a gun, that is what the police are for. Then she married me, I slowly introduced her but no real interest at first. The typical, "I don't understand what is so great about going to the gun range." Then she didn't understand why I wanted to start reloading even after the explanation of cost and volume. I let her shoot my Springfield XD 4" Compact she didn't like it the first couple times. Then I got her a cheap .380 Hi-point, She hated it and said it was too weak, so I let her pick her next gun, Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm. She liked it, but the small frame and light weight made it hard to be accurate. Then she started shooting my XD more as we were at the range under my advice that she needed to be familiar with my gun as well just in case. Then she realized that the .45 ACP was a really good caliber and started popping bullseyes and kept telling me she was going to take mine if I didn't buy her one. Now she has a .45 XDs and loves it! We go shooting now at least twice a month, she now supports my reloading addiction and nods and smiles when I talk reloading like she cares, we go brass hunting with the kids and she even digs lead out of the hills for me to cast.
My 3 year old daughter loves to shoot my .22 LR and I cannot get her to not rapid fire, she loves pulling that trigger fast as she can! But her smile afterward is well worth the frustration! She helps me reload, and if I let her get close enough I'm sure she'd help me cast bullets as well.
My wife has now gone from not understanding guns, to attending a NRA Women On Target course, Utah non-resident CCW class and is now a card holder, has her WA CCW card, owns three handguns, has shot a multitude of handguns, rifles, shotguns, and loves them all. Recently she got to shoot a .348 winchester lever action and she explained to me that her next gun needs to be a lever action rifle and she wants to try cowboy action type shooting! The best part, when I disappear into the garage now for hours to do some casting or reloading........ She understands, and is happy we have lots and lots of ammo to go practice with!
On a follow up, I have converted her entire family and all now have their WA CCW and have all purchased PD weapons and have changed their minds about guns and ownership.

HexHead
July 2, 2013, 09:53 PM
My wife enjoys shooting. She's shot IDPA with me and likes to shoot in GSSF matches. She's got her carry permit and is a NRA life member.

Akita1
July 2, 2013, 10:42 PM
Nice pics brethren. Mine's an early-tutored shooter (military Dad). BTW an excellent platform to teach the kinder - both Mommy AND Daddy know how to shoot…

Ignition Override
July 3, 2013, 03:50 AM
You guys who shoot with girlfriends, wifes etc are really fortunate.

MagnumWill: those are very cool photos, in a beautiful state. Has she watched "Enemy At The Gates"?

GDownRange
July 4, 2013, 11:32 PM
I've tried several tactics to get my wife involved in shooting. Everything from telling her how fun it is, to how important it can be for self defense. Nothing has worked. On the bright side, our daughter enjoys going to the range and is developing into a fine shooter.

xxjumbojimboxx
July 4, 2013, 11:48 PM
My babe shoots skeet. I was surprised today, I was out back shooting my pellet gun and she took it from me and fired off about 30 pellets.... I didn't interrupt her so I could shoot. I though, if shes shooting and enjoying it... Ill let her be... Lately shes asked for me to strategically place guns in different parts of the house... I had to fight her to leave one by the bed at first.. Now she wants one thats easily accessable in two other rooms!!!... Which is awesome :) Im winning this battle.

http://s14.postimg.org/yh6pcfab5/jackie1.jpg

She likes it :)

http://s23.postimg.org/bgi7zht2z/jackie.jpg

Magnuumpwr
July 5, 2013, 12:02 AM
Not only does she shoot her guns, but she also shoots mine. I keep telling her, what is yours is yours and what is mine is mine. I know she does not understand what I am telling her, she still shoots my guns.:banghead: Told her if she wants to shoot ??? then she needs to buy one!

cfullgraf
July 5, 2013, 12:09 AM
My wife of 37 years shoots a little but not in quite a while. Skeet and handgun mostly. She does support my hobby to the fullest.

xxjumbojimboxx
July 5, 2013, 12:10 AM
Back when we were 16-ish, she was pretty standoff-ish about guns in general. Now she carries her P238 and wants a 1911 .45.

She loves the big guns as well. Look at her now :evil:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b419/will__berry/IMG_1005_zpscd89b92c.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b419/will__berry/IMG_0993_zps5a547176.jpg

She bought that RPK for me as a gift :neener: I did buy her an AR in return, however.
RPK? she seems wonderful!

Sniper Mosin?? ... You're a lucky man

Hondo 60
July 5, 2013, 12:16 AM
My "significant other" wants a Taurus Model 85 with pink grips.
If & when she consents to be my wife, I'll get it for her.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=729&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

JohnKSa
July 5, 2013, 12:23 AM
Yup, she does. She had a gun when I married her and one of our first couple of dates included a range trip.

At first, she was purely interested in firearms from a practical, self-defense standpoint, but over the years, she's become more involved in competition and recreational shooting.

It's nice to not have to argue about firearms related issues, but there are downsides. Paying double every time you go to the range, shooting up twice as much ammunition and and having twice as many guns to clean when you get home. And the gun safe fills up faster too... :D

cfullgraf
July 5, 2013, 12:35 AM
My "significant other" wants a Taurus Model 85 with pink grips.
If & when she consents to be my wife, I'll get it for her.

If it rings her bell, great. I hope you both become life long friends and companions.

Jokingly, I always point out pictures and ads of guns with pink frames or grips to my wife and she always makes negative comments. She prefers blued guns.:)

tbk5
July 5, 2013, 07:41 AM
Not really but she finally got her license to carry. We have an unwritten rule here--I don't ask her how many saddles she has and she doesn't ask me how many guns I have. We are in MA with some screwy laws. When she realized that if she used one of my guns for defense while I was away, we would both be in the clink--she got her license. She comes to the range with me occasionally. I am not pressing here--in due time. I think she is embarrassed that she isn't a good shot. But, she prefers riding her horses over going to the range to practice. I am working on getting her to an Appleseed.

irl104
July 5, 2013, 02:40 PM
Yes she does. Bought her a shotgun for Valentines Day for a joke. Best present she ever got.

T2K
July 7, 2013, 05:17 AM
Yes, she does, and I am happy to say I got her into it (though not in a pushy way) and taught her. She had never fired a gun before we started dating.

Now, she actively looks for range time with the .38 S&W snub nose I got her. She likes to shoot lower-powered wadcutter target rounds at this point, but we're getting up to normal JHP rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your significant other shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!