Old brass

PDA

jose wales
March 14, 2013, 01:55 PM
I need some help and advice. I have some used brass that hasnt been resized or worked and it has new primers installed. Any ideas how I can resize it without messing with the new primers ?? Not real sure what to do with it. Bought used brass for my 7 Mag. :banghead::cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Old brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jerkface11
March 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Just remove the decapping pin from the die.

351 WINCHESTER
March 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
Take out the decapping pin.

mljdeckard
March 14, 2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah, remove the de-capping pin. (Or just retract it a bit.) They guy you got it from may have just neck sized it, I would re-size.

FROGO207
March 14, 2013, 02:14 PM
You can remove the primers, do whatever you want to with the brass, and reinstall them if you want. I have done it hundreds of times with no problem. If you do just use steady pressure to remove the primers---do not pound on them with the depriming pin or such. It takes a sharp blow to set off a primer not steady pressure pushing a primer out. That will work OK. Or if you want to the above answers will work also. If full length sizing I would leave the expander button in if possible and just remove the decapping pin.

45lcshooter
March 14, 2013, 03:17 PM
I just leave the pin in, and push slow. When I'm ready to reprime, they back in as easy as the first time they went in.

Cleftwynd
March 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
As others have stated, best way is to remove the decapping pin, works slick and safe.

dagger dog
March 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
Was this a mistake, brass primed without being resized, or is it maybe new primed 7mm brass?

You can measure the inside diameter of the case neck with a caliper and compare it to the drawing spec's in a reloading manual. Some brass is sold new and primed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!