One last chance: Colorado's governor

PDA

coloradokevin
March 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
Our friends at Magpul are apparently reporting that Colorado's Governor John Hickenlooper is in the process of tallying the "for" and "against" gun control letters that he has received, to aid him in deciding whether or not to sign a variety of gun control measures that will soon head to his desk. The governor is generally believed to lean with his party, but has wavered numerous times on this issue since the Aurora shooting.

PLEASE contact the governor and let our voices be heard! Be brief, be polite, and make it unquestionably clear that you oppose these bills. May I also suggest the following:

1) If you live in Colorado it is absolutely paramount that you contact the governor NOW.

2) If you do not live in Colorado you can still help, but I would explain how Colorado is going to lose your tourism revenue if these laws are passed.

3) Please reference HB 1224 (the magazine ban) directly. This bill is a doozy, and is going to cost this state a lot of money, and directly and significantly infringe upon the rights of gun owners.

We really need everyone's help right now. We're in the bottom of the 9th here, and we don't want to see these ridiculous bills signed into law!

Here's the Magpul statement:

https://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/436811109733489

HERE IS THE CONTACT FOR GOVERNOR HICKENLOOPER:

http://www.colorado.gov/govhdir/requests/opinion-leg.html

If you enjoyed reading about "One last chance: Colorado's governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longknife12
March 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
Again, letter sent.
Dan

Trent
March 13, 2013, 10:46 PM
My kid has the University of Denver admission papers sitting on his desk.

He's going to tear it up if this passes.

jerkface11
March 13, 2013, 10:49 PM
Hickenlooper has a D next to his name. Do you really think he'll veto?

mrvco
March 13, 2013, 10:53 PM
And miss a trip to the White House to worship 00'bama? No, but contacting him will at least clearly inscribe the writing on the wall for 2014 and 2016.

bikerdoc
March 13, 2013, 10:55 PM
Email sent

coloradokevin
March 13, 2013, 10:57 PM

That's irrelevant. Can we afford not to try?

Shear_stress
March 13, 2013, 11:10 PM
Seriously. It is worth a shot whether or not you have any past, present or future connection to Colorado. Again, here is the URL:

http://www.colorado.gov/govhdir/requests/opinion-leg.html

Here is a sample message that you can customize to your liking:

Beyond the fact that the tragic Columbine shootings happened during the now expired Federal “Assault Weapons” Ban, beyond the fact that Mark Kelly, who testified in favor of this bill was recently spotted in Arizona purchasing an AR-15 and multiple “high capacity” magazines, HB13-1224 is, to put it kindly, cynical, toothless, "get tough on crime" theater that ignores the less politically expedient roots of violence in this country--poverty, lack of educational opportunities, etc. Worse, this law's total lack of enforceability would further empower criminals at the cost of regular folks who, by definition, will be hamstrung by an obligation for compliance. This will be especially evident in rural areas of the state with a minimal law enforcement presence. Moreover, this law will actually cost this state jobs: Colorado is the home of magazine maker Magpul, which will be forced to leave the state should HB13-1224 pass.

Please do the courageous thing and stand up for the rights of your fellow Coloradans. Please veto HB13-1224.

BK
March 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
This is maddeningly unhelpful. Two democrats voted against the mag ban which makes your implication baseless.

jerkface11
March 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
Wow two whole democrats. Out of how many?

HorseSoldier
March 13, 2013, 11:18 PM
Letter sent telling him my wife and I will pass on a post-doctoral fellowship in Denver she was considering applying for if they pass 1224. Don't know if it makes any difference, but I suppose it can't hurt.

HorseSoldier
March 13, 2013, 11:20 PM

Who cares? The point is that some percentage of politicians of whatever flavor still believe they represent their constituents and their wishes, rather than ruling over them.

Prophet
March 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Be realistic in thought, optimistic in action. I sent a message.

coloradokevin
March 13, 2013, 11:33 PM

Out of twenty. And, we ended up exactly ONE democratic vote away from killing that measure. ONE vote.

The stakes are high, and the margins are tight on this one. 2 of 20 is still 10%, and a 10% chance is worth spending two minutes of your life to send a message that (when combined with thousands of others) may actually make a difference.

I'm sorry if you don't want to help with this fight, but we can't just give up because the governor is a democrat.

Be realistic in thought, optimistic in action. I sent a message.

Well said.

jerkface11
March 13, 2013, 11:37 PM
Not much a non constituent can do. An email from me would be worth less than the electrons it takes to send it.

Steel Horse Rider
March 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
I sent the Governor a letter last week reminding him that the Aurora shooter had booby trapped his apartment to such an extent that if they had gone off the death toll at the theater would not even be a subject of discussion today. Limiting hardware will do nothing to stop a person who is determined to make a splash on their way out.

SigSour
March 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
Would everyone be so kind as to submit an email via this link? Then send the link to everyone you know. Under 'County', there is a selection for "Out Of State" - everyone is watching this and just because YOU are in another state doesn't mean you should not pitch in.

This has been repeated many times in this forum but: If this can happen in Colorado, it can happen ANYwhere.

Try to help Colorado not become the first domino. It literally took me 30 seconds to complete.

Thanks

OilyPablo
March 13, 2013, 11:56 PM
I'm on your side. I used Hickenlooper contact page and let him know.

SigSour
March 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
I'm on your side. I used Hickenlooper contact page and let him know.
Hm.. Magpul has a link on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/magpul
I went directly from there. Could work...

OilyPablo
March 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
I Don't do face book, but it finally worked for me. Hang tough and get ahold of everyone you know. Even if you seem embarrassed or shy......just saying!

Prophet
March 14, 2013, 12:14 AM
Not much a non constituent can do. An email from me would be worth less than the electrons it takes to send it.

No disrespect meant, but I think such an email would likely do more good than the messages you've taken the time and electrons to post here. Any input and messages sent simply adds to the flood of dissent felt by CO lawmakers and lets them know the rest of the US is watching. I can assure you that the anti-gun lawmakers are getting support from within the state and from without.

Facebook isn't required folks, transmissions are handled through the Gov's website! Here is the full quote from Magpul's FB:

The Governor's office is still tallying emails for and against the gun bills that have been passed, in order to inform Governor Hickenlooper of public opinion on whether they should be signed into law or not. Let him know that they should not!

Use the contact form at http://www.colorado.gov/govhdir/requests/opinion-leg.html to register your disagreement with HB1224 and the other gun bills. Please keep your message brief, polite, and to the point that you oppose HB1224 and all other anti-gun legislation, and urge the governor to VETO these bills.

Milamber
March 14, 2013, 12:19 AM
Sent my email. Just sent a similar one to our Gov here in Ga who is supposed to be behind an expanded back ground check with mandatory mental health screening and training. Gov Deal is weak on guns he voted for the Lautenberg Amendment

jerkface11
March 14, 2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah he probably got to be governor by not towing the party line.

creitzel
March 14, 2013, 12:25 AM
email sent :)

melski
March 14, 2013, 12:35 AM
My company held a regional meeting in Denver last month. Just sent the governor a letter stating that no more meetings will be held in his state should any of this legislation pass.

Continue the fight Colorado!

labhound
March 14, 2013, 12:41 AM
E-mail sent stating if HB-1224 is signed into law I would have to spend my vacation dollars in another state.

JohnnyK
March 14, 2013, 12:41 AM
I sent message as well.

HorseSoldier
March 14, 2013, 12:45 AM
No disrespect meant, but I think such an email would likely do more good than the messages you've taken the time and electrons to post here. Any input and messages sent simply adds to the flood of dissent felt by CO lawmakers and lets them know the rest of the US is watching. I can assure you that the anti-gun lawmakers are getting support from within the state and from without.

+1. Tourism is big business in Colorado. Telling the elected leadership you plan to spend your vacation or hunting trip $$$ elsewhere means they are having to look at lost direct tax revenue and lost jobs. Voters who lose jobs tend to be prone to voting new ideas into office, etc.

Sock Puppet
March 14, 2013, 12:47 AM
Done. I live very close to the CO line, and made it clear that his signing of the bill would impact whether I continued to shop, invest, hunt, fish, buy real estate, etc in CO.

David E
March 14, 2013, 01:22 AM

You know, it would've taken far less effort on your part to send one email to Chickenlooper instead of the countless ones here chiding those that do.

TenDriver
March 14, 2013, 01:25 AM
Done.

Prophet
March 14, 2013, 01:46 AM
Well said.

Colorado Kevin; my grandfather traveled to your state after he got back from the Pacific Theatre and trained MPs there who were heading to Korea. He always spoke so fondly of Colorado and said that if he could move, he would move there. He's passed on, but as someone who joined the Army so he could shoot guns, he would not be happy at all about the current goings-on in his other favorite state.

MadMonkey
March 14, 2013, 01:53 AM
Message sent.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

c4v3man
March 14, 2013, 02:16 AM
Sent a message, even if I feel it's direct to the recycle bin. We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

tarosean
March 14, 2013, 02:41 AM
Would everyone be so kind as to submit an email via this link? Then send the link to everyone you know. Under 'County', there is a selection for "Out Of State" - everyone is watching this and just because YOU are in another state doesn't mean you should not pitch in.

Done... I grew up in Southern CO Nothern NM. I still spend a lot of money in that state Hunting and skiing and 4 wheeling. Those dollars will be going elsewhere as I will not be deemed a criminal for crossing state lines. Sad times indeed.

BigBore44
March 14, 2013, 02:59 AM
Email sent. I truely hope he listens.

Outlaw Man
March 14, 2013, 10:37 AM
Done. Good luck, guys!

Freedom isn't free, but Tyranny can have someone else's tax dollars.

psyopspec
March 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
My note, from a former resident:

As a former resident of CO, veteran, and law-abiding gun owner I believe this bill is too overreaching. I still return to CO 3x per year to visit friends and vacation; if this bill is signed into law I will be reticent to continue vacationing there, as the great state of CO will have become a place that has exchanged liberty for safety and done so in a way that evidence suggests is utterly ineffective on reducing crime. I urge you to not sign this bill into law.

For those complaining that a note will be ineffective, it is my hope that you dashed of a message before throwing up your hands. Typing that note literally took me as long as creating this message did. Remember, it can't hurt, but it might help. Even if that chance is only .5% it's still time well spent.

CoRoMo
March 14, 2013, 10:52 AM
Contacted again.
You are incorrect. You are uninformed about how he became governor here.

I invite you to sit this thread out. We will be far more productive with you elsewhere.

95XL883
March 14, 2013, 10:54 AM
Message sent. I emphasized how much my family and I have enjoyed past vacations in Colorado and were looking forward to future visits. I made it clear we won't be back if HB13-1224 becomes law. I asked him not to sign it. Here's hoping he has some backbone to stand up to the tremendous pressure he is catching to sign it.

baz
March 14, 2013, 11:03 AM
I used the Magpul Facebook account to send an email to the Governor. (I don't "do" Facebook. I have an account, though, to access a "private" group. I don't post anything to my own page, though.)

I'm from out of state, so I don't know how much my voice will count, but here is what I wrote:This bill will kill freedom in CO, and drive business away. (I do business in CO frequently, and vacation there occasionally. That will be less likely if this bill becomes law.) And for what reason? It will not bring to an end senseless violence. It is merely a crusade by one subset of modern society and culture that does not understand, or even despises, another subset of modern society and culture. It is the antithesis of liberality and diversity.

tyeo098
March 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
Email sent 'other' I mad about ALL the bills.

Governor,

I am rather displeased with the current session of the legislatures all around the country using the pain and suffering from a terrible massacre in order to push a terrible agenda to take away the rights of the American people who did nothing wrong.

I urge you to stop this madness now and VETO every single law you get on your desk that takes away the rights of Americans. It may be the gun owners that you are stripping rights from today, but who's to say that another congress wont strip away your rights tomorrow? Please think about the precedent you will be setting.

Thank you for your time.

Axel Larson
March 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
Done and good luck. My wife and I were thinking of moving to CO in the future but if this bill passes we will not do so.

Akita1
March 14, 2013, 12:23 PM
Dear Gov. Hickenlooper,

As ski enthusiasts, my family and I frequent CO (various resorts/mountains) annually to ski and have thoroughly enjoyed our experiences over the years.

Having said that, we also are very intentional with how and where we commit our resources. Given the recent legislation (not just the noted bill above - you can only pick one here), however, we will no longer visit Colorado for our vacations (and will be sure to convince all of our friends who ski to do the same) if all of these draconian bills are signed into law.

Candidly, I hope that Magpul (and others) also vote with their resources and relocate their business to another state. Sometimes it is necessary for actions, versus words, to demonstrate how truly serious we are about our rights.

Drafting, passing and enacting laws based on emotion versus factual/logical impact is simply unacceptable and is contrary to effective governance. "See what I did to protect you?" is not a strong platform upon which legislators should campaign during an election cycle. Sadly, career politics has poisoned the well.

We sincerely hope you will consider these circumstances when you weigh whether or not to sign these "gun control" bills into law. As drafted, and in my humble opinion, none will have a significant impact on the intent.

Respectfully,

XXXXXX
Orlando, FL

Vector
March 14, 2013, 12:24 PM

You never know. (D's) in more traditional/conservative states do sometimes vote in favor of 2A rights despite their party affiliation. For many years (D's) warned fellow D's to avoid the 3 G's of politics, that being God, guns & gays.

Granted I don't know this guys politics, but remember that the NRA does recommend and help some pro-2A D's because they might be liberal on other issues(maybe not), but when it comes to the RKBA, they are pro 2A.

The bottom line is most politicians want to be re-elected, and if they feel this issue will lead to them losing, they might change their mind. It does not matter whether they have a D or R next to their name.

`

Old Fuff
March 14, 2013, 12:51 PM
The more likely "last chance" will be the 2014 mid-term elections. By then the various legislators will have created a voting record, and no matter what they claim we will know who really backs Second Amendment rights, and who doesn't. Then we will have our say, and it won't be in the form of e-mails and letters. :fire:

jerkface11
March 14, 2013, 01:05 PM
He'll have to weigh the costs of signing it and earning the ire of a large group of voters or vetoing it and earning the ire of his party. Our governor in Arkansas was too big of a coward to make that decision so he simply did nothing allowing the last pro-gun bill to pass into law without his signature.

MErl
March 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
fuff, the record is created, we know who voted for and against.

Unfortunately for the (D) that voted against it the only chance to overturn it is to change the majority to (R) in House, Senate, and Governor. They all have to go, whether they voted against it or not. If (D) retain control anywhere any repeal will just get buried.

Pilot
March 14, 2013, 01:08 PM
Hickenlooper is a big government control statist. It can't hurt to let him know where you stand, but don't get your hope up. When he was mayor of Denver he presided over the strictest gun laws in the state. He is totally behind this stuff.

Old Fuff
March 14, 2013, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately for the (D) that voted against it the only chance to overturn it is to change the majority to (R) in House, Senate, and Governor. They all have to go, whether they voted against it or not. If (D) retain control anywhere any repeal will just get buried.

I was looking at a bigger picture, but anyway...

As a practical matter I suspect that most of the anti-representatives are located in safe urban districts, but those that are not, as well as some senators are fair game. It seems clear to me that many (if not most) of those legislators who are backing these bills - in Colorado and elsewhere - are acting on a basis of ideology and emotionalism and ignoring communications from constituents.

Colorado's governor may be an excellent example, but he is not only jeopardizing his chances to remain in office in his home state, but also likely to find he's out of luck when it comes to top elective positions at the national level. (Think U.S. Senator or V.P.) for which he has high hopes. I personally believe that by the time he discovers this it will be too late.

Fortunately at the present time Colorado’s legislature is nearly evenly divided, and a relatively few seats have to change hands to get the desired result. I wish you luck.

SharpsDressedMan
March 14, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm in. I sent one, and mentioned that I used to work as a cop in CO, and mentioned that similar guns have been in civilian hands for over 60 years (prior and after WWII) by fathers and grandfathers, and the problem is not with the guns.

Al Thompson
March 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
Done. Good luck!

Trisha
March 14, 2013, 03:50 PM
Governor, you sounded pretty nervous on the radio this morning. You know the legislation clearing both Houses and headed your way don't make a constructive difference in preventing or mitigating violence to a statistically significant degree. All this has to be about campaign money and political power. I pray it isn't about confiscation - as is clearly the focus of other prominent Democrats across the country. If you sign any new gun control legislation into law then I'll have to believe you're not acting in response to Colorado's majority opinion and beliefs, you'll be acting for power and money. Funny, that - a Party that doesn't pass a Federal Budget, is regularly documented as being the least transparent in modern times (if not in our entire history), plays frightening brinkmanship games with 5 carriers in port at once and releases thousands of illegal immigrants - you even consider following the Party line on gun control? I persist in my belief you are intelligent and honorable as you sit as Governor. I wish you well and hope you will not change the face of our State to try and mirror New York and California.

Mayvik
March 14, 2013, 05:01 PM
The part G.H. doesn't get is that even if the "the majority wants it!" mantra is accurate, responsible leaders do not let the 51% oppress the 49%, 70/30, etc. Of course, that doesn't threaten re-election which is all they seem to care about, too.

230RN
March 14, 2013, 05:08 PM
Mailed:

11 March 2013

The Honorable John Hickenlooper
Governor of Colorado
Colorado State Capitol
200 East Colfax
Denver CO 80203

My dear Governor Hickenlooper,

I would request that you review your stated position to sign recent legislation regarding gun controls.

Sir, all this legislation is short-sighted and really based on emotional reaction to isolated instances, despite its magnification by the press.

Legislation based on the emotions generated by the press and the pleas of victims of the tragedies, is not in the best interests of either the State of Colorado or the Nation.

It would seem to be merely an opportunity to erode basic civil rights, and, like the camel's nose under the tent flap, only affords an excuse to eventually abridge every civil right with no limits.

This cannot be, in the words of Colorado's Constitution, for the health, benefit, and welfare of all the people.

I admire your political career and would hope that someday your title becomes "Senator," but I will not vote for you if you endorse any of the current ill-advised and essentially vindictive legislation which punishes all we law-abiding gun owners.

I again urge you to reverse your position and veto all these current anti-civil rights bills, in the name of preserving all of the rights we hold dear... not just the basic civil liberties presently under attack.

^ (SLIGHTLY ABRIDGED)

Terry

sota
March 14, 2013, 05:19 PM
Dear Gov. Hickenlooper;

I am not a resident of your state. I am however a frequent tourist. Over the past 20 years I have spent on average 5 weeks out of the year visiting your state for various recreational activities. I, along with my wife, my children and their children have viewed the goings on with the Colorado legislator with wary eyes. We have come to an agreement... If you sign this or any other law into effect with regards to firearms restrictions, we will no longer patron your state. We will actively campaign our friends who like us visit Colorado for the recreation. We cannot and will not support a state or government that does no respect the Constitutional rights of its residents.

sent. hope it helps.

BBQJOE
March 14, 2013, 05:21 PM
Sent yet another one to him.

briney11
March 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
Letter sent.

Shrinkmd
March 14, 2013, 10:38 PM
letter sent, can't give up

SigSour
March 14, 2013, 10:43 PM
I just sent my 4th letter opposing 1224

1 for myself
1 for the Constitution
1 for every gun owner in America
and 1 because I'm still p*ssed off this is even an issue

I might send one more in honor of Bloomberg and Feinstein...

1911fun
March 14, 2013, 11:24 PM
Just sent in mine.

jr_roosa
March 14, 2013, 11:31 PM
Done.

-J.

Njal Thorgeirsson
March 14, 2013, 11:48 PM
Be sure to hit this poll as well- the governor will undoubtedly see it. It may very well make a bit of a difference.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinionpolls?source=Subnav_Op_Polls

Arbo
March 15, 2013, 12:08 AM
From Magpul:

We would like to thank everyone for the support they have given us here in fight for Colorado. We are truly humbled by some of things said about Magpul on the Senate floor yesterday.

The fight against HB 1224 continues and will not be over until the until official vote count on Monday and the bill is actually signed into law by the Governor.

As we have previously stated, HB 1224, if signed into law will require us to move operations out of Colorado. This is a process that will take some organization/negotiation with potential new location(s).

Work on relocation of production assets has already started and as we move through various scenarios, we will be unable to comment on possible new locations or details of the move until decisions have been finalized.

Once again thanks for all the support and keep up the fight.

Bye Magpul, hello newly unemployed.

dvlhntr
March 15, 2013, 12:41 AM
thank you everyone who is writing.

I know it may seem like a futile effort at times, but I thank you for the attempt nonetheless.

SigSour
March 15, 2013, 12:56 AM
Be sure to hit this poll as well- the governor will undoubtedly see it. It may very well make a bit of a difference.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinionpolls?source=Subnav_Op_Polls
79.88% OPPOSE this ban and would vote to overturn it. Everyone on this board should chime in, and then some.. set that poll on fire!

ThirtyOughtSix
March 15, 2013, 01:03 AM
Completed.

MoMatt
March 15, 2013, 01:11 AM
Interesting interpretation I hadn't heard before:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/323800/339/True-scope-of-gun-control-bill-questioned

Time to write another letter. Just like any other bill drafted in haste to capitalize on people's emotions, this bill is a turd.

Old Fuff
March 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
79.88% OPPOSE this ban and would vote to overturn it

I just voted, and our side is now over 80%...

However the poll questions are badly written, in that you vote "for" to oppose the bill and the magazine ban. Somebody at the Post messed up badly. :evil:

Justin
March 15, 2013, 01:24 AM
To all of you who've taken a few minutes to go to the website and contact Hickenlooper to voice your opposition to these bills, you have my gratitude.

To those of you who are naysaying the work and time it takes to fill out an online form, please just go away. We need to pursue every avenue available to make our voices heard, and shooting down other people's actions without offering a positive solution of your own is of absolutely no help to anyone whatsoever.

hso
March 15, 2013, 01:24 AM
No vacation travel to CO if he signs it to hike, ski, or ride.

No business travel to CO if it can be carried out by telecon.

MadMonkey
March 15, 2013, 01:57 AM
Second message sent, addressing the unintended consequences of "readily convertible" wording. I also placed a short phone call to the governor's office today. I'm not a political activist, but this is important; everyone should be doing at least one of these things. The link has been posted numerous times, but I haven't seen the phone number:

303-866-2471

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

mrvco
March 15, 2013, 01:58 AM
I just voted, and our side is now over 80%...

However the poll questions are badly written, in that you vote "for" to oppose the bill and the magazine ban. Somebody at the Post messed up badly. :evil:
80%+ on such an emotional issue is seriously impressive for a DP poll.... this is not a self-selecting pro-2A, republican, etc. website, this is our liberal-print-monopoly (RIP RMN).

hoghunting
March 15, 2013, 02:02 AM
Sent an email as I visit Colorado 4 or 5 times a year to ski, hike and visit family.

Bianchi?
March 15, 2013, 05:31 AM
Done. I don't what difference it will make, but it can't be worse than doing nothing.

freyasman
March 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
Ok, I hit the one to the Governor; anything else I can do?

tyeo098
March 15, 2013, 11:07 AM
Looks like I'll be skiing in Utah this year.

KTXdm9
March 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
I emailed the Governor to let him know I will spend my tourism dollars elsewhere if he signs these bills. Good luck Colorado, you'll need it.

CoRoMo
March 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
It would be something to see the skiing and hunting revenue plummet like a rock in this state. It would likely just be chalked up to 'the recession' and the state would ignore all claims that they made the mess themselves.

A business owner up where I hunt elk had been fighting the state for many years to stop ruining businesses in the state. His business is solely tourism based, nothing else. As the Division of Wildlife continued to raise out-of-state hunting license rates, he watched the number of hunters dwindle down next to nothing. He began losing money rather than turning profit. The business leaders in his county united to petition for a new ski area in their county so that those businesses didn't all die out from the stranglehold placed on them. The state denied the ski area and that was the last straw. He's out of business for good, moved elsewhere to do other things. The people who worked for him lost their jobs. Bravo state, bravo.

230RN
March 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Justin said,

To those of you who are naysaying the work and time it takes to fill out an online form, please just go away. We need to pursue every avenue available to make our voices heard, and shooting down other people's actions without offering a positive solution of your own is of absolutely no help to anyone whatsoever.

I agree, and some posters obviously thought it was a waste of time.

I think, and think only, that he was kind of waffly on gun control anyhow, but had to walk on eggshells about the subject because of the Party position prior to the anti-gun plank being removed from the Party platform at a strategic time in the Presidential campaign.. It was only about two weeks after the last Presidential election that he seemed to have turned around, and you can read into that what you want.

My gut feeling is that he is looking for a valid excuse to veto these bills, in the form of seeking overwhelming direct input from the people of Colorado.

Thus, according to my gut and my crystal ball, if he in fact hears enough objections to the present anti-gun climate, he may well veto them and say the hell with the Party's Pressure.

Bear in mind that we have had a number of party-switches in the past, the most notable being Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell, who switched to Republican after his re-election a couple of decades ago.

Just my gut feelings and the view into my recently-dusted-off crystal ball.

Terry, 230RN

Prophet
March 16, 2013, 02:43 AM
Is there anyone else we can contact for you guys in CO? For those of us who have already contacted the governor, is there any harm in following up with a second correspondence? I've been sharing this with everyone I know, and the guys and gals over at PAFOA are writing the governor as well.

csspecs
March 16, 2013, 03:10 AM
Figure it like this.. When you have a problem you need an answer to you ask your peers.. So effect his.

Start emailing all the ones that voted FOR the ban, telling them your not coming to CO for vacation because of this ban, because you like target shooting on vacation ect.

Email RV parks, recreational locations ect. Enough collective whining adds to the worry of fallout. PS False promises of business is wrong, but pointing out that it eliminates your passing through is scary.

Sadly I did have both business and vacation plans for 2013 and 2014 mess up by this. I'll just stay in WY instead, it is sad as CO had some interesting fossil exhibits, Utah has some as well (they restrict booze right?).

Prophet
March 16, 2013, 03:29 AM
Email RV parks, recreational locations ect.

csspecs suggestion makes sense. Anyone who had plans to travel to CO who is now canceling due to the law should be sure to contact any facilities or businesses they planned to take advantage of, apologetically and politely letting them know that you will now be foregoing travel to CO because of the laws. It might be a nice idea to link them the governor's contact information, making it easier for them to direct their frustrations at losing business in the right direction.

In the meantime, I'll be writing those who voted in favor of the ban to let them know I won't be traveling to CO as a result of their law requiring me to relinquish my civil rights.

HorseSoldier
March 16, 2013, 03:31 AM
^^^^^

Well said and a good point.

Elected officials may take notice of communication from out of state that they're losing money because of their policies. I suspect they'll take much more notice of communication from voters in Colorado talking about how out of state tourists are giving them a pass.

philbily
March 16, 2013, 06:42 AM
Sent to the Gov. Hope it helps. You all have a great state worth saving. Too bad it's being invaded by a bunch of people that's trashed their own states.

Lizard1911
March 16, 2013, 09:31 AM

http://www.denverpost.com/opinionpol...ubnav_Op_Polls

Apparently the majority WANT the magazine ban. :(

rvanpelt
March 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
Email sent. Hope it's not too late, neighbor.:)
Rod van Pelt

Old Fuff
March 16, 2013, 01:16 PM
Apparently the majority WANT the magazine ban.

I just looked, and it's almost 90% against...

The question is badly written, in that you have to vote FOR to mean you're against recent Democrat anti-gun bills.

Arbo
March 16, 2013, 01:23 PM
Apparently the majority WANT the magazine ban. :(
It was 80-90% against for a long time, I looked in the middle of the night and it appears that anti-gun groups must have hit it hard as they bypassed the pro-gun people and had a 63% advantage. Showing those polls don't matter.

Suddenly this morning the pro side gaind 10K votes and is slightly up.

mrnic3guy1989
March 16, 2013, 01:28 PM
I sent him an email because were all in this together.

xfyrfiter
March 16, 2013, 01:29 PM
I sent my letter, but I truly believe that all of this is bought and paid for by Bloomberg and company. They are as crooked as a barrel of rattlers, and just as poisonous .

Prophet
March 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
Just posted by Magpul on FB

http://thecoloradoobserver.com/2013/03/hickenlooper-asked-to-block-mag-ban/

DENVER – As a proposed ban on firearm magazines approved last week by the legislature inched closer to becoming law, Magpul Industries Corp. sent a detailed letter to Governor Hickenlooper asking him to veto the bill.

The proposed ban, House Bill 1224, would bar the sale or transfer of magazines capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition as well as those which hold fewer rounds, but are “designed to be readily converted” to hold 15 or more.

Concern has erupted in recent weeks over the “readily converted” language, which some say covers almost any removable firearm magazine, and could result in an outright ban on some firearms with internal magazines.

“The bill defines restricted magazines as any that that are ‘designed to be readily converted’ to accept more than fifteen rounds,” wrote Magpul’s attorney Jonathan Anderson, a partner at the law firm of Holland & Hart, in the letter to Hickenlooper. “The simple fact is that virtually every magazine on the market has an open floor plate, and that design makes every magazine readily convertible.”

Magpul’s letter comes on the heels of investigative reports by 9News’ Kyle Clark and CBS4’s Shaun Boyd raising serious questions about the proposal’s scope.

The Independence Institute’s Jon Caldara also drew attention to concerns about the bill on Wednesday, releasing a one-minute video in which the think tank president demonstrates how easily the capacity of a standard 15-round magazine can be increased using an extender.

Anderson’s letter on behalf of Magpul suggests that the bill would have far-reaching consequences that could actually make several firearm models with internal magazines illegal.

“[The bill] makes it illegal to purchase, inherit, or even possess existing firearms that have an internal ammunition source over 15 rounds other than .22 caliber or lever action firearms. This includes several popular firearm models, such as the Taurus 45 bolt action rifle … and the SKS line of rifles,” Anderson wrote. “If HB 1224 is signed into law, individuals who possess this type of firearm after July 1, 2013 would be guilty of a criminal offense.”

The letter also notes the legislation contains no allowances for historic guns, or those which may be family heirlooms.

“Unlike similar laws in other states, HB 1224 does not contain an antique or vintage firearm exemption, so all firearms of this type are prohibited,” the analysis continues. “This means that a Colorado citizen cannot even pass this type of weapon down to his son or daughter, even if it is an antique or vintage firearm.”

Hickenlooper indicated in late February that he would sign HB 1224, but some gun rights backers are hoping that recent uproar over the bill’s unintended consequences will give the governor reason to reconsider.

Magpul Dynamics director Duane Liptak Jr. reiterated calls for Hickenlooper to reject the bill during a Friday appearance on KOA-AM’s “The Mike Rosen Show.”

“We just want to get the word out for everybody in Colorado to continue to contact Gov. Hickenlooper, be civil in your commentary, but urge him to veto HB 1224 and everything else that may be in front of him to keep Colorado free and maintain the individual rights of Coloradans,” Liptak said.

Keep up the correspondence!

coloradokevin
March 17, 2013, 04:50 AM
Apparently the majority WANT the magazine ban.

First, don't ever assume that the majority want something based on the opinion polls on the Denver Post. Many of the gun owners and LEOs I know refuse to even read that paper. Though it is the primary paper in the Denver area, it tends to appeal more to Democrats than Republicans, at least in my experiences.

Secondarily, that poll wasn't fairly answered. We were up in it for most of the time, and still were the last I checked. But, at one point the anti-gun answer was increasing at a rate of about 5 responses per second. There's no way those were actual responses to a poll that wasn't moving that fast for most of the time.

Finally, no newspaper poll ever fully reflects the views of the population. WE don't want these laws in Colorado, and the majority do NOT support them.

Bad Andy
March 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
I work as a Seasonal Wilderness Ranger in Durango, this will be the last year, Wyoming next year.

Elkins45
March 17, 2013, 03:22 PM
Kentucky's Governor is a Democrat. I can't imagine him ever signing such a bill. It would be the end of him as a viable political figure in KY.

I'm generally disdainful of Democrats as well, but there many southern ones that are Democrats more out of tradition than out of beliefs.

SharpsDressedMan
March 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
Kentucky apparenly hasn't had the influx of liberal thinking people that Colorado has "enjoyed" ever since John Denver started singing about it (Colorado) and drawing people to it, and people started to flee California (and other liberal areas) with their money and ideas. The "natives" of Colorado noticed the migration, and pointed it out to me as early as 30 years ago. The free, self-reliant, traditionally "western" lifestyle and philosophy of Colorado has been eroded ever since then, if not before.

84B20
March 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
Message sent. I mentioned that I am a former resident of Colorado and was even married there and if this bill is signed into law I will no longer spend my time or money there.

HKGuns
March 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
I am out of Sate and sent my request to Veto. I also informed him if this passes I will never spend another dollar in his State.

barnbwt
March 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
I've notified the gubner via email that my (admittedly low budget, but still :o) upcoming vacation will be detoured elsewhere if he allows his state to take an antagonistic stance toward law-abiding gun owners and enthusiasts (due to wrist/elbow/shoulder injuries, pistol grips are what's most comfortable for me, dammit! :mad:). That I wouldn't be shooting there anyway will have no bearing on my distaste for a region that would seek to discriminate (and incriminate) me for innocent behavior.

TCB

biohazurd
March 18, 2013, 01:32 AM
Ive sent 3 letters to Hickenlooper as of yet 2 digital and one paper. I didnt move to this state to have my rights stolen from me for being a law abiding citizen.

Milamber
March 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
Before you read this its meant as sarcasm mixed with "you did what".

The ATF form 4473 specifically says that if your a pot user you are disqualified from owning a firearm or at least purchasing one. Therefore as its now legal to smoke pot in CO it either makes the 4473 and federal law at odds with state law or it means CO's state legislature have screwed up due to smoking said weed

klausman
March 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have now written to all my state representatives and the governor several times via old style snail mail. Are they actually listening to anyone?

Arbo
March 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
I have now written to all my state representatives and the governor several times via old style snail mail. Are they actually listening to anyone?
No. They are not.

GEM
March 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
On the local level, state politicos are getting promised significant monies from national level players to be anti.

Dr.Rob
March 18, 2013, 07:02 PM
I have written letters, facebooked him and tried to get trhough on teh phone but the lines have been busy all day. Let's hope thats a good sign.

Trisha
March 18, 2013, 07:35 PM
Doubtful it made a difference; this is as generic as it gets (made me grind my teeth for a minute):

Dear Trisha:

Thank you for writing regarding gun control in Colorado. This is an important subject, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and concerns.

Over the past year in Colorado and across the nation, we have experienced an unprecedented level of tragedy due to gun violence. The shooting that occurred in Aurora on the night of July 20, 2012, is an event that will remain in our hearts and minds forever. And while our lives will never be the same again, these experiences showed the strength and resilience of individuals to come together as a community. Now, as a community, we must come together to find ways we can prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Your letter is one of thousands we have received offering thoughts on everything from banning assault weapons, to increasing mental health availability, to the rights of citizens to carry concealed weapons. The diversity of opinions on how best to address this issue is proof positive that we should not shy away from this discussion. We are confident that through thoughtful and mindful debate we can find reasonable solutions that respect the rights of law-abiding Coloradans to own firearms while maintaining the health and safety of our communities.

In Colorado, individuals purchasing firearms at firearms dealerships and gun shows undergo background checks, and we believe that universal background checks will help ensure that guns don’t fall into the hands of those who would use them to harm themselves or others. This is a multifaceted issue and part of this dialogue should focus on mental health access. In addition to addressing firearms, we have also asked the Colorado General Assembly to support a comprehensive overhaul of our state’s mental health system so we can better deliver support and services to people sooner rather than later, and provide appropriate interventions.

This is a conversation that will continue throughout the course of this legislative session, so we also encourage you to share your thoughts with your legislators. To contact the House of Representatives, please call 303-866-2904. To contact the Senate, please call 303-866-2316. These contacts will direct your call to the appropriate office. Or, you can find your legislators online at http://www.colorado.gov/esri/webmaps/my-hood.html?webmap-id=a4838d49acca478e82f453d209bc81d9

Once again, thank you for your input, and for taking the time to contact our office. We will keep your thoughts in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Office of Governor John W. Hickenlooper

:banghead:

SharpsDressedMan
March 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'd like to see Colorado's voters get it put on a ballot and shoot it down that way. It would be a long and hard fight, but THAT would have a profound effect on the rest of the country in a DIFFERENT way.

230RN
March 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
So if you're OK mentally, you still shouldn't have "high" capacity magzines?

Dumb. Vindicitive. Vengeful. Yes, they're punishing the innocent and those likely to stay innocent.

Read this, if you don't want it to happen in your state. Money talks:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_14847759

Terry

March 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
Email sent.

Gaiudo
March 18, 2013, 09:17 PM
Magpul makes an announcement on their Facebook page:

Apparently Gov Hickenlooper has announced that he will sign HB 1224 on Wednesday. We were asked for our reaction, and here is what we said:

We have said all along that based on the legal problems and uncertainties in the bill, as well as general principle, we will have no choice but to leave if the Governor signs this into law. We will start our transition out of the state almost immediately, and we will prioritize moving magazine manufacturing operations first. We expect the first PMAGs to be made outside CO within 30 days of the signing, with the rest to follow in phases. We will likely become a multi-state operation as a result of this move, and not all locations have been selected. We have made some initial contacts and evaluated a list of new potential locations for additional manufacturing and the new company headquarters, and we will begin talks with various state representatives in earnest if the Governor indeed signs this legislation. Although we are agile for a company of our size, it is still a significant footprint, and we will perform this move in a manner that is best for the company and our employees.

It is disappointing to us that money and a social agenda from outside the state have apparently penetrated the American West to control our legislature and Governor, but we feel confident that Colorado residents can still take the state back through recalls, ballot initiatives, and the 2014 election to undo these wrongs against responsible Citizens.

jerkface11
March 18, 2013, 11:11 PM
I wonder what cushy appointment Obama will give him for signing it?

splattergun
March 18, 2013, 11:13 PM
Looks like I'll be skiing in Utah this year.
Thank you.

klausman
March 18, 2013, 11:35 PM
I have never had the courtesy of a reply to any thing I have written to the governor, and very seldom from any of my representatives.

SigSour
March 19, 2013, 12:08 AM
Hickenlooper could care less about our letters OR these polls. "by the people for the people"? yea right.

You know, there's another post on this forum talking about "single issue voters" and moves like this are going to FORCE that.. unfortunately, the candidates who support 2A rights *might* also bring with them a laundry list of bad policies should they be elected and that will be the fault of the gun grabbing Liberals.

Dr.Rob
March 19, 2013, 12:41 AM
Trish I got that SAME form letter weeks ago.

freyasman
March 19, 2013, 08:57 AM
I received the same letter Trish got in my email this morning, sigh... We're gonna have to spank these guys at the ballot box.... HARD.

mtnjrm
March 19, 2013, 09:02 AM
I have sent many emails over the last month to the Colorado Congress members and the Governor. I sent 3 different emails today to the Governor. Not sure it will do any good because the democrats across the nation are supporting these bills. But I tried, it is unfortunate the Colorado Congress is not supporting the people in Colorado.

MachIVshooter
March 19, 2013, 11:29 AM
My final letter to Hick:

I've tried the polite and reasonable appeals using logic and common sense. No more. Now I'll just remind the governor that East coast liberal money won't save him in the 2014 election if he signs these bills. Coloradoans are PISSED OFF. There is a very good chance these laws will be nullified in a number of ways after the fact, so the governor would do well to save face and veto. Signing these bills is political suicide in this state. Know that.

Old Fuff
March 19, 2013, 12:00 PM
Signing these bills is political suicide in this state. Know that.

Good!! But remember it will take a lot of work to make that happen. When the 2014 mid-term elections arrive there will have to be an unusually heavy vote in rural areas that support pro-gun rights candidates.

jerkface11
March 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
Signing these bills is political suicide in this state. Know that

He probably knows that. You just have to ask yourself what he was promised on a national level.

rvanpelt
March 19, 2013, 12:22 PM
Well, he will sign them in the morning. :cuss: Hope my neighbors get their state back. Legalizing pot by popular vote and passing more gun laws makes us nervous here in Nebraska. I hope there are enough conservatives in Colorado to get the gun grabbers and pot heads out of their government. :banghead:
Rod

Twmaster
March 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
I just wrote a short note to Hick.

Basically it was short and not-so-sweet.

I wrote: "Shame on you sir. Shame."

MRH
March 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
If the letter from Magpul's lawyer didn't sway him, then probably nothing will. (Although I doubt he read that letter - or any of the others).

Anyone know if Hick still owns any businesses, or has any he still has controlling interest in?

HorseSoldier
March 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
I remember some discussion earlier about recall initiatives involving state reps related to the CO gun control stuff. Is there a mechanism to call a recall vote on the governor as well?

simonjester
March 19, 2013, 09:09 PM
Not sure where the Recall the Governor is yet but here is one group trying to start a recall of the state senate president and a few others:

http://www.coloradoaccountability.com/cms/node

sota
March 19, 2013, 09:30 PM
ever thought of marching on the capitol and shutting the city down?

I'm serious in that suggestion btw. how many of you would it take to just totally overwhelm the capitol area with him in the building and not let him out until he resigns.

barnbwt
March 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
Well, judging by the traffic, I'd say a few extra people eating out on a Wednesday would do the job of crippling Denver

Frankly, what Colorado needs is a general police strike, if the proper measures of voting and court action are unable to effect change. The cities and government have made it clear they don't give a hoot about the circumstances of the ban (constitutionality, logic, widespread outrage, etc.) because they've got an idea in their heads and the backing of outsiders undoubtedly with promises of greater things (of money, gold, and diamond rings). However, they still need the police to enforce the law, or at least to be willing to, if they are to point at the law as a success rather than an embarrassment.

If the police forces of Colorado take a general stand that they will not enforce this law, no matter how sparingly it may be applied, and then actually follow through on their word, the law can be neutered or nullified by going around the whole dang system. Such a coup is troubling, since it undermines the base legitimacy and authority of the state government; but the state organs have just shown they are no longer ruling legitimately per their governing documents. The stories describing the near-complete subversion of due process for these bills is eerily reminiscent of the "debate" in New York for the SAFE act, where a great many elected officials railed against the unfair proceedings even as they voted for (and against) the act.

No policeman should have any interest in enforcing such an unfair law, let alone suffer the physical threats posed by implementing it--even if only sparingly and to otherwise criminal individuals. Say no to the law now, strip it of all power and legitimacy, and force the usurpers in "Denver, New York" to try another tactic.

TCB

*Saw the articles today about the anti's now turning their evil eye on Wyoming (yet another Californian refuge), and I also "just happened" to hear a story on NPR about the "highest suicide rate and gun culture" in that state and how action was needed. Guess we know where the next battle lines are being drawn (I'm certain Austin,TX is next after that, and will include their attempt the swing the state). We all said "whatever" when that race in Chicago was swung by meddlers, and now Colorado has fallen. Wyoming appears next. If anything, Bloomberg is becoming emboldened by what he has found is an effective strategy for subverting Democracy and the rule of law.

"It is said that the Hornburg has never fallen to assault... but now my heart is doubtful. The world changes, and all that once was strong now proves unsure. How shall any tower withstand such numbers and such reckless hate?" --JRR Tolkien

CoRoMo
March 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
I just heard that all were signed into law.

Curse Hickenlooper and the law makers who passed these laws.

rvanpelt
March 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
How many jobs at Magpull will be moved out of Colorado?
Rod

Akita1
March 20, 2013, 01:16 PM
Here's the link:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/20/17387348-colorado-gov-hickenlooper-signs-landmark-gun-control-bills?lite

rvanpelt
March 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
IMHO I think it will take a lot more liberals moving into Wyoming before they legalize pot and start grabbing guns.
No surprise. We have seen the writing on the wall for Colorado for quite some time.
Rod

Prophet
March 20, 2013, 01:24 PM
If the police forces of Colorado take a general stand that they will not enforce this law, no matter how sparingly it may be applied, and then actually follow through on their word, the law can be neutered or nullified by going around the whole dang system.

Do it. Contact your sheriffs and police departments and get them involved.

I contacted Hick letting him know of my disapproval. Let me know if there is anyone else I can contact.

Akita1
March 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
Another link from Yahoo news/AP, but they point out his flip flop:

http://news.yahoo.com/colo-gun-restrictions-bring-political-peril-073317831.html

xfyrfiter
March 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
The county sheriff is still the chief law enforcement officer in their respective counties, if all of them refuse to enforce these unconstitutional laws, and arrest any other officer be they state, city, or federal attempting to usurp their authority, these laws will not stand for long. At least in NM this is the way the law has been interpreted. This may be true or not, just heresay in my case.

rvanpelt
March 20, 2013, 04:13 PM
:( I heard Colorado's Correction Chief was shot and killed this morning as he went to answer the door. First of all, my sincere condolences to his family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult time.
My question to Hickenlooper is, "Are your newly signed laws going to prevent murders like this"? How many times was he shot? Is a high cap mag only used in murders? Was the killer a repeat offender that some lenient judge or Obama put back on the street? :banghead:
Rod

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 05:43 PM
I'm wondering if the shooter might be a pro gun fanatic, shot the first high law enforcement official he knew that was advocating the new gun laws, and whether the governor needs to be worried...........

jerkface11
March 20, 2013, 05:46 PM
You sound like part of the Brady campaign.

I'm sure the chief of corrections has plenty of enemies.

Steel Horse Rider
March 20, 2013, 05:58 PM
It was an execution from the early reporting of the facts. Probably from our friends the Saudi's for refusing to transfer a convicted sex offender who happens to be a Saudi national back to Saudi Arabi because he refused counseling. I fear this story will get a lot of spin.

browneu
March 20, 2013, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Colorado and your loss of freedom.

Remember what someone stated in a recent campaign. "Voting is the best revenge."

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Arbo
March 20, 2013, 07:14 PM
If you still have the energy to write your opinion on these laws, write it on the Governors FB wall...

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHickenlooper?fref=ts

I did. It appears a lot of people are.

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2013, 08:53 PM
Right. He'll probably take the afterthoughts to heart about as much as he did just BEFORE he signed the bill.

76shuvlinoff
March 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
You have to hit the pocketbooks and wallets to sway the morally superior.

Arbo
March 20, 2013, 09:59 PM
CO sherifs are already planning to take this stuff to court.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/03/20/legal-challenge-already-planned-to-gun-control-laws/

Arbo
March 23, 2013, 08:31 PM
There was a gathering/protest in Grand Junction today as Hick was supposed to be there. I didn't make it up there as I was at my first IDPA match, but here's an image from there:

briney11
March 23, 2013, 10:39 PM
I just posted on his facebook page that my family of 7 will never vacation in Colorado again because of these laws that he signed.

longknife12
March 24, 2013, 01:20 PM
Arbo, just saw pics of this rally in west slope....also heared Hicks replys.
Same arrogance we have had throughout this!ALL of em are bouight n paid for! Serfs no longer control Colorado.
Time for recalls n courts.
Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "One last chance: Colorado's governor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!