How do you store/transport your pistol reloads?

PDA

Triumph
March 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
When reloading pistol how do you store your bulk reloads?

I saw a thread with one of the THR members that put his .45 ACP reloads in a 50 cal ammo can. It looks like he had a whole can full. They appeared to be cast reloads. I've lost track of the thread now & cant remember which one it was.

Is this o.k. for pistol rounds? I realize people probably don't transport like this but just talking about storing in your home.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store/transport your pistol reloads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingmt
March 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
Why not transport like that? Wish I had some but I'm to cheap to buy them. I use USPS boxes.

GCBurner
March 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
In 100-round plastic ammo boxes of the appropriate calibre, labeled with date, powder charge, and bullet.

ngaither
March 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
I use alot of the MTM boxes for the storage and make my own labels. But you can just use old factory boxes if you have them laying around. They just don't last as long.

Jeff H
March 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
I saw a thread with one of the THR members that put his .45 ACP reloads in a 50 cal ammo can. It looks like he had a whole can full. They appeared to be cast reloads. I've lost track of the thread now & cant remember which one it was.

A 50 cal ammo can is going to be really heavy, 30 cal can is heavy enough. It holds 700 rounds by the way.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-D9T5uempAOw/UT5B-PaXvJI/AAAAAAAAFWU/4IXRoq5H2bY/s598/IMAG0945.jpg

dtalley
March 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
I also use plastic ammo boxes but I have started attempting to fill some 50cal ammo cans with loose rounds. Just started with .223rem recently and only have a single stage press but I have put 750 rounds in a can and still have lots of room. When I get it full I will start on 9mm and 45acp. as long as my componets last anyway. Hope we can start getting Primers, powder and bullets again soon.:fire:

Fire_Moose
March 13, 2013, 05:11 PM
The 250 count Berry's boxes are great for finished rounds.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

esheato
March 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Dillon Border Shift bag....2 pouches and you fill one with empty brass as you empty the loaded ammo side.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0qYRL4E7TB83IB7ZlEv2hHqtyJ4R_k5bjU70imdSgrgKxecaqpA

Bagmaster makes great ammo bags.
http://www.bagmaster.com/images/products/BB_2_Large.jpg

EDIT: I load in quantity for pistol, and everything gets dumped into ammo cans..usually 30 cal ones. My main practice gun, usually my .40, goes in the Dillon bag with the stuff I shoot less of in the Bagmaster bags. I refill as necessary.

holdencm9
March 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
I use alot of the MTM boxes for the storage and make my own labels. But you can just use old factory boxes if you have them laying around. They just don't last as long.

If you wrap some duct tape around them to stiffen/reinforce them, they last a lot longer.

45lcshooter
March 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
Mtm boxes in ammo cans. Can walk up to the ammo can get how many MTM boxes I want to take and walk out the door.

For overstock yea just throwing loose in a ammo can you can get a lot more ammo in. But if you decide to have a last minute range trip, it can take a few minutes to load into MTM boxes or factory boxes.

All my reloads go in factory boxes that I robbed from the range's trash cans and neatly organized.

James2
March 13, 2013, 05:55 PM
What do you have handy?
Cardboard boxes, cloth bags, empty ice cream buckets, etc.
I have stored and hauled ammo in all sorts of containers even down to Zip-loc freezer bags.

All my reloads go in factory boxes that I robbed from the range's trash cans and neatly organized.

I like that. I seldom go to a public range and seldom buy any factory ammo so regular ammo boxes are in short supply.

dnite
March 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
I like the MTM boxes of 100ct but Plano makes a nice more compact box.

For my tw0 buddies that I reload for I use a zip lock bag with the date,cal.,bullet etc written on a sticky in the bag.

I use 50cal ammo cans like JeffH does also for long term storage.

gamestalker
March 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
Most of my reloads are stored in plastic ammo boxes. As for metal ammo cans, I don't really like them because you have to take an entire can full where ever you go. Back when I first started reloading I would just make my own cardboard ammo containers that would hold 20, 50, or 100 rounds. I still use that method form time to time, usually when I'm loading for a friend or family member that doesn't have a box to store them in. But I always, always, label all containers with the specifics of the load, and the caliber cartridge.

GS

Zardaia
March 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
The zip locks work great to keep a few rounds each seperate taking test loads to the range. Once I settle on what to make in bulk, some goes in a few empty factory boxes and the rest in .50 cal can with a stickie note load data. Found that a piece of cardboard can be used to split up the can for diff calibers. Yes it's heavy, but not like I'm taking the whole can to the range.

chris in va
March 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
I just use a gallon freezer bag and mark it with the load specs

floydster
March 13, 2013, 06:50 PM
If you order bullets from Berry's, they come in nice plastic containers and are great for storing your loaded rounds for taking to the range.

No, I don't have connections with Berry's:)

Smokeyloads

RustyFN
March 13, 2013, 07:10 PM
How do you store/transport your pistol reloads?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this o.k. for pistol rounds? I realize people probably don't transport like this but just talking about storing in your home.

I store them in ammo cans. I have a can for each caliber. When I go to the range I just grab the cans that go with the guns I'm shooting.

JSmith
March 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
If you order bullets from Berry's, they come in nice plastic containers

I ordered 1000 each of 220 gr. .44 and 125 gr. .38 last spring and those came in cardboard boxes.

I store finished ammo in those MTM boxes.

Sam1911
March 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Some stuff in the plastic MTM or Midway boxes. A lot just dumped into cardboard boxes the bullets come in. A 500-count bullet box holds 350-400 loaded 9mms.

Skulptor
March 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
I cut the good part off of the legs of old jeans, sew up the bottom and but a draw string in the top. The sizes are whatever I want to make them. I have a 100ct. size for my IDPA matches, etc. Something soft sided like that takes up less room, especially in my range bag. I also use them for spent brass. They are plenty strong.

oldpapps
March 13, 2013, 07:55 PM
This is another one of those 'depends' situations.

Multiple bulk loads, .40 S&W & .45 ACPs come to mind. These are standardized loadings and get zip lock bagged in groups of 100. To store or move will be determined by how many, how long, how far. To take to my range, carry the baggie out the door to the pick nick table and shoot. 50 cal ammo cans when full of the above, are a bit much to tote about for long very far. They work better for storage.

Moving on to limited loadings or testing loads or specialty loads. Plastic boxes work well. Loading blocks do well for me. Sometimes a baggie with a note listing what that load is may be in order.

Larger/rifle loads will come down to who many and what. My .375 H&H Mags go into plastic boxes (not that I load that many at one time). Bulked out .223/5.56 get zip lock bags like .40s and .45s.

Back when.... .38 Spec wad cutters came in short white boxes with plastic standing holders. These when flipped over would hold 50 .45 ACPs very well. 500 round of .45s in these boxes fit well into a 50 cal ammo can. Just don't plan on carrying them around all day. Too bad I don't see them anymore.

Use what you've got that works. I have one of my grand daughters discarded school back packs with a small supply for a quick grab bag. So, don't laugh at my 'Dora' bag :D

Adk Mike
March 13, 2013, 08:48 PM
All my bullets I use milk cartons cut at 4 inches. Loaded in one and empties in another. My range box is eight inches wide so they sit in it side by side. Very simple system. The older I get the less stuff I buy .

cfullgraf
March 13, 2013, 09:43 PM
For handgun cartridges, I use alot of 50 round plastic ammunition boxes which are then stored in metal ammo cans. If I have more rounds than boxes, I load up ZipLoc (r) bags with 50 rounds per bag and put them in a metal ammunition can.

When I go to shoot, I like to go with fixed amount of ammunition for the plans of the day. Easy to grab the appropriate number of 50 round containers and I do not shoot more than I budget for.

Rifle rounds get packaged in plastic boxes, stripper clips or enbloc clips, then stored in metal ammunition cans.

Walkalong
March 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
Bags, boxes, first aid kits, ammo cans, plastic hinged ammo boxes,......

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8225861&postcount=7

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7181523&postcount=12

bigdogpete
March 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
I store my bulk ammo in 50 and 30 cal. ammo boxes. Some loose and some boxed up.

Sapper771
March 13, 2013, 10:58 PM
Tupperware/ziploc containers.

mbopp
March 13, 2013, 10:58 PM
Being a cheap SOB, I dive the garbage cans at the range for empty cardboard ammo boxes. You can use .40S&W boxes for 45ACP.

FROGO207
March 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
I have several various sized ammo boxes I store loaded ammo in. First I put a fixed amount in a quart Zip-Loc freezer bag with load info on a piece of paper and close after removing the excess air. Then those are stored in various larger ammo boxes. This keeps the rounds dry and from tarnishing among other things. I transfer what I want to use by the bag to several 30 CAL ammo cans to transport ammo to the range. Then the fired brass gets put back in the baggies with the load info paper so I know what to replace to keep my stock the same and dropped into a 5 gallon bucket to take home and reload. Keep the amounts of ammo small and use freezer bags (not sandwich bags) and they will not puncture the bag and fall out causing a possible dangerous situation.

Ditchtiger
March 13, 2013, 11:09 PM
I store my bulk ammo in 50 and 30 cal. ammo cans.
50 and 100-round plastic ammo boxes are not space efficient.

Mobuck
March 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
Peanut butter jars and coffee cans are the most often used here. Any semi-sealable container that has been thoroughly cleansed of oils/corrosives. Long term is usually in ammo cans.

twice barrel
March 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
same here

Reefinmike
March 14, 2013, 12:02 AM
I dig through the trash at the range for boxes, I dig through the brass in front of the firing line and I dig lead out of the berm. There is no shame to it when im blasting away as much as I want while others are slowly plinking away with their 16 cent per round 22lr. Federal champion and blazer ammo trays for 380, 38, 357 9mm are my favorite for 35 cal ammo. They are sturdy and fit nice and snug 4 to the bottom of a fiddy cal can. These trays http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=178129&d=1358895017 are great for 45, you can fit 20 boxes of 45 in a 50 can with these.

I just box em up, slap a sticker with the date of manufacture on em and throw them in a can. Ive done 45 loose in a can but I got tired of wiping off the alox on each bullet. let me tell you, 1,350 rounds of 230gr 45 weighs about 70 pounds and isnt easy to move around.

lightman
March 14, 2013, 12:04 AM
I'm another MTM user, and I usually put them in ammo cans. Some just gets dumped in the can, depending on its intended use. I wipe the ammo can out with a soapy rag and squirt some silicone spray on the gasket. Some ammo cans come from military bases or even from war zones and can be quiet dirty. Some type of label gets put on the handle side of the ammo can, and on the MTM boxes. Lightman

zxcvbob
March 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
MTM boxes, 1 gallon paint cans, salted peanut cans.

I also pick up empty ammo boxes at the range and turn them inside-out and reglue them to make plain boxes for stuff where I only want 50 and I want it to look nice.

GT1
March 14, 2013, 12:40 AM
MTM boxes, in MTM plastic 'ammo cans'.

jfrey
March 14, 2013, 12:53 AM
30 cal. ammo boxes. Each is marked with caliber on the lid.

Shmackey
March 14, 2013, 01:11 AM
I used to use the MTM boxes until I reloaded so much that they became cost-prohibitive.

Now I just use generic Ziploc bags and those semi-disposable Ziploc/Glad/whatever food containers.

Lj1941
March 14, 2013, 01:21 AM
I store my reloads in plastic 50 or 100 round ammo boxes of the correct size with cheap stick on 1X3 label with the data , date, bullet, primer ect.If I run out I use empty bullet boxes also correctly labeled.I then store them by caliber in mostly 50 cal ammo cans that I got from various sources including one that I stored my shoe shine kit when I was in the Army.:)

Jaxondog
March 14, 2013, 01:29 AM
This is a few of many way's I do it. I like the gal. size Ice-cream tub's a lot and they are stackable. Just be sure to have the lid on when using carry handle. Very sturdy and I know you can eat a gal. of Ice-cream a week.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/jaxondog102/Snazzy/Gunsandthings044_zps13d76bf8.jpg

maxyedor
March 14, 2013, 01:40 AM
Don't take a .50cal ammo can full of .45 to the range. You'll leave with an empty ammo can and a dirty 1911.

I store my bulk plinking rounds in .50cal cans, have a couple of each caliber. I have them in 500round bags that I seal with a desicant pack at work. Probably overkill, but it's free, and can't hurt.

Tim the student
March 14, 2013, 01:43 AM
Coffee cans usually. Sometimes just a gallon sized ziplock for short term storage.

1SOW
March 14, 2013, 03:37 AM
For Bulk Pistol: Berry's & Zero bullets come in small boxes that hold 1000 & 500 "bullets" respectively. I use those boxes for those cartridges I load. They hold about half that many loaded cartridges. For other brand bullets, I relabel more boxes--:-) They stack neatly and aren't awkward to handle or even throw into a range bag.

I keep a good supply of color coded and labelled MTM (hinged) boxes loaded and carry 200-400rds to the range or matches. The MTM hinged lids don't self-close!!!

I refill the MTM boxes out of the bulk boxes already marked from the manufacturer with the bullet and have my load labels on them.

Works for me

Rangemaster
March 14, 2013, 08:46 AM
I use two gallon plastic buckets with lids.
You can get these used from your local supermarket, just go talk to someone in the bakery dept.

J_McLeod
March 14, 2013, 08:54 AM
I use plastic ammo boxes. But I only have a few of them. 6x 9mm/.380, 4x 40, 2x 223 and 2x .357. The rest go in plastic bags. However they are stored, there is a label with the load recipe in it. With plastic bags, I'll write it on the bag.

jamesb
March 14, 2013, 09:03 AM
I use plastic ammo boxes for some of my reloads, the smaller amounts of specialty ammo. For my bulk stuff I keep them in plastic coffee containors I get from work.

Sound Dude
March 14, 2013, 09:30 AM
For all my ammo, not just pistol rounds, I use either 4 x 6 or 6 x 8 poly bags, 4 mil thickness. I bought a seam sealer on Ebay. Count out the bullets into bags, put in a load identification tag, then seal the bag. The bags of pistol rounds then go into a 50 cal ammo can, rifle rounds into a 30 cal can. When I go to the range, I just grab bags of ammo from the cans and toss them into the range bag and I'm ready to go. To help with bagging large numbers of rounds I bought a counting scale. That way once I set it for 50 rounds, I no longer have to count out the rounds into the bags. I've been using this system for about 10 years now, and it works great. The poly bags I get from ULine for around $20 per 1000. I sold all my plastic ammo boxes.

jim243
March 14, 2013, 10:05 AM
plastic ammo boxes are not space efficient.

You can say that again. When I first started reloading, I would always use the plastic MTM boxes marked and labeled. Ran out of storage space quickly, especially when doing 500 rounds at a time. It gets expensive and is not efficient. Tried ammo cans, but they get very heavy fast with all that lead in them.

Today it is the Zip Lock bags marked with a perm marker (be sure to use the freezer bags), not the neatest method, but effective.

Jim

zxcvbob
March 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
For all my ammo, not just pistol rounds, I use either 4 x 6 or 6 x 8 poly bags, 4 mil thickness. I bought a seam sealer on Ebay. Count out the bullets into bags, put in a load identification tag, then seal the bag. The bags of pistol rounds then go into a 50 cal ammo can, rifle rounds into a 30 cal can. When I go to the range, I just grab bags of ammo from the cans and toss them into the range bag and I'm ready to go. To help with bagging large numbers of rounds I bought a counting scale. That way once I set it for 50 rounds, I no longer have to count out the rounds into the bags. I've been using this system for about 10 years now, and it works great. The poly bags I get from ULine for around $20 per 1000. I sold all my plastic ammo boxes.

Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. I have a vacuum bag sealer (the brand just flew out of my head) but vacuum bags are expensive. This don't really need a vacuum, and it should pull some of the air out and then seal those slick bags just fine...

dragon813gt
March 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
Ammo cans for storage. I just toss them in loosely. MTM boxes for the range if I have them. I stopped using them early on so I don't have that many. Most of the time I count out the rounds and throw them in a ziploc bag. I have a few "SHTF" packs made up that are vacuum sealed. Those were more of an experiment with the sealer since the ammo cans are sealed tightly enough.

Brought to you by TapaTalk

Arkansas Paul
March 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm like most here. I use most any kind of plastic container that I can get my hands on. Peanut butter jars, coffee cans, butter bowls, mayonaise jars, etc. My wife has finally gotten it too. She doesn't throw anything away now. I'll go in the kitchen and there will be a couple of jars on the bar washed for me. :)
I also have a couple of .30 cal ammo cans full of .40s.

Searcher4851
March 14, 2013, 11:08 AM
Bulk ammo of proven loads go into .30 or .50 cal ammo cans for general storage. I then load plastic boxes out of those cans for range trips.
Rounds for load developement go directly into plastic boxes.
Everything is labeled.

fatcpa
March 14, 2013, 12:00 PM
I store the in gallon jugs (with lids) in my shop and transfer them to plastic 50 rd boxes for trips to the range. I'm compulsive. I'll shoot whatever I take to the range, so I manage the trips by limiting what I take. I usually shoot 3 or 4 pistols/revolvers and a rifle or two on each trip.

MARKMALL
March 14, 2013, 01:21 PM
I store my pistol rounds in plastic coffee containers that have handles on them. My rifle rounds are stored in 20 round plastic boxes or empty factory boxes.

MikeS.
March 14, 2013, 02:21 PM
I just use a gallon freezer bag and mark it with the load specs.

Me too.

HOWARD J
March 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/7037/annocntainers.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/annocntainers.jpg/)

Plastic food containers from grocery store

Elkins45
March 14, 2013, 09:05 PM
Let me count all the things I have ammo stored in at the moment...

Metal soup cans
Metal coffee cans
Plastic coffee cans
Plastic screw top peanut butter jars
Reusable food storage containers
Molded ammo boxes (usually reserved for special stuff like jacketed loads)
30 cal ammo cans
Plastic shoe storage boxes from the dollar store
Metal cookie and candy tins

I'm sure there are others I just can't remember at the moment.

orionengnr
March 14, 2013, 10:56 PM
In 100-round plastic ammo boxes of the appropriate calibre, labeled with date, powder charge, and bullet.
^^^^
This, except I use 50-round plastic boxes.

ole farmerbuck
March 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
Lots of magazines.

dickttx
March 15, 2013, 01:56 PM
I try to keep a couple of weeks worth of shooting in MTM 100 round boxes. The rest I keep in my primer brick, powder jug, and bullet box.:D
100 rounds of 45 are getting kind of heavy for me now, so I have thought about going to 50 round boxes. Wish I could find a young, strong someone locally to swap with.:)
I had ammo stored in the CaseGard plastic boxes and labeled for over 40 years while I was not shooting. All was still good.

Certaindeaf
March 15, 2013, 02:01 PM
Wheelbarrow. sixty psi

jcwit
March 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
Plastic MTM cartridge boxes. I don't like loose rounds rattling around.

Certaindeaf
March 15, 2013, 02:38 PM
Plastic MTM cartridge boxes. I don't like loose rounds rattling around.
Those come in pretty handy until you have to dump them out in a bowl or so to lay hands upon them all proper like. I'll usually grab 15-20 in my right hand to load the/a pistol magazine.

rfwobbly
March 15, 2013, 10:30 PM
If you like ammo boxes, then the best place to buy them is Dillon. Typically they sell 10 boxes for ~$10.

Arkansas Paul
March 16, 2013, 10:35 AM

If I did that, I'd have way too much money in ammo boxes.
However, I will look into the Dillon ones at $1 each. I may change from peanut butter jars, plastic coffee cans and butter bowls if they're that cheap.

stiffdogg06
March 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Storage, they are put into $3 paint cans. No need to spend $12+ on an ammo can.
Cans will hold ~1k .40. ~500 7.62x39. ~600-700 5.56. Not pictured, but they also can hold ~200 7.62x54R
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/stiffdogg06/P2210316_zpsc3278495.jpg

When I go to the range, I throw them into Sample Racks.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/stiffdogg06/PC290316.jpg

mavracer
March 16, 2013, 01:19 PM
For transportation I use Plastic boxes for most of my ammo, I use Cheyanne cartridge boxes for Cowboy calibers. For high volume calibers I use 30 cal ammo cans and refill boxes. My ammo shelf stays full most of the time.

bobinoregon
March 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
Zip lock bags with info written on outside stored in ammo cans. Plastic boxes have too much dead space for me, I only use them for the stuff that sits out on shelf for regular use.

Captaingyro
March 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
Tupperware.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/517018/tupperware.jpg

maxyedor
March 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
Storage, they are put into $3 paint cans. No need to spend $12+ on an ammo can.
Cans will hold ~1k .40. ~500 7.62x39. ~600-700 5.56. Not pictured, but they also can hold ~200 7.62x54R.

Not quite as space-efficient as rectangular ammo cans, but that's a great idea. Throw some dessicant in there and seal with silicone and they should last virtually forever.

Triumph
March 21, 2013, 12:15 AM
rfwobbly If you like ammo boxes, then the best place to buy them is Dillon. Typically they sell 10 boxes for ~$10.

I checked out the Dillon boxes on their website. Those look like a great deal.

medalguy
March 21, 2013, 12:25 AM
I still have inexpensive cardboard ammo cartons for sale for those of you who want to pack your ammo neatly in cartons, and not used butter tubs. First, I'm not a dealer, and these are not a business for me. I was looking for a good sturdy box made like the military boxes, couldn't find them, so I had some made for my own use by a friend in the printing business. In order to get the fiberboard I wanted I had to order a lot, and I ended up with extra boxes. These are what I have for sale.

All boxes are made of 18 point white fiberboard, similar to the USGI cartons, and they are unprinted. None require any kind of inserts, and there are no styrofoam trays to break and blow away. They are all reusable many times. You can print labels for them if you wish. And, all boxes are shipped flat so they store easily and take up a minimum of room.

Now, the box details. I have the following boxes left, priced per box:

.45 ACP 50 round cartons .25 each Packs 1,000 per .50 cal can
9mm 50 round cartons .25 each Packs more than 1,000 per .50 cal can
5.56mm 20 round cartons .35 each Packs 820 per .50 cal can
7.62mm 20 round cartons .35 each Packs 460 per .50 cal can
.38 Special 50 round cartons are sold out.
.30 carbine cartons are sold out.
.40 cal cartons are sold out.

I ship the cheapest way, usually flat-rate mail. I can get 200 cartons in a medium box for $11.50. I can quote exact postage after you decide how many of each carton you need. I accept Paypal, cash, check, money orders, and credit cards, whatever works for you.

Let me know what you need and I'll get back with a firm price including shipping.

aliveisalive
March 21, 2013, 06:45 AM
I don't keep but 500 loaded rounds per caliber so I just use the plastic boxes. Don't throw them across the room and that 2.50 box lasts forever.

oneounceload
March 21, 2013, 01:05 PM
Never had any issue using a ziploc bag with a piece of paper noting the load data

PJSprog
March 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
I like the MTM boxes, and keep my rifle loads in them. For handgun loads, though, my fiance has been saving her plastic coffee containers for me. Those things are pretty sturdy, too.

agd1953
March 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
I put them in the 50 rd plastic boxes that factory shells come in then seal them on the wifes food saver. compact can keep charges seperated and water and dirt proof. works great.;)

Motownfire
April 3, 2013, 12:03 PM
I store my bulk handgun rounds in .50 cal ammo cans. I used to use old Folgers coffee cans when I would go out & shoot but I'm not storing handgun ammo in Plano 100 round ammo boxes. All of my rifle rounds are stored in Plano ammo boxes.

tcj
April 3, 2013, 12:13 PM
Plastic boxes to the range...50cal cans @ home.

cwbys4evr
April 3, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ok so in light of the responses, this is probably a dumb question. When you put your finished bullets into a plastic box like MTM, does it matter if they are bullet up or bullet down? Thinking about powder distribution if they are stored for awhle. Probably over thinking.

zxcvbob
April 3, 2013, 12:54 PM
Ok so in light of the responses, this is probably a dumb question. When you put your finished bullets into a plastic box like MTM, does it matter if they are bullet up or bullet down? Thinking about powder distribution if they are stored for awhle. Probably over thinking.

It makes a difference in how easy they are to get out of the box. Try it and see. (some will be easier base up, and some bullet up) Other than that I don't think it makes a difference.

Motownfire
April 3, 2013, 02:54 PM

It doesn't make a difference.

One78Shovel
April 3, 2013, 03:42 PM
I use the MTM ammo boxes. They hold up to 1.3K of bagged 223 bagged in Qty of 100. For pistol, I use same cans and store them in cheap card board boxes or old ammo boxes.

The biggest issue I have with the boxes is the older stuff is always on the bottom without constantly re-boxing. Always have to empty the can to get to the oldest loads.

-178S

fguffey
April 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
Unread March 13, 2013, 03:37 PM #1
Triumph

Posts: 329 How do you store/transport your pistol reloads?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trumph, Quietly, I do not have loaded rounds that can rattle and rub. All of my ammo is placed in organizers I have recovered from dumpsters and g-cans at firing ranges with the approval from the operator and shooters, on occasions the shooter placed the fired cases in the ammo boxes first. Makes no sense to most but when I go to the range I keep cases separated by head stamps, after tumbling the cases are sorted by head stamp and placed back in the same box.

Loading ahead, I have the components, I have no interest in having a 2 year supply loaded in advance. I form cases with success, problem, formed cases that are loaded and stored can cause neck splits, not fair, everyone has case snap back, spring back and or jump back, my formed cases do not have snap, jump or spring, my cases have bullet hold, no matter what, my necks will not loosen their grip, I am the fan of bullet hold, cases that are annealed after forming behave like new cases with less bullet hold.

F. Guffey

dickttx
April 3, 2013, 08:58 PM
I only keep about 500 of each cartridge loaded, and stored in CaseGard boxes.
The rest I store in my powder jug, primer bricks, and bullet boxes.:)
That is always enough for me to shoot for a week or so. Sometime after shooting I always have time to catch back up on my reloading.
This also makes it easier to keep my newest rounds on the bottom of the stack so I don't let a box get old on me.

CGT80
April 4, 2013, 01:13 AM
I use plastic ammo boxes for all my pistol brass. The MTM cases with actual hinges are great because the lid stays open, as seen holding the 460 Mag below. For most of my pistol ammo I use dillon boxes which are pretty inexpensive. I also use old berrys bullet containers and jacketed bullet boxes to hold misc. ammo and some rifle ammo. The plastic 1 pound folgers cans work well too.

I prefer the 100 round boxes. They make it easy to see if I have enough ammo for an outing.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/460273LHP.jpg

dickttx
April 4, 2013, 09:45 AM
eer ah, CGT80, don't you know that is the color for 38 Super?:D

CGT80
April 6, 2013, 03:37 AM
Nope. Do you use green boxes for 38 super?

I don't shoot overgrown 9mm. :D If I shoot expensive brass, I prefer to not have it eject out of the gun. It is bad enough trying to recover 9mm from some competitions. To give you an idea of how much 9mm I load, a Dillon 1050 and bullet feeder are setup on my bench only for 9mm. I try to keep 3,000 rounds of 9mm loaded at a time, although that is for 3 shooters.

All of my dillon boxes are blue for 9mm, 40, and 45 acp. I do keep my hot 460 loads in a 20 round orange box, as I don't shoot a lot of those.

hddeluxe
April 6, 2013, 07:41 PM
I like many others use the plastic ammo boxes inside both 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans. Very handy and easy to store.

B.W.
April 7, 2013, 12:05 AM
I use ziploc bags also with all the load info written on baggy, 50 or 100 rnds per bag. Then store them in the plastic 50 cal ammo cans. Easy to grab what u want and go shoot em!

Crashbox
April 7, 2013, 12:54 AM
I use either J&J or MTM plastic boxes for transporting and some storage, and metal ammo cans for storage only.

For what it's worth...

My .357 boxes are marked for easy identification (in addition to the info labels that come with the boxes), with no colored dot for cast paper punchers using Herco; green-colored dot for jacketed 125's using TiteGroup for paper punching (almost never used now); orange dots for the 125 JHP flame-throwers using 2400; and red dots for 125 JHP's using H110.

My .40 S&W rounds are but a single type- 180 FMJ's with 7.5 grains of Longshot- so there is no need for color-coding.

I may use color-coding for my .405 Winchester rounds but that's still in committee.

cfullgraf
April 7, 2013, 10:54 AM

Handgun ammunition is stored bullet down in the box. Makes it easy to extract from the box.

Rifle is stored bullet up so that the tip of the bullet is not damaged during transport.

Most rifle cartridges are pretty much full of powder so powder position really would not be an issue, cast or ultra light loads not withstanding.

Many handgun powders/cartridges are position sensitive when fired. Powder against the bullet versus powder against the primer. The performance will vary between the two powder positions

Where the powder is in the case is relative to how the gun was handled just before aiming and firing, barrel up versus barrel down.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store/transport your pistol reloads?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!