Anybody "convert" a conventional hunting rifle?

PDA

HoosierQ
March 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
By having a front sight dovetailed on and a receiver peep sight like a Williams drilled and tapped?

I have a nice little rifle with a scope that I'd consider doing this to if I could find a competent smith...and I may have.

Anybody gone backwards in time like this? Did it work out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody "convert" a conventional hunting rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coop45
March 14, 2013, 02:24 PM
Williams makes a sight that goes into the scope mount holes in the receiver.

BCRider
March 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
I've seen and shot a few that had receiver mounted ghost rings or "proper" rear peep sights. For out to 100 yards I think they would be a good option if the shooter still has resonably decent vision. I'd be comfortable putting shots into a 3 to 4 inch area with such sights and my own eyes aren't all that sharp.

Between plain rear notch sights on the barrel or a rear peep sight I'll take the rear peep hands down. For me the peep sight means obtaining an easy and near instant sight picture as I shoulder the gun instead of having to play "where is it" with a fuzzy looking rear notch. And the reciever mounted peep combined with a nice front sight can make for some pretty good aiming even out past 100 depending on what you're aiming at.

You may want to also look at the idea of the Lyman globe style front sight as part of the system. with the ring insert it produces a nice set of circles with the target spot visible in the smallest one. For me this works well since it leaves my intended impact point visible. And the concentric ring view created with the rear peep and the circles of the globe style front sight seems to be a natural picture to center easily.

Keep in mind that a target style peep sight with a truly small size aperature cuts down on the available light. Not a problem on a brightly lit range or out in open country but it may cause the sight picture to be pretty dim in darker woods. The key there is to go with a larger peep aperature to let more light through.

By now it should be pretty obvious that I'm a HUGE peep sight fan... :D I'm slowly moving towards using peep sights on just about all my rifles other than the couple I've got set up with scopes.

The ones I'm converting already have front dovetails though. It sounds like your barrel doesn't have a dovetail on it yet. What you may want to do instead of cutting a dovetail into the metal is look at having a saddle style sight base soldered onto the barrel instead.

Given the height of the sight line on any sort of adjustable rear peep sight you'll need the height at the front in any event. And a saddle style base can be removed and the blueing touched up to restore the barrel later on if you or the next owner should so desire.

snakeman
March 14, 2013, 02:48 PM
Or just spend about the same on a mossberg 100 atr with irons.

danweasel
March 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
I put reciever mounted peep sights (XS Sights-recommended!) on my Stevens 200. It is so amazingly fun. And I assume practical but I haven't really "used" it yet.

-Dan

HoosierQ
March 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
Well I am going to give the scope a go but I am much more accustomed to peep sights. Rear leaf sights just do not work for my eyes. Tech sights are great and were easy to put on the rifles I had. AR standard sights work very well for me. Most milsurp bolts don't have peeps and I cannot find a nice 1917...but I'll keep looking. Done the Enfield thing and hate chasing down .303 ammo.

I also have line on an older Marlin and I'll be peep sighting that but of course it has a front sight already so that one's a snap.

BigG
March 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
Without a front sight mounted a lot of barrels are too slim to put a dovetail in. Probably need to put on a ramp.

Hillbillyz
March 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
I have my Dad's Remington 141 with a Redfield peep sight that he had installed. A very good set up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody "convert" a conventional hunting rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!