lee and rcbs.... interchangable?

PDA

ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:30 PM
i have older dies from rcbs. .308w rcbs dies from 1991. The expander ball ripped the threads right off the rod and from inside the ball and bent the rod. since i cant find replacement parts for my dies anymore i dont wish to buy a new set just yet and my machine shop access is severely limited at this point. my question is can i use the lee one piece decapping rod in my rcbs? im just not sure if the rod will fit in the compression fittings because no one i know has this rod. does any one on here happen to have one the can mic out for me? the rcbs rod mic's out to 2.002. thanks for any help you guys can provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "lee and rcbs.... interchangable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
i can i think drill out the fittings depending on how extreme the size difference is

GCBurner
March 13, 2013, 11:41 PM
The Lee and RCBS parts aren't interchangeable, but if you just need something for decapping cases, Lee sells a Universal Decapping Die by itself, just for that purpose.

ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:45 PM
do you know the size by chance of the rod on the lee unit?

Certaindeaf
March 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
If you crumpled the actual rod you had it adjusted too low.

jim243
March 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
No, different size stems. I bought the Lee Universal Decaping die and use it most of the time on rifle cases. Purpose was for decaping military cases and saving the decaping rods from getting bent. For pistol I just use my Lee dies.

Jim

lightman
March 13, 2013, 11:53 PM
Call RCBS! They will replace it for you, probably for free. Their customer service is among the best in the industry, heck, in the world. Lightman

ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:54 PM
and im sorry i miss typed the diameter of the rcbs rod. I meant .202 not 2.002

Certaindeaf
March 13, 2013, 11:54 PM
Jim, do you mean pin or rod?

ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
i know how i broke it. i just need a diameter measurement of the lee rod. and yes these military crimps are a bitch. according to rcbs the part is discontinued and they cant replace it

ch3no2freak
March 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
jim was refering to the part of the rod the clamps at the top

dsm
March 14, 2013, 12:15 AM
Yep, call RCBS. Without doubt, they will get you set up with all the parts you need.

jim243
March 14, 2013, 12:17 AM
Interesting, I was trying to find my extra decaping rods from Lee. It's been years since I bent or broke one. Who knows where they are hidden.

The RCBS rod has threading up and down the rod, the Lee rods are smooth and use a different locking system (compression nut). If I ever find them, I will take a picture to show the differences.

Lightman is correct, just call RCBS and they will replace the rod for free. I doubt they have changed the design (Maybe) in years or they should be able to get you one from old stock.

Jim

jim243
March 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
RCBS on the Left - Lee Universal on the Right

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0872.jpg

Jim

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
lol i just realized the pics i uploaded did not post like i thought they did. let me try reposting the pics so you can see what i mean. my rcbs dies are older model dies. it does not use the threaded rod like you are thinking. but if you could send me a measurement of the thickness of the lee rod?????? please???

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 12:35 AM
i have this and it broke

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181326&stc=1&d=1363232096

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 12:36 AM
so i want to know if this

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181327&stc=1&d=1363232164

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 12:38 AM
will fit in this??!!?!?!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181328&stc=1&d=1363232254

jim243
March 14, 2013, 12:49 AM
0.202 inch

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0874.jpg

gamestalker
March 14, 2013, 01:33 AM
RCBS will take care of you. Just e-mail them and explain the problem and they'll either just send the replacement out to you, or swap everything out for new.
GS

ArchAngelCD
March 14, 2013, 01:39 AM
You keep saying the dies are old but 1991 isn't all that old. I have dies from the 70's which RCBS has replaced parts. Do not assume they can't fix them and if they can't fix your older die they will still replace it. Call them, don't email them and they will fix the problem, really... Don't try to order the parts because that might get you the "we don't have them anymore" answer but they will replace anything that's broken.

david_r
March 14, 2013, 02:42 AM
I learned something in this thread. If you have a very specific question, you must ask it a minimum of 4 times before it will be answered :p

Confirmed Lee decapping pin is .202. Length from end to shoulder is 3 5/8" if you need to know.

Are you aware that your resizing die won't resize the neck properly if you replace an expander ball type decapping pin with a straight decapping pin?

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 03:35 AM
omg david thank you so god damn much! finally i cant believe it took that long to get that simple answer. and yeah im aware. but thank you for the info finally. where the hell were you like 3 hours ago?!

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 03:38 AM
and jim thank you too however i wasnt asking about the ones that are straight like that. i posted a pic of the one i was asking about

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 03:40 AM
and again i already called rcbs. they told me i was **** out of luck. like a said before so this makes twice now. i already called them. now three times

GLOOB
March 14, 2013, 04:46 AM
First off, gotta say this thread is LOL-arious.

http://leeprecision.com/ez-x-exp-30-cal-med.html

Bad news. They're out of stock!

Good news, Lyman M die is in stock
http://www.lymanproducts.com/cgi-bin/sc/order.cgi?rd=1&storeid=*0e36a4f813743f2066&sbid=SSMSB1363247004.13413&redirect=yes

Well worth the money, if you can afford the extra die/step/change in your reloading setup. Then you'd need any regular decapping stem from Lee, or a 22-284 decapping stem. W/e is in stock. I have one for both my rifle calibers. It makes expanding easier with no lube needed, less stretching of the brass, and flat base bullets go in easy and straight without scraping, even if you don't chamfer your brass every single reload. Actually, I don't inside chamfer my brass, at all, using these dies.

Cleftwynd
March 14, 2013, 04:55 AM
How odd, just two weeks ago RCBS replaced the rod, button and several pins on an early 60's die set for me. I have never ever heard of RCBS telling someone they are SOL. Smells fishy in here.....

david_r
March 14, 2013, 05:25 AM
You probably aren't aware of this but we can't see your pictures.

FROGO207
March 14, 2013, 06:28 AM
Well there are two styles of decapping rods---old and new. The old ones are indeed no longer available. The good folks at RCBS do make a new style decapping rod assembly that WILL retrofit the old dies. I have been the recipient of one in 308 within the last 6 months. RCBS has in the past ALWAYS repaired or replaced their product. Asking for parts by part number might be your problem. I called and told them the expander ball was worn too small and needed it replaced and gave the date on the die. They told me there was an upgraded rod assembly and sent the whole thing and adapter for free.:) You might try telling them that you have a bent decapping rod and need the whole assembly replaced. :cool:

I see no pictures either.??

Certaindeaf
March 14, 2013, 10:02 AM
You should show them those pictures.

wild willy
March 14, 2013, 10:23 AM
I'd like to see pictures of the die.He says they are not threaded. Maybe RCBS made a few unusual dies.

ch3no2freak
March 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
and also i guess that does mean that some parts are interchangeable

ArchAngelCD
March 14, 2013, 10:50 PM
Well there are two styles of decapping rods---old and new. The old ones are indeed no longer available. The good folks at RCBS do make a new style decapping rod assembly that WILL retrofit the old dies. I have been the recipient of one in 308 within the last 6 months. RCBS has in the past ALWAYS repaired or replaced their product. Asking for parts by part number might be your problem. I called and told them the expander ball was worn too small and needed it replaced and gave the date on the die. They told me there was an upgraded rod assembly and sent the whole thing and adapter for free.:) You might try telling them that you have a bent decapping rod and need the whole assembly replaced. :cool:

I see no pictures either.??
I tried to tell the OP that but I got told off...

If you enjoyed reading about "lee and rcbs.... interchangable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!