Alternative to Tapatalk?

PDA

Sport45
March 15, 2013, 12:58 AM
Is there a mobile app that works here besides tapatalk? I got this iPhone 3GS from my son and it is version 4.0.1. Tapatalk requires iOS 4.3. My son tells me there's a good chance it will brick this phone if I upgrade the operating system.

Any advice? I have a iPhone 5 that works great at home, but want to use this one when traveling since the local SIM cards always fit...

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative to Tapatalk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gaerek
March 15, 2013, 04:43 AM
Any reason why it would brick the phone? I'm guessing its jailbroken? If it is, is there a need for it to be? If not, you should be able to upgrade to then latest version without issue, it would just likely remove the jailbreak. As for an alternative? Sorry, using Tapatalk on my iPad right now.

Sport45
March 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
I think I have to keep the jailbreak in order to use MyWi tethering. But I don't know all that much about iPhones...

Gaerek
March 15, 2013, 02:35 PM
I've done the jailbreak thing in the past, not now. Though I believe they have a new one out that works with everything back to the 3GS and works with the latest version (6.1.2). Might be worth looking into. I prefer non-jailbroken phones for stability reasons, but if you need it, you need it.

WardenWolf
March 15, 2013, 04:49 PM
I wish there WAS something better than Crapatalk. I use an Android phone and it's pretty awful. I'd rather just view it in the normal browser and at least have the site be fully functional.

For a brief period we had a THR forum app for Android, but it disappeared. I wonder what happened to it.

Derek Zeanah
March 15, 2013, 04:52 PM
For a brief period we had a THR forum app for Android, but it disappeared. I wonder what happened to it.
We didn't have it. Some dude in India put it out, put his ads on it, and claimed an affiliation with us.

We can do the same thing with a custom-branded Tapatalk version. I'd rather just have a mobile skin that works well, but that'll need to wait until we are eventually forced off of vBulletin 3.

WardenWolf
March 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
Ah, good to know. Oh well. It worked better. The problem with Tapatalk is that certain PM and other features don't work properly. The 3rd party app actually worked well.

Derek Zeanah
March 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
The 3rd party app actually worked well.Apparently it's about identical to the custom version of Tapatalk, and it connects through the Tapatalk API. Apparently it's a "borrowed" version of the code.

I don't know though. Just passing on what I was told.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative to Tapatalk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!