Poll: Level of involvement in reloading.

PDA

USSR
March 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
Guys,

Interested in knowing where everyone is in regards to providing for the feeding of your firearms. I suspect we may have quite a few new guys involved in reloading, and hope this poll will shed some light on our level of involvement in this.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: Level of involvement in reloading." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bush Pilot
March 14, 2013, 10:41 AM
I've got nine Dillon presses, I guess I'm sort of involved :)

gilly6993
March 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
About 3 years....bought my LNL about a month after I got my LTC....new to rifle though....

kerreckt
March 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have been reloading since about 1983 (with a press) and casting since about 1993. I started with a Lee 16ga. handloader in about 1969. I am certain that there are plenty of folks on this forum who have done it long but I consider this to qualify as a "longtime" reloader and caster. I do some aspect of either loading or casting about 5 days a week. Probably, one of the reasons I am divorced. A mans gotta have his priorities.

leadchucker
March 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
I've been loading for my auto pistols for a couple of years now. I just recently got a set of 38 spl dies so I could load some fodder for my old S&W model 10. I was considering trying a hand at casting some boolits for it.

Belmont148
March 14, 2013, 11:18 AM
Just started reloading after Sandy Hook forced me to get off the fence after 2 years of research. Luckily I have everything I need at pre-panic prices and enough components to load about 6000 rounds over the next 12 months while I learn and develop my loads. By years end hopefully inventory will be back to normal and I can make some bulk purchases of my goto components and make a plan for the next 2 years.

Calibers I am loading:
7.62x39
30-30
.45acp
9mm
.380acp

I plan to add 44 spl/mag and .45LC to the list next year. So while I am new, I have jumped in head first and became pretty involved reather quickly. I think my tumbler runs 9 hours out of the day at the moment. :)

Searcher4851
March 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
Been reloadin for over 30 years, but only ever cast for my muzzle loaders until a couple of years ago when I started casting for cartridges as well.

cfullgraf
March 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
I checked "long time loader but do not cast" as i do not currently cast my own bullets.

But, I did cast them in the past and still have the equipment. I still shoot cast bullets. I just do not want to spend the time making them these days.

I have been reloading since about 1980

EMC45
March 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty new at reloading. I started in 1998.

joecil
March 14, 2013, 11:32 AM
I'm also new to reloading for a little over a year though my father reloaded for years I didn't due to cheap ammo. Now I do reload for all my guns however I currently can't cast where I live but will as soon as I retire later this year and move. I have cast previously mostly for cap and ball pistols and rifles years ago. I'm using a Lee Classic Turret and Lee Classic Cast presses for my location with a Lee hand press for range/cowboy action stuff away from home.

Arkansas Paul
March 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
Don't really know where I fit in that poll.

I've been reloading for about 3 years or so now. Casting less than 2, so I'm fairly new to both. One is about as addictive as the other to me.

holdencm9
March 14, 2013, 11:55 AM
Within the last 6 months. Bought a .45 last summer and had to devise a way to afford shooting it. Turns out to be quite serendipitous as now I reload 9mm and .223 too.

IlikeSA
March 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
I started reloading in early 2012, and only for 45 acp. I do want to start reloading for .357/.38 though.

USSR
March 14, 2013, 12:09 PM
Don't really know where I fit in that poll.

I've been reloading for about 3 years or so now. Casting less than 2, so I'm fairly new to both. One is about as addictive as the other to me.

A.P.,

Given the limited options in this poll, I'd consider you a long time reloader and caster. When I think of someone new to an activity, I'm thinking, say, 6 months or since the drought began.

Don

Godsgunman
March 14, 2013, 12:10 PM
Just started reloading in the last month. Mainly reloading .357 mags but plan on adding 9x19 soon, just need to add the dies for them.

kostner
March 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Wife & I had side by side press when we started 25 yrs. ago. Now I'm on my own at the bench in the evening reloading. Still enjoy it and thinking about investing in a new
Hornady LnL press. Using two SDB's 9mm & 45acp and a Lee Classic turret for everything from 380 to 3006. Casting is a hoot and I use Lee molds and furnace both rifle and pistol bullets. Good luck and hope you enjoy the hobby as much as my family does.

Magnum Shooter
March 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
I have been reloading for over 30 and casting for 20 years.

FallAirFever
March 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
I have only bee reloading about a year, all for rifle.

I load for 270 win, 7mm RM, 308 win, 223 rem and 30-06. I reload with son and for some friends and I really enjoy it!

esheato
March 14, 2013, 01:48 PM
Been loading for 12 years or so...shotgun, rifle and pistol. Not much I shoot that isn't rolled by yours truly.

IME, I didn't really understand firearms, and more importantly, I didn't really have the round count to shoot well until I started loading. The benefits are vast, and I dare say that if you don't load, I consider you a plinker. Of course, there are exceptions......

Until I got to the point that I could shoot without seeing quarters flying downrange with every trigger press, I wasn't a true student of the gun.

No offense intended...it's just my opinion.

mljdeckard
March 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
I've been at it less than a year, I consider myself a noob.

dmazur
March 14, 2013, 02:27 PM
I've been reloading "seriously" for around 10 years. (Discounting the "Whack-a-mole era...)

I only reload .243, .30-06, .45ACP and .44Mag, so my experience is somewhat limited by this.

Until I got a Garand, I'm not sure I understood headspace. (And maybe still don't, but that led me further down the path to enlightenment.)

And until I trimmed 1000 cases with a lathe-type trimmer, I didn't understand what a Giraud was for. :)

SlowFuse
March 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
I selected that I am a new reloader. Been going at it for a little over 2 years.

I'm looking very seriously at starting to cast my own but I'm not sure if I have time for it.

James2
March 14, 2013, 02:44 PM
Guess I am an old timer. Started reloading in 1957, and casting in 1958. I first reloaded for 30-30, then got a 44 Spl and started casting 44 bullets. Now days, I cast for 44, 357, and 45. I never did try casting for the 30-30 nor any rifles. Now that I am retired I have more time to enjoy the shooting. Reloading, casting and shooting more than at any time previously.

USSR Don, are you going to tell us about you?

Clark
March 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
I was pouring lead in 1965 and one of the molds I made got a rain drop in it.

I got sprayed with Lead and had a Sliver looking face.
The doctor pulled a piece of Lead out of my eye was the impression of an eye ball.

The next day in first period 8th grade shop class, the instructor made fun of my poke a dot face. Everyone laughed.

TBH
March 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
James, you beat me to it I started reloading when I was 14 and that was in 1974. I was going to ask, does that make me old??? Bought my Dillon 550 around 1986.
I started reloading to shoot more for less money. Then realized my rifle ammo was more accurate and dependable than factory. A few years ago I discovered manufacturers were making match quality ammo, but I refused to pay $1-2 Per round.
Always loved reloading.

ReloaderFred
March 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
I started reloading in 1963 for .30-06, on a used Hollywood Senior press that I bought from one of my college professors for $25.00, including a set of dies. I'm now up to reloading for 30+ calibers, and I've reloaded between 750,000 and 800,000 rounds of ammunition, as close as I can determine.

Presses include that original Hollywood Senior, a larger Hollywood Senior, an RCBS Rockchucker (2nd one of those, since I wore one completely out and RCBS replaced it for free) a Hornady LNL that replaced the Hornady Pro-Jector that I wore out and Hornady rebuilt, again at no charge. I'm also in the slow process of refurbishing a Tri-Standard Load-a-Matic press from the 1950's. If I can get that one running again, I'll be in press heaven......

I've been casting bullets since 1968 and still at it. I'm always scrounging lead to feed the Magma Master Caster...... I also do some bullet swaging, both jacketed and lead, but that's another subject.

Hope this helps.

Fred

taliv
March 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
i started in elementary school when i got shotgun reloading setup for christmas one year. last 10 years it's been centerfire rifle and pistol. prob 100k rounds or so, but my round count is a good bit lower now that i am spending so much time past 3 years on precision rifle. when i was shooting AR/pistol a lot, i went through it faster.

3 or 4 times i've come very close to making my own jacketed bullets. haven't pulled the trigger yet, mostly because of the wait time on the equipment. the only lead i'd be even remotely interested in casting would be for 300blk

BullRunBear
March 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
Started almost 30 years ago with a couple of Lee Classic Loader kits. I now have 4 Lee presses and load for all my centerfire calibers and 12 ga. Began casting about the same time and can now cast for all my centerfire calibers and four sizes of round ball. I do maintain a good supply of commercial cast bullets as well.

Reloading and casting is a part of the firearms hobby for me. I'm extending that approach now that I'm retired by learning to make more of my black powder gear.

Jeff

Shmackey
March 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
Casting? Meh. If the last few months have taught me anything, it's that I want to learn to make my own primers.

Cosmoline
March 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
I do quite a bit of reloading but it's casual. I cast roundballs but not bullets. I'm not really set up to deal with a pot of molten lead, and I do worry about the fumes.

DAP90
March 14, 2013, 05:49 PM
I’ve had the money put aside for nearly a year and like an idiot, I waited, so I’m in the new, maybe later category.

Like everything else, presses seem to be backordered. I’ll probably start picking manuals this weekend; The ABC's of Reloading and maybe something with actual load data. If nothing else I can at least start reading. I’m completely new to it so that’s probably a good idea anyway.

USSR
March 14, 2013, 06:47 PM
USSR Don, are you going to tell us about you?

Well, while I've been shooting for 50+ years, my involvement with reloading and casting only goes back about 35 years. Only? Where did those years go? Started out doing both reloading and casting for handguns in the late 70's. After a while, my interest turned to trap and skeet shooting, so I bought a MEC Grabber and did that for awhile. Eventually, my interest turned to 1,000 yard F Class competition, and trying to wring every possible bit of accuracy out of ammunition using precision reloading techniques continues to intrigue me. Some interesting stories, guys. I must say the poll results as of now don't surprise me. Most reloaders don't cast as expected, and 1 out of 5 reloaders are new to the activity. Thanks for your input guys.

Don

mj246
March 14, 2013, 07:00 PM
Just started reloading last year. I really like shooting rounds that I "made" myself, not to mention the cost savings. I don't have any plans to cast my own bullets in the near future, but may consider it further down the road.

xtarheel
March 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
Started in 1971 with a Lee Loader and a hammer. I now have dies in 23 calibers.

KansasSasquatch
March 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
I went ahead and chose new reloader. I've been doing it for a little over a year and reload for 8-10 calibers. I don't cast yet but before the summer is over I will.

345 DeSoto
March 14, 2013, 08:49 PM
I got into reloading for accuracy...started when I shot on Police teams and Army teams in competition here in the US and Canada...1983. I have retired from both now, but I still reload for .38/.357, 45ACP, 22-250, and 7.62X39. Reloading 22-250 for accuracy at VERY long distances gives me rounds that I could NEVER buy over the counter...

Walkalong
March 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Long time reloader and caster, but not actively casting right now.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
March 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
xxx

BullRunBear
March 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
May not be as pretty as commercial ammo but there is real satisfaction in seeing boxes of cartridges I've carefully loaded with bullets cast in my garage and knowing they will do the job.

Jeff

ArchAngelCD
March 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
I have an RCBS Rockchucler, a Forsters Co-Ax press and a Lee 4 Hole Turret press. I reload for everything I shoot but for the 7.62X54R and 7.62X39 but if prices keep going up that might change too.

orionengnr
March 14, 2013, 09:15 PM
I cannot find an appropriate poll response.
I'm not a "new" reloader, and I am not a long-time reloader.
Five or six years at this point.

USSR
March 14, 2013, 09:17 PM
Good to see 2 of the many guys on this site that contribute regularly with their years of experience: Walkalong and ReloaderFred. Now, where the heck is rcmodel? Anybody surprised by the poll numbers?

Don

ArchAngelCD
March 14, 2013, 09:22 PM
Not surprised at the numbers especially since the thread is on the reloading forum...

WNTFW
March 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
Don,
I am not surprised by the results.
Any one that would vote no probably won't be looking in the reloading section.
Once you feel competent to do what you need done the newness is over.
Bullet casting is a pretty big jump for many people.

LeonCarr
March 14, 2013, 09:39 PM
I started Handloading in 1989 at the age of 17 on an RCBS Rockchucker. Dad asked me what I wanted for high school graduation, and I said a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum (I worked at the Sporting Goods Counter at Wal-Mart, we still sold handguns at the time, and it was the largest handgun we sold :)).

After several trips to the range throwing out a 50 Cent Piece everytime I pulled the trigger, I started loading for the .44 Magnum and about ten years later started casting bullets for it. The satisfaction of loading your own ammunition, casting your own bullets, and shooting them watching your handiwork put every factory load out there to shame is off the charts.

Fast forward to 2013, 2 Dillons, 2 Redding T-7s, and an RCBS JR and I am still at it.

The next step will be shotshell reloading, specifically building buckshot and slug loads.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Fatelvis
March 14, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'm weird.....I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting.

March 14, 2013, 09:55 PM
I started reloading in 2006. I started with dies for .38spl/.357mag, .22-250, and 7.62x54r. I have since grown my habit...I mean hobby... into several other calibers. I am not a newb but still claim ignorance in many aspects of reloading. I have learned a lot from a co-worker who started loading back in 1970 and from many of you here on THR. While I have given thought to casting, I just cannot get passed the initial startup investment when MBC is so reasonable. If I find a deal at a yard sale or something, I would try it out.

dragon813gt
March 14, 2013, 09:56 PM
I reload and I cast. I know how to and have made my own black powder. I know how to make priming compound and smokeless powder. They are next on my to try list as I haven't actually made any. I make my own gas checks and while I do buy lube I can easily make it. I like to not be beholden to any companies to feed my firearms. I'm sure I could make cases if I really had to. Just wouldn't be able to produce them quickly or in mass quantity. If I ever bought a mill I wouldn't be buying anymore firearms as well ;)

Brought to you by TapaTalk

carbuncle
March 14, 2013, 09:58 PM
I started reloading 9mm and .40 last summer but had to stop when we relocated across the country to an apartment. Hope to take it up again as soon as we get into a proper house again.

Posted from my car phone.

USSR
March 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
I am not surprised by the results.
Any one that would vote no probably won't be looking in the reloading section.
Once you feel competent to do what you need done the newness is over.
Bullet casting is a pretty big jump for many people.

Not really talking about the "No" part. Although the "maybe later" part of that option indicates that a couple guys are at least thinking about it. 20% of the reloaders responding are fairly new. I thought maybe there would be quite a few due to the present situation regarding ammo availability. That most guys that reload don't cast their own bullets doesn't surprise me either. Seems to be a much more practical thing for handgun shooters than rifle shooters.

Don

ArchAngelCD
March 14, 2013, 10:21 PM
Not really talking about the "No" part. Although the "maybe later" part of that option indicates that a couple guys are at least thinking about it. 20% of the reloaders responding are fairly new. I thought maybe there would be quite a few due to the present situation regarding ammo availability. That most guys that reload don't cast their own bullets doesn't surprise me either. Seems to be a much more practical thing for handgun shooters than rifle shooters.

Don
I have a feeling there will be a lot of reloading equipment either NIB or hardly used once ammo becomes available again. It happened last time and I'm thinking it will happen again. It's too bad I don't need anything but for projectiles.

FROGO207
March 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
I started reloading/casting under my grandfathers guidance about 1968 and on my own about 1974. I can cast/size for any caliber now save for the 500 S&W but I find it easier to call Brad at MB and order a pile O bullets at the present cost. I can actually work a weekend on overtime every so often and it pays for my components for a good while.:D I do cast the low volume stuff I use for the fun of it however. Not quite ready to make a shot tower either so I buy my shot also. When this all calms down I will be getting some Lee high capacity buckshot molds though.:cool: My single ball 00 mold is too slow I find.

16in50calNavalRifle
March 15, 2013, 01:41 AM
My older brother started reloading back in the late 1960s to feed his Ruger Blackhawk (I was still a little kid). My best friend and I used to "borrow" some of his Unique or 2400 to, uh .... burn stuff. So I guess that was my first contact with reloading.

Fast forward to 2010, I started reloading for 9mm, 38/357, 45ACP, and 30 Carbine. For the classic mix of reasons (cost, fun, ability to customize) - and also because my brother had told me reloading would help develop my understanding of firearms and their operation. He's right! He keeps nudging me to get a chrony, but for my purposes (plinking and informal competitions), it's really not vital. And I'm still very happy that I met my goal of acquiring my basic set-up for less than 50% of the cost of new by buying used gear. My stuff paid for itself very quickly.

So I'm pretty new, especially compared to the distinguished reloading veterans around here (hey, where IS rcmodel, anyway?). One thing is fun to note: on THR, the bulk of my time and my "first checked" forum quickly became this one after I caught the disease, er, started on the hobby. And not for the first time, I'd like to salute THR and the reloading vets here for their great insights and useful info - first hobby/activity I've ever had where interaction with an online community has played such a large role.

Don't cast, don't really plan to start any time soon. Good cast bullets are still fairly cheap and available, from multiple sources, and I can't devote more time to reloading than I already do.

Random closing thoughts ...... I've never been a consumer in a market where the vendors are as responsive and quick to give you something for free as in reloading - it's pretty amazing. Very few problems so far, but all issues seem to be resolved quickly and usually for no cost. And some day I'd like to have the time, the real estate, the opportunity, and the sense of adventure to experiment like Clark ..... til then I'm thrilled with reloading and, like many here have observed, it's become an integral part of the fun of shooting.

BigBoreJay
March 15, 2013, 01:51 AM
Newbie - 4 years loading. I will start casting when supplies become available. Moulds are non-existant in popular calibers.

.22-5-40
March 15, 2013, 02:02 AM
When I was 15, I taught myself how to run ball for my Navy Arms 1851 Colt navy .36 percussion revolver. On an old cast-iron wood burning range in barn, little 10# pot, old bent spoon. and Lyman dbl. cavity 375 round ball mould. Fast forward 44 years..and over 100 moulds later..load cast in .22 Hornet to .577 Snider.

HOWARD J
March 15, 2013, 02:06 AM
Started reloading in the early 70's.
Gave up on lead bullets years ago---spent too much time cleaning lead out of 41, 44, etc.
Save a lot of money for a long time--now it is just a hobby.
Retired 14 years---gives me something to do.

Mac2
March 15, 2013, 02:46 AM
Started casting .375 and .440 rb in the mid 70's. It's how we fed our hobby, Dad and me. Tap a cap came in and I could make percussion caps from drink cans and roll caps, Goex is all we needed. I still use Goex only, and have never used that "other" stuff. The old Lee loader w/ mallet introduced me to metallic cartridge reloading of .38's and the beauty of junk yard wheel weights. Then came the RCBS Rockchucker that I still use today. Almost 40 years later I reload for everything I shoot, less 7.62 X 54R or .22. I still get wheelweights. I keep at least 700# of casting lead at all times. I don't remember the last commercial rounds I have bought except the 7.62 X 39's and 54's and .22's.

cota
March 15, 2013, 03:30 AM
Been reloading since i was a boy, my father grandfather and uncles were waterfowlers and i used to watch them reload the 4gauges and 8gauges, and they set me off reloading for a .410 at 9 years then as i grew up went on to reload 16gauge then 12s, then from about 15 years i reloaded for various rifle calibers.
Currently reload for the following /
7mm rem mag
30/30 win
20ga
16ga
12ga
10ga
8ga

Texan Scott
March 15, 2013, 04:20 AM
How about "dabbled with a couple calibers on a friend's equipment, still interested but lack time/ funds"?

Reloadron
March 15, 2013, 06:10 AM
Started shooting when I was about 8 years old under my grandfather's tutelage. When I came home from Nam in '72 I developed an interest in reloading simply seeking accuracy as I had an interest in sniper rifles.

I never got into casting my own bullets mostly due to time restraints and I traveled extensively for work. I always just found it simpler (easier) to buy my cast bullets. Once in Cleveland (ended up here in '90) to settle down I had the old National Bullet Company locally making over the counter buying easy. Literally a few blocks from my work.

Finally with about 6 weeks to go till I retire (but whose counting) casting bullets is something I plan to start playing around with. It was always in the back section of my mind as a someday. Finally in my life everyday will be the weekend. :) Finally plenty of leisure time to devote to my shooting.

Ron

Jessie James 58
March 15, 2013, 12:05 PM
I guess I fit into the old farts category. I started reloading in 1960, I reloaded 12 G shotgun (the shells were paper back then), and 243, for my Remington Mod 600 rifle

DeadFlies
March 15, 2013, 05:29 PM
I started reloading about a year ago to save money. We are a 1-income family and $$$ is tight. I load cast bullets almost exclusively and am happy to buy bullets from MBC or the local guy (Harrison Cast Bullets at Recobs here Madison/Prairie du Sac).

I may look into casting my own soon. I have a great source of lead and a mentor to whack me on the knuckles every time I make a mistake.

BYJO4
March 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
I began reloading in 1974 and still find it a relaxing hobby. However, I have never been interested is casting my own bullets.

Dframe
March 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
I have 4 presses and have been loading since 1968. Does that make me involved?

erikk8829
March 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Been reloading & casting since early 50's

RustyFN
March 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
I voted long time reloader and caster because it fit the best but I didn't feel seven years as long time. I started reloading seven years ago and haven't bought factory ammo since except rimfire and shotgun. I started casting for my 1911 six years ago. My 1911 has never seen any bullets except my own cast. I feel like I'm pretty involved.

JimKirk
March 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
I first pulled the handle on a reloading press sometime in 1965... I was ten years old and helped my older friend load 44 mag, 270 Win and 244 Rem. I bought my first press in 1969 and have been at it ever since .... picked up casting in the mid '70s ... still at both ...

cowtownup
March 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
I'm kinda new... I've got about 2000 rounds of 40 S&W under my belt and less than 100 rounds of 308 Win..

I figured up the other night that I was about $0.25 per round into my 40 s&w but I've had to account for initial brass cost and this was with Berry's plated bullets.. When I reload these and don't have to figure in the brass, I'll be down in the $0.19 cent per round range.. I also added in the cost of the hazmat fee where I bought online, these are my true cost.. I hope that my LGS will help me knock a few more pennies off as things calm down...

For me, there is something about the repetitive motion of snatching that handle down and getting in a zone paying close attention to what I'm doing that takes my mind off other worries.. I work with a Hornady LNL single stage so it takes me some time to produce rounds, but I feel really good about the rounds I produce and their quality. It has been a very enjoyable hobby for me and I appreciate the help I've gotten from THE HIGH ROAD that got me started in the right direction....

280shooter
March 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
I been reloading and casting since late 60s,,

Hondo 60
March 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
Longtime reloader - Added bullet casting this month.
I got lucky & found furnace, molds, etc in stock at http://www.titanreloading.com
I went back last week to order another mold & they're sold out of everything.

Still playing with powders & charge levels.
I could be at this for months before I find a go-to powder & charge level.
DARN! Another reason to back to the range. ;)

chris in va
March 16, 2013, 01:57 AM
Reloading and casting for about two years. I can't remember the last time a factory bullet left my handguns.

Kerf
March 16, 2013, 06:57 AM
I been reloading and casting since late 60s... the first box of bullets I bought for reloading my .38 spl. was a box of 9mm. The store didn't have any .38s, and told my the .355 9mm would work since they were only a few thousandths off. I still have that box of 9mms, never having owned one.

kerf

If you enjoyed reading about "Poll: Level of involvement in reloading." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!